Adult bed wetters

Danielgartin6993 said:
Any bleeding with catheter usage, dude, I’ve had to do that,it was painful and embarrassing, I actually wet myself while awake like a baby
No. Not if done correctly. I did have a defective catheter once that had a very sharp edge around a eyelet and did not notice until I passed it. Ouch felt like pissing razors. What seemed like a lot of blood but maybe not really. I told my doc. even showed him the bad tube. He did a scope to make sure it was all good because I showed him a pick of the toilet bowl and it looked like a horror movie. But that was a very defective tube. It's really pretty straight forward. As long as you dont force nothing you wont get hurt. Provide you are not using defective catheters of course. But if the tube is lubed well enough it will slide right in. A hypoallergenic catheter makes it a lot nicer too. It has a coating that gets real slippery when wet as well as some antibacterial properties. I remembered it use to burn for a few minutes afterwards when I first started though. But nothing so painful that the average person cant handle it. I was very embarrassed to talk about it or have it done like in a hospital setting when I was young. But I realized I didn't ask for any of this and that it is a part of life for a lot of people. I mean they didn't invent them just for me after all. So after you accept that then the rest is no problem. Many of my friends know. In fact more people know I have to use a catheter at night than know about my painful bladder syndrome and the incontinence. I have a far harder time telling someone I use diapers. But that's getting to where I really dont care as much either. But I been doing this a long time as well. Because it get tiring as hell worried what every one else thinks of my health issues. So that's just how I see things.

Reactions: Diprs2
I’m not going through that again, I bled every time I peed it even got on my bed, and it didn’t help my bladder leakage at all

Danielgartin6993 said:
I’m not going through that again, I bled every time I peed it even got on my bed, and it didn’t help my bladder leakage at all
Yeah if you dont have a real medical need it is best to steer clear of catheters. A Foley is a very dangerous way to treat Incontinence. my doctor said anytime a Foley is in place the patient should be on a low dose antibiotic to prevent infection from starting. So if you can survive without them it is best. But if you ever have to do it dont freak out and think it's going to be bloody and painful. Once you learn how and just do it then it's easy. It's way easier when you do it yourself because you can tell if you are hurting your self or not. I have taken a catheter from a nurse on more than once. Because I can do it myself less painfull. So I am certain. You could if you had to. But definitely not a good bunch or toys to play with just for fun. It is far to dangerous for that.

Reactions: Diprs2 and winterheart01
Diaperman95 said:
I cant say I blame you on the urostomy pouch surgery
the one they suggested was even worse.
They would remove part of the lower intestines and use that as a tunnel between the blader neck and belly button. They'd create a "seal" on both ends to prevent leaks but to allow me to insert a single use catheter. However this procedure is so painful it required a pain pump + anti-blood clot injections, it means weekly flushings of this tunnel, risks of UIT's were present so I don't see any benefits of that or a foley , except a lower chance of UTI. However I do know from multiple sources that the valve in the belly button can and will leak at times.
One patient in that hospital was sharing a room with me and told me all about how he leaked during his sleep through his belly, definitely not something to look forward to after such surgery. Another case was a baby who had similar surgery due to some birth defect so they temporarily diverted it through there, his entire onesie was soaked :(
Then when my endocrinologists heard about it when I told them they panicked and said not to do it, infection risk and healing complications would be too high.
Thing is, officially 60% of the people who had this surgery have complications, after the second or third "repair" of this surgery, 90% are able to live a functional life. However what they define under functional is not what I want to spend the next 50+ years in. They said light garden work was the most i was allowed to do, no more heavy workouts or sports, so I would no longer be able to lift my heavy citrus terracotta pots o_O

Diaperman95 said:
Yeah if you dont have a real medical need it is best to steer clear of catheters. A Foley is a very dangerous way to treat Incontinence. my doctor said anytime a Foley is in place the patient should be on a low dose antibiotic to prevent infection from starting. So if you can survive without them it is best. But if you ever have to do it dont freak out and think it's going to be bloody and painful. Once you learn how and just do it then it's easy. It's way easier when you do it yourself because you can tell if you are hurting your self or not. I have taken a catheter from a nurse on more than once. Because I can do it myself less painfull. So I am certain. You could if you had to. But definitely not a good bunch or toys to play with just for fun. It is far to dangerous for that.
I did it myself for many times too because the nurse scraped off bladder neck tissue, which left me with a serious UTI.
I needed 3 x as long to do it but with proper sterile disposable equipment you can do it safely. Regardless it is true that it is a source of bacteria, I don't understand why hospitals keep saying to replace those every 6 weeks (in my case) while I had to do it every week, regardless of material used. (yes I used those expensive rüsch 100% silicone catheters at first but because I needed to replace em so fast I used silicone coated latex and they were actually more comfortable to wear)

But I really am glad I'm rid of this nightmare. I will never forget the look of the pre-op nurse when she saw me entering the room with a foley, she knew me from many past surgeries and she clearly felt sorry for seeing me that way.

winterheart01 said:
I did it myself for many times too because the nurse scraped off bladder neck tissue, which left me with a serious UTI.
I needed 3 x as long to do it but with proper sterile disposable equipment you can do it safely. Regardless it is true that it is a source of bacteria, I don't understand why hospitals keep saying to replace those every 6 weeks (in my case) while I had to do it every week, regardless of material used. (yes I used those expensive rüsch 100% silicone catheters at first but because I needed to replace em so fast I used silicone coated latex and they were actually more comfortable to wear)

But I really am glad I'm rid of this nightmare. I will never forget the look of the pre-op nurse when she saw me entering the room with a foley, she knew me from many past surgeries and she clearly felt sorry for seeing me that way.
I am glad that they have you to the point you are comfortable with your situation, It may not be ideal to everyone but that sure beats 50 years of light duty and constant pain. I am a chronic pain patient and once you start down the road of narcotics its all down hill. I cant imagine a pain pump being any fun to deal with. I have been on the fentanyl patches before but never that. But I got off that shit I just use good old morphine now in a time release and instant release. I wish I could give it all up but I just have way to much going on to go without. You made a very good decision in my eyes. Its hard to believe knowing all the risk and complications of that procedure that any doctor would think its better than being incontinent. I mean diaper verse real pain and life time of disabilities from it. Then it sounds like it leaks while you sleep anyway in many cases. So how do you diaper or protect yourself when its coming out of your stomach? No man I think you did real good in your choice. I doubt I will ever do anything again unless something changes for the worse and I am forced. Its been so long I don't know any better anyway. But I sure did enjoy reading your story. Encourage your friend to keep looking for someone who understands his needs. That and if he hasn't joined the group yet be sure let him know.

Reactions: Diprs2 and winterheart01
Ukbedwetter said:
I’m a lifelong bedwetter too - tried everything growing up but nothing worked and the issue persisted. Now coming to accept that I will always be a bed wetter. I’m in nappies at night. Also wet sometimes in the day - like when I can’t get to a toilet quickly or if I’m on a long car trip. So I will also wear nappies in the day depending on the situation.
Me too. My siblings were potty trained and dry at night at 2-3, but I wasn’t and was in nappies at night until mid teens. Then issued started recurring in my 30’s with occasional wet nights and by 40 I was wet every night without fail. I have OAB and urgency in the day and never wake in night with sensation of needing a wee. I’ve had spinal injury and surgery and that’s had an effect on my bladder control and sensations down there. Was under urology and spinal consultant care at same time. Combination of issues. I’ve accepted it and at 60 it’s just normal like it is for you to wear nappies to bed and in the day time if I feel I may need them

Reactions: sport1, Diprs2 and Wetshisbed
Wet at night off and on growing up. Still wet 1-3 times a week on average. I’m Diapered at night. Daytime I have some small leaks urge IC some lifting and such. I wear washable briefs during the day so no wet pants :)

Reactions: chamberpot, Deleted member 39574, bdale and 1 other person
never was a bed wetter. But I recently became one last year

Reactions: diaperdude and Diprs2
Zeke said:
Why the Hell is that anyhow? Is it because they see diapers as a failure on their part to cure the problem, or is it because there’s no revenue in diapers for them, or something else?
I know this is an older post which I just recently came across. This is exactly what I was thinking after my last Urologist appt in Sept, 2023. Although my urologist didn't outright condemn my decision to use diapers to deal with my oab/urge incon, He was pushing pretty strong on trying an e-stim device. His opinion was that with possibly another at least 20 years to live, it would be a shame to be in diapers. The diapers do not come with crazy side effects or possible infections other than possibly a diaper rash. It's as though doctors have declared a war on diapers. I also feel that they must not derive any financial benefit from having a patient in diapers. I just don't get it.

Reactions: chamberpot, sledder23, Zeke and 1 other person
Of course, the urologist wants to help you get rid of the incontinence. In addition, there are guidelines that say that a pad supply is preferable to a diaper supply. In the case of severe incontinence, draining aids are also to be preferred.
Therefore, he will ask why exactly it has to be diapers and why it can't be a condom urinal.
I think that is absolutely OK, because there are reasons for this guideline. These are not - as one might assume - cost savings, but because there is less skin irritation with draining aids and pads.
However, I have never experienced that - if you explain the matter there is a problem. With men, the anatomy is always difficult with severe incontinence with pads, so that it is there - if it does not work with the condom cathetre often comes down to a diaper supply...

Reactions: Diprs2 and diaperdude
I still wet my bed but I’m ok during the day

I have wet at night my entire life. I had reasonable daytime control until my mid 60's.

Reactions: chamberpot and Diprs2
I bed wet every night till I was 15 years old. I still have wet nights if I get over tired and stressed or if alcohol is involved. I have no issues during the day.

jdinvirginia said:
Re urologists, they understandably want to cure the underlying medical cause. Just "managing" the incontinence is not what they went to medical school for. Some are more flexible and understanding than others. Mine is very helpful.:)
I was refered to the continence nurse for practical help managing my incontinence and enuresis.

I was never a bed wetter growing up but about a year ago started having what the doctor called an "urgent bladder" and had a couple of accidents in bed when I couldn't get up quick enough to make it to the bathroom. My wife put a pad on the bed and me in a disposable diaper but they leaked from sleeping on my side. We switched to cloth training pants and plastic panties but they weren't absorbent enough so we got nighttime pre-fold cloth diapers and plastic panties and they worked fine so now I'm in diapers every night and sometimes training pant during the day.

Reactions: Diprs2 and chamberpot
Because of medication I'm on I will very rarely be wet in the morning and have no memory of it. Because of that I always wear a diaper to bed. But now I have found that even if I wake up, I just lay there and use my diaper and go back to sleep. Last night it almost seemed like a dream that I was sweating while sleeping and woke up wet

• Wow
Reactions: chamberpot and Deleted member 74790
I wet in my sleep 4/6 times a week , also have balder urgency in the day

Reactions: Deleted member 39574, Wetshisbed and chamberpot
I have replied to this thread a few times over the last 3 or 4 years, I have not been dry in the morning for a long time, I know that I am wearing the best protection that i can get for it and am totally ok with being a nighttime wetter, I still sometimes know when I am wetting but for the most part I just wake up to find that I am soaked and that the Mega-Max that I have on has once again done what is supposed to do and has kept the bed dry. I am never in a rush to change as I usually can have a few more wets before any danger of leaking, sometimes don't change until after noon.

Reactions: ryanbailey, Diprs2, Wetshisbed and 1 other person
chamberpot said:
I have replied to this thread a few times over the last 3 or 4 years, I have not been dry in the morning for a long time, I know that I am wearing the best protection that i can get for it and am totally ok with being a nighttime wetter, I still sometimes know when I am wetting but for the most part I just wake up to find that I am soaked and that the Mega-Max that I have on has once again done what is supposed to do and has kept the bed dry. I am never in a rush to change as I usually can have a few more wets before any danger of leaking, sometimes don't change until after noon.
If I am staying home I never rush to change when I get up.

Reactions: Diprs2 and chamberpot
Back