Is late potty training becoming increasingly normalized?

According to a study published in the Journal of Pediatric Psychology, the average age of potty training in the United States now stands at 33 months. This is a substantial increase compared to the 1970s, when the average age was 24 months.

Reactions: Hell2DaNaw and PadPhilosopher
12srepaid said:
None of my/our business is also good. Only Exception: If a child is being forced to wear diapers against their will, then there are problems.
Even here, making a hard and fast rule isn't appropriate. It sounds good, until you think down the road a little further. What toddler hasn't removed their own diaper, soiled the bed, and had a conniption at the insistence of the parent that the diaper really was necessary and required? Most do that at some point. What about the older child who has a physiological problem preventing continence, but doesn't want to wear protection for whatever reason? I know of such a person. He was 6 and had been injured in a car accident.

Parents have to parent. They have to look at all the available information and reach a conclusion about what the best thing for the child is, and the conclusion they reach may or may not align with the child's preferences. This goes both ways, to diaper or not to diaper. Do some parents do a lousy job considering their child's best interests? Yes, and this goes much farther than this single issue. However, we ought to respect that other people's children are their concern, not ours, unless there are clear signs that they're being seriously harmed. Busybodies cause more harm, including to children, than most poor parenting ever could.

For whatever it's worth, I have three children. I love them dearly, and understand the importance of getting these things right, and the utter impossibility of getting everything right all the time. We do the best we can.

Reactions: Dune1001, Lilschoolfox, 12srepaid and 1 other person
PadPhilosopher said:
we ought to respect that other people's children are their concern, not ours, unless there are clear signs that they're being seriously harmed. Busybodies cause more harm, including to children, than most poor parenting ever could.
Amen! So True!

Reactions: AJFan2020 and PadPhilosopher
Hell2DaNaw said:
Does anyone else feel like it’s becoming increasingly normal for parents to delay or even not potty train? I’ve recently come across several posts on reddit talking about how schools are having to accommodate non-SpED kindergarteners and even first graders who are still wearing diapers and pull-ups.Most of the comments are blaming the lazy parents, who in turn are throwing the blame on COVID and many say they “simply don’t have time as both parents work”.

In the last couple years, every diaper brand has released a larger size (Huggies & Pampers have size 7, Pull-ups & Easy-Ups debuted 5T-6T and GoodNites came out with the XL size) and it’s seemingly become more normalized for even adult women to wear depends and always discreet for periods & postpartum.

It seems like the diaper manufacturers have enough data to justify producing larger sizes, which to me indicates that the trend of kids potty training later is here to stay. I’d love to hear what you all think of this. Do you personally have experience seeing potty training happening later? Will the trend reverse?

As someone actively trying to potty train a toddler it's the parents. Most people are told put them on the potty every 20-25 mins but they aren't teaching them to listen to their bodies ques. My toddler was fully potty trained within a month when I just put her in undies and said when you feel wet run to the potty she learned what it felt like when she had to pee but now that her father is telling her she's having 4-9 accidents a day depending on how much she drinks.

Reactions: Hell2DaNaw
I think diaper manufacturers are also somewhat to blame. Coming out with larger sizes and making it seem far more normal for a child of 3 or 4 years old to need them. Especially with the likes of pull ups bringing out 5t-6t that has a weight range that could fit the average 7 year old! And these aren’t products aimed at night time either, they’re daytime training pants!

Hell2DaNaw said:
Does anyone else feel like it’s becoming increasingly normal for parents to delay or even not potty train? I’ve recently come across several posts on reddit talking about how schools are having to accommodate non-SpED kindergarteners and even first graders who are still wearing diapers and pull-ups.Most of the comments are blaming the lazy parents, who in turn are throwing the blame on COVID and many say they “simply don’t have time as both parents work”.

In the last couple years, every diaper brand has released a larger size (Huggies & Pampers have size 7, Pull-ups & Easy-Ups debuted 5T-6T and GoodNites came out with the XL size) and it’s seemingly become more normalized for even adult women to wear depends and always discreet for periods & postpartum.

It seems like the diaper manufacturers have enough data to justify producing larger sizes, which to me indicates that the trend of kids potty training later is here to stay. I’d love to hear what you all think of this. Do you personally have experience seeing potty training happening later? Will the trend reverse?

I was at that age in the 1940s. My mother avoided the issue because she liked her "baby" just the way he was; it made her feel young. As kindergarten loomed in late Summer a half-hearted attempt was made to train me. I never did get the hang of it. I wet at night till 11, stopped for two years, started again at 13 and have wet episodically throughout my life.

NappiedB said:
I think diaper manufacturers are also somewhat to blame. Coming out with larger sizes and making it seem far more normal for a child of 3 or 4 years old to need them. Especially with the likes of pull ups bringing out 5t-6t that has a weight range that could fit the average 7 year old! And these aren’t products aimed at night time either, they’re daytime training pants!
Try 8 or 9 years old I mean not all 9 nine year old but definitely plenty

Reactions: NappiedB and Hell2DaNaw
NappiedB said:
Maybe instead of looking at sizes 6 and up diapers & pull-ups being for late potty trainers, people should look at them as being for kids with disabilities.
The diaper companies should steer the focus in that direction as well. Adults here acting as if older kids are not allowed to have incontinence problems.

Last edited:
12srepaid said:
Maybe instead of looking at sizes 6 and up diapers & pull-ups being for late potty trainers, people should look at them as being for kids with disabilities.
The diaper companies should steer the focus in that direction as well. Adults here acting as if older kids are not allowed to have incontinence problems.
For example, some children with level three autism (or even level two) can take much longer to train especially if they are nonverbal. Even level one autism might result in a six month to one year delay in how long it takes to train during the day.

I know some people who have kids or grandkids who are on the spectrum and I have never seen anyone with level one autism train during the day before age three-and-a-half. From what I have seen you can add on at least a year or two beyond that for each autism level even in the absence of any other disabilities (and without the person being medically incontinent).

On a related note I was pretty much level two on the autism spectrum (by today’s standards) when I was growing up (I am currently level one) and I was toilet trained during the day (loosely speaking) when I started kindergarten just before age six. This was back in the early 1980s when the Pampers were just paper and plastic (they were not using super absorbent polymers yet) and I still took a long time to train. It also wasn’t laziness on the part of my parents. They bought a potty chair and started training me in the eighteen month to two year range, but it took me until age three-and-a-half (or even slightly older) before I knew what to do (let alone how to do it). It took me a good two years beyond that before I was consistent enough with this to be able to get into school.

My biggest issues after I knew what I was supposed to do (and the mechanics of how to do it) were a total (or near total) lack of embarrassment until around third grade (age nine), not being bothered by the feeling of wetness (most of the time), not knowing that I needed to “go” until the last minute, a fear of loud noises (such as the sound of the toilet flushing), and a more general difficulty using unfamiliar toilets.

The only reasons that I trained at all were that my mother noticed me doing the potty dance and took me to the toilet fairly often after I turned four (I may not have been doing the potty dance before that), and the fact that I would get diaper rashes fairly easily due to unusually sensitive skin.

The bottom line is that some kids need diapers longer than others.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12srepaid and PadPhilosopher
GoodniteQueen said:
Try 8 or 9 years old I mean not all 9 nine year old but definitely plenty
Oh wow, are they that big?

12srepaid said:
I completely agree with you, but I doubt that’s what happening. As much as it would be nice, and make life a lot easier for parents of kids with disabilities, at the end of the day diaper companies are looking to make profit and I doubt that market is big enough for them. For example, in the UK, Tesco make bigger diapers for kids with disabilities. Had this been a huge and profitable market, other supermarkets would have followed suit (which they haven’t). This leads me to believe that these larger sizes of diapers and pull ups are down to late potty training. Which like I’ve said before on here isn’t necessarily a bad thing, just noticing the trend.

PadPhilosopher said:
Even here, making a hard and fast rule isn't appropriate. It sounds good, until you think down the road a little further. What toddler hasn't removed their own diaper, soiled the bed, and had a conniption at the insistence of the parent that the diaper really was necessary and required? Most do that at some point. What about the older child who has a physiological problem preventing continence, but doesn't want to wear protection for whatever reason? I know of such a person. He was 6 and had been injured in a car accident.

Parents have to parent. They have to look at all the available information and reach a conclusion about what the best thing for the child is, and the conclusion they reach may or may not align with the child's preferences. This goes both ways, to diaper or not to diaper. Do some parents do a lousy job considering their child's best interests? Yes, and this goes much farther than this single issue. However, we ought to respect that other people's children are their concern, not ours, unless there are clear signs that they're being seriously harmed. Busybodies cause more harm, including to children, than most poor parenting ever could.

For whatever it's worth, I have three children. I love them dearly, and understand the importance of getting these things right, and the utter impossibility of getting everything right all the time. We do the best we can.
This sums up my thoughts very well. Hard and fast rules in many facets of life create issues and although I'm not looking to get into a debate on ethics here, in the context of this topic I believe it applies and things need to be taken case by case.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
NappiedB said:
I completely agree with you, but I doubt that’s what happening. As much as it would be nice, and make life a lot easier for parents of kids with disabilities, at the end of the day diaper companies are looking to make profit and I doubt that market is big enough for them. For example, in the UK, Tesco make bigger diapers for kids with disabilities. Had this been a huge and profitable market, other supermarkets would have followed suit (which they haven’t). This leads me to believe that these larger sizes of diapers and pull ups are down to late potty training. Which like I’ve said before on here isn’t necessarily a bad thing, just noticing the trend.
If the market isn't big enough, then why size 7 & 8 diapers in the first place? Maybe side-step marketing. Personally I think the market is big enough to better assist with older children with disabilities. They just don't want to, as if these children don't matter. If you care about customers, you will earn money!

Last edited:
12srepaid said:
If the market isn't big enough, then why size 7 & 8 diapers in the first place? Maybe side-step marketing. Personally I think the market is big enough to better assist with older children with disabilities. They just don't want to, as if these children don't matter. If you care about customers, you will earn money!
I’m not sure, but I would have thought it was because kids are potty training later now and they want to capitalise on it! I agree more needs to be done for the disability market, I just don’t know if that’s the reason diapers are getting bigger.

NappiedB said:
I’m not sure, but I would have thought it was because kids are potty training later now and they want to capitalise on it! I agree more needs to be done for the disability market, I just don’t know if that’s the reason diapers are getting bigger.
While Goodnites are marketed for night time, they're actually good for day time as well.
Sizes 7 and up, should not be targeted just for late potty trainee's. Diapers should just be diapers, and not to a specific area.

Last edited:
NappiedB said:
Oh wow, are they that big?
Growth charts list 60lb, the high number for 5t-6t weight range, on the 9th birthday at around the 50th percentile.

It is fun and informative to read about the variety out there. When I was growing up in the early '50s older children wore large size cloth toddler diapers. Playtex offered rubber and vinyl panties for older youths but they came in the same boxes as the ones for babys and were referred to as "baby pants" by mothers. Does anyone remember this exciting period?

NappiedB said:
The two groups are not mutually exclusive. For example, when I was growing up I had level two autism (I am now level one) and I was also dealing with the effects of a right hemisphere stroke at or near the time of birth. The stroke was a result of complications from a premature birth. I also have a very mild form of cerebral palsy and a slight curvature of my spine.

As a result of all of this I was toilet trained (very loosely speaking) when I started kindergarten just over a month before my sixth birthday. When I say say “loose speaking“ I mean that I would use the toilet if someone put me there or reminded me to go (e.g. if someone saw me doing a “potty dance” otherwise I would just go where I was without any real discomfort and with absolutely no embarrassment. By this point I was no longer in diapers during the day (aside from a few sick days at home here and there).

Only about six months earlier on a good day I was still not asking for a toilet if I needed to “go”, but I was able to answer yes or no questions about whether I needed to “go” if someone saw me doing what looked like a “potty dance“. If I did need to “go” I would generally say “yes” head to the toilet and use it. If didn’t need to use the toilet I would say “no” and go back to what I was doing before. If I didn’t want to use the toilet for any reason I would say nothing and simply stop doing the ”potty dance” and use my diaper (which was inside my underwear but not taped in place (this was back in the 1980s before pull-ups existed)) where I was. I only reached this toilet training level by age five-and-a-half when I was in preschool. I never lied about having to go (or not having to go) at that age because being as far along the autism spectrum as I am I didn’t understand the concept of lying until after age seven (when I was in first grade) after my parents explained it to me.

This only came up because one time not long after I turned seven my sister broke the cuckoo clock in the front hallway of the house that I grew up in while she was playing with it. Afterward she lied and said that I broke it. When my father asked me if broke it and I said “no” he asked me if my sister was lying about it. I asked him what that meant and (presumably) from my tone of voice and body language he could tell that I really didn’t understand the concept of lying. He then explained it to me. Later on after he ran around the block for a while to blow off some steam (as it were) he asked my mother if she ever remembered me lying about anything and she confirmed that she could not remember any examples.

From the age of four to at least the early fives (or sometimes a bit older) my mother would deal with any of my potty emergencies (e.g. on walks around the neighborhood or trips to some of the local parks) using either cueing noises or verbal permission. Whenever I did the “potty dance” or looked uncomfortable she would have me sit on her lap (sometimes with a diaper on, sometimes not) and wait for me to do what I needed to after giving either verbal permission or a cueing noise. After that I would usually have lunch, a snack, or even just some fruit juice to drink while sitting on her lap. At this stage I would sometimes use the toilet at home but I was really more “ECed” (where EC refers to elimination communication) than actually toilet trained.

At almost seven years old (just before starting first grade) I was socially far enough along to fairly consistently ask for the toilet when I needed it. I was still having accidents at this point but not as many. It would be another couple of years before accidents started to embarrass me. For me sensitive skin and occasional diaper rashes were my primary motivators for becoming toilet trained. At the most social considerations played a minor role in this process (if any) (at least early on).

The bottom line is that I was a late toilet trainer and it was caused by a combination of several disabilities.

I know a number of other people (about a half dozen) who were also late toilet trainers. Some started training as early as age four and others didn’t start training until as late as age eight. All but two of them were eventually diagnosed with some type of disability (including ADD or ADHD). I only know two people who might have trained late due to stubbornness (and only one of them seems to have a personality type that would seem consistent with that).

If more people with disabilities were accurately diagnosed in a timely fashion they would be more likely to receive any early interventions that they might need. In addition there would be more of a market for diapers for children with disabilities and diaper companies would then likely make a profit both from these products and from their more traditional products.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Hell2DaNaw and 12srepaid
AJFan2020 said:
The two groups are not mutually exclusive. For example, when I was growing up I had level two autism (I am now level one) and I was also dealing with the effects of a right hemisphere stroke at or near the time of birth. The stroke was a result of complications from a premature birth. I also have a very mild form of cerebral palsy and a slight curvature of my spine.

As a result of all of this I was toilet trained (very loosely speaking) when I started kindergarten just over a month before my sixth birthday. When I say say “loose speaking“ I mean that I would use the toilet if someone put me there or reminded me to go (e.g. if someone saw me doing a “potty dance” otherwise I would just go where I was without any real discomfort and with absolutely no embarrassment. By this point I was no longer in diapers during the day (aside from a few sick days at home here and there).

Only about six months earlier on a good day I was still not asking for a toilet if I needed to “go”, but I was able to answer yes or no questions about whether I needed to “go” if someone saw me doing what looked like a “potty dance“. If I did need to “go” I would generally say “yes” head to the toilet and use it. If didn’t need to use the toilet I would say “no” and go back to what I was doing before. If I didn’t want to use the toilet for any reason I would say nothing and simply stop doing the ”potty dance” and use my diaper (which was inside my underwear but not taped in place (this was back in the 1980s before pull-ups existed)) where I was. I only reached this toilet training level by age five-and-a-half when I was in preschool. I never lied about having to go (or not having to go) at that age because being as far along the autism spectrum as I am I didn’t understand the concept of lying until after age seven (when I was in first grade) after my parents explained it to me.

This only came up because one time not long after I turned seven my sister broke the cuckoo clock in the front hallway of the house that I grew up in while she was playing with it. Afterward she lied and said that I broke it. When my father asked me if broke it and I said “no” he asked me if my sister was lying about it. I asked him what that meant and (presumably) from my tone of voice and body language he could tell that I really didn’t understand the concept of lying. He then explained it to me. Later on after he ran around the block for a while to blow off some steam (as it were) he asked my mother if she ever remembered me lying about anything and she confirmed that she could not remember any examples.

From the age of four to at least the early fives (or sometimes a bit older) my mother would deal with any of my potty emergencies (e.g. on walks around the neighborhood or trips to some of the local parks) using either cueing noises or verbal permission. Whenever I did the “potty dance” or looked uncomfortable she would have me sit on her lap (sometimes with a diaper on, sometimes not) and wait for me to do what I needed to after giving either verbal permission or a cueing noise. After that I would usually have lunch, a snack, or even just some fruit juice to drink while sitting on her lap. At this stage I would sometimes use the toilet at home but I was really more “ECed” (where EC refers to elimination communication) than actually toilet trained.

At almost seven years old (just before starting first grade) I was socially far enough along to fairly consistently ask for the toilet when I needed it. I was still having accidents at this point but not as many. It would be another couple of years before accidents started to embarrass me. For me sensitive skin and occasional diaper rashes were my primary motivators for becoming toilet trained. At the most social considerations played a minor role in this process (if any) (at least early on).

The bottom line is that I was a late toilet trainer and it was caused by a combination of several disabilities.

I know a number of other people (about a half dozen) who were also late toilet trainers. Some started training as early as age four and others didn’t start training until as late as age eight. All but two of them were eventually diagnosed with some type of disability (including ADD or ADHD). I only know two people who might have trained late due to stubbornness (and only one of them seems to have a personality type that would seem consistent with that).

If more people with disabilities were accurately diagnosed in a timely fashion they would be more likely to receive any early interventions that they might need. In addition there would be more of a market for diapers for children with disabilities and diaper companies would then likely make a profit both from these products and from their more traditional products.
I despise when people say the youth disability market is too small as an excuse not to make bigger diapers. They need to take their sunglasses off.

12srepaid said:
I despise when people say the youth disability market is too small as an excuse not to make bigger diapers. They need to take their sunglasses off.
I don't know if manufacturers are saying that but they might just be thinking well there are goodnites and then youth / small adult products
what void would they fill with a new product?

Back