Can someone explain why 2+ gallon capacity diapers exist...?

I have always felt there is a confusion between wanting higher capacity and thicker diapers. I would be just fine with 5k ml capacity but with a thicker core. I think the manufacturer thinks higher capacity when we ask for thicker diapers.

So people can wear the same diaper all day without a need to change. Not that they can fill up 7,000mL worth of urine. It’s just a testing method that the diaper can soak up to 7,000mL before it starts to leak. But in real world, it isn’t possible. It’s good to have ultra high capacity diapers without having to worry about leaking when wearing all day.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, mistykitty, TigerDL and 3 others
IMHO, 2 words, which form a classic, relevant description: "pi**ing match".

I don't see the allure in a diaper which holds twice the volume of a small-block Chevy V8 engine. I love to waddle but need neither the 25 pounds of piddle-potty wetness painfully tugging down on my hips...nor the resultant, epic diaper rash. 🫢:cry:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Kellycares, BBBen, AttilaThePun and 5 others
Those diapers with extra big capacity is partly marketing trick, party that kind of capacity is theorethical one. Definitely not for walking and being active, more for bed. Even then use of pull up plastic pants is recommended because of side sleeping and slow absorbtion of liquid into diaper.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, Davvyboy and BobbiSueEllen
KeepCalmAndDiaperOn said:
I'm new and am interested in understanding as much about AB/DL as much as possible. So you'll probably see a couple more threads from me 😆

The large capacity of some of these diapers perplexes me because while I love the fact that they can hold so much, carrying it around is a whole 'nother thing.

Are there AB/DLs who will wear these large capacity diapers until they have 2-3 gallons of wettings in there? Is it for the roleplay aspect where they're maybe rolling around on the floor or in a crib where movement isn't necessary?

Thank you for your insights :)
Imagine you're disabled, and have been since birth. Being grown, you have a real job. You work for an, "as independent as possible, but it's not really possible, because these people need help to even think," living center.

You're attendant gets you up, changed, dressed, in your wheelchair, fed, yes, fed, and then, it's time for the bus to work. You don't see her again until it's dinner time. You need enough capacity, to laugh in the face of the very idea of a pressure sore! Diapers aren't anywhere near as bad for disabled people's skin, as doctors give them credit for. Cheap diapers are. The Idea is to have more capacity than you'll ever use, so wetness all stays away from the skin, so, no rashes, and no pressure sores.

I'll grant you, my fiancé is also a DL, and a diaper snob, but, the rest is true too.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: paul484819, AttilaThePun, FaeMattie and 5 others
I will use diapers to capacity and weigh them. I've never found anything remotely close to these numbers. My personal best was a Mermaid Tales at 3600 ml. It had more capacity; the back wasn't wet but the liquid could no longer get there. But not a lot more. Camelotian's records top out a little north of 4000ml, including for Trest.

An average adult produces 2000-3000 ml / day.

Even a very thirsty baby diaper like huggies overnites, if scaled into an adult diaper, would probably be in the 3500ml-4000 ml range of capacity.

1. I'm glad we have some of the thirsty abdl diapers! They have use cases (can't change, overnight, drinking, 100% can't risk a leak).
2. Not seeing a need for much more capacity.
3. I think there's a lot of marketing hype.

Reactions: paul484819, AttilaThePun, FaeMattie and 3 others
Cottontail said:
On the one hand, it seems like a stupid marketing game. On the other... If I'm going to spend $2-3 on a diaper, I don't mind being able to wear it pretty much all day. I can be sure it won't leak, and it's fun to end the day with a super full, squishy diaper and a pronounced waddle. :) I'll never get anywhere near those theoretical capacity figures. If I've ever peed a whole gallon into a diaper, I'd be surprised. But the extra headroom, as @messydiaper said, brings a margin of safety, and that's not exactly worthless.
I can get about all day out of a Megamax, then I'll put like a Tena or northshore Supreme on

Reactions: AttilaThePun, Davvyboy, BobbiSueEllen and 1 other person
littledinogoesrawr said:
It is marketing, but I admit I fall for it, i always look for the capacity.

I love using the diapers to the fullest so is kind of a challengue for me
I completely fall for it every time but I’m exactly like you I’m gonna push the boundaries of whatever the capacity is. I have a picture of some wrapped up double diapers sitting on my weight scale after a thorough night of trying to make myself wet as much as possible and I don’t think most people would believe the number on the scale haha but people would be surprised how much some diapers can hold haha I certainly feel like I’m carrying around 6000ml sometimes

• Wow
Reactions: AttilaThePun, BobbiSueEllen and Dry247
I'm new and am interested in understanding as much about AB/DL as much as possible. So you'll probably see a couple more threads from me 😆

The large capacity of some of these diapers perplexes me because while I love the fact that they can hold so much, carrying it around is a whole 'nother thing.

Are there AB/DLs who will wear these large capacity diapers until they have 2-3 gallons of wettings in there? Is it for the roleplay aspect where they're maybe rolling around on the floor or in a crib where movement isn't necessary?

For one thing Just because they say they can hold 8000 or 9000ml does not mean the can. The way they are tested and rated is stupid. They submerge the diaper in saline for 30 seconds, then they weigh it before and after and the weight is how they determine the capacity.
It is called the Rothwell test and it is a stupid way to test and no diaper on earth is being used like that.

I use a Mega Max from NorthShore everyday as my go to day and night. I do not let them get to a super mega bulge during the day out in public jut because it shows under the pants when full full. But at home and night I wear them as long as I can and they hold enough to go 12 hours even though I normally do not go that long but 8 to 10 hours is pretty normal for me. I love them because it is fewer changes especially nice in public or at work, and I know they are not going to leak unless I abuse them and lastly because I trust them more than anything else.

I know there are thicker diapers out but I am not ABDL I am incontinent for 30 plus years. I have tried almost every diaper made in the medical diapers and a few ABDL diapers. I do not miss the days of changing every two or three hours. I am disabled now but I use to drive a truck and you can only imagine how much better they worked.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, Rusher, CptKirk and 2 others
diapernewbie said:
I've never measured or researched it, how much urine does an average person produce during a day? 2 gallons seems like a lot, but I could be wrong.

To be honest, no matter how well it is made, I would expect that there would be a high risk of it bursting and making a much larger mess long before reaching 2 gallons of volume.
Well a regular profusing body should make 20-30 ml per hour.

• Thinking
Reactions: AttilaThePun, mistykitty and BobbiSueEllen
GabyinPurple said:
Well a regular profusing body should make 20-30 ml per hour.
Up to one fluid ounce per hour? Are you certain of this? I piddle more than that on average, about 5 times than that. And that's falling short of the docs' fad-laced advice of 3 quarts' intake per day.

30 ml per hour is less than 3/4 litre per day.

Reactions: BBBen and AttilaThePun
messydiaper said:
No. I agree. 1000 mL is 1 L and that's 2.2 lbs. Some diapers claim 8,000 to 10,000 mL capacity. A diaper with 10,000 mL would weigh 22 lbs. No one can walk around in a 22 lb diaper!

The high capacity diapers allow for way more pee than is meant for a diaper to hold. I wet the bed and sometimes wake up with a 2,000 mL diaper. The capacity of the diaper is 6,000 mL, but because of that large difference, I don't have leaks. So I use a 6 L diaper to contain 2 L of fluid and it works well.
Excellent answer !

Reactions: AttilaThePun
You have to remember that those ratings are derived from tests conducted in controlled environments, not from real world testing. Basically, they lay a diaper open flat and pour as much water or saline into it as they can until it is at its absolute limit. The amount they poured is then considered its capacity. In reality, you’ll be lucky to get a third to a half of that “rated” capacity used up just based on positioning, urine composition, and other key factors. I do agree that we could use more low or mid-grade absorbent diapers. It does feel wasteful sometimes not using one fully.

• Love
Reactions: Kellycares, TigerDL, AttilaThePun and 2 others
PaddedBrony said:
You have to remember that those ratings are derived from tests conducted in controlled environments, not from real world testing. Basically, they lay a diaper open flat and pour as much water or saline into it as they can until it is at its absolute limit. The amount they poured is then considered its capacity. In reality, you’ll be lucky to get a third to a half of that “rated” capacity used up just based on positioning, urine composition, and other key factors. I do agree that we could use more low or mid-grade absorbent diapers. It does feel wasteful sometimes not using one fully.
FINALLY!!! SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS!!! 🥳🥳🥳

Reactions: BBBen, TigerDL, AttilaThePun and 1 other person
Remember advertised capacity is under strict testing conditions
you won't get close to those numbers in real life use.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and BobbiSueEllen
I'm not going to use the full 2 gallons of absorbancy, but this just means if I'm sleeping on my side and wet in the same position overnight twice in a row, I'm not going to wake up in a wet bed.

I truly LOVE the higher capacity briefs like those offered by InControl!

Outstanding fit, worry free night time absorbancy, strong tapes, wide crotch, strong plastic backing, tall leak guards, lotions don't dissolve the glue in the leak guards, full coverage pad and actual functional capacity regardless of position! I've never slept better. I wear them to bed every night. No problems ever.

I hope they never change their design. I wish I could get a shipping container full of them, so I could lock in these in their perfect state before cost controls kick in and quality begins to drop like every other company. Thank you InControl. You guys have the design nailed. I didn't think the M4 from Abena could be beat a decade ago. I appreciate the value you offer.

Reactions: paul484819, TigerDL, AttilaThePun and 1 other person
First off. They can't actually hold that much. Maybe in a controlled testing environment. But not actually wearing them. Secondly. I wish they could. If I could find a diaper that actually hold two gallons and can support it's weight. I absolutely would wear them. The bigger and bulkier the better

Freddie07601 said:
Wearing a high capacity premium diaper means I can focus on what I'm doing as I go through the day rather than on whether my diaper is going to leak. That's worth their higher cost to me.

It doesn't take long to become used to (and, for me at least, comfortable with) going for long periods without a change. And the higher cost of premium diapers is offset to some extent by needing to use fewer of them.

Wearing diapers I can't trust not to leak and have to change frequently saves neither time nor money, and it attacks my self-confidence. No, thank you!

The capacity numbers advertised for premium diapers do sound ridiculous, I agree. They indicate only that, under certain conditions, the diaper will absorb a given amount of fluid. I don't "hear" the numbers as an invitation to try to fill the diaper with that amount.
Very well said!

Reactions: AttilaThePun

Something to consider is that the rated/advertised capacity it not the functional capacity. Maybe in theory they can hold 10k ml or whatever new rearz and trest are rated but on a person they will leak far before that much could ever be absorbed

Reactions: Woncrinklz
jamieF0rg said:
Something to consider is that the rated/advertised capacity it not the functional capacity. Maybe in theory they can hold 10k ml or whatever new rearz and trest are rated but on a person they will leak far before that much could ever be absorbed
But, they're still fun.:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: keepitonDL and BBBen
Back