As a kid, how long did you wear diapers for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'm a bit unusual here, I don't ever recall bedwetting. I have vague memories of being diapered or wearing diapers as a tyke, though no idea what age that went to, but it couldn't have been anything past 3.

My cousin on the other hand... I remember one evening my aunt/uncle/cousin came over and ended up partying it up with my parents, so they stayed the night. (I suppose I was about 5-6 yrs old at the time? my cousin is a year younger than me) My cousin slept with me in my bed, and I was super confused when I was woke up early in the morning by my parents and the bed was soaked. (and COLD!) There was a commotion and after a time I was put back in my dry bed to sleep the rest of the morning, though my cousin did not join me. (they may have left at that time, I don't recall them being there when I finally got up) It was some time before I realized he had wet my bed. I found out later that he had bedwetting problems, and my parents were pissed at my uncle for not having mentioned that detail beforehand.

According to my baby book that my mother filled out, she started training me at 19 months. And done by 26 months. My younger sister started at 18 months and was done by her second birthday.. So I was trained in 1948-1949. I can only remember twice wetting the bed and one of those was when sick. So diapers were probably done at 26 months. And I don't know of her methods (she's gone & I still miss her). But based on what I saw of other kids being trained as a child they weren't as nice as the methods used even 30 years age.

Well, I’m assuming I was out of them later then some people because I spent the first year of my life in the hospital, as I was born three months early so my guess is that I would have been out of them by about three or four. I did have accidents every now and then up until about seven however I don’t really remember bedwetting at all but I wouldn’t be surprised. At seven I was put back in diapers for a few weeks to a few months and that’s when I started to like to wear them. Now that I am 40 and have encountered other issues in my life such as being severely visually impaired which decreases my mobility and navigation skills. And some OAB issues, and the shrinking of my bladder possibly to wearing diapers so much, as well as occasional bedwetting from sleep apnea, I now wear diapers 24/7. It just makes my life a lot less stressful and easier when I don’t have to worry about where the bathroom is or how fast I can get there

I did not have any issues being toilet trained during the day, but I wore diapers at night until I was 6 or so. Since they were pinned on cloth diapers, my mother would put them on (just after I got into bed). This would never happen today because kids can put on pull ups by themselves way earlier.

2ish

Wore them until I was 4 years old and starting school.

Out by 4 wet bed intermittently through 14. Back in at puberty. When lost night time control again Now 24/7 diaper dependent

I was out of full diapers & plastic underpants sometime early - maybe 2 - 2.5 years of age but wore training underwear after that. I do not recall if I still wore plastic underpants then continuously or was off / on. I do recall at age 4 (before I started kindergarten) wearing my training underwear and plastic underpants before bed (7 pm?) and laying on the couch in the family room in the summer and having to remain still since I had an ear ache and my folks had just put some drops in my one ear. I recall thinking if someone came in they would see me so I pulled a blanket over my lower waist even though it was a bit warm. At age five I was not wearing plastic underpants but that summer we went to a family church camp and I wet my sleeping bag 3 nights straight. I was put back into plastic underpants that 4th night (I assume with my training underwear) and though I mildly protested I must have accepted it as being for the best because I did not have to have my sleeping bag hanging on the clothes line each day for other families to see. I recall through age 6 my plastic underpants (2 pair) being in my underwear drawer and I always was afraid one of my friends would come in and open that drawer and see them so I placed them underneath my underwear to cover them up (of course if I was still having slight accidents at night then they would be washed and that would explain why they always seemed to be on top of my regular underwear until I placed them underneath.) At some point when I was 7 my plastic underpants were no longer in my drawer and I recall telling myself not to ask my mom where they were.

At age 8 I had my first sleepover and first outside the house major humiliation; I totally soaked my best friend's bed (he slept in he upper bunk bed which was open). His mother assured me it was no big deal and after I made a comment about my mom taking my plastic underpants away recently (yes, I tried to make it look my mother's fault) she commented that next time I slept over I could wear my best friend's plastic underpants that he no longer needed but were kept in a box in the attic. Several months later I had to sleep over at his house as my parents had to go out of town with my dad's job and I could not go. The first night my best fiend's mother put me in plastic underpants again with my underwear but after leaking a lot and wetting the sheets, the second night I was placed in a full diaper and large plastic underpants that not only kept my sheets and pjs dry but helped me realize how great this protection was.

At age 9 I do not recall wearing protection at night anymore but did have a plastic mattress cover on my bed until age 11 or 12.

I was out of diapers by 2.5 years old
Lot of time during childhood, lot of time during weekends I slept in my cousin house. He was ocassional bedwetter( when he had a cold or tire after being active and running all day.
My aunt ( his mother) put him in plastic pants and disposable pad or disposable diapers which nicely fitted under those plastic pants.

During one of visits when I had mild cold, my aunt asked me would I like that she put diaper on me. I remember as yesterday, that , I told her that I do not need them, but if she thinks that I can maybe wet a bed, then it is fine, but I will need help because I never did it and to stay secret.
I was 6 years old. My cousin was 4.
My cousin was always sleeping immediately after bath
She kindly smiled and told me not to worry.
After evenning bath she took me to room, very gently creamed my entire body, powder me and put pad or diapers on me and plastic pants and then pyjama.
It was very relaxing. Real heaven.
She always diapered me when I had a cold, being tired or stressed. Every second or third visit.
This went until my age of 10, after I was visiting rarely.
After that period , my next encounter with diapers was in my twenties during stay in hospital.

Last edited:
Seemed that I never left Diapers.

constantly and still am at 63.

I don’t know.

I remember being around 2, and my mother noticing that a babysitter fastened my nappy backwards, tabs stuck at the back.

Then I have this memory of running and hiding from my mother, to avoid having a dirty nappy changed. I was told that I did that a lot. I must’ve been around 2 then as well.

I’d say until I was around 2.5. I have vague-ish memories of being put in them for car journeys when I was about 3 though.

my cousin and i were out of diapers before we were two and one half, both day and night. but that didnt mean we were very well daytime potty trained. and neither of us were night time dry until high school. mom and aunt mary just followed 'the book' even though we werent ready to be out of diapers by a long shot.

I was a weird child .... apparently I had decided at 18 months that I was a big girl and used the potty. Mom didn’t have training pants or underwear for me, and had to do a quick shopping trip. I had seriously less than 5 accidents and was trained day and night. I do remember one poop accident during a nap probably 5-6 years old.

Apparently I also started having accidents again after my dad died when I was 4 1/2, but mom picked up on that I thought being a baby would bring my dad back. I don’t have any memories of just anf don’t think it involved diapers.

But I never lost interest after that, I remember having a few tiny pairs of training pants that I used for my dolls (maybe from me? They were gerber waffle pants size 1). I loved putting them in my underwear and dribbling into them, I even cut a pair to fit better when I was 7 or so. So maybe diaper obsession related to that .... who knows. Too bad I chicken out everytime I thought about talking to the various psychologists I have been passed around too (long story, medical system sucks) and now I have “graduated” and don’t get any sessions anymore and at $200 a private session is not possible when I can’t work due to other medical issues.

KarmaBaby said:
I was a weird child .... apparently I had decided at 18 months that I was a big girl and used the potty. Mom didn’t have training pants or underwear for me, and had to do a quick shopping trip. I had seriously less than 5 accidents and was trained day and night. I do remember one poop accident during a nap probably 5-6 years old.

Apparently I also started having accidents again after my dad died when I was 4 1/2, but mom picked up on that I thought being a baby would bring my dad back. I don’t have any memories of just anf don’t think it involved diapers.

But I never lost interest after that, I remember having a few tiny pairs of training pants that I used for my dolls (maybe from me? They were gerber waffle pants size 1). I loved putting them in my underwear and dribbling into them, I even cut a pair to fit better when I was 7 or so. So maybe diaper obsession related to that .... who knows. Too bad I chicken out everytime I thought about talking to the various psychologists I have been passed around too (long story, medical system sucks) and now I have “graduated” and don’t get any sessions anymore and at $200 a private session is not possible when I can’t work due to other medical issues.
Why not go to a community mental health center ,they will do sliding scale ,theres quite alot of private therapists that will do sliding scale (they dont put that in the phone book, but many times if you ask them, they will ,especialy for the chronicaly ill, they unfortunately are one of the most underserved segment, chronic illness translates to a whole host of mental health issues,everybody I know including my mom,aunt her husband is at least a PhD and works somewhere in mental health , seems fitting that i became a zebra) nothing to lose by trying , the worst they can do is say no ? And if they say yes , you decide if and when you want to explore the loss .it's that old saying better to light a single candle than to curse the dark ! Find your candle and light it .I realize there is a shortage of Mental health peeps all over the country ,and some community centers are underfunded ( we converted from sick, expensive warehousing asylums , to a much better community based system ,and it was a great thing then lawmakers started siphoning off money for perks for themselves and cutting budgets with mental health not being a priority , enter the drug epidemic a direct result of the deterioration of mental health programs( and before somebody calls b.s on that psychiatrist sub specialty is usually addictionology, or Psycho pharmacology ) and now enter unqualified idiot president who thinks the community mental health model is a failure because him and his buddies wont fund it , he wants to go back to asylum system not thinking gee if I fully funded the community system it would go back to working vs asylum that is going to cost 37 X's more per patient per hour .
Sorry to unload on this ,but common sense isn't so common once you get a civil service position.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I live in Canada so our system is a bit different. We have a government funded self referal system (assess mental health) for mental health that costs you nothing .... downside - it is meant for short term (a few months of regular sessions so I can’t do the every 3-4 weeks like I was with the psychologist from my headache clinic - which lost its funding so not an option anymore). And other than that it’s private section pay per use because they get no government funding.

We were able to work on a few more things so at this moment I’m pretty good, but pattern has been I’m good for a few months and then spiral down again. So just have to keep working on it.

I believe I was potty trained by age 2?

According to my mom at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back