Cooking

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
How often do you cook? (not counting using a microwave, rotating pizza oven, or George Forman Grill of Air Fryer)

How good are you at it?

How many things can you make?

Honestly I dont cook a lot, but every now and then I do, it is enjoyable and I'm not a bad cook in general (I would even say I make a few things really good)

But I definitely want to cook more and get better at cooking more things.

DanielW said:
I don't need to cook a lot (its just me that I have to cook for) when I do I enjoy it. My trouble is that the stuff I'd like to cook, or learn to cook, is usually too expensive to screw up. So I end up sticking to simpler stuff that I know how to do...and things that are inexpensive.

Yeah I definitely understand not wanting to waste good ingredients, especially when it is particularly expensive stuff.

You could always practice cooking cheaper stuff until you feel you can cook better (more expensive) things and not screw up.

I know not everyone is gonna be able to become a professional level chef; but people should be able to at least cook a few things.

One thing I used to be able to find that i liked was "Street Kitchen Meal Kits"

basically a small package of ingredients including dry ingredients, a sauce packet or 2, and a list of recommended extra ingredients as well as a recipe saying how you should cook the meal and it was available in a bunch of different varieties too

I mean they had ones meant for different types of meats (chicken, Pork, Beef, Fish, etc) , from all kinds of different countries (Japan, China, India, Malaysia, Morocco, Jamaica, Vietnam, Mexico, Thailand, and more) and different flavors in every variety of pack so you could probably find several you may end up liking

It really made cooking something new and different easy and pretty quick as well and it would make meals big enough for several people too and they didnt cost too much money.

I think they still make them but unfortunately some of the Walmarts near me have a record of no longer stocking stuff soon after I discover something new and different that I like

Yah I cook! If you want something done right, do it yourself! Made Corned Beef and Cabbage last weekend. But my fav is breakfast! Eggs, toast, homefries and BAAACCCON! Sorry, bacon is a intricate part of my being. It is right next to broccoli and Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia. 😊

Last edited:
Reactions: littledub1955
Yes I cook all the time.

I would suggest that you look at the foodie blog I started in lue of the old foodie group.

I love to cook. Ha Ha I also made corned beef and cabbage last week and home made cheese sticks. I love baking. I like to bake cakes and cookies from scratch. I made a chicken stew over the weekend that will prolly last about 4 days. with a pot of brown rice and vermicelli. I made some zeppoles, and fresh cinnamon sticks. So yes I love to cook. If you need recipes baby just give me a yell.

• Love
Evahasgone2 said:
I love to cook. Ha Ha I also made corned beef and cabbage last week and home made cheese sticks. I love baking. I like to bake cakes and cookies from scratch. I made a chicken stew over the weekend that will prolly last about 4 days. with a pot of brown rice and vermicelli. I made some zeppoles, and fresh cinnamon sticks. So yes I love to cook. If you need recipes baby just give me a yell.

I'm getting back into cooking with Indian sauces, rice, and maybe beans, much more nutrition there than what I usually eat which is a lot of Pizza, and for my work meals I usually eat Burgers, but without the bread for lower carbs.

Also gonna start to exercise a bit as well, especially with warmer weather on the way.

• Love
BabyTyrant said:
I'm getting back into cooking with Indian sauces, rice, and maybe beans, much more nutrition there than what I usually eat which is a lot of Pizza, and for my work meals I usually eat Burgers, but without the bread for lower carbs.

Also gonna start to exercise a bit as well, especially with warmer weather on the way.
I do have to say keeping in shape always brings out the best in me. Plus its nice to jog with a diaper on.

• Love
I cook breakfast every single day, and cook dinner about half the time. I don't consider myself a great cook, but then beggars can't be choosers, as they say. The family gotta eat! :) Breakfast is my favorite meal to cook and also my favorite meal to eat. I'm pretty good with all the usual breakfast fare. Also, lately, my wife has been going gluten-free, so I've played with modifying various things with flour substitutes and whatnot. It's tricky! Contrary to what the packages say, you can't usually just throw a gluten-free flour substitute into a recipe that expects flour and realize a good outcome.

Last edited:
I used to help my wife cook after she lost her leg, but by myself I'm really a bad cook. I may cook up something twice a week. I'm good at grilling and when summer finally gets here, or warmer weather, I'll be outside grilling for my dinners. Eating alone and depression really takes my appetite away and certainly the joy of cooking doesn't exist for me any more.

I would say I cook moderately well, and make the majority of the food i consume. My repertoire is certainly in need of expansion though. Eggs & home fries (with fresh onion, garlic, and Sapphyre's Secret Seasonings™ ^.^ ) are a staple breakfast. I make a pretty decent pot of chili, a chicken or hamburger stir-fry, chicken jjigae with kimchi and noodles, and of course it's easy to "supercharge" a bowl of ramen with lots of veggies, eggs, or added meats. Last night's dinner, in fact, was chicken ramen with added chicken stock (I needed extra broth due to all the ingredients), to which was added: actual chicken (white and dark meat), baby bok choy, broccoli, baby carrots quartered into strips, asparagus, and green onion. It was yummy. ^.^

I can grill a few things (in particular, I can do salmon teriyaki very well, with my own teriyaki marinade…), but have far less experience with that. I can also bake a few things consistently well… stuffed peppers, eggplant parmigiana… but I need to expand there as well.

I really need to learn how to cook Indian. o.o

I don't cook a whole lot, what with me still living at home and my mother doing most of the cooking...that being said, I do know how to cook from years of helping out in the kitchen. When I say my mother does the cooking, I mean that she directs every ingredient and does more complicated stuff and seasoning, while I get ordered around to gather ingredients, chop veggies and stir pots and pans.

When I cook for myself, I tend to stick to pasta dishes and salads - stuff that you can easily make for one person. But I have cooked for large-ish groups of people on occasion when I've hosted a party for my group of friends, and the dishes turned out pretty well if I do say so myself. I'll be moving out pretty soon, to another country no less, so that will be the real test for my cooking skills.

Since my mother holds reign over the pots and pans in the kitchen, I've shifted my focus more on the oven - my chocolate chip cookies are famed amongst my peers at university, and I love to experiment with different cupcake or yeast dough recipes. I'm itching to try my hands at a savoury pie recipe, but I do have to find an occasion where it will actually be eaten.

BabyTyrant said:
How often do you cook? (not counting using a microwave, rotating pizza oven, or George Forman Grill of Air Fryer)

How good are you at it?

How many things can you make?

Honestly I dont cook a lot, but every now and then I do, it is enjoyable and I'm not a bad cook in general (I would even say I make a few things really good)

But I definitely want to cook more and get better at cooking more things.
Every day. I'm a good cook too. Since I'm alone most of the day and well into the night I get to cook most of my meals wearing nothing but a diaper. Lucky me, huh.

I cook for myself every day. As a rule, I do not go out to eat, though there are occasional exceptions.

Nothing I make is very complicated, though. I use my slow cooker often, just dice some onions and throw some meat in there with some seasoning. Serve later with veggies and potatoes. It's nice to be able to do other things while the slow cooker cooks my food.

I do bake all my own cookies, cakes, breads, and pies though. There ain't a loaf of bread in the grocery store that tastes half as good as bread made from scratch.

• Love
Slow cookers are handy. My wife was the cook but now that she's gone, I've been using the crockpot. Tonight I had part of a pork loin done in the crock pot. I used some barbecue seasoning, apple slices and ginger ale. It was good. So was the beer and the creamed spinach that accompanied it.

• Love
I'm still in the learning stages of cooking and baking but according to my brother I cook some mean chicken fried rice and some mean cashew chicken

I want to try some stews in a slow cooker. Any suggestions?

I love cooking and will make a significant effort to do some delicious meals.

If you're looking to build your skills, I'd suggest getting some cookbooks that are for " regular people " (ie: not too advanced ). Jamie Oliver has a bunch that are great.

Also - when you're looking at cookbooks, look for ones that show you roughly how the different steps should look ( not just the final product !!)
This gives you a good indication if you're on track or not .... sometimes the descriptions can be a bit muddled, and the pictures of the steps provide clarification.

A great website
Seriouseats.com

A great cookbook if you're looking for the WHY behind the cooking : The Food Lab
( The author was a scientist before becoming a chef ...and his book details not only HOW to do the steps, but WHY you're doing the steps ... I'm from a science background and consider this my go-to cook book )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back