littlereynebow

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Little
  5. Incontinent
Hey y’all. I very recently got to the point of needing to wear diapers to work. My job requires me to do a lot of driving between addresses in my locality, and I am not often in an area where I can just run off to a secluded spot and do my business. I found myself with very late urges to urinate, and by the time I would get to my vehicle I would be dribbling. Factor in the time it takes to pick up equipment, safety cones n such…there were multiple times that I found myself standing at the door of my truck praying nobody was around because I had just pissed myself. My doctor said it’s urgency incontinence, and he prescribed a medication that is roughly $200 a month. Needless to say the diapers are slightly cheaper for my situation.

My question is this: how do y’all handle changing in public? How do you find a decent spot? I found a bathroom that has a trash can in the stall but it’s still pretty gross in there, and it’s hard to make the diaper secure. I’m also pretty anxious about somebody walking in and hearing the tapes. Any advice?

Reactions: m82a1, Lethdale, Edgewater and 1 other person
First item: forget anbout ayone caring you wear a diaper and you change in the restroom. You obviously NEED to wear (without your medication) so even if someone asked (which has NEVER happened to me in 30+ years), you have a true physical requirement you could note.

Second item: take a small carryon bag with you with the necessary supplies. My work bag I take on air trips has some wipes and plastic underpants (and for long flights a good disposable diaper) and I change in the airport terminal near the gate. For non-airport trips, fast-food places and gas-marts are a great resource for changing in a stall.

Even if someone made notice of your requirement would you really see them again just so they could bring up a conversation about your underwear? Not going to happen......this would only happen if you were really good friends and a good friend would be supportive. I understand your fear as a first-timer as I was afraid at age 8 of being discovered. Then I learned no one cared about who was using diapers when it was better than wetting the bed at night and sleep became miserable. Even in college I was open about my need to wear at night with my partners where we stepped up to a more personal level. Most (about 95%) became more at ease when I showed them I was at ease about wearing diapers for my situation. About 50% even expressed their appreciation for thinking of them when they did not have to wake up to a soggy situation due to me.

Reactions: Andy300, TeddyBunny, Dinotopian2002 and 6 others
I aim for a handicap stall (Which I usually have at work) but it's not too bad even in a regular sized stall as long as its just a wet change

Reactions: Dry247, littlereynebow, Edgewater and 1 other person
With a two years experience in being urinary IC (combined dribble and urge IC) I can tell that the number of public changes is for me quite low. I know the I can rely on my diapers, and with those ones I wear I have to change only once over the day. It's quite easy - If I'm going outside - to plan when I usually change, so either I change before I leave or I know that my diaper will last as long as I'm out. Of course I've also whenever I know that I'm out a little longer one or two spare diapers with me; there is always an opportunity (public bathrooms etc...) where to change and in case there is no trash can I simply put my used diaper in a small plastic bag and bring it back home. Kay is to wear proper (according your IC status) and reliable products so you don't have to change every two hours...

Reactions: iatec779, TeddyBunny, Lethdale and 4 others
I’ve been bringing one extra diaper to change into just in case I need it. Most of the time I’m able to make it to the bathroom if I’m working at my desk. The occasions that I can’t make it is why I bring the extra change. Not ideal but it’s better to have an extra than not have it 🤷‍♀️

• Love
Reactions: Ashton84, TeddyBunny, littlereynebow and 5 others
It depends on where I am and the time of year.

When I'm at work or far from home and shopping, I wear plastic pants and have a spare diaper, and when I need a change, I look for accessible toilets for the disabled. When I'm close to home, it's a diaper without plastic pants.
The exception is long journeys, then I wear a diaper with a reinforcement insert and plastic pants.

Reactions: TeddyBunny, littlereynebow, Edgewater and 2 others
You can diaper up either for ease and convenience of a fast change by wearing just a diaper, or you can diaper up for the long haul by wearing a premium diaper, a booster pad, and plastic pants. The latter choice is for maximum time between diaper changes and hopefully to preclude the need for a diaper change until you are home or in a "friendly" location.

Reactions: littlereynebow, Edgewater, slimjiminy and 1 other person
focus on preparation! having all the right supplies in a discreet backpack is whats going to make it easy and almost painless if you are ready for it all

Reactions: littlereynebow, Edgewater and chamberpot
I have a back pack (Company Swag) that i use for my supplies. 3 boosted diapers, changing pad, wipes, lotion and powder, scented disposal bags, and a medical grade room spray, that kills odor and leaves a fresh citrus scent. Luckily our bathrooms are single use and lock. Working in a doctors office, the room spray is not out of place. I have trouble changing standing, so lay to change. My only issue is, the bathrooms i have access to are in high traffic areas, and are not sound proofed which means you can hear everything going on inside. 3rd floor is employee only, and there is a shower room without a toilet, but is currently being used for storage. Im working up the courage to talk with our clinic manager to see if that can be cleared out, and used for my situation.

Sorry, this probably doesnt help with your situation, as you work outside but if you have access to a private restroom that would be helpful.

Joey

Reactions: Neroforte, littlereynebow and Edgewater
First, be prepared. Have whatever supplies you need. As others have said, keeping it in sometime of bag, backpack, etc. will make things easier.

As for anxiousness is *someone finding out*, in my experience (over a decade of U-IC), I don’t think anyone has ever noticed me changing in a public restroom. That includes multi-stall places, along the road rest stops, single person bathrooms, etc. Even changed in a public gym/gang area and folks were just oblivious (into their own thing I guess). I will admit that at the time, it was a bit heart stopping; but now, it is no big deal. For me, I’m just changing into a new underwear piece.

Reactions: Edgewater
I wear diapers, but with working from home a couple of dsys a week and having a private bathroom at work, my situation is easier than most. I also plan my shorter outings to avoid needing to change my diaper in a public rerstroom. But, occasionally, especially on car trips. a diaper change is required. Well, please be assured it gets easier with experience. Wearing a high quality diaper and a longer outerwear shirt, jacket, or sweater, to help conceal any bulges as your diaper fills up, will also prevent a few public changings.

I keep a longer jacket, with bigger pockets, and my spare diaper and plastic bag in one of them, in my car, for diaper changes on the road, Then I can leave my purse locked in the car, so I don’t have to worry about it touching dirty surfaces. Then I can take my coat off in the restroom, place it so I lean against it, to hold up the back my diaper until I can get the tabs started. It is alway an awkward procedure, but, again, with practice, easily manageable. Then, I can place my used diaper in the bag, and then into my jacket pocket for discreet disposal elsewhere, if others are in the room. You will just have to learn to accept the sounds your diaper makes, and ignore them, nobody knows what they are probably,except another diaper wearer, and they would surely understand your situation.

Well, best wishes, and I hope you make good progress learning to manage your diaper needs,

I avoid public changes as much as possible but isn't always possible to wait till you get home. Here is what I do.

I carry all my supplies in a ordinary backpack
Diapers, wipes, black garbage bags, powder, cream, hand sanitizer & a complete change of clothing.

If I can't get into a single use bathroom & have to do stall type bathroom I try and get the stall furthest from the door
hang my bag on a hook if possible for easy access.
right before removing tapes I give the toilet a flush helps cover up noise
After that it's just clothes rustling sounds
Do my change and finish up.
Chuck the wet diaper in a black garbage bag and put it in the bathroom garbage.
Wash my hands and set a reminder to restock my bag when I get home.

Reactions: Lethdale, Kellycares and Edgewater
it is sort of learn as you go type of thing. finding what works best for you. planning ahead is important and trying to be over prepared for whatever may happen throughout your day. when out and about always have what we call my diaper backpack along. keep at least two diapers changes, wipes, cleansing cream, wash cloth, and small plastic bag for disposal of used diaper. also keep a well stocked backpack in the car as a backup along with a change of clothes just in case. these days it is kind of easy to find family style rest rooms out and about for privacy. not hard to find a Starbucks just be prepared to purchase a coffee / drink for se of their restroom. clean restrooms can be a challenge for a public rest room is only as clean as those who use it. mastering changing in your vehicle comes in handy. all that is truly required with your vehicle is parking is a private spot in any parking lot. as noted by others no big deal someone taking notice they are strangers so why care what they might think. in time this will become easier for sure

littlereynebow said:
Hey y’all. I very recently got to the point of needing to wear diapers to work. My job requires me to do a lot of driving between addresses in my locality, and I am not often in an area where I can just run off to a secluded spot and do my business. I found myself with very late urges to urinate, and by the time I would get to my vehicle I would be dribbling. Factor in the time it takes to pick up equipment, safety cones n such…there were multiple times that I found myself standing at the door of my truck praying nobody was around because I had just pissed myself. My doctor said it’s urgency incontinence, and he prescribed a medication that is roughly $200 a month. Needless to say the diapers are slightly cheaper for my situation.

My question is this: how do y’all handle changing in public? How do you find a decent spot? I found a bathroom that has a trash can in the stall but it’s still pretty gross in there, and it’s hard to make the diaper secure. I’m also pretty anxious about somebody walking in and hearing the tapes. Any advice?
Welcome to the demanding World of IC! Look for a product that allows you to stand and remove the diaper and put on a new one. If your incontinence is light a belted type of product may work well for you. If you need greater volume, brief style (tab) style diapers are available in a wide cross-section of capacities. I have long used medical scissor with the rounded pointy end and find they work great for cutting the diaper off with zero noise!

Yes, strongly recommend a diaper bag with everything you need, backpacks are excellent!

Hope this works for you!

Reactions: Lethdale, Neroforte, bdale and 1 other person
littlereynebow said:

My most recently experience I just got on with it. , I did wonder , 🤔 is anyone hearing this ? but honestly I think no one cares. I changed in a pub toilet and there is a gap and I had to change and put a new one on. There was guys in there going in the urinals and none of them said anything or listened in. , well I don't think they did. , do you have bag for emergency , wipes , nappies , underwear etc ?

littlereynebow said:
That's a tough one for you. Not sure if there is a fix to your issue. For myself, I own my business and I have a personal office and private bathroom. So changing for me is pretty easy. But like you I experience strong urges and on top of that I'm prone for flooding (and sometime flash floods). So when I'm out of the office I worry that my diaper will leak. If I know I'm going to be out for a longer period of time I add (in my bathroom) a quality booster (NorthShore Eternadry 2xl contour pad/doubler [10.5"x27"]) and of course plastic pants. Not exactly comfortable (a bit more bulky) but to be honest, I know I can go anywhere without having to change (hate restrooms).

I would suggest give you a better diaper with a booster (or 2) and some plastic pants. Yeah, I know. Pretty heavy duty coverage. What I do is to wear some compression shorts under my extra baggy pants. It works for me. Doing this will cover the rest of the day. No changing at all.

Reactions: Lethdale and Edgewater
Hey everybody. Thank you all so much for replying to my thread and leaving all of this wonderful advice. I did put together a “go bag” of sorts, with an extra change and supplies. It’s actually the same bag I was already putting my technological supplies in so that worked out pretty well. I think I’m going to have to do some experimenting to see how long I feel comfortable staying in a wet diaper. Wearing a diaper isn’t bad in itself, I enjoyed that before, but I never was a use sort of person so it’s taking some getting used to.

I definitely see the sense in what you all are saying about others being oblivious. When I think about it in a calm, safe environment I almost certain that my perception of sound is amplified when I am trying to change in public due to the anxiety. I’m hoping (or maybe just trying to trick myself into believing) that the noises are far quieter for those around me.

I did find something that helped me change standing up, and it opened my eyes a little bit the design of everyday objects. I was able to use that metal bar that’s next to the toilet in stalls to sort’ve hold the back of my diaper in place while I got everything else sorted. The fit after that change definitely felt better than some of the first ones I did.

Tomorrow’s big challenge:
Rock concert

Reactions: Edgewater and Neroforte
littlereynebow said:
Tomorrow’s big challenge:
Rock concert
I always wear at concerts. It’s really helpful and always feels good

I mostly try to avoid changing when I'm not at home, but as others have said, it's not always possible. Even the best diaper/booster system has its capability limits, and leaving a wet diaper on for too long risks smelling like stale pee.

I put on my diaper with the tapes snug enough that it doesn't sag, but lose enough that I can slip it down to use the toilet for the times I make it to the restroom. I wear a onesie as a base layer, and that helps a lot with supporting the diaper even if the tapes aren't extremely tight.

When I end up needing to change, I will take off my old diaper by tearing the sides, rather than untaping it. Tearing is much faster and quieter than messing about with tapes. Once I have the wet diaper off, I sit on the toilet to clean up. When I'm ready for a clean diaper, I put it around my thighs while in still seated, then tape it in the correct spots. I find can judge easily where the tapes soulful go since I've been wearing the same brand of diapers for years now. Then I can just stand up, pull the diaper up, snap the onesie over it, and pull my pants up. I usually put the used diaper in a disposal bag and discard it at home, but of there's a covered trash can I'll toss it there and then.

Total time is less than five minutes, and I've never had anobody question my time in the bathroom.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lethdale and Edgewater
Back