Asking for comments re: a new Wikipedia edit on the Wikipedia Adult Diaper page?

Yooda

May the "force" of acceptance be with you
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Hi friends,

I'm a Wikipedia editor, and I believe I have just corrected a major error on the Wikipedia page about adult diapers. The old article implied in the beginning of the article that adult diapers are only worn by incontinent folks. I rewrote it to clearly point out that adult diapers are often worn for purely "occupational reasons." Personally as an ABDL, I believe that ultimately it really doesn't matter very much exactly why a person has to wear diapers, whether it's a medical reason, a physical one, or a mental one. They all have the same outcome that one "must" wear diapers.

Of course we could debate endlessly about the essentially unprovable mental aspects of incontinence, but I feel that such debates are all rather silly and pointless. I believe that a good medical doctor who might specialize in ABDL's, a good psychiatrist with the same specialty, or a good therapist who specializes in the same, should set their primary focus on "physical outcome," as well as the "comfort level" of the patient. In other words, if the diaper wearer is able to keep a reasonable job, to have a reasonable social life, etc. etc., then, "Please leave good-enough alone Mr. Doctor of the whatnot!!!"

Here is the "edit" to Wikipedia that I just made-

From this (at the beginning of the article):

<earlier Wikipedia edition quote begins here>

An adult diaper (or adult nappy in Australian English, British English, and Hiberno-English) is a diaper made to be worn by a person with a body larger than that of an infant or toddler. Diapers can be necessary for adults with various conditions, such as incontinence, mobility impairment, severe diarrhea or dementia. Adult diapers are made in various forms, including those resembling traditional child diapers, underpants, and pads resembling sanitary napkins (known as incontinence pads). Superabsorbent polymer is primarily used to absorb bodily wastes and liquids.

Alternative terms such as "briefs", "incontinence briefs", or "incontinence products" are also used.

<earlier Wikipedia edition quote ends here>

To this:

<my Wikipedia revised edition quote begins here>

An adult diaper (or adult nappy in Australian English, British English, and Hiberno-English) is a diaper made to be worn by a person with a body larger than that of an infant or toddler. Adult Diapers can be necessary for adults with, or in, various conditions and circumstances, such as astronauts whose lives might be endangered if not wearing incontinence products while on space walks, and also while such astronauts are assigned to other similar tasks, poultry processing plant workers whose supervisors have been known to require the use of incontinence products,[1] and there is even concern that Amazon drivers wear diapers,[2] who are technically not allowed to enter most bathrooms while out on delivery.

When normally "continent" people may be required to wear incontinence products, this type of diaper use is sometimes referred to as "occupational incontinence product usage." When incontinence products must be worn for medical or reduced mobility reasons, this is usually referred to simply as "functional incontinence." Functional incontinence has many different potential types and causes including simple urinary incontinence, fecal incontinence, severe diarrhea, dementia, and impaired mobility related incontinence. Adult diapers are made in various forms, including those resembling traditional child diapers, underpants, and pads resembling sanitary napkins (known as incontinence pads). Superabsorbent polymer is primarily used to absorb bodily wastes and liquids.

Alternative terms such as "briefs", "incontinence briefs", or "incontinence products" are also used.

<my Wikipedia revised edition quote ends here>

The Wikipedia article on Adult Diapers can be found here. Your thoughts, comments, or suggestions about the true definition of incontinence would be very much appreciated in the followup comments below:

Thanks muchly,

Yooda

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Diprs2, eastcoastdl, INTrePid and 5 others
Thank you for editing the Wikipedia article!!
So many families use Wikipedia for clarifications of various subjects and Adult Diapers is clearly one of them.
The number of families that are faced with the reality of changing realities cased by aging, professions, medical and mental reasons continue to rise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2
My suggestion is to move the part about astronauts to the end, and move the middle description of general diaper usage to where the astronaut part is now. But I'm not a Wikipedia editor! You are and if you don't consider my suggestion, I'm not going to go getting my feelings hurt :) Thanks for letting us in on the process!

Reactions: Diprs2, Prillprillprill and Edgewater
I feel like you've put too much focus on things that may or may not be sensationalized by the media and less raw information at the top.

Reactions: Diprs2 and neurallink
messydiaper said:
My suggestion is to move the part about astronauts to the end, and move the middle description of general diaper usage to where the astronaut part is now. But I'm not a Wikipedia editor! You are and if you don't consider my suggestion, I'm not going to go getting my feelings hurt :) Thanks for letting us in on the process!
I put the astronaut stuff first so that people would be challenged to think differently about diapers than they typically do. Times are changing. This whole website can only be here because of improvements in technology that have only recently allowed for it. The same with disposable diapers. Personally, I think that some folks at ADISC might find it helpful to think of themselves as truly-incontinent even though they may only wear diapers because of their "love for them."

The bottom line is that to be an ABDL, means to feel compelled to wear and probably use diapers when they are not needed for any physical reason. Therefore an ABDL wears and uses diapers because he or she can't help themselves not to. So does an incontinent person use diapers because they can't help themselves not to. Letting go of this distinction between having to use diapers for mental reasons and having to use diapers for physical reasons has helped me immensely.

While I believe that I never did allow my "love for diapers" to get in the way of my work, I still felt a little guilty and ashamed about having to use them each night. Now that I'm retired, I have decided that I am no longer going to alow myself to feel any shame or guilt about this, simply because I no longer feel worried about whatever others might think if they might find out. Not to say that I would ever "flaunt" my diaper wearing to anyone. Only that after my having taken reasonable steps to conceal my wearing them, should anyone still find out, it's on them now to deal with it and not on me. I've already taken the normal steps to conceal my "underwear." If you might still insist on somehow "showing off my underwear" to others, that makes you the "weird one," not me.

Take care,

Yooda

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, messydiaper, Sidewinder and 2 others
Maybe the reason I felt so guilty and ashamed about being an ABDL, was simply because my parents had taught me to feel this way about it.

Maybe the reason I felt so guilty and ashamed about being an ABDL, was simply because my parents had taught me to feel this way about it around about the time I was potty trained. Perhaps its time I learned how to set aside these parental teachings, and time for me to redevelop my own perspective on what being an ABDL really means to me?

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
To me being an ABDL means that I am "functionally incontinent" since I can no longer even sleep through the night without my "most comfortable underwear" on (and usually not dry.) Hopefully this perspective of mine doesn't offend anybody here.

Yooda said:
Maybe the reason I felt so guilty and ashamed about being an ABDL, was simply because my parents had taught me to feel this way about it around about the time I was potty trained. Perhaps its time I learned how to set aside these parental teachings, and time for me to redevelop my own perspective on what being an ABDL really means to me?
I had never considered wearing diapers beyond those early childhood years. I was involved in a car crash that as a result of it and the surgery after, I magically became U-IC! Now, 45 years ago, the only choice was cloth diapers and plastic pants or hose and bag. That first day out and about in a heavily layered diaper and plastic pants. I was amazed no one noticed or if they did, they didn't care. Today, with near everyone with their mobile phones, even few would know.

Regarding ABDL, I had very little knowledge and have learned much here making many Good Friends. I admit when I see others self-classify as Incontinent when they are not and have the choice to use or not! I have difficulties with that. I understand your point and do not have a problem. BUT, my concern is that being defined medically and/or mentally as Incontinent is important as the onset of Incontinence is a primary indicator of the onset or worsening of an illness, failing of an organ or increased mental issues. Hence, any one that elects to self-define, needs to commit to immediately contacting their Doctor or Medial Team of any onset or increase in Incontinence. Incontinence is not a game and clearly not a goal.

Reactions: HereWeGo2169, Diprs2 and sledder23
Edgewater said:
I had never considered wearing diapers beyond those early childhood years. I was involved in a car crash that as a result of it and the surgery after, I magically became U-IC! Now, 45 years ago, the only choice was cloth diapers and plastic pants or hose and bag. That first day out and about in a heavily layered diaper and plastic pants. I was amazed no one noticed or if they did, they didn't care. Today, with near everyone with their mobile phones, even few would know.

Regarding ABDL, I had very little knowledge and have learned much here making many Good Friends. I admit when I see others self-classify as Incontinent when they are not and have the choice to use or not! I have difficulties with that. I understand your point and do not have a problem. BUT, my concern is that being defined medically and/or mentally as Incontinent is important as the onset of Incontinence is a primary indicator of the onset or worsening of an illness, failing of an organ or increased mental issues. Hence, any one that elects to self-define, needs to commit to immediately contacting their Doctor or Medial Team of any onset or increase in Incontinence. Incontinence is not a game and clearly not a goal.
Edgewater, I agree that the younger one is, the harder one should probably try to avoid becoming sort of "addicted" to diapers. Unnecessary diaper wearing is one of the most expensive, time consuming, slightly medically dangerous, and socially awkward "kinks" I know of. It would certainly make one's life a little bit easier, simpler, and richer if one could just "nip it in the bud" when one is younger.

Having said that, my faith in the medical establishment is perhaps not as much as yours. I have poured over many hours of online research about the effectiveness of various supposed "cures" that doctors are regularly trained to recommend to their incontinent patients. I've noted that they almost never list the prognosis or likelihood of success when they offer these "options." Every single solution that I've seen for incontinence besides diapers seems to me to have an abysmal success rate of around 10% or less. I hate to say this, but it seems to me that incontinence is a great moneymaker for doctors and urologists, and sometimes not much more.

To the best of my knowledge there is only one licensed professional person who has ever tried to actually help ABDL's, and that is Dr. Rhoda Lipscomb. If I had any medical concerns regarding my prostate or my colon, I would probably try my very best to speak to Dr. Rhoda first, just so I wouldn't get sent "the long way around the barn" and going around in expensive circles for the doctor's amusement, by some wannabe "ABDL expert doctor/ urologist."

Last edited:
  • Love
I have been very luck as several of my urologists have been honest regarding the medications offered as they had in fact read my medical records. That said, they are caught in the circle of latest and greatest medications as a result of the drug companies searching for a perfect drug for some other medical need and found that as part of the testing process that 10 to 15% of participates had reduced loss of urine. My specific issue is likely damage spinal cord at the L5 /S1.

Anyway, I have never seen any drug targeting the ABDL community that had been marketed at curing or even curbing the want. Where the IC community is activity targeted with drugs and therapies that have great claims, but serious side-effects, most worst than dealing with IC. The Goal of the IC individual is to question one's urologist regarding what their beliefs are toward medications /therapies for your very specific form of IC! Which first requires Identification of what group/type one is in regarding their IC. If that is not the first step, RUN!!

Last edited:
My own "Abdil'ism" started when I was only about 10 years old, but my true incontinence did not kick in until age 67. During those years between the ages of 10 - 66, (after I recognized the fact that I was an ADL, and before I became truly incontinent) I questioned 8 therapists and 3 MD's about what I might do to somehow reduce my personal fondness for our type of underwear. Not a single one of them took me seriously, yet all of them gladly took what I paid them for their "consult".

I really can't blame them, because probably most of us have searched the Internet through and through looking for ways to get out of this little kingdom of Abdil'ism, yet as we all sadly already know, all we could find was way too many questions and no proven answers, in the great wisdom of the "Internet and what not."

Yooda

Yooda said:
Hi friends,

I'm a Wikipedia editor, and I believe I have just corrected a major error on the Wikipedia page about adult diapers. The old article implied in the beginning of the article that adult diapers are only worn by incontinent folks. I rewrote it to clearly point out that adult diapers are often worn for purely "occupational reasons." Personally as an ABDL, I believe that ultimately it really doesn't matter very much exactly why a person has to wear diapers, whether it's a medical reason, a physical one, or a mental one. They all have the same outcome that one "must" wear diapers.

Of course we could debate endlessly about the essentially unprovable mental aspects of incontinence, but I feel that such debates are all rather silly and pointless. I believe that a good medical doctor who might specialize in ABDL's, a good psychiatrist with the same specialty, or a good therapist who specializes in the same, should set their primary focus on "physical outcome," as well as the "comfort level" of the patient. In other words, if the diaper wearer is able to keep a reasonable job, to have a reasonable social life, etc. etc., then, "Please leave good-enough alone Mr. Doctor of the whatnot!!!"

An adult diaper (or adult nappy in Australian English, British English, and Hiberno-English) is a diaper made to be worn by a person with a body larger than that of an infant or toddler. Diapers can be necessary for adults with various conditions, such as incontinence, mobility impairment, severe diarrhea or dementia. Adult diapers are made in various forms, including those resembling traditional child diapers, underpants, and pads resembling sanitary napkins (known as incontinence pads). Superabsorbent polymer is primarily used to absorb bodily wastes and liquids.

To this:

An adult diaper (or adult nappy in Australian English, British English, and Hiberno-English) is a diaper made to be worn by a person with a body larger than that of an infant or toddler. Adult Diapers can be necessary for adults with, or in, various conditions and circumstances, such as astronauts whose lives might be endangered if not wearing incontinence products while on space walks, and also while such astronauts are assigned to other similar tasks, poultry processing plant workers whose supervisors have been known to require the use of incontinence products,[1] and there is even concern that Amazon drivers wear diapers,[2] who are technically not allowed to enter most bathrooms while out on delivery.

When normally "continent" people may be required to wear incontinence products, this type of diaper use is sometimes referred to as "occupational incontinence product usage." When incontinence products must be worn for medical or reduced mobility reasons, this is usually referred to simply as "functional incontinence." Functional incontinence has many different potential types and causes including simple urinary incontinence, fecal incontinence, severe diarrhea, dementia, and impaired mobility related incontinence. Adult diapers are made in various forms, including those resembling traditional child diapers, underpants, and pads resembling sanitary napkins (known as incontinence pads). Superabsorbent polymer is primarily used to absorb bodily wastes and liquids.

The Wikipedia article on Adult Diapers can be found here. Your thoughts, comments, or suggestions about the true definition of incontinence would be very much appreciated in the followup comments below:

Thanks muchly,

Yooda
Nah it's too much.
You should aim to make the point succinctly, and only if you have one good citation.
Then leave it at that.

I think there may be an older edit of the article that had similar info in it. I'm not going to go looking for it right now though, it's time for me to go to bed.

Last edited:
With what you have both experienced and have learned, connect with what I have come across, my heart hurts for my Good Friends within the ABDL community here because the past and current system seems set to steal money with little to no positive return. There are several, likely more, Therapy Types that are in fact helping individual to come to some level of acceptance and understanding of "Abdil'ism" that is deeply set within their mind and to my understanding, there is no switch. I have zero training in such fields, but I have come to a point of believing that the Core Want is not a "kink"!! To your point, it is much better for all of use to accept them as faced with a "Need" not unlike a "mental need"!?

Edgewater said:
With what you have both experienced and have learned, connect with what I have come across, my heart hurts for my Good Friends within the ABDL community here because the past and current system seems set to steal money with little to no positive return. There are several, likely more, Therapy Types that are in fact helping individual to come to some level of acceptance and understanding of "Abdil'ism" that is deeply set within their mind and to my understanding, there is no switch. I have zero training in such fields, but I have come to a point of believing that the Core Want is not a "kink"!! To your point, it is much better for all of use to accept them as faced with a "Need" not unlike a "mental need"!?
I agree entirely! What I call ABDL'ism, is in my view no different than being born as a homosexual. Our society has told our homosexuals for centuries that they could change if they "just" wanted to, but this was not true. Now our society is still having trouble accepting the possibility that homosexuality is not "wrong" in any way shape or form, so long as nobody gets hurt.

I believe in what I will call a corollary of the "Golden rule," it goes like this, "Do NOT do unto others what you would NOT have them do unto you." In my own mind, this applies to ABDL'ism in that, "Straight people should not ask gay people to change their sexual orientation if the straight people themselves wouldn't be comfortable trying to change their own sexual identity if someone else asked them to do that. Neither should anyone expect an ABDL to be able to stop wearing diapers on demand, if they wouldn't be willing to start wearing them on demand."

I believe that if applied correctly, the Golden Rule and its corollaries could probably solve most of the world's problems. (And no, the Golden Rule is not, "Those who have the Gold, make the rules.") The Golden Rule simply establishes the fact that we're all in this together, and we're all basically equals down here.

In summary so long as nobody is hurt or upset by the type of "underwear" we might wear to bed, or during the day, quite simply, then nobody should have the right to be hurt or upset by this small point of fact. That simple! I apologize for what may be my "simplistic views" here.

On a different point, who besides Rhoda Lipscomb is a licensed therapist who has been able to help ABDL's?

Thanks for your insights Edgewater!

Yooda

• Love
BunnyFofo said:
Nah it's too much.
You should aim to make the point succinctly, and only if you have one good citation.
Then leave it at that.

I think there may be an older edit of the article that had similar info in it. I'm not going to go looking for it right now though, it's time for me to go to bed.
Technology has changed our society, and so do I believe it has changed ABDL'ism. Before modern technology, incontinence posed a much more severe risk or danger to the individual than it does now. It used to be assumed that once an older person became incontinent again, that person was probably NOT going to survive for much longer. That was simply the "brutal logic" of the technology of the day.

Now, armed with numerous ingenious incontinence products on the market, and armed with a greater flexibility and with a slightly better understanding of human sexuality, and with a greater understanding of the very often negative effects of overly forceful toilet training, perhaps our society now is ready to be a little bit more tolerant towards those of us who have "continence issues."

You see, I highlighted the fact that people such as astronauts and other workers now MUST WEAR diapers just to survive in their respective occupations, because I feel that the time for us to feel shame or guilt in any way shape or form regarding our unusual needs, is now over.

Of course that doesn't mean I should now be "showing off" my diapers to everyone I meet. To myself it only means that I should treat my diapers exactly as if they were just another type of underwear. No, I wear them so that they are basically undetectable by most others, just like I would my underwear. Why not?

Last edited:
Reactions: HereWeGo2169, Diprs2 and Edgewater
Yooda said:
I agree entirely! What I call ABDL'ism, is in my view no different than being born as a homosexual. Our society has told our homosexuals for centuries that they could change if they "just" wanted to, but this was not true. Now our society is still having trouble accepting the possibility that homosexuality is not "wrong" in any way shape or form, so long as nobody gets hurt.

I believe in what I will call a corollary of the "Golden rule," it goes like this, "Do NOT do unto others what you would NOT have them do unto you." In my own mind, this applies to ABDL'ism in that, "Straight people should not ask gay people to change their sexual orientation if the straight people themselves wouldn't be comfortable trying to change their own sexual identity if someone else asked them to do that. Neither should anyone expect an ABDL to be able to stop wearing diapers on demand, if they wouldn't be willing to start wearing them on demand."

I believe that if applied correctly, the Golden Rule and its corollaries could probably solve most of the world's problems. (And no, the Golden Rule is not, "Those who have the Gold, make the rules.") The Golden Rule simply establishes the fact that we're all in this together, and we're all basically equals down here.

In summary so long as nobody is hurt or upset by the type of "underwear" we might wear to bed, or during the day, quite simply, then nobody should have the right to be hurt or upset by this small point of fact. That simple! I apologize for what may be my "simplistic views" here.

On a different point, who besides Rhoda Lipscomb is a licensed therapist who has been able to help ABDL's?

Thanks for your insights Edgewater!

Yooda
Great response Yooda!

Understanding that I do not have a deep knowledge of ABDL Therapists and who are being helpful /successful that I used the term "Likely" due to seeing responses by members here that they have.

Last edited:
Yooda said:
Hi friends,

To this:

Thanks muchly,

Yooda
Just want to point out that it appears you accidentally left out the mention of incontinence and such... It simply says "with" and no longer includes the "various conditions, such as incontinence, mobility impairment, severe diarrhea or dementia" bit. The "with" just kind of leads nowhere.

I do appreciate your efforts, though!

Last edited:
  • Love
Yooda said:
Hi friends,

To this:

Thanks muchly,

Yooda
Wikipedia is out off date on nappy/diaper info too , if you look up biggest capacity nappy on wiki

Yooda said:
Technology has changed our society, and so do I believe it has changed ABDL'ism. Before modern technology, incontinence posed a much more severe risk or danger to the individual than it does now. It used to be assumed that once an older person became incontinent again, that person was probably NOT going to survive for much longer. That was simply the "brutal logic" of the technology of the day.

Now, armed with numerous ingenious incontinence products on the market, and armed with a greater flexibility and with a slightly better understanding of human sexuality, and with a greater understanding of the very often negative effects of overly forceful toilet training, perhaps our society now is ready to be a little bit more tolerant towards those of us who have "continence issues."

You see, I highlighted the fact that people such as astronauts and other workers now MUST WEAR diapers just to survive in their respective occupations, because I feel that the time for us to feel shame or guilt in any way shape or form regarding our unusual needs, is now over.

Of course that doesn't mean I should now be "showing off" my diapers to everyone I meet. To myself it only means that I should treat my diapers exactly as if they were just another type of underwear. No, I wear them so that they are basically undetectable by most others, just like I would my underwear. Why not?
In the context of editing Wikipedia, none of that is relevant.

Wikipedia is not the place to make or present arguments for your ideas.
It doesn't matter if the argument/idea is good, bad, justified, true, false or other.
Wikipedia is not a place for original research, essays, or persuasive writing of any other kind.

If someone else has made these arguments, then you can cite them as a source and add that to the relevant pages in the relevant places.

Note even if you were doing the above, the relevant spot wouldn't be in the first few paragraphs of the page.
Those paragraphs are to give people an introduction to the topic of the page.
They aren't for dumping several examples of some specific controversial claims made about the subject.

Also, just because you have a source and a citation, that doesn't make it a good one. If you make an edit with no/too few/bad citations, then expect it to be reverted.

Back