Is incontinence genetic or is it caused by an accident?

quarktheory

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
Other way around, you see - many accidents are caused by incontinence šŸ˜‹
I always wondered is incontinence genetic or only caused by accidents? My grandparents had incontinence and so I was wondering if Iā€™ll end up becoming as well? My bladder is very sensitive and I usually have to pee a lot. More often than when I was a kid. Does that mean something? Any of you have advice?
Iā€™m sure there are many different causes, mine was an auto accident and spinal cord damage

ST50

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I always wondered is incontinence genetic or only caused by accidents? My grandparents had incontinence and so I was wondering if Iā€™ll end up becoming as well? My bladder is very sensitive and I usually have to pee a lot. More often than when I was a kid. Does that mean something? Any of you have advice?
My Grandmother and my Mother were both incontinent in old age and I am incontinent now Diabetes has been the cause for al of us.

iam32bit

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I think there are hereditary factors at play. My mom, Aunt and Uncle all have OAB at the very least. All from the same set of parents. Each of us have completely different diets and lifestyles.

BundleOfJoy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
My OAB, Iā€™ve had my whole life but my dad told me about my uncle who used to work as a driving instructor and used to have to use empty water bottles since he always had to go. I guess itā€™s genetic.

ChocChip

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Brings to mind the old joke, ā€œIncontinence is hereditary... it runs in your jeansā€

(Only if you donā€™t wear a good nappy, of course...)

sport1

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I think my dad may have had trouble don't think my younger sister did.I have had trouble almost half of my life the last childhood accident was about 13yr then lucky to be dry for several yrs then in my 50'started all over again.