If you died tomorrow, would anyone here notice?

I hope that you will heal in time and be able to do your normal stuff.

People have a lot going on now and they are involved just surviving. Unless you are really close to people, you will not be missed. They just assume you are doing something else.

Last year one of the FB bots didn’t like a meme I posted and I was banished for a month. Only one person noticed that I wasn’t posting motivational and pet stuff every day.

• Thinking
  • Hug
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, BBBen and KBoy
Seasonedcitizen said:
I hope that you will heal in time and be able to do your normal stuff.

People have a lot going on now and they are involved just surviving. Unless you are really close to people, you will not be missed. They just assume you are doing something e
Last year one of the FB bots didn’t like a meme I posted and I was banished for a month. Only one person noticed that I wasn’t posting motivational and pet stuff every day.
Sorry to bother you baby
Can you fill me in a little?
How do i avoid this
i want to speak my mind
@Seasonedcitizen ✌️

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and BBBen
Wow, @TeddyBearCowboy, I'm very sorry to hear about the recent accident and injuries. I'm glad you're still here, IRL and on ADISC.

I went through a period of ADISC burnout a few years ago, disappeared for about six weeks, and when I returned there wasn't any acknowledgment of my absence in the forum. I think online support communities in general tend to be a little on the selfish side though. If you want an extreme example of that, check out a support forum for some company's product. People will sign up, post a rant, somebody will reply to them, and then they'll never be seen again. Things aren’t usually that bad here (probably because there's no money involved, ha ha), but a lot of us do sort of show up in need, take what we can get, and leave. I try not to be unduly depressed by that because the forum is such a narrow window on people's lives. I love it for the opportunity it provides to meet people, but I don’t place much expectation on the people I haven’t interacted with privately and gotten to know better. I’d just get my feelings hurt.

And I don't doubt that I would have noticed your absence eventually. Others would have too. Don't feel bad. I often browse profiles and see posts like, "Hey! Haven't seen you in a while. Hope you’re ok!" I’ve made posts of that sort myself, sometimes months after the person’s last visit. We do sense loss, but in a large group it can take a while to identify the culprit. :) Don’t give up on the forums, but lean harder on those personal friendships when you can. They’ll always be a better indicator.

Last edited:
  • Hug
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, TeeMousy, artemisenterri and 2 others
I don't think about that. If I die, so sure I'd loose all interests as an alive. May I'll have different interests as a vampire or ghost.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Cottontail and KBoy
KBoy said:
Sorry to bother you baby
Can you fill me in a little?
How do i avoid this
i want to speak my mind
@Seasonedcitizen ✌️
The internet really took off after 2000. You could find Yahoo groups on your favorite topics. You had buddies around the world to discuss stuff. You were just a posting, not a real person. If you didn’t post, people would figure that you had other things to do. I just got back from a Saturday night church service. If I missed one, someone would email me to see if I was OK. We have a physical connection with each other.

During Covid, people had to do church services online. I would watch 3-4 on a Sunday. I can still do it now but I would lose the physical connection of the shared experience with others. The internet can be a great tool for knowledge and meeting people but you have to do it face to face.

Make a mental list of the people you know. How many do you enjoy talking to? How many would you invite over for dinner?

• Love
Reactions: TeeMousy and PadPhilosopher
I've actually had people ask, where's dogboy when I've been gone for a few days, but as others have said, any online site is a bit impersonal. That said, I am sorry you've had a terrible injury.

I got hit by a car which was running a red light when I was 15 and was sidelined at home for half a year. None of my friends came to visit me and that really hurt, so it can happen in the physical lives we live. What's important is that you are getting support from your in life friends, that and family. We are here for you however. As you know, I've always enjoyed and have listened to what you have to say.

I think part of the problem is that we have gotten a lot of new members who are posting a lot of the same things we responded to years ago, so we seem to get all mixed up and jumbled as to who's posting and responding, and who's not.

Now, I will worry about you and pray for as much of a full recovery as possible. Hang in there my friend.

• Hug
Reactions: Seasonedcitizen, BBBen, TeeMousy and 1 other person
I'm very sorry about you're accident and I wish you a speedy recovery. I can also easily understand why you aren't on regularly because of your profession.

As for my answer, like many said it's a support site but also kind of informal. I consider adisc kind of extended family but know pretty much noone can keep track of everyone here. I have some friends here I have talked to a lot that might notice but I'm not a daily poster (though I try to be) either I've had entire weeks away so I believe the bulk probably couldn't tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Seasonedcitizen, Sealander and 2 others
It is very sad, that some people would not be missed at all when they die. In England, there is a story about a young woman who died at home, and her skeletal remains were only found three years later when rent collectors broke down her door, and the television was still on.

• Sad
Reactions: dogboy, Seasonedcitizen, TeeMousy and 3 others
Back