Is incontinence genetic or is it caused by an accident?

ChristianDiaperLover

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Little
I always wondered is incontinence genetic or only caused by accidents? My grandparents had incontinence and so I was wondering if I’ll end up becoming as well? My bladder is very sensitive and I usually have to pee a lot. More often than when I was a kid. Does that mean something? Any of you have advice?

Other way around, you see - many accidents are caused by incontinence 😋

Reactions: GoodnitesXL21, DiaperWolf69, Rezzu and 3 others
I think it can be both, but site rules giving out medical advice. In my case, there was no family history of for me, aside from a relative who died of Alzheimer’s. Mine is likely due to long term urinary retention due to a shy bladder.

Reactions: Jim100
Incontinence is a symptom, not a disease in itself, and has all kinds of different causes. Genetic factors may cause increased susceptibility to some of them, and it wouldn’t surprise me if “weak bladders” ran in families to some extent.

Reactions: FudgedInLuvs, ltaluv, Eclectic and 1 other person
ChocChip said:
Incontinence is a symptom, not a disease in itself, and has all kinds of different causes. Genetic factors may cause increased susceptibility to some of them, and it wouldn’t surprise me if “weak bladders” ran in families to some extent.
Yes I agree. But I don't think weak bladders lead to incontinence. My partner has a very small bladder - she is a small person. She needs to go often but never has any problems like incontinence.

IC comes from both family (ie in youre family ) or it can also come from certain NP Diagnosis (like in my case ) that increase the risks of become IC. It can also come from later from medical accidents. You can also become IC by for example diabetes etc.... not to mention side effect of certain meds.

Just because youre grandparents had it does not automatically make you getting it . However if any of youre parent had or having problems that is a risk .

So in short there are many risk factors to become IC but its not that you automatically get it.

If you starting have more then one accident / week over a extended time then you need to go see the doc and get checked up.

Reactions: Jim100 and ChristianDiaperLover
Adair37 said:
Yes I agree. But I don't think weak bladders lead to incontinence. My partner has a very small bladder - she is a small person. She needs to go often but never has any problems like incontinence.
Well, some people describe a “weak bladder” as having accidents, rather than just having to go often (though if you do have to go often, presumably you will wet yourself if unable to do so?)

ChocChip said:
Well, some people describe a “weak bladder” as having accidents, rather than just having to go often (though if you do have to go often, presumably you will wet yourself if unable to do so?) Maybe I should say small bladder. I suppose I think 'weak' because I can go for 12 hours without having to go and not be bothered.
No.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adair37 said:
Just be very uncomfortable. Besides someone in her position has made a point of visiting the loo as often as she needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my case it’s both. I was a bed wetter until about age 10 and then no problems until I had a cervical spinal injury when I began to experience urinary incontinence. Following that I had a seizure after which fecal and urinary IC became commonplace at about age 60.

My information on the subject is quite limited, but it is possible, that it could be either.

I once read, or heard somewhere, that bedwetting can be hereditary.

Sidewinder said:
My information on the subject is quite limited, but it is possible, that it could be either.

I once read, or heard somewhere, that bedwetting can be hereditary.

Genes an important factor in urinary incontinence​

Date:May 9, 2011Source:University of GothenburgSummary:Much of the risk of developing incontinence before middle age is determined by our genes. Genetic factors can explain half of people's susceptibility to urinary incontinence, a study of twins reveals.

Reactions: Furrytum and Sidewinder
Yes.

I suppose it could be either.
But the fact that it can be genetic makes me smile at the fury parents get into when their children fail to respond to Toilet Training.

ChristianDiaperLover said:
I always wondered is incontinence genetic or only caused by accidents? My grandparents had incontinence and so I was wondering if I’ll end up becoming as well? My bladder is very sensitive and I usually have to pee a lot. More often than when I was a kid. Does that mean something? Any of you have advice?
it can be both. males in my family have a high risk of being born with IC it tends to skip a generation sometimes, and the girls in the family tend to become IC later in their lives. we found that the IC in the male members of the family is a known genetic flaw that is hereditary where the muscles in the bladder and bowels don't absorb a specific protein that muscles use to get stronger. right now my grandfather, me and 5-8 of my nephews have it, the flaw seems to also have mutated because all my nieces have it too.

so yes to answer your question, IC can be genetic and yes it can be accident caused. and if you're family has a risk of having it, there can be mutations which can change the factors. also such mutations can be brought on by having a flaw in your X gene and your girlfriend/wife having a different but compatible flaw in their Y gene which results in a mutation within your children that can present a whole new equation. so i also recommend that if anyone is IC to get a test on both sides of the family to figure out the risks of a mutation in yourself and if you are a parent and you're worried because your child is having difficulty get yourselves tested for arrant genes that could cause a mutation resulting in IC for your children

ChristianDiaperLover said:
I always wondered is incontinence genetic or only caused by accidents?
Ah, the age old question of nature vs. nurture. About 50 years ago, much of science moved in the direction that diseases are usually both. For example, just because you have a gene that is involved in heart disease, doesn't mean you'll have heart disease, just that your odds are a little higher. Throw in a poor diet, no exercise, and smoking, well, you've just increase your odds beyond genetics.

As mentioned, incontinence is a symptom of many diseases, injuries and developmental defects. For example, women often suffer from stress incontinence from natural child birth, especially from having multiple children. But, that susceptibility might run in families. All the women in my family who've had children suffer from it.

Reactions: Jim100 and BobbiSueEllen
As far as I know neither of my parents who are passed their 70's have any IC issues, even at night. But then growing up I had nocturnal enuresis (aka bedwetting). I recall when I was 4 having plastic pants put back on me at night over my training underwear even though at age 2 - 3 I was potty trained and then had no issues for when I was 3 - 4. So between ages 4 - 12 I had accidents at night, sometimes many weeks with no accidents and sometimes nightly for a few months. My mother just told me that some boys just had this issue a bit longer than others and since I think my brother had this until he was about 7, I just assumed that was normal for me also as a boy in the family.

No one ever made a big deal about it but at age 8 after a year of being dry at night, I heavily wet my friend's bed at my first sleepover. It was significant enough that I had to wear a full diaper and pp at a later sleepover and though distraught at first, it showed me I could wear proper protection at night to wake up with dry sheets and pjs even though I had nocturnal enuresis. By age 10 it was slacking off and by age 12 my plastic mattress cover was gone along with any wettings at night.

Fast forward to age 18 and having secondary nocturnal enuresis return and I was back in diapers and pp as an acceptance I had to make for myself. The doctor I saw in college for basic health reasons thought it was always due to stress and being a deep sleeper. There was nothing ever medically found with me growing up though I was given an "anti bw" prescription but it gave me some side affects that had me off that medication very quickly and I readily accepted being back in nighttime protection. I wear training underwear and pp at night now as my own choice just because I have some slight wetting about 2 - 4 times per year so I just ensure my dryness every night even though I do not really need it. This is more my DL side telling me logically I should do this.

Is it "normal" for any adults who never had accidents much at night as a child to occasionally wet the bed maybe 1 per year or every other year as they get older? I always assumed everyone had accidents at night now & then, just some more than others.

I asked my doctor if there was any connection to boys that had enuresis up to age 12 to be fine as an adult but then maybe at middle age (50 or 60's?) they start wetting at night again like when they were an older boy. He said he knew of no studies that showed this but it still hovers in the back of my mind as being probable. As for genetics, this may be true for when my brother and I were young boys but does not appear to be something that arises even as we get older (at least as far as looking at my parents now).

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
There is also disease, diet, and medication to consider for incontinence .

To oversimplify things - I have a disease that is slowly degrading my nervous system .

• Wow
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
My incontinence is accidental, more like accidental medical mistake
Still angry at pain clinic for what they did to me

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: Ghg789987, JOCKMAN and BobbiSueEllen
Back