Are TryAgains hot and sweaty like regular plastic backed diapees?

binkyyybunnyyy

Daddy's Dumb Diaper Bunny 🐰💘🦊
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
I'm looking for a new cloth-backed disposable diaper to try as I've only tried the MegaMax AirLocks from NorthShore and while those are really nice, I'm looking to try something with a more little print. I've come across the TryAgains by PretendAgain and they look sooo cute! My only concern is it seems like these are a plastic backed diaper with a cloth-like outer layer, so I would imagine these would feel the same as a plastic backed diapee temperature wise and that's not something I really want, especially with the weather getting warmer where I'm from. Has anyone tried these before? This is really my only worry with these diapers and I'm a little hesitant to spend $50 on something I might find super uncomfortable. Can anyone tell me if these feel as warm as a regular plastic backed diaper? If they do, I might consider trying something like the Alphagatorz or Comfy Cubz.

1711493618724.png

Last edited:
Just an FYI. "cloth backed" is not an accurate description but "cloth like" is closer without being true either. They still use a PE shell only it's not the slick, crinkly smooth PE shell you're used to seeing/feeling. It's roughed up to have texture and therefore feel more "cloth-like". The temperature inside is "supposedly cooler inside" (though I've never felt this way and doubt it personally) and I won't wear the cloth like styles as 95% of them "seep" and as someone who needs to wear, no thank you. I'll take the guaranteed dry on the outside experience I get from the standard PE outer shelled diapers.

Just thought I'd let you know.

Reactions: RecessBoy and binkyyybunnyyy
CptKirk said:
Just an FYI. "cloth backed" is not an accurate description but "cloth like" is closer without being true either. They still use a PE shell only it's not the slick, crinkly smooth PE shell you're used to seeing/feeling. It's roughed up to have texture and therefore feel more "cloth-like". The temperature inside is "supposedly cooler inside" (though I've never felt this way and doubt it personally) and I won't wear the cloth like styles as 95% of them "seep" and as someone who needs to wear, no thank you. I'll take the guaranteed dry on the outside experience I get from the standard PE outer shelled diapers.

Thanks for this!!! Helps a lot actually!!! :D

Reactions: CptKirk
CptKirk said:

These and other more recent "cloth backed" diapers differ from others though. Yes, all diapers have a plastic shell that is waterproof, or else we'd need plastic pants like cloth diapers. But when a company makes a cloth-backed diaper, they put a layer of non-woven cloth-like plastic on top of the plastic shell, so the outer feel is like cloth. Often, they make the plastic shell thinner, since the cloth-like layer adds structural integrity to the diaper as well, but this makes the diaper more prone to leaking/seeping.

A more recent trend of cloth-backed diapers is having a plastic shell that is the same thickness as plastic-backed diapers, and then adding on the cloth-like layer on the outside for the feel. So it would avoid the problem of the shell being leak-prone. But I guess it would also sacrifice breathability/sweatiness. Although I do not have person experience about the breathability.

Reactions: RecessBoy
Hey!

If you're looking for decent breathable cloth-backed diapers with prints, Tykables' Animooz or LNGU's Big Baby Ears (my absolute favourite by far) do a great job!!

Never tried TryAgains. They look cute. Let me know if you happen to try them :)

Reactions: BabyLink9 and binkyyybunnyyy
These are currently my favorite diaper right now. Super comfy. Swell ALOT. adorable print. Can't recommend them enough. And there customer service is great! Try again if you are on this thread. You rock!

• Love
Reactions: binkyyybunnyyy
Diaperedlife13 said:
These are currently my favorite diaper right now. Super comfy. Swell ALOT. adorable print. Can't recommend them enough. And their customer service is great! Try again if you are on this thread. You rock!
I just got my order from PretendAgain the other day and I LOVE the TryAgains! Not too sure how well they’d be in the heat of summer, but right now they’re perfect! Soft outer shell that doesn’t fray/fluff up (probably just a me problem as I’m a big little lol and my thighs destroy the outer shell of my MegaMax Airlocks lol) holds in smell, readjustable tapes, cute design, and I love that the star wetness indicators turn to water droplets! 😂 I LOVE THESE DIAPEES!!! Can’t wait to get more!!!

Reactions: TigerDL and Sealander
SweetDiaperLove said:
Hey!

If you're looking for decent breathable cloth-backed diapers with prints, Tykables' Animooz or LNGU's Big Baby Ears (my absolute favourite by far) do a great job!!

I was looking into those diapers actually! But I did decide to give the TryAgains a go since I was more worried about those ones going out of stock the fastest and I love them! They’re really comfy and super cute!! I might have to do a review on them on here after I try several more!

TigerDL said:
These and other more recent "cloth backed" diapers differ from others though. Yes, all diapers have a plastic shell that is waterproof, or else we'd need plastic pants like cloth diapers. But when a company makes a cloth-backed diaper, they put a layer of non-woven cloth-like plastic on top of the plastic shell, so the outer feel is like cloth. Often, they make the plastic shell thinner, since the cloth-like layer adds structural integrity to the diaper as well, but this makes the diaper more prone to leaking/seeping.

A more recent trend of cloth-backed diapers is having a plastic shell that is the same thickness as plastic-backed diapers, and then adding on the cloth-like layer on the outside for the feel. So it would avoid the problem of the shell being leak-prone. But I guess it would also sacrifice breathability/sweatiness. Although I do not have person experience about the breathability.
I’m noticing that the TryAgains are probably built the same way- I can sometimes feel a little warm as if I was wearing a plastic backed diaper but it hasn’t been bad enough to be super uncomfortable and take it off. That was only really after some fast paced cleaning though, once I was done I felt comfortable again :3

Reactions: TigerDL
They are very hot and thick. Not a real cloth backed diaper. They make me sweat and uncomfortable. These are hotter than any plastic diaper I used (Rearz, ABU, Northshorecare). The absorbency is probably the highest I ever tried but at the cost of comfort and discretion. It is way over the top IMHO and if you need that kind of absorbency then a Rearz/ABU with a booster will be a much more comfortable less sweat option.

I am willing to bet everything in my wallet that so called "breathable" diapers are nothing more than a gimmick! IF air can "flow" through the shell of the diaper, so can liquids and odors.

I won't wear the "cloth like" diapers because they can't be made to stay snug (I know there are a few exceptions. I am speaking about cloth like diapers in general) and the tabs are so damn weak as to be laughable. I have had those type of diapers literally fall off upon standing and once had a diaper fall down under my pants when I was nowhere near where I could "adjust" it. Let me tell you, that SUCKED! I had to look like I had a 2x4 about 2' wide between my legs with how I had to walk due to a soaking wet lump of diaper hanging down one pant leg!

UGH! Now I'm going to have that memory back at the forefront of my mind LOL.

CptKirk

• Wow
Reactions: TigerDL and binkyyybunnyyy
I don't really understand everyone's comments about sweating in diapers. I can wear the thickest plastic backed diapers in the hottest days of the summer and I don't experience sweating and uncomfortableness in my diaper.

Reactions: TigerDL, CptKirk and binkyyybunnyyy
Diaperedlife13 said:
I don't really understand everyone's comments about sweating in diapers. I can wear the thickest plastic backed diapers in the hottest days of the summer and I don't experience sweating and uncomfortableness in my diaper.
That's amazing lol I definitely do, but I start to sweat more when I'm anxious anyway, maybe that's the reason why lol idk

CptKirk said:
I am willing to bet everything in my wallet that so called "breathable" diapers are nothing more than a gimmick! IF air can "flow" through the shell of the diaper, so can liquids and odors.

I won't wear the "cloth like" diapers because they can't be made to stay snug (I know there are a few exceptions. I am speaking about cloth like diapers in general) and the tabs are so damn weak as to be laughable. I have had those type of diapers literally fall off upon standing and once had a diaper fall down under my pants when I was nowhere near where I could "adjust" it. Let me tell you, that SUCKED! I had to look like I had a 2x4 about 2' wide between my legs with how I had to walk due to a soaking wet lump of diaper hanging down one pant leg!

UGH! Now I'm going to have that memory back at the forefront of my mind LOL.

CptKirk
Awww </3 That sounds like a horrible situation to be in! I'm really sorry that happened. At least now you've found out what works better for you! :3

Reactions: CptKirk
binkyyybunnyyy said:
I'm looking for a new cloth-backed disposable diaper to try as I've only tried the MegaMax AirLocks from NorthShore and while those are really nice, I'm looking to try something with a more little print. I've come across the TryAgains by PretendAgain and they look sooo cute! My only concern is it seems like these are a plastic backed diaper with a cloth-like outer layer, so I would imagine these would feel the same as a plastic backed diapee temperature wise and that's not something I really want, especially with the weather getting warmer where I'm from. Has anyone tried these before? This is really my only worry with these diapers and I'm a little hesitant to spend $50 on something I might find super uncomfortable. Can anyone tell me if these feel as warm as a regular plastic backed diaper? If they do, I might consider trying something like the Alphagatorz or Comfy Cubz.

View attachment 132866
whilst I have not tried these, I do find that most cloth backed diapers I have tried are ok for me. I don't know if its just the diapers I use or if I'm an exception.

CptKirk said:
Whether or not a breathable product is a gimmick or not probably comes down to a users specific needs and experience. However, I can assert without reservation that breathable products DO allow movement of air in the product. In fact, it is a huge reason that many plastic backed supporters dislike cloth like backing. Cloth like DO NOT contain odors nearly as well as plastic backing, and they tend to have clammy feeling exteriors that may make you think you've leaked. That clamminess is from liquid vapor passing through the shell. NorthShore themselves rate the MegaMax Airlocks at "9hr" capacity vs the regular "12hr" capacity because of odor control (or its at least one of the factors cited in a discussion here on ADISC with NorthShore).

Here is a link to a great video discussing the difference between plastic and "cloth" backed products. Included is a demonstration of vapor escaping a "cloth" backed item and not escaping plastic: Plastic backed or cloth like backed, what's best for me? Real World Incontinence

Reactions: TigerDL, Heven and binkyyybunnyyy
SweetDiaperLove said:
Hey!

How are the big ear’s baby? I’m thinking about getting some for my little, but like everyone is talking about idk when it comes to the seeping issue. Also the shipping for USPS is concerning for me because they keep loosing all my packages :/

BabyLink9 said:
How are the big ear’s baby? I’m thinking about getting some for my little, but like everyone is talking about idk when it comes to the seeping issue. Also the shipping for USPS is concerning for me because they keep loosing all my packages :/
They are wonderful. They have an outstanding capacity and really feel and look like the memory I have of wearing Pampers when I was a baby. I have always been disappointed by ABDL diapers, as they often look great before buying, and usually feel a bit "fake" when wearing. It's not the case for Big Baby Ears. They really are like real baby diapers. It's amazing.
Same feeling for the Tykables Animooz, even though they're not exactly the same...

I don't know about the shipping where you live. Hope it will be okay

Reactions: BabyLink9
Back