Guest viewing is limited
  • Guests can only view a limited number of pages. Please log in or register to remove this limit.
  • 4 guest views remaining

Abdl baby powder!!

PrettyLilPrincess said:
A couple years ago, there were a ton of lawsuits against J&J regarding their talc baby powder. In case you didn’t know, with the way talc is mined, there is at least one other material that’s combined with it that is carcinogenic. Symptoms don’t show until years later. J&J denied everything. I explain it pretty badly here, but don’t just take my word for it. Look up an article on google, or a video in YouTube.
A couple of years ago?! It was all done and finished here at least ten years ago and they haven't made the original sine then. It could just as likely have been 15 years ago - so they changed it. Where are you getting your news from?

Last edited:
Wilfulwetter said:
A couple of years ago?! It was all done and finished here at leat ten years ago and they haven't made the original sine then. It could just as likely have been 15 years ago - so they changed it. Where are you getting your news from?
Here are some videos I’ve compiled
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thank you. I did a bit of reading here. In UK J&J use Cornstarch. But I really had no idea they still used asbestos over there..
Why I have no idea. Thanks for your links.

• Thinking
Reactions: Hemix and PrettyLilPrincess
Wilfulwetter said:
That was YEARS ago!
True, but if inhaled a lot it can still cause lung cancer.
But it's not specifically the talcum, any fine powder does that, this is why bakers died early long ago from the flour they inhaled.
If you gently apply it on the hand and rub the skin in with it it creates far less dust clouds than simply spraying talcum all over

Reactions: eastcoastdl and quartz200420012
winterheart01 said:
But it's not specifically the talcum, any fine powder does that, this is why bakers died early long ago from the flour they inhaled.
If you gently apply it on the hand and rub the skin in with it it creates far less dust clouds than simply spraying talcum all over
Our bakers are local and hale and hearty. And why would anybody inhale a lot.....?

PrettyLilPrincess said:
Found out last night that Rearz has recently released an Abdl baby powder! See for yourself! :D

It’s talc free and starch free, which is amazing!
The price is absolutely insane. Pure exploitation.
LittleBoyInTheRedHoodie said:
I’m pretty sure that the J&J powder in the pink and white bottle is outlawed in the United States because of the whole talc controversy / Chinese talc containing asbestos.
I need to move to Britain! ❤️
We don't have anything by Johnson's in a pink and white bottle.... And you would be very welcome here.

Reactions: LittleBoyInTheRedHoodie
Wilfulwetter said:
The price is absolutely insane. Pure exploitation.

We don't have anything by Johnson's in a pink and white bottle.... And you would be very welcome here.
Ooooo! Thank you! I have dreams of traveling to Britain some day. ❤️

This is all good but I'm gonna nope out on 12 bucks for a bottle of baby powder that's probably already on the market, just under a different label. Right now I'm getting Parents Choice baby powder with cornstarch and it's just as good as J&J.

winterheart01 said:
You mean no more powder fights then?
winterheart01 said:

PrettyLilPrincess said:
Put simply, it’s been known to cause cancer
this isn't too much better. The clay in it has lead.

Kayleigh said:
Are there gold flakes in it for $75.00?
I call the original talc Johnson's baby powder white gold since it now has to be imported from overseas for an exorbitant cost.
PrettyLilPrincess said:
Put simply, it’s been known to cause cancer
To be frank, this is not true. First, we have to separate asbestos-containing talc and asbestos-free talc. Baby powder and talc cosmetic products are made from the latter. In the event of trace contamination, it is highly unlikely that trace amounts will make a statistically significant change in health outcomes.

With respect to ovarian cancer (what the women in the JnJ lawsuits were suing over), the research is inconclusive, meaning some studies show increased risk and others don't. If it were conclusive, we would expect every study to show increased risk. Additionally, for the studies that show increased risk, there are alternative explanations such as small sample size or unrealistically high dose.

For lung cancer, there has been zero evidence linking talc cosmetic products to it. Even for miners and millers of talc who are exposed to it day in and day out, the studies are inconclusive.

The reason why the lawsuits are a thing is due to how the American justice system works. Someone suffering a rare cancer out of the blue for seemingly no reason will grasp at straws for a reason, any reason, as to, "Why me?" ...Hey, big, bad company might be at fault plus a lawyer who stands to make a lot of money from a class action lawsuit (A third of a multimillion dollar settlement is a lot of money.) equals a lot of perverse incentives to pursue lawsuits. (Obviously not all lawsuits are like this.)

In a civil lawsuit, all the lawyers for the women have to do is convince a jury that on the balance of probabilities, they're more likely to be right than their opponent (i.e. at least 51% sure). They don't have to prove beyond reasonable doubt like in a criminal trial (i.e 100% sure). Given that the jury is made up of laypeople, any verdict is more likely to be based on the theatrical performance of the lawyers than on solid scientific evidence which is what happened here. One side-women suffering horrible, rare cancer. Other side-"big, bad corporation." Who's side do you think the jury's going to fall on?

JnJ pulled their talc baby powders from the US and Canada due to the lawsuits because of a PR problem, not because of any conclusive evidence that their baby powders cause cancer. All other talc baby powder companies followed suit in the US. Johnson's talc baby powder is still on sale in other countries around the world including in the EU which has stricter safety standards.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now as far as Rearz selling baby powder, I don't really see the point since I can buy real baby powder and for a lot less.

Last edited:
Reactions: eastcoastdl, wiliawi, Iron and 1 other person
Wilfulwetter said:
That was YEARS ago!
Where you are, maybe the problem with asbestos contamination has been worked out. They didn't fix anything, here. They just kept it from us. It's all so contaminated here, I'm pretty sure they just banned talc in baby everything, instead of decon.

Wilfulwetter said:
Our bakers are local and hale and hearty. And why would anybody inhale a lot.....?
I was referring to "long ago" but you clearly missed that....
It's a known fact in Europe bakers used to die early from lung cancer from inhaling the flour, 40+ years ago

winterheart01 said:
It's a known fact in Europe bakers used to die early from lung cancer from inhaling the flour, 40+ years ago
My mistake. "long ago" makes sense. I missed the reference to the past - though it's not so past. In 1982 I don't know what our bakers were doing over here. But we knew some who made the bread and 2 are hale and hearty today. Forty years isn't really a long time ago. I remember most of what I was doing.

One question, what does it smell like?

😊

winterheart01 said:
The thing is smoking also used to be more prevalent in Europe 40 years ago, and we all know what that leads to.
SpAzpieSweeTot said:
Where you are, maybe the problem with asbestos contamination has been worked out. They didn't fix anything, here. They just kept it from us. It's all so contaminated here, I'm pretty sure they just banned talc in baby everything, instead of decon.
Nope, it’s not banned because there’s no conclusive evidence linking talc baby powder to harm. Johnson & Johnson pulled talc baby powder out of the US/Canada due to a PR problem, not because there was conclusive evidence linking it to harm. Case in point, it’s still for sale worldwide, you know, everywhere else where people are less sue-happy. A decision by a layperson jury does not a scientific fact make.

Ironically, a study where they relied on people’s 40-year-old memories of applying baby powder found an increased risk of ovarian cancer while a study that didn’t rely on memories found no increased risk of ovarian cancer. I would trust the latter. People’s memories are not as reliable as one might think. (See eyewitness testimony reliability.)

Unfortunately, people hear “trace amounts” and freak out. The thing is there’s trace amounts of things in everything. Water? Trace amounts of drugs, arsenic, heavy metals, and other carcinogens. Air? Trace amounts of background radiation. Etc., etc., etc. Yet you don’t hear people freaking out about being alive. Trace amounts are typically measured in ppm, that is, parts per million, meaning the amount is so small that it has a negligible effect on anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: eastcoastdl, star, winterheart01 and 1 other person
Even if talc baby powder was contaminated with 1% asbestos, applying it to a baby over 2 years would still not hit OSHA’s limits for asbestos exposure.

Well tobid, these women were applying it for decades.

Okay, fair enough. Let’s take that 1% and divide it by 50 for a 100 year lifespan. That should cover virtually everyone. 0.02%

There was a batch of Johnson’s baby powder that was recalled due to asbestos contamination. How much asbestos was in it you ask?

20%? No.

2%? Still nope.

How about 0.02%? Nope.

It was 0.00002% or 1 part in 5 million. To put that in perspective, there’s about 330 million people in the US. 1 in 5 million would be 66 people. This is the contamination level that people are concerned about. Let me remind you 0.02% is considered safe by OSHA, the US’s labor safety agency, over a 100 year lifespan. 0.00002% was found in a limited set, which by the way was recalled.

Last edited:
Reactions: eastcoastdl and Honeywell6180
tobid03 said:
Even if talc baby powder was contaminated with 1% asbestos, applying it to a baby over 2 years would still not hit OSHA’s limits for asbestos exposure.

Okay, fair enough. Let’s take that 1% and divide it by 50 for a 100 year lifespan. That should cover virtually everyone. 0.02%

There was a batch of Johnson’s baby powder that was recalled due to asbestos contamination. How much asbestos was in it you ask?

20%? No.

2%? Still nope.

How about 0.02%? Nope.

It was 0.00002% or 1 part in 5 million. To put that in perspective, there’s about 330 million people in the US. 1 in 5 million would be 66 people. This is the contamination level that people are concerned about. Let me remind you 0.02% is considered safe by OSHA, the US’s labor safety agency, over a 100 year lifespan. 0.00002% was found in a limited set, which by the way was recalled.

Those are some interesting points and facts. You go to the grocery store now, and you can't even find corn starch powders. In my own humble opinion, these lawsuits were for greed, and money. So J&J is just to spin off its powder division into a separate company so it can declare bankruptcy. These lawsuits have made things very difficult for a considerable number of people.

Reactions: tobid03
Honeywell6180 said:
Those are some interesting points and facts. You go to the grocery store now, and you can't even find corn starch powders. In my own humble opinion, these lawsuits were for greed, and money. So J&J is just to spin off its powder division into a separate company so it can declare bankruptcy. These lawsuits have made things very difficult for a considerable number of people.
Cornstarch baby powder is still available in my area. It might be supply chain issues. But your right about this causing issues for a lot of people. Some people can’t use cornstarch baby powder for certain reasons and relied on talc baby powder.

Unfortunately, the way the US justice system is doesn’t always dispense true justice.

tobid03 said:

20%? No.

2%? Still nope.

How about 0.02%? Nope.

Case in point, one of the early failed lawsuits against JnJ involved a man claiming using Johnson’s talc baby powder caused his lung cancer. A biopsy of his lungs found asbestos all over. Yet given the known potential levels of asbestos contamination, do you think this guy had a leg to stand on? Trace amounts does not a lung full of asbestos make. JnJ, probably rightly in my opinion, said his asbestos-filled lungs were due to industrial work. His lawsuit failed. Yet, his lawyer after seeing a successful lawsuit in recent years said it would succeed today. Clearly, in this guy’s case, it was nothing more than a money grab against a corporation with deep pockets.

Back