Diapers for road-trips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldberg

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I'm taking a road trip next week up to Scotland. I do a lot of trips to Scotland.

It's roughly 7 hours from my place in Sunderland to the first big stop on my trip, Ullapool (I'm going to be going via Stirling where I'll stop briefly)

The next day, I wont be driving as far, probably about 3 hours & the day after that about 4 or 5 hours.

Does anyone know which diapers which would be appropriate for a road trip?Ideally, I'd want something that can hold quite a lot & is reasonably comfortable. Any recommendations?

I wear my thickest (usually abena L4 or drycomfort247) under loose fitting clothes. I

NorthShore Supremes are still by far the best performers in a seated position. They are durable, great leak guards, and have excellent absorbancy/wicking characteristics. But, they aren't too thick (not thin either) and have the uncanny ability to actually wick moisture from front to back while seated. Every other product I've tried pools up and only utilizes the front padding while sitting. These don't. Not sure they're available in your location though...

Betterdry is your best bet. Confidry and Northshire Supreme are really good too.

I wouldn't use Abena or other lesser brands though. With sitting down for long periods they all have a difficult time not leaking. Especially for more than a few hours.

I'd also choose a Betterdry, Dry 24/7 or Bellissimo; there's no sense in skimping on absorbency because sitting in a car seat is about the least favourable position for a nappy to serve its purpose. You won't be needing maximum freedom of movement nor discretion, so go for thick and thirsty. I usually add boosters, so end up with a visible nappy bulge in my jeans, but people in motorway service stations are not usually there to study the fit of other peoples' clothes and it sure beats a wet seat.

If you are able to wet while driving I think you are lucky - quite a few people report having difficulty letting go. I can't usually wet at all unless I pull over and stop the engine. Sometimes I even have to get out of the car before I can wet, but it's still much easier and more pleasant to use the nappy than to have to find somewhere to wee outdoors. The ability to let go depends on my confidence in the nappy, which is one of the reasons I err on the side of excessive absorbency. In fact the few times I have managed to wet while on the move, I have had a full bladder and been unable to stop, so there is some method in the madness.

Abena or Tena Slip Maxi works for me and my sister

Better Dry diapers have woeked out great for me they manage my OAB issue and occasional bowel accident well

Rob110 said:
Better Dry diapers have woeked out great for me they manage my OAB issue and occasional bowel accident well

Never heard of these?

I second a vote for Northshore Supreme. As Llayden said above...they work very well in a seated position and do good job at evenly distributing wetness through the whole diaper

Betterdry are good but they need a size between their medium and large.

Goldberg said:
I'm taking a road trip next week up to Scotland. I do a lot of trips to Scotland.

It's roughly 7 hours from my place in Sunderland to the first big stop on my trip, Ullapool (I'm going to be going via Stirling where I'll stop briefly)

The next day, I wont be driving as far, probably about 3 hours & the day after that about 4 or 5 hours.

Does anyone know which diapers which would be appropriate for a road trip?Ideally, I'd want something that can hold quite a lot & is reasonably comfortable. Any recommendations?
Tykables overnights are DL great. I have never tried more than one wetting per diaper
How many litres should it hold,? Most diapers say how much it can hold per diaper on the website.

Sent from my U673C using Tapatalk

I would suggest plastic backed Attends (European) Tena Maxi or even Ultima. I’ve used all of these while driving and they’re both really absorbent and quite discreet as well.

antte91 said:
I would suggest plastic backed Attends (European) Tena Maxi or even Ultima. I’ve used all of these while driving and they’re both really absorbent and quite discreet as well.

Nope. Like we've been saying. The OP is going to need a really thick and thirsty diaper. Diapers like Abena, Tena, EU Attends, and such, may all work well enough during the day, but that's when you're active, moving around, seated for mYbe an hour at a time, controlling how much you pee in them, and/or most importantly are able to chance every few hours.

Being seated in a car for 3+ hours straight is completely different though. Mediocre diapers like that will NOT be enough. Betterdry is a fairly new diaper (recently redesigned), but is by far the best out there for long term sitting, without changing, and never leaking. Confidry and Northshore Supreme are also premium and will work good too. Anything less, and just forget it.

It seems like the Northshore Supreme is pretty good. Is that available in the UK at 6 days notice?

I think my earliest diaper memory and where I started picking up the obsessions was 4-6, I don't exactly remember, my parents put me in a diaper when we went on a long road trip across country after I had long been potty trained. I was complaining about having to pee and my mom reminded me I was wearing a diaper for a reason and so I ended up flooding it.

Ooooh, good luck. I have trouble finding a diaper that can reliably last longer than six hours absolute maximum.

You could investigate cloth diapers. You can layer those as much as you need, within reason.

Kaliborio said:
Ooooh, good luck. I have trouble finding a diaper that can reliably last longer than six hours absolute maximum.

You could investigate cloth diapers. You can layer those as much as you need, within reason.

Betterdry is available in the UK. They will last me, being very well hydrated, for up to 24 hours. Though I don't recommend more than about 10-12 hours ir rashes become a concern.

Looks like it's Betterdry for me, unless anyone has any other suggestions.

Thank you all for your help.

Thanks for the recommendation, Betterdry has been working well for me on this trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back