How many friends that know you're IC?

CptKirk said:
I'd "normally" agree with this 100% and actually this is how I lived my life up until, well, I couldn't....

So yeah...for me I learned it's better off being up front with people that matter to me and all medical professionals. This has saved me countless issues, embarrassing episodes and, VERY CONTRARY to my original fears, there hasn't been ANY negative social implications stemming from the issues I live with. While I am against "advertising" personal issues I am not a fan of going out of my way to try to hide them, either.
1687478709067.pngI'm being invited up to a remote cabin in August again with a few other guys. I have mixed feelings because I barely pulled off the secrecy last time (which is hard to do without a door on the outhouse, for example). My wife is encouraging me to go anyway and just own it if it comes up. I do want to go, so I might. But that level of openness with former coworkers represents a big step for me..

slimjiminy,
I'd follow your wife's and also CptKirks opinion - go for it! I'm quite sure nobody will blame you or give any negative feedback, I'd expect more a minimum neutral, mostly positive feedback that you can manage your condition in a good way (so good that no one ever remarked it before). I won't advertise it, but also not trying desperately to hide.
Not going there would mean that your IC prevents you from living your "normal" life, and that's something I would avoid like hell. Being IC shall never limit me to do things I'd like to to and which are possible to do!

Last year I went to a canoe tour with a few friends, me wearing my usual diaper under my shorts. Nobody knows about my continence issues, but I decided to join the trip, being prepared simply to explain my issues whenever the situation came up that I needed a change and it couldn't be done in privacy of a public restroom during the trip. This situation did not happen, so there was no reason for a "coming out" for me - but I would have done if there would have been a need to do and I would have done without any shame or embarrassment. It's simply a medical condition I have to manage and nothing else! I had similar thoughts than you before of that trip, but I decided not to let my IC prevent me from a nice trip with my friends - and my wife also encouraged me to go!

Reactions: CptKirk
Pretty much all my friends know I am and I have quite a lot.

• Love
Reactions: CptKirk, PaddedRita and Jim100
None

@slimjiminy - Go! That's easier said than done. A lot of angst and stress. Your wife (like mine), is your (my) support coach. If there is a person in your trip that you can trust, maybe, maybe, let them know you have medical issues which, can lead to awkward moments. They can help cover and lend support for you.

For now only my fiancé, ex-GF, and one friend knows. And all the doctors. I live far from my family so it has been easier to hide it than it would otherwise.

My friend found out because we were roommates at the time and he picked up a package of north shores along with his stuff. He opened it. When he gave it back to me he asked some questions. I told him the situation and he said “that sucks” and never mentioned it again or acted any different. He’s now one of my groomsman.

I’m also pretty sure my office knows as well. They have never said anything but there has been some things that lead me to believe they at least know something is different. But it’s a small law firm and everyone I work with is great so I’m not worried.

hbic60 said:
slimjiminy,
I'd follow your wife's and also CptKirks opinion - go for it! I'm quite sure nobody will blame you or give any negative feedback, I'd expect more a minimum neutral, mostly positive feedback that you can manage your condition in a good way (so good that no one ever remarked it before). I won't advertise it, but also not trying desperately to hide.
Not going there would mean that your IC prevents you from living your "normal" life, and that's something I would avoid like hell. Being IC shall never limit me to do things I'd like to to and which are possible to do!
Like I said, I've gone before and I've decided that I'll probably go. But one of the challenges was the food. BBQed items are often oily which gives me F-IC (as I found out then). So I may have to plan some more suitable meals.

Only two of my friends know that I wear diapers for incontinence

CrossfireDiaperHurricane said:
Aside my family I have several close friends that know I'm IC. And I actually have a colleague that knows. He had prostate surgery and he's also IC. I don't share this information unless it's really necessary. When I was younger in school there was almost everyone knew. It's kind of difficult to keep that kind of secret. One of my good friends has known since we were kids. And another after college suspected and finally asked me. Since he was a close friend I told him. He said he was glad that I trusted him. I think most IC people don't like telling anyone. Especially to casual friends. How many friends that know you're IC?
i don't hide the fact that i am incontinent or that i am in diapers mainly because i am very social and active love exploring the world especially what is in my own backyard so to speak. almost every weekend we are out and about doing something or traveling we are blessed with that ability. i am not in people's faces with but it does not scare me someone finding out. all my family and friends know. when you are traveling and sharing living quarters (cabins, rentals, RV, etc) not something one can hide. i don't shy away from the gym. Professional i prefer co-workers and employer not knowing mainly because a keep my professional career just that professional i don't socialize with those i work with unless it is a business dinner. i let people know on an as need bases such hotel staff and cruise lines when i am in need of assistance having diapers dropped shipped and housekeeping staff small stuff. over the years my wife has adjusted my shorts and/or shirt mostly my shirt in back with just and Oh Okay from me. people who would react with a negative comment aren't worth your time.

Reactions: incontinente, Jim100 and CptKirk
slimjiminy said:
View attachment 111812I'm being invited up to a remote cabin in August again with a few other guys. I have mixed feelings because I barely pulled off the secrecy last time (which is hard to do without a door on the outhouse, for example). My wife is encouraging me to go anyway and just own it if it comes up. I do want to go, so I might. But that level of openness with former coworkers represents a big step for me..
Can you buy a long shower curtain and just let your friends know you like a little privacy when doing your business?

I shared with my best friend, since childhood, recently about my incontinence and diapers. This was something difficult for me, as he can be judgemental and opinionated, but I gambled on the closeness of our friendship. We are going on a cruise with him and his gf, and decided I would tell him, as I would not be usung pools or hot tubs with them, and he is the type to think I am being standoffish. He accepted it and has given me his full support. I told him I had thought of cathing on the trip, and to my surprise he told me not to do that, diapers are the better option, and told me there are good products out there these days, (Which I already knew). No pushing me to take meds or any of that. I must say I was rather pleased and surprised, and I shed a lot of anxiety that evening. Only a couple other people know including my wife of course.

Joey

DiaperedJoey said:
Can you buy a long shower curtain and just let your friends know you like a little privacy when doing your business?

I shared with my best friend, since childhood, recently about my incontinence and diapers. This was something difficult for me, as he can be judgemental and opinionated, but I gambled on the closeness of our friendship. We are going on a cruise with him and his gf, and decided I would tell him, as I would not be usung pools or hot tubs with them, and he is the type to think I am being standoffish. He accepted it and has given me his full support. I told him I had thought of cathing on the trip, and to my surprise he told me not to do that, diapers are the better option, and told me there are good products out there these days, (Which I already knew). No pushing me to take meds or any of that. I must say I was rather pleased and surprised, and I shed a lot of anxiety that evening. Only a couple other people know including my wife of course.

Joey
True friends are FAR MORE VALUABLE than money!

CptKirk said:
True friends are FAR MORE VALUABLE than money!
I get by with a little help from my friends

Reactions: CptKirk and Jim100
newt said:
I get by with a little help from my friends
Good lyrics, great song!

fredy552 said:
My wife as of this moment in time knows I am Incontinent and wear 24/7. Our 40-year-old daughter may know do not know if the wife told her. I was recently talking and somehow the talk of incontinence came up and he said he used pads. (Not really a close friend just an acquaintance.)
My daughter asked what the large box was I said it was my supplies! She said what do you mean I said the other I mentioned I was incontinent and this box is my diapers for a month.

A majority if not all of my close circle. It's a non-issue and I don't flaunt it, but I also have no shame in my level of protection needs.

Reactions: incontinente and CptKirk
I don’t know if I replied to this one or not but I have two friends that know that I wear diapers for medical reasons

well, back in 90's I did try to hide it (Working) and wore as discrete as i could get away with, but most the people i worked with eventually knew, I did contract work world wide, I did have a full time assistant that came with me almost all the time, for legitimate working, I ran a 12 person crew for IT/Security systems for a few decades, and made bank, but paid for it dearly.

then friends mostly knew, now I usually in bed or in a wheelchair so that is not a big deal to worry about a little IC when you can only walk 100 feet or so on good days.

So, i'd say all my current friends know about it at this point and family for sure.

I don't hide it but equally I don't flaunt it. A few friends know as mention was made of my lack of toilet visits when enjoying a drink with them and I just told them. A lady in church was telling me her husband had passed away but he was forced to wear a catheter, I just raised my trouser leg slightly and there was my plastic leg bag and she smiled and said that I knew all about it. One of my adult daughters is aware but the other lives a long way away and I don't think she knows.

Most of my family know amd a fair amount of friends know i am in nappies. Never really had any bad experiences, but in the same breath, i choose carefully who i tell. I have had a couple people notice through the sands of time. 1 friends noticed when my nappy leaked and it wasnt until i started to smell that she said something. She then confessed that she regularly had wet patches in her knickers and sometimes wore pads when she was away from toilets so she was very understanding.

Reactions: Wetshisbed
slimjiminy said:
View attachment 111812I'm being invited up to a remote cabin in August again with a few other guys. I have mixed feelings because I barely pulled off the secrecy last time (which is hard to do without a door on the outhouse, for example). My wife is encouraging me to go anyway and just own it if it comes up. I do want to go, so I might. But that level of openness with former coworkers represents a big step for me..
@slimjiminy I missed out on just shy of a FULL YEAR of my life, HIDING! I failed to fish in the bass club tournaments where I was the President and Treasurer (*no one wanted to be Treasurer, so I kept that position as I had held it for over a decade anyway*) and I missed an entire season. I missed out on one of my ALL TIME favorite yearly events to boot! We had a 3 day, 2 night "event" on Lake Ontario on Catfish Creek, just south of Pulaski, NY, in the town of Mexico. This was a 2 day event on NY's "fish for free" weekend as otherwise many of the club members wouldn't go as an out of state fishing license for 3 days in NY costs far more than an entire year in Pa. I LOVED EVERY SECOND of these tournaments and did alright in them. The next year I DID GO and despite my headache so bad that I was throwing up off and on the entire first day, I won the 1st day, the guy who I was a rider with took 2nd. His name is Steve, and he's the downright BEST bass tournament fisherman I've ever had the honor to fish with for an entire season. I let my club normal club partner have use of my boat that entire season*** as I was in no condition to be "captain" so I arranged to fish with Steve as he had a BIG bass boat that I could easily lie down in/on when I needed to. The 2nd day haunts me as I was once again barely able to stand. I can NOT fish sitting! Anyway, I was on track to win both days but in my double vision state when I was culling out what was supposed to be a 13" smallmouth for a 21" PIG, I accidentally let an 18" one go! That cost me the victory that day, knocked me down to 4th place and out of the money by 1 ounce! I did win lunker though with that 21" 5.4lb behemoth. All year I was neck and neck with Steve. This is a guy who has won around $100k in his life, fishing mostly "local" tournaments. His career prevents him from being down south where the REAL MONEY is in bass fishing, but I suspect he'd do pretty good. He didn't have any high end electronics on his boat and we'd go to at least 1 new lake/year and he'd ALWAYS seemingly instinctively know where to go and only once did he not win that tourney though he did take 2nd and win lunker (biggest (weight) bass of the day) and man did I learn a LOT from him. He was a customer of mine forever and that's how I got him to join our private club. Well, at the end of the year Steve won over me by 3 ounces. He wanted to give me the award as he saw the big bass I accidentally culled as I couldn't see straight but I asked him to look at the weight total for the year and tell me what it said. it said he won. I had my best ever year fishing with him and even turned him onto my favorite place, the Susquehanna River. The ONLY tournament I insisted I have my boat back for was the river as I had 2 different outboards I used to be able to switch out in about an hour, by myself with no equipment as I could easily lift (and hold) the outboard up long enough to get a couple of bolts in. One is a 50HP prop outboards, the other a jet. Well, on the Susquehanna, you NEED a jet unless it's running high. We DOMINATED that day with me edging Steve by just under a pound and our total weights combined eclipsed the combined weight of 14 competitors out of the other 20 ! Only 5 limits were caught that day though we were culling within the 1st 90 minutes of the 8 hour event. Limit is 5, culling means you're weeding out smaller bass for bigger ones.

Not only did I mis out on all of that, I took a year off of coaching football and wrestling, yet still had to be there every single day as my son played and wrestled. I did wind up "assisting" with football but not in the same manner as I normally would. Wrestling I more or less hid in a corner. I did NOTHING for 11 months when I finally decided I was NOT going to allow something as minor as me peeing myself to prevent me from living my life!

IF you don't go on this trip, trust me, you're going to regret it for the rest of your life. Before too long, people are going to learn of your issues one way or the other. In 20 years, like me, you'll most likely be so used to them that it's second nature and you rarely think about this as an issue and all of your family and close friends will know of it anyway...AS WELL AS every medical professional you're under the care of.

A good friend of mine is who got me to see the light. He asked me if I would be as embarrassed and secretive if I had cancer, a brain tumor etc. That got me to realize that yes, I did have more issues than most, BUT U-IC was the only one that caused me zero pain (aside from being a pain in the ass at times LOL) and of all of the things affecting my life, that was by far the least significant. Thee are people out there in much more serious situations, medically speaking, who'd give everything they have to switch places with you. Life is life and it's not easy and is far more complex than any of us will ever fully grasp.

My advice is to LIVE! You don't get to go around the board again! this isn't Monopoly. It's Chess. When the game ends, the game ends. You HAVE TO savor every single minute you have as you never know when your last minute is going to arrive.

Like I said, if you'd like to talk, PM me.

CptKirk

Last edited:
Back