Air travel with diapers - I learned something!

Jellyfish said:
This is good advice. I just logged into my upcoming flight and found that Sprit does indeed have a box that you can check for assistive devices. They give the examples of "CPAP, nebulizer, ventilator, respirator, cane, walker, etc." but I would assume that incon. supplies fit the same category. I also found this when I click the lille "info" icon next to the checkbox:

Bold text is mine. I am hopeful that a few discreet spot checks of medical bags will keep the scammers at bay so that actual medical supplies can board without tearing the bag apart every time.
i have never had an issue with the airlines for the staff have always been super cool and helpful. IC supplies have always been classified as medical devices in my experience no one has questioned it. it is a rare thing that they actually go into your bag but always be prepared just in case. the very few times someone has looked into my bag they didn't remove anything just had a look inside. Same thing international (some reason in Mexico security stops me every time LOL) a quick look inside when they ask me to open my bag and a few standard questions that are asked of everyone they check. They are just looking for stuff you shouldn't be traveling with. Still always polite and professional. The very rare times that my checked bags have been checked which happen after my bags have been checked in and headed to the plane TSA leaves a note inside your bag letting you know they opened it while they had custody. Nothing was disturbed in my bag and if it wasn't for the note i would never have known they opened it. Funny part is when TSA has looked inside it was my other bag not the one with diapers. also i good idea is to check in with the gate agent before boarding so they know up front you have an extra bag tagged as medical device that you are carrying on. Great thing about diapers those can go as checked luggage. Airline staff are there to help not judge.

Reactions: TheBlueHeron and Edgewater
I never had to pay for carry on but I flew with Delta. Last time I few any other airline was in 2007. But I carry a big bag and have all my stuff in it and you can bring on a purse and a carry on free of charge with Delta. But I might consider this for my next air travel.

Joeysms said:
Great thing about diapers those can go as checked luggage.
I'm not sure I would do for that, for fear of the bag getting lost. At minimum I would still want to take several days of supply as carry-on.

Having said that, I can see how it could be helpful to check a bag with the balance of supplies needed for the trip, rather than shipping to the hotel. On our recent trip to Disney, one pack of diapers ended up costing nearly $50 by the time it got to me because a) packs cost more than cases b) no free shipping on packs c) Disney hotel charged $8 to receive it.

However, I could not find anything where assistive devices could go as checked baggage without charge? The law sates that "In implementing your carry-on baggage policies, you must not count assistive devices (including the kinds of items listed in paragraph (a) of this section) toward a limit on carry-on baggage." It says nothing about allowing free checked bags.

Have you had success in checking a medical supplies bag without impacting checked baggage allowance or cost?

Has always worked for me including traveling to Europe.

Jellyfish said:
I'm not sure I would do for that, for fear of the bag getting lost. At minimum I would still want to take several days of supply as carry-on.

Having said that, I can see how it could be helpful to check a bag with the balance of supplies needed for the trip, rather than shipping to the hotel. On our recent trip to Disney, one pack of diapers ended up costing nearly $50 by the time it got to me because a) packs cost more than cases b) no free shipping on packs c) Disney hotel charged $8 to receive it.

However, I could not find anything where assistive devices could go as checked baggage without charge? The law sates that "In implementing your carry-on baggage policies, you must not count assistive devices (including the kinds of items listed in paragraph (a) of this section) toward a limit on carry-on baggage." It says nothing about allowing free checked bags.

Have you had success in checking a medical supplies bag without impacting checked baggage allowance or cost?
i and a friend use to checked a bag with diapers at no fee he always stated the American with Disabilities Act when there was a question, however it has been a long time since i have needed to do that. i am assuming nothing changed with that but i could be wrong. it had only been domestic US flights. my friend was the one who educated me on this years ago. he always addressed it directly with the airline up front. For me I haven't needed to check an extra medical device/diaper bag for a long time due to my wife and i had been flying with Southwest (before covid) which does not have baggage fees for checked bags or carry-on (four checked bags and four carry-on is a lot of space). Sadly Southwest has not gotten back on its feet since covid, so we have been using American. Also we have been traveling more international. We have status with American in which we can check up to at least 4 bags between us free, so i haven't needed to check an extra bag with diapers. one each bag for clothes and toiletries and personal stuff leaves two large bags that can be diapers and we still each have two carry-on bags. Side note: what we like to do on American and we did this with Southwest normally we gate check our carry-on bags at no fee because the airline likes to open up over-head storage on board the plane especially on full flights. So far we have not experienced the airline losing our bags. We have experienced damaged bags, so it does pay to invest in good luggage and the hard shell. Depending on where we are traveling and the length of time i will have a case of diapers drop shipped to the hotel/resort. only when a case is needed than it is cost effective to drop ship. i tend to use more diapers while traveling due to the excitement of it all therefore i wet heavier but also change more frequently being super active. it never heard to ask the airline and address concerns before traveling to the airport.

Joeysms said:
i and a friend use to checked a bag with diapers at no fee he always stated the American with Disabilities Act when there was a question, however it has been a long time since i have needed to do that. i am assuming nothing changed with that but i could be wrong. it had only been domestic US flights.
Very good to know, thanks! I haven't checked bags since we went to Hawaii many years ago. I will keep this in mind if the need arises in the future.

Reactions: Joeysms
DiaperedCherub said:
Hmm, I have recently begun using an ASV sleep machine. This summer I will be traveling to Europe to visit in-law relatives. I wonder if that bit of information might also apply to packing a sleep machine, separately of course. I think I will invest in the same red tag from Amazon.
Great information! Thanks for sharing!
Just bear in mind that things may not be the same in Europe. Some European countries tend to be much more accommodating of disabilities than the US, from what I've heard, but...I would suggest looking into the laws and policies there, as well as budgeting for an extra bag, just in case.

Back