My roommate found my pacifier

stareegirl

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
My roommate came into my room apparently urgently needing glue which I'd misplaced. So I start digging around the room half asleep. My roommate goes into my nightstand thinking I might have thrown it in there. My reflexes are too slow to stop her she says "there's a pacifier in there" she looks alarmed, confused and like she doesn't want to go in there again. I grab the pacifier mumble some excuse, toss into a box and pretend everythings normal, she doesn't mention it again. I hide everything the best I can. And yes I found the glue.

I have a ton of little stuff it wouldn't take much digging around to find something. But before my roommate moved in out of sight was good enough. My roommate is unwell so she's still learning to control her temper and to respect other people's wishes and boundaries. This girl is my friend and she's trying but still.

I'm worried she's going to tear me down about this when she's angry I'm worried she's going to spread this around to other people and makes jokes about it. Yeah she has a history of that kinda thing.

I've looked into locks for this vary reason but the kind I need are expensive it is not in my budget.

Tell her you're trying it as a preventative for teeth grinding in your sleep. It is actually prescribed by Dentists for that problem {and it works for me-I no longer grind my teeth at night as long as I have my pacifier in}.

Reactions: Sheepies, ABdrew and SleepyBunny
I agree, go with Dentist prescribed. I have heard people also get proscribed pacifiers to stop snoring.

Teeth grinding, snoring, eating or smoking.
Take some advice from someone who married a person with "issues". Gently get her out of your life and find someone who is not like a grenade missing a pin. Her problems become your problems and you eventually get blamed for her issues.

Reactions: littlemoosey
Haha....I'd tell her I needed it at a rave. Whatever excuse, however. More to the point, I would not like a roommate going through my stuff without my permission. The only exception to that was my college roommate because we were an intimate couple.

ive always wondered why did that become a thing? I mean people wearing pacifiers to raves its kinda weird if you think about it

RetroGamerGuy said:
ive always wondered why did that become a thing? I mean people wearing pacifiers to raves its kinda weird if you think about it

Being friends with someone who use to attend raves, pacifiers were typically used at them to prevent the involuntary teeth grinding, chattering and tongue and cheek biting brought on by ecstasy and MDMA. While those drugs enhance the rave experience, the mouth activity they cause, especially MDMA, can lead to a very sore, cut up mouth and in rare cases broken teeth, so both pacifiers and mouth-guards were used, but pacifiers caught on more because they fit the general raver aesthetic :)

Circling back to the topic, I think the dentist answer would work out well enough, although I wouldn't feel pressured to say anything unless your roommate brings it up again ;)

Last edited:
It's scary, I know, but all I can say is be who you are. There's a risk MAYBE of losing a friend or two, but more people are very exceping and loving about it. If your pacifier makes you happy, tell her.

Reactions: nukpro88 and SleepyBunny
Maybe she wont bring it up at all? Most people dont fixate on stuff like this like we do and she could have very well forgotten. I wouldnt say anything unless she says something, that will just make it a bigger deal than it has to be. I once had someone I know accidently find a pack of Goodnights of mine when I could still wear them. He never said anything or acted any differently. Sometimes ignorance is bliss

TeddyBearGirl said:
Maybe she wont bring it up at all? Most people dont fixate on stuff like this like we do and she could have very well forgotten. I wouldnt say anything unless she says something, that will just make it a bigger deal than it has to be. I once had someone I know accidently find a pack of Goodnights of mine when I could still wear them. He never said anything or acted any differently. Sometimes ignorance is bliss

agreed

Back