Diaper bulge.

greatlake5 said:
I do care. Maybe I'm only in my 30's but I still care. I might have accepted from my IC but I don't fly the "don't care about my diaper showing" flag. It's private and personal. Select friends know that I wear a diaper. They don't gossip. I'm glad that you're comfortable with others seeing your diaper out in public. Nothing wrong with that. But for me I prefer to be more discrete.
What people don’t know can’t hurt you so it’s never a bad idea to keep your choice in “underwear” unknown to anyone who doesn’t have a need to know. If you’re sure that they wouldn’t betray your trust and you’re close to them it might be worth considering, but most people aren’t going to notice if you’re showing a modicum of discretion and truly have no need to know about your personal issues. I have no idea if anyone that I’ve come into contact with knows that I wear diapers but I don’t think anyone does, or if they do they haven’t thought it necessary to bring it up in our conversations. Little kids are at the level where what they observe when they see an adult is right at diaper level and they haven’t developed any social filters regarding their speech yet so I’m waiting for that to happen someday in a checkout line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, sledder23, SoggyPanties and 2 others
I do not wear in an effort to define that I am wearing a diaper. Neither, do I hide in my house only going out when dressed like a snowman! The likelihood of anyone noticing that I am wearing, even during the heat of summer is unlikely! Point being, I do not spend my time in a stated of fear that everyone is watching my every move in an effort of determining whether I have a diaper on or not! Hence, my joking about the size of the frontal bulge is to expose the over-the-top fears of the World spending hours in search of any adult that could be wearing a diaper.

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, LordDuque, sissysissy and 9 others
greatlake5 said:
I think everyone who is IC understand that having a diaper bulge is sometimes obvious. What I'm saying is that I often experience flooding during the day. In fact I typically have a flash flood sometimes. Which at the point my diaper becomes more obvious. The diaper bulge can sometimes be difficult to hide. I usually change my wet diaper (Abena plastic backed) between 4 to 5 hours. But every once in a while I add a quality booster (Eternadry contour doubler) when I know I'll be unable to change. Like a longer shopping trip or simply away from home for an extended period of time. And when my diaper is fairly wet and later during the day I'll have a flash flood that makes my diaper swell to the point that my diaper becomes more obvious. I'm pretty good at hiding my diaper (darker baggy pants and shirt with a comfortable sport jacket). But when my diaper gets really soaked the bulge grows thicker. Especially with the booster. What are your tips to prevent others to see it? Of course I do have an emergency pack but I don't carry it around with me. Most of the time I stop the trip and simply go home. But when you can't, what do you do?
Afew weeks ago while i was wearing every day and night during an aftermath from a hospital appointment. I was wearing nappies under my clothes ( of course) I tried to hide it but The other day the secretary from the company next door to me approached me while i was working on somthing, ans said I hadn't seen you in nappies recently I could see them before and the outside pattern. , I said oh , ok , I assumed I was being discreet, wasn't expecting someone to actively looking at my ass. Anyway after that convo I started wearing different overalls which she approached again and said I can't see anything now. I said that's good. , then she laughed and she preferred the other way...

So you could try some overall type clothes which hide the bulge.

Reactions: Diprs2, Pino, SoggyPanties and 1 other person
mechanicX said:
So you could try some overall type clothes which hide the bulge.
I have an old pair of Oshkosh overalls that I've had since I was in college. Can't remember where I got them but I still wear them. Especially when I'm trying to clean up the beach (Lake Michigan - rough waves that covers the beach with debris).They are bigger to cover a fairly thick diaper.
Last summer me and my girlfriend has a pair and we both went to our farmer market wearing our overalls. She said they make us cute. I'm not sure about that but they certainly cover my diaper.

Reactions: Diprs2, diaperdude, SoggyPanties and 3 others
I've found elasticated waist trousers and shorts are great as they're not ludicrously baggy but there's more give for the added bulk than with a standard waistband. I've also had fewer issues with peekage as the pressure of a standard waistband means there's a definite leftover plastic bit at the top above the waistband.

In terms of the bulk specifically, I've recently taken to wearing some big boxer-briefs over the top, they're about a size too big but because they're bigger they can cover the entire nappy and if I do have peekage it's the waistband of the boxers rather than the nappy. There's also a bit of compression and noise elimination but not too much. Indeed, I'd stopped wearing underwear on top as wearing my normal size ones over the top resulted in too much compression and leaks.

Ultimately I take a belt and braces approach though as a t-shirt and jumper/hoodie covering the area basically means no one will see the area anyway. If I'm doing physio exercise (which is adaptive skateboarding of all things as ironically that's the easiest thing for me to go and do which says a lot about accessibility in London!) then I wear a popper vest so there's no way anything could be seen.

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and BigAl2
I wear mostly loose cargo shorts with a untucked shirt, I'm sure if someone knew what to look for they would notice it, but I've never had someone ask me are you wearing a diaper... not that I'd care.....

Reactions: Diprs2, sledder23, thedlguy and 1 other person
Jeans and untucked extra large shirts.

Reactions: Diprs2
I prefer to wear shorts, they are the most comfortable garments to cover my necessary nappy. I do love dungarees though, they appeal to my childish side and are also excellent at covering up a nappy of whatever bulk. I have reached an age when I can look a bit eccentric (I like the American ‘good old boy/redneck’ reference) but as I run a woodwork shop I make sure I have wood shavings on me and no one suspects my underwear or my need to wear what is now considered a juvenile garment. Whilst I am respectful of others and not showing my nappy, I do like to appease my inner child, discretely. If my shorts reveal a ‘diaper bulge’ then too bad, it still looks better than a wet spot/flood.

I wear either a Tena maxi, or Tena ultima Proskin during office hours, I use a Tena lady super as booster. This combo works very well, and I don’t have any obvious diaper bulge showing. It’s also very easy to swap out the small booster, as it fits in these small containers we have in our toilets for paper towels.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Pino
I tend to have a few size larger jeans, then put a pair of boxer briefs that help keep it compressed a little. I also do onesie to help as well, especially for bending over (I tend to do the preventawear ones since you can get them in bulk to save money and they tend to wear out less and are less heavy in the summer). I do sometimes have to push the diaper back a little before leaving restroom to force some of the bulk back especially if I’ve wet a bit.

Edgewater said:
I do not wear in an effort to define that I am wearing a diaper. Neither, do I hide in my house only going out when dressed like a snowman! The likelihood of anyone noticing that I am wearing, even during the heat of summer is unlikely! Point being, I do not spend my time in a stated of fear that everyone is watching my every move in an effort of determining whether I have a diaper on or not! Hence, my joking about the size of the frontal bulge is to expose the over-the-top fears of the World spending hours in search of any adult that could be wearing a diaper.
I hear what you’re saying and mostly agree but there’s an inherent difference between men and women in that a frontal bulge on a woman can be noticed easier and perceived as abnormal by other women (mostly) as well as men. I think women notice more than men and are more critical of other women’s appearance, generally. Also, (I really hate to say it) women are judged differently (much more critically) than men in their appearance in general as far as clothes they wear like fit, coordination, style, makeup, hair style, shapeliness (figure), certainly boobs and butt, etc, etc…. Being a co-owner of a larger business, there are certain expectations there too in my appearance (!!). It seems like the spotlight is always on me. I and others often say here that people really don’t notice a diaper under your clothes. If you’re a guy, that’s probably mostly true. If you’re an attractive female, the type that generally gets noticed, you’d best be on top of your game as far as concealing a diaper. My possible saving grace are my large boobs. I hate to say that too but if I am noticed, people’s eyes are more likely drawn to them rather than my diaper area.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: cantwait, LordDuque, sissysissy and 7 others
Ellyn said:
Also, (I really hate to say it) women are judged differently (much more critically) than men in their appearance in general as far as clothes they wear like fit, coordination, style, makeup, hair style, shapeliness (figure), certainly boobs and butt, etc, etc….
Very well put, Ellyn. I share your observations regarding that we as women are being judged differently than men, appearance being just one of them.

Reactions: Edgewater
I totally get this and can relate! I'm 24/7 in diapers, my go-to being a large MegaMax diaper with booster pad and plastic pants. Obviously as my diaper gets wet, it expands. I am lucky in that I can wear slightly oversized jeans, and untucked flannel or other button down shirt, which helps conceal said diaper bulge. When it's warmer, I can wear cargo shorts, also with either a button down untucked shirt, or I just wear Carhartt shirts, which run a bit larger and longer.... I also can't worry about it too much, too many more important things to worry about these days!

Reactions: ShinyMichael and Edgewater
Ellyn said:
I hear what you’re saying and mostly agree but there’s an inherent difference between men and women in that a frontal bulge on a woman can be noticed easier and perceived as abnormal by other women (mostly) as well as men. I think women notice more than men and are more critical of other women’s appearance, generally.
And if someone wears a fairly thin disposable, they're less likely to have to worry about bulge anyway, as long as they wear fairly loose clothing.

Reactions: Edgewater and SoggyPanties
greatlake5 said:
I have an old pair of Oshkosh overalls that I've had since I was in college. Can't remember where I got them but I still wear them. Especially when I'm trying to clean up the beach (Lake Michigan - rough waves that covers the beach with debris).They are bigger to cover a fairly thick diaper.
Last summer me and my girlfriend has a pair and we both went to our farmer market wearing our overalls. She said they make us cute. I'm not sure about that but they certainly cover my diaper.
Ah yes I wasn't sure what they where I gave them a Google yes that could work.

Reactions: Edgewater
Edgewater said:
I do not spend my time in a stated of fear that everyone is watching my every move in an effort of determining whether I have a diaper on or not!
You would think being IC since the beginning, I wouldn't be worried about my diaper bulge. And for the most part I don't. Of course people who are fairly new to IC, almost all of them try to hide their diaper. Especially when soaked or dirty. I'm no different. Most of the time I simply go around in my usual day. Even if I know that my diaper is wet. But when it becomes soaked and swelling, I start to worry. Especially when I'm unable to change.

Longtime IC people have become better at accepting their IC. Maybe I'm still fairly young (early 30's) but even though I have accepted my condition,
when I'm out in public, I still try to stay on the "down low." I admit that most people don't notice or care. I've only had a few comments. Most of the time it's easier to just ignore others who I don't even know. But there is still a risk of someone knowing. Whether it's small or even worth for thinking about it.
In the back of my mind I still think or know.

My friends (who don't know) don't look at me weird or funny. Of course some of them might suspect (like my girlfriend who figured it out). But like Edewater, I don't spend a lot of my time thinking about it. I don't think it's about fear. Too more important things to worry about. Still, sometimes I wonder. Have they seen my diaper bulge?

• Love
Reactions: sledder23, SoggyPanties, newt and 1 other person
greatlake5 said:
You would think being IC since the beginning, I wouldn't be worried about my diaper bulge. And for the most part I don't. Of course people who are fairly new to IC, almost all of them try to hide their diaper. Especially when soaked or dirty. I'm no different. Most of the time I simply go around in my usual day. Even if I know that my diaper is wet. But when it becomes soaked and swelling, I start to worry. Especially when I'm unable to change.

Longtime IC people have become better at accepting their IC. Maybe I'm still fairly young (early 30's) but even though I have accepted my condition,
when I'm out in public, I still try to stay on the "down low." I admit that most people don't notice or care. I've only had a few comments. Most of the time it's easier to just ignore others who I don't even know. But there is still a risk of someone knowing. Whether it's small or even worth for thinking about it.
In the back of my mind I still think or know.

My friends (who don't know) don't look at me weird or funny. Of course some of them might suspect (like my girlfriend who figured it out). But like Edewater, I don't spend a lot of my time thinking about it. I don't think it's about fear. Too more important things to worry about. Still, sometimes I wonder. Have they seen my diaper bulge?
Even with the best efforts of diaper section and clothing section at various angles or positions a diaper line will flash and be gone! As we know, the vast majority of folks are just too busy with their life to notice. Those that elected to scope us out, will at some point be rewarded for their efforts. Life is just way to short to be overly-concerned about it. We have all heard a juicy bit of gossip about someone and within moments the vast majority of us have forgotten about it, same thing here.

As greatlake5 has stated, the longer one wears diapers the less one places much thought to them, short of when one needs to change. It truly helps to be retired as one can build into near any given day scheduled changes that others cannot. I am currently trying out a diaper supplied by the US VA and I am a bit more concern than normal as I have little experience with this brand and as a result the trust factor is low. That is a point regarding being concerned about whether the diaper displays clear lines or just shifts into the background, i.e. "The Trust Factor!"

Long time diaper wearers have likely build a strong trust factor with what they are wearing and that results it easy one's Acceptance Regarding Wearing!!

Reactions: sledder23 and newt
Ellyn said:
I hear what you’re saying and mostly agree but there’s an inherent difference between men and women in that a frontal bulge on a woman can be noticed easier and perceived as abnormal by other women (mostly) as well as men. I think women notice more than men and are more critical of other women’s appearance, generally. Also, (I really hate to say it) women are judged differently (much more critically) than men in their appearance in general as far as clothes they wear like fit, coordination, style, makeup, hair style, shapeliness (figure), certainly boobs and butt, etc, etc…. Being a co-owner of a larger business, there are certain expectations there too in my appearance (!!). It seems like the spotlight is always on me. I and others often say here that people really don’t notice a diaper under your clothes. If you’re a guy, that’s probably mostly true. If you’re an attractive female, the type that generally gets noticed, you’d best be on top of your game as far as concealing a diaper. My possible saving grace are my large boobs. I hate to say that too but if I am noticed, people’s eyes are more likely drawn to them rather than my diaper area.
Well, if I am going to be corrected, Ellyn is best at it!

You are one hundred percent correct that the Ladies are clearly the most observant and viscous regarding reviewing each other. Panty lines being an excellent example with 'protection' lines a very near second. I am no expert in this discussion as I will be the first to omit that I have long been stopped at the door with that ice cold statement: You are not wearing that outside, are you???

• Love
Reactions: slimjiminy, Ellyn and SoggyPanties
This is a good topic. I wear fairly thin daytime diapers with a Gary active cover, and I’m completely comfortable as long as the diaper is dry. As the diaper gets wet, I’ll start to worry about leaks, the diaper not naturally moving with my body/clothing, and/or the bulge. Thankfully, the trend toward jeans with an untucked polo that covers my butt, has been my go-to for concealment. I blend in with the rest of the world and so far haven’t been asked if I was wearing a diaper. For the most part, if leaks do happen, or the bulge is noticeable to me, I can usually discreetly make it past a crowd and to a bathroom for a change without drawing attention to my condition.

I have grown very comfortable wearing diapers to manage my incontinence and am very glad that I have the product selection available today that has been engineered to be both discrete and functional for daytime use. At night, bulge is a reality because I wear heavy absorbency diapers. My wife will be the only one who ever notices though, and she doesn’t care as long as the diaper doesn’t leak.

Overall, bulging isn’t as much as a problem as it was back when the green Depends were one of few options. I wear diapers now like I did underwear 10 years ago…without much thought beyond exceeding capacity and being unable to change before leaks develop. Honestly, I don’t know I have one on until I feel wet and need a change. Couldn’t be happier with my choice in management.

Reactions: Harley07, joemama, SoggyPanties and 1 other person
Edgewater said:
Well, if I am going to be corrected, Ellyn is best at it!

You are one hundred percent correct that the Ladies are clearly the most observant and viscous regarding reviewing each other. Panty lines being an excellent example with 'protection' lines a very near second. I am no expert in this discussion as I will be the first to omit that I have long been stopped at the door with that ice cold statement: You are not wearing that outside, are you???

With @Ellyn's comment then men are equally subject to the scrutiny of women. :think:

Last edited:
Reactions: 247 and Edgewater
Back