BM accidents in front of others.

greatlake5

Profoundly incontinent since the beginning.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Usually there is a screaming panic. Sometimes I can feel it coming. There's a strong urge and then it happens. And sometimes I'm distracted, talking while I'm engaged in a conversation or doing something that takes mental attention and then BOOM, a surprising "uh oh." And in seconds I load my diaper. Either way,
having a BM accident in front of others is mentally painful. I become strongly aware as the BM fills my diaper and I forget that people are around me. That feeling is first surprise and then embarrassment. I'm sure I have that "poop face," eyes wide, nose flares, my mouth drops and I'm staring in the distance. Then suddenly I realize that I just loaded my diaper and then I come back to earth, registering that there are people right in front of me. With a messy diaper. That itself creates a real "drop-sweat" feeling. The only thing I can do is composure myself and hope nobody acknowledges the fact that suddenly there is a big bulge in my bottom. I'm sure other IC people have experienced this. How do you get yourself out of this? I suppose the best action is to just ignore it. What do you do?

• Wow
Reactions: DiaperDiva, jdlake131 and LePew
So far, I have been able to avoid a full out BM. But my last close call was in a store where I could feel the need to go begin before I had accomplished my mission. But I rushed things because I could feel things getting very urgent. By the time I got to where the cashier lines were, I was barely holding it together. I was mentally squeezing as my bowels were trying hard to push it out. Finally a cashier motioned for me to come into her lane. Had I used my normal stride, I would have lost the entire load right there. Without making it obvious (I hope), I used baby steps so that I would not lose my grip on the situation. Yes, I was concentrating. This felt like my worst nightmare.

Thankfully, on that occasion, I was able to baby step my way back to the car through the parking lot. Once I sat down in the car the urge to go subsided to a more manageable level. Once I got home to the toilet, things exploded. If I had just a smidgeon less of resolve in the store, it would have all happened in the store. I was totally unprepared for that, since I was just wearing my usual pull-up. I had no protection for the car seat either. So this has really shaken me up. It feels like overprotection to wear a full diaper and plastic pants when I go out, yet when I think about that particular incident, it could have been very bad. My wife thinks I am being overdramatic. She just doesn't get it.

greatlake5 said:
Usually there is a screaming panic. Sometimes I can feel it coming. There's a strong urge and then it happens. And sometimes I'm distracted, talking while I'm engaged in a conversation or doing something that takes mental attention and then BOOM, a surprising "uh oh." And in seconds I load my diaper. Either way,
having a BM accident in front of others is mentally painful. I become strongly aware as the BM fills my diaper and I forget that people are around me. That feeling is first surprise and then embarrassment. I'm sure I have that "poop face," eyes wide, nose flares, my mouth drops and I'm staring in the distance. Then suddenly I realize that I just loaded my diaper and then I come back to earth, registering that there are people right in front of me. With a messy diaper. That itself creates a real "drop-sweat" feeling. The only thing I can do is composure myself and hope nobody acknowledges the fact that suddenly there is a big bulge in my bottom. I'm sure other IC people have experienced this. How do you get yourself out of this? I suppose the best action is to just ignore it. What do you do?
Yeah when it occurs it’s not fun but better to be wearing something then the alternative, this I know too well

I was totally unprepared for that, since I was just wearing my usual pull-up. I had no protection for the car seat either. So this has really shaken me up. It feels like overprotection to wear a full diaper and plastic pants when I go out, yet when I think about that particular incident, it could have been very bad. My wife thinks I am being overdramatic. She just doesn't get it.

I can say from personal experience sometimes it takes a public accident to realize “overprotection” isn’t overreacting, hope for the best but prepare for the worst

Last edited:
Keeping a non reactive face, not being distracted, acting as if nothing 'down there' has happened, carrying on as normal (especially when at work - now just retired) and hoping no one has sensed a smell or seen a suddenly appearing bulge, is the hardest thing to achieve and is always embarrassing. The closer that people are around you, (epecially if they are not strangers), the greater the stress.

It is those (in public) issues, that come with no or very little warning, that can catch you out, with their unpleasant surprises and (depending on the situation at the time), how quickly you can do something (discreetly) about it, to relieve the stress. I always have the spare supplies with me or near by. I keep a protective sheet in my vehicle for the car seat.

So far I have been fortunate in that I have not detected any reaction from people around me, (I hope). Getting to know my regular body functions and try to schedule activity to the best times when I can, is all I can do for now.

I will never get comfortable with MB in public and the potential effect they can have on others.

While not IC per se, as someone with autism I often have digestive issues and there have been times I stained my underwear gambling on a fart. Those were times I wish I was wearing a diaper because what's worse is realizing that stain will also show through my pants and everyone would know. This is one of the reasons I prefered baggy clothes. My advice is just be glad the diaper contains it, it could be much worse. Now that I am 24/7 I don't have to worry about those times anymore.

Last edited:
When I mess my diapers in front of others, I just carry on as of nothing has happened, it is only if someone says something that I will admit it was me and I will go change as soon as I can.

greatlake5 said:
I've read your profile and it says you wear good diapers, plastic pants and compression pants. On top of these, you also use internal deodorant
(I"m guessing chlorophyll copper?) that can hide most odors. I use these daily myself. But like you have posted, one of those "uh oh" surprises happens to me. Thankfully not everyday but when they happen in public, there is a personal "screaming panic." I'm completely IC (idiopathic) and have been since the day I was born. I was never able to potty train and I wear diapers 24/7. Being IC like this challenges the most troubling problems I experience everyday. But messing my diaper in front of others, it questions my ability to act normal and it's almost impossible. You can behave completely regular and hold composure but you can't hide when your face turns red. I think the best thing you can do is to smile and say "woops." Aside of that I'd go hide in a hole.

Reactions: Jonnythepony
It is not fun to have bm accidents.
Yesterday morning I pooped my diaper in church.
Sigh...
At least I was near a one year old baby who also had a poopy diaper.

caitianx said:
It is not fun to have bm accidents.
Yesterday morning I pooped my diaper in church.
Sigh...
At least I was near a one year old baby who also had a poopy diaper.
I always enjoy a pooping, no matter where or when it happens, after all it's one of the reasons I wear diapers.
When I need to go, I just go.

Reactions: Deleted member 57387

rennecfox:​

I can say from personal experience sometimes it takes a public accident to realize “overprotection” isn’t overreacting, hope for the best but prepare for the worst
The problem I have is that it does seem like overdoing it, when it rarely happens. Even with my daily urinary protection, I don't have frequent accidents (maybe a few times per week). Yet I know full well, that accidents do happen and so I wear my pull-ups daily.

At the Cross Roads

If I graduate to say a BetterDry brief (for fecal containment) when I go "out", then the costs jump up to $2.50+ Cdn (< $1.95 US) each (x 2 or 3 per day). This means that I have to choose to go on as presently until a blowout happens or start wearing a BetterDry all day long to allow me to make the frequent store trips in safety. I guess the writing is on the wall...

jdlake131 said:
I've read your profile and it says you wear good diapers, plastic pants and compression pants. On top of these, you also use internal deodorant
(I"m guessing chlorophyll copper?) that can hide most odors. I use these daily myself. But like you have posted, one of those "uh oh" surprises happens to me. Thankfully not everyday but when they happen in public, there is a personal "screaming panic." I'm completely IC (idiopathic) and have been since the day I was born. I was never able to potty train and I wear diapers 24/7. Being IC like this challenges the most troubling problems I experience everyday. But messing my diaper in front of others, it questions my ability to act normal and it's almost impossible. You can behave completely regular and hold composure but you can't hide when your face turns red. I think the best thing you can do is to smile and say "woops." Aside of that I'd go hide in a hole.
Having this happens stresses all of us. I'm no different. Even with the way I've lived since the beginning. Do you ever get used to this? I do. But it does cause stress and anxiety. I've been in therapy since I was a kid. If you have the ability to hook up with a good therapist your life will be better. Not perfect, but better.

I had an accident like that when I was 15.

My family and I were celebrating the the Christmas holidays with some relatives at our house and we were all gathered in the parlor.

And as we were sitting in the living room together, I felt like I was gonna fart, but it turned out to be a shart.

Sure enough, I felt embarrassed, but I didn't let it be known that I was.

I just discreetly left the room and went to the lavatory to clean myself up and then go to my room to get a fresh pair of underpants before coming back to join everyone and no one was wise to my little accident.

Sidewinder said:
to join everyone and no one was wise to my little accident.
That's fine if you had some underwear change after a little "fart." I wonder if you were completely diaper dependent and had a full BM accident?
Stress still get's me. And I'm in diapers since the beginning. Am I a bit more comfortable being diapered daily? Yes. But having a poop accident in front of other people and I'm diapered every day, I still feel some anxiety. In front of other people? I hate that!

greatlake5 said:
That's fine if you had some underwear change after a little "fart." I wonder if you were completely diaper dependent and had a full BM accident?
Stress still get's me. And I'm in diapers since the beginning. Am I a bit more comfortable being diapered daily? Yes. But having a poop accident in front of other people and I'm diapered every day, I still feel some anxiety. In front of other people? I hate that!
No, I wasn't diaper dependent, nor have I ever had a full BM accident, before or after.

Last edited:
Back