Bedwetting Diapers and Rubber Sheets

StoneCrab said:
Am I the only one here who was taken out of diapers at 7-8yo, but then still wet the bed almost every single night until 11yo? Apparently it was something about "encouraging" becoming dry. No diapers, waterproof frotee, washing sheets daily and wetting alarms until I got fed up and so did my mom as she couldn't sleep either. I was told there are no diapers for kids my age.
No. It was very similar for me (though switching more like 5-6yo except when travelling or at someone's house) but a big part of it was we were very poor, couldn't afford disposables for every night, so my mom resigned herself to washing sheets whenever it happened until I was old enough to wash them myself as an early teen (but by that point it was more like just a few times a month). We did have pullups/goodnites but only for travel and the night before a trip just in case.

Reactions: Lyric, StoneCrab and Angelapinks
StoneCrab said:
Am I the only one here who was taken out of diapers at 7-8yo, but then still wet the bed almost every single night until 11yo? Apparently it was something about "encouraging" becoming dry. No diapers, waterproof frotee, washing sheets daily and wetting alarms until I got fed up and so did my mom as she couldn't sleep either. I was told there are no diapers for kids my age.
No
My mom tried it with both my brother and I when I was in 4th grade and he was in 6th. Nothing but a rubber sheet under our bed sheet. Both of us marinated nightly for a year until she capitulated and put both of us back in pull-ups.

Last edited:
Reactions: Teddy02, StoneCrab and wetaccident
StoneCrab said:
No, that was me too though I was taken out of diapers slightly earlier. I ended up peeing the bed for years after (plus numerous daytime accidents as well) and diapers were never metnioned as an option. Just the waterproof sheet and wet pjs. I remember we did try bedwetting alarms too which I *hated*.

I kind of wonder if goodnites were available at the time if that would have been something my parents considered.

• Thinking
Reactions: Teddy02, Angelapinks and StoneCrab
iampadded said:
No
My mom tried it with both my brother and I when I was in 4th grade and he was in 6th. Nothing but a rubber sheet under our bed sheet. Both of us marinated nightly for a year until she capitulated and put both of us back in pull-ups

I had a plastic sheet on my bed even if I was going through a dry period and didn't need to wear diapers or pullups. I just kept the diapers in the closet. Once I moved out of my parents house and I started to wet the bed again i put a plastic sheet on my bed and went and got some diapers. I still have a plastic sheet on my bed.

Reactions: Lyric and Angelapinks
Babybear2006 said:
I had a plastic sheet on my bed even if I was going through a dry period and didn't need to wear diapers or pullups. I just kept the diapers in the closet. Once I moved out of my parents house and I started to wet the bed again i put a plastic sheet on my bed and went and got some diapers. I still have a plastic sheet on my bed.
Everyone should have a plastic sheet on their bed- Just in case :)

Reactions: Lyric, Teddy02, WBxx and 3 others
iampadded said:
Everyone should have a plastic sheet on their bed- Just in case :)
This is what I think.

Even a cheap plastic sheet will keep an expensive mattress from being damaged by pee or a milk or water spill.

Reactions: Angelapinks
Inexpensive mattress cavers are not that expensive , Try some of the bigger Box Stores like Wal-Mart & Target ! Do hope you fine this useful ?

My bed still had its rubber sheet when I finally left home for good after I finished college. I had stopped wetting my bed when I was 17, but mom let me wear diapers and rubber pants when I came home from college when I wanted. I remember it was sort of reddish in color and had a certain smell that I always liked. Over the years I've found that well fitting diapers and rubber pants work well enough that I don't use them anymore. Both my sister and I had those same rubber sheets though out our teens, even though my sister stopped wetting her bed when she was 12, she still had to have the rubber sheet, just in case. She did have an accident or two after no longer wearing diapers.

Reactions: sissybaby34, Teddy02 and Angelapinks
Most former past puberty bedwetters will have an occasional ( or more than occasional) accident after “stopping”. Common sense to let it remain. Your sister only proves my point.

Last edited:
iampadded said:
Most former past puberty bedwetters will have an occasional ( or more than occasional) accident after “stopping”. common sense to let it remain. Your sister only proves my point.
I firmly believe that once you are a bedwetter you will probably always be one. You might not always have accidents at night but you might have an occasional one

Reactions: WBxx, Lyric and Teddy02
Babybear2006 said:
I firmly believe that once you are a bedwetter you will probably always be one. You might not always have accidents at night but you might have an occasional one
I certainly can’t argue with that. I have stopped on several occasions post puberty, only to restart several months later.

I stopped wetting in my sleep shortly before I turned four, so I wasn’t really what you’d call a bedwetter. Still, I had a plastic sheet on my bed until (I think) I was five or six. That would’ve been early 1980s. I don’t recall it being noisy, but then I’d never really known anything else.

Reactions: Angelapinks
iampadded said:
I certainly can’t argue with that. I have stopped on several occasions post puberty, only to restart several months later.
I was a nightly bedwetter as a kid up until I was 13 or 14, but then I started to have dry periods that lasted a few months with an occasional accident. Then I went totally dry for a few years and stopped wearing diapers. Then one week when I was in my early twenties I was waking up wet every day and it started to bother me so I went to my mom and asked her what I should do about it, she told me that I might want to go back in diapers at night and she took me to the store and helped me choose them. I got a pack of depends diapers and pullups like I had in my teens. I started trying out the pullups but noticed that they looked so I tried the diapers. She asked me a week later how the diapers were and which one were helping me. I told her that I was going to stay with the tape on diapers and just use the pullups during the day.

Reactions: Teddy02 and Angelapinks
Cottontail said:
I stopped wetting in my sleep shortly before I turned four, so I wasn’t really what you’d call a bedwetter. Still, I had a plastic sheet on my bed until (I think) I was five or six. That would’ve been early 1980s. I don’t recall it being noisy, but then I’d never really known anything else.
You didn’t realize it was noisy until one day it was gone

Reactions: Angelapinks and Cottontail
I never really lost the plastic mattress cover. I wet every night until almost 13 and wore cloth diapers and plastic pants. After 13 I was out of diapers as the frequency of my bedwetting went way down--but not gone. I still woke up wet about 3-4 times a year all the way through high school. Wetting frequency went up again about age 21 until it was nightly again. The mattress protector I have now is one of the really quiet ones, mostly out of respect for my wife and her comfort. But if it was just me, I'd gladly go back to the crinkly plastic cover--that sound just reminds me that everything is ok and protected. When I visit my parents, there is a nice, crinkly cover on the mattress. They claim it is for the grandkids, and that may be true, but it works for me. :)

Reactions: WillFord384, Teddy02, dogboy and 1 other person
It’s for the grand kids- wink wink!

Reactions: Teddy02, jaredc3, sissybaby34 and 1 other person

I have always had a "Protective" cover on my mattress: a rubber sheet when I was little and still bedwetting at night. After that a plastic "dust cover" for protection from such things as dust mites or other allergens. More recently I have changed to a full sized rubber sheet as it is less noisy than plastic.

Reactions: sissybaby34 and Angelapinks
RubbersheetRob said:
I have always had a "Protective" cover on my mattress: a rubber sheet when I was little and still bedwetting at night. After that a plastic "dust cover" for protection from such things as dust mites or other allergens. More recently I have changed to a full sized rubber sheet as it is less noisy than plastic.
Quieter yes but for me I like the loud crinkle of the plastic under my sheets. Reminds me of my days at home until I left at 19, the plastic on my bed was very noisy. I always felt this is what a diapered bedwetter should have.

Reactions: Wetshisbed, Lyric and chamberpot
Back