do you prefer plastic or cloth back diapers

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

littlekawai24

Contributor
Role
  1. Other
I prefer cloth ones as they are more breathable but they leak more. i wear plastic ones when going out and cloth back ones during the summer at home

Last edited:
Reactions: BabyLink9
Nothing worse than Cloth-backed!

• Haha
Reactions: CptKirk
Cloth backed are my favorite! No other kind of diapee is sweeter or cuter than them to me, and when I have one on it’s an instant regressor!
I love cloth backed Cushies, Little Kings and Alphagatorz the most. I’ve never had any issue with them not holding fluid properly like some have. Especially the latter two, which hold a pretty incredible amount! Nothin better than something ultra soft and soggy with the most adorable patterns on em 🥰🥰

Reactions: BabyLink9
mostly plastic back..

I wear cloth backed usually out and about (but not exclusively), always wear plastic backed at home…

Must say I like plastic backed more, mostly because of stealth reasons though.
Cloth feels very comfy and soft but (in my experience) tends to smell like wet diaper a lot quicker.
I tried only one kind of cloth backed though and overall it was pretty nice.

Reactions: Diaperon and BigKid25
I prefer to wear plastic backed diapers but they're hard to find in stores so I normally use cloth backed diapers

Reactions: BigKid25
I love the way cloth back diapers feel, i perfer them over plastic backed. Ive only ever worn abu cloth back diapers and have not had any issues.

Cloth-backed. That is, when I'm not in reusable (actual "cloth") diapers, which are the norm for me. I've worn drug-store-grade cloth-backed disposables, and yeah, they were lame. I really like the ABU ones, though. Little Kings are my favorite disposable diapers right now.

Cloth-backed adult diapers can be done right. And why not? They're what 99.9% of babies wear, and you don't see parents begging for a return to plastic backing. I think it's just a case of adult diapers needing to catch up--if they can.

(I don't hate plastic-backed diapers, though. Not the cute AB ones, anyway. My last choice will always be anything medical.)

Last edited:
Generally I vote for plastic back but every once in a while I want the feel of cloth back. It just depends (no pun intended).

Plastic feels more like the baby diapers i grew up with. Cloth feels like current day baby diapers.

As much as ABU has done a good job with cloth back, I prefer plastic because they do a better job at odour control.

Reactions: jamiejamie and CptKirk
I grew up in plastic backed. Many of the diapers I managed to get my hands on when older were plastic backed and thus will always hold a special place in my heart. I also prefer them for practical reasons such as odor control, no damp weepy feeling on the outside, and better for side sleeping. I do find cloth backed kind of icky mostly because my only exposure to them is low tier store brands and generic medical brands which every manufacturer and their mother is switching to these days. As said above it's not as if cloth backed adult diapers can't be done right. It's just that most manufacturers either haven't figured out how to do that or can't be bothered to do that because they're cheap. I would probably wear an adult diaper like that done right, possibly if a manufacturer could figure out how to protect against side sleeping leaks while still keeping it breathable and could bump up the odor control, I might be tempted to wear them more. Even then, The crinkle of plastic holds a special place in my heart and lets me know I need them as even the generic medical diapers of my era growing up were plastic so I may just wear plastic pants over them anyway. Cloth backed would likely never be my first choice, but I would not be opposed to wearing a particularly good one, especially if they were only kind of diapers left.

Reactions: Diaperon and BigKid25
I DETEST cloth backed dips! First issues is with the weakness of the wings as I've had the tabs tear right off....no not when I was putting them on, but in the middle of the night when I'm out like a light leading to a soaking wet bed. I find very few things in this life make me as miserable as waking up in a cold, wet bed. Instant way to ruin at least a day for me if I wake up like that. I also have noticed that the front area gets roughed up and then the tabs won't stick. Maybe the biggest issue is the fact that outside of the Seni line, every cloth like/breathable diaper I've tried seems to either seep wetness or wick wetness to the outside, kind of defeating the purpose of wearing a diaper. I also never can really smell anything when in a PE shelled diaper, but WOW can I smell odors when in a breathable (cloth backed) diaper.

No thanks, I'll stick with what I know works and that's a PE outer shell with sticky tabs/tapes.

Reactions: DiaperVapor and Diaperon
SO much of this depends (pun not intended) on the situation but a "real" diaper for me has it's own plastic backing and can be worn without plastic pants. I'm incontinent and I wear cloth-backed diapers on ocassion, but only either outdoors on with plastic pants over. To me a cloth-backed is closer to a pull-up since it can be taken off/put back on and the tapes can be constantly readjusted. A "real" diaper stays on until the next change.

Reactions: DiaperVapor and CptKirk
Plastic back diapers don't leak as easy in my experience and the cloth ones stretch out a lot and sag and plastic keeps odors in so nobody can smell what's in your pants

Reactions: DiaperVapor, CptKirk and inconsurferdude
I guess I think of padding like this:

underwear pad/guard > pull-up > any cloth-backed diaper > thin plastic-backed diaper > thick plastic-backed diaper > plastic-backed diaper/booster > cloth reusable diaper > cloth reusable diaper for bowel incontinence (with disposable liner for easier messy cleanup)

I wouldn't really ever use a booster even in a premium cloth-backed diaper without plastic pants because if I'm using a booster I plan on wearing it long enough that smell could become an issue before it was wet enough to need a change

And coverage like this:

none/boxers > boxer-briefs/briefs > onesie > plastic pants/onesie

I also think that a "real" diaper is designed to give its wearer some time to find a place to change in case of bowel incontinence even without plastic pants

Last edited:
While I wear both plastic and cloth back diapers, I prefer plastic back diapers. I don't really have problems with cloth back diapers leaking, unless of course I have exceeded the diaper's capacity, which would occur with any diaper. The issue with cloth back diapers for me is that when wet, they sag a lot, literally sliding off my hips. I wear plastic pants, or Big Tots, Baby Your Doll, or SatintheMaidenUSA diaper pants to remedy wet (and messy) diaper sag. I know that onesies are also great, but for some reason I just don't have an affiliation for a onesie.

I use plastic diapers because Cloth diapers I notice with Plastic pants make plastic pants Damp. I don't want that on my bed or chairs.

Reactions: CptKirk and inconsurferdude
I have had bad luck with cloth backed diapers either leaking through the topsheet or having issues with odor control. Plus they get caught up on my clothing.

Reactions: CptKirk
inconsurferdude said:
I guess I think of padding like this:

underwear pad/guard > pull-up > any cloth-backed diaper > thin plastic-backed diaper > thick plastic-backed diaper > plastic-backed diaper/booster > cloth reusable diaper > cloth reusable diaper for bowel incontinence (with disposable liner for easier messy cleanup)

I wouldn't really ever use a booster even in a premium cloth-backed diaper without plastic pants because if I'm using a booster I plan on wearing it long enough that smell could become an issue before it was wet enough to need a change

And coverage like this:

none/boxers > boxer-briefs/briefs > onesie > plastic pants/onesie

I also think that a "real" diaper is designed to give its wearer some time to find a place to change in case of bowel incontinence even without plastic pants
Your answer mentioned something I'm not at all familiar with and know little to nothing about. Where do you find an inexpensive, effective liner for bowel incontinence as you mentioned in the above post? I'm fortunate in that I generally do not have bowel incontinence but have spent roughly 75 (out of more than 700) days in the hospital and likely half of that at home where I wound up unable to move anything below my waist and then diapers were full use as necessary. I have autoimmune issues, spinal destruction (L2 through L5/S1) with the associated nerve damage PLUS indescribable chronic pain such as when in the aforementioned situation although my best day is never lower than a 4/10 on a pain scale it averages at least a 7/10 year round with the cool-cold weather months (here in NE Pa mid October through at least mid April though this year was mid May) and especially radical swings (from warmer to colder) in temperature/cold fronts as they leave me feeling as if I was run over by a truck.

I am not aware of a disposable liner for this need when wearing reusable diapers. I generally do not us cloth diapers (in these situations) mostly because of the high probability that they may become "soiled". I know cloth would be a "no-go" when hospitalized but when stuck in bed, incapable of getting out without others to physically remove me/put me back in reusable (cloth with waterproof cover) diapers could be an alternative to burning through a case-1.66 cases of disposables/month.

Have a good day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back