Cause of incontinence

Soggy247 said:
I have a neurogenic bladder. My sphincter is jammed wide open so i am always leaking and gushing pee. I have a very sensitive bowel (due to ibs) and have little time to get to the toilet before its happening anyway.
Hi, do you know how that happened? The "jammed wide open" confuses me, what is with your prostate, or pelvic floor, no feeling /control there?
Do you leak permanently or does your bladder act in a reflex way?

Reactions: TeddyBunny and Diprs2
I was born with some issues within my reproduction and urinary system, although some of these defects weren't discovered until i was older. Ive always had bowel urgency issues all my life. Ive always had a weak bladder even when i was dry. (Was 1 of those guys who was always off for a pee somewhere) I was dry for many years (but not until late in my childhood) but with age, and prostate issues, my sphincter has become weak and now dosent work. This has been the case for the last 10 years. I often dribble and spurt into my nappy but if i have been sat and my urethra is kinked or there is pressure on my rear, i dont leak, but when i stand, its a reflex wetting. When i wet, its usually not massive amounts but yes, i suppose i would say its a mix of reflex/urge and stress incontinence.

Last edited:
Reactions: Constantlydamp, Lethdale, TeddyBunny and 3 others
I have EDS-h which has (according to my doctor) caused my incontinence. I also wonder if covid worsened my incontinence since my control really started to spiral after I got sick, but I think I’m just grasping at straws hoping for an answer. My doctor doesn’t think covid played a role in my issues, at least not issues so long lasting. I also have been diagnosed with OAB and mixed incontinence, as well as suspected IBS (this is a new discovery and I am working on a formal diagnosis).

Reactions: TeddyBunny, Diprs2 and Pino
Soggy247 said:
I was born with some issues within my reproduction and urinary system, although some of these defects weren't discovered until i was older. Ive always had bowel urgency issues all my life. Ive always had a weak bladder even when i was dry. (Was 1 of those guys who was always off for a pee somewhere) I was dry for many years (but not until late in my childhood) but with age, and prostate issues, my sphincter has become weak and now dosent work. This has been the case for the last 10 years. I often dribble and spurt into my nappy but if i have been sat and my urethra is kinked or there is pressure on my rear, i dont leak, but when i stand, its a reflex wetting. When i wet, its usually not massive amounts but yes, i suppose i would say its a mix of reflex/urge and stress incontinence.
I also have sphincter problems and can't always control it.

Reactions: Constantlydamp, TeddyBunny, Diprs2 and 1 other person
sport1 said:
I also have sphincter problems and can't always control it.
Yeah, ive stopped even worrying about it now and just rely on my protection. Life is so much less stressful now than it was 10 years ago.

Reactions: Constantlydamp, Lethdale, TeddyBunny and 1 other person
I think mine is age and prostrate related. I'll be 40+20 this year.( I'm in denial to my age) I have been ABDL all my life so I find it very strangely odd now that I'm experiencing urge incontinence more and more often and loose control. I'm becoming increasingly nervous bladder wise to go out without wearing protection of nappy and pvc pants. Driving is worse, and I now have to commute long distances every month. It's so unpredictable how long it is before my ladder let's go.
My wife hates my ABDL side and I can't tell her about my uic.
I'm not bothered about going out and about padded, I really don't care much anymore for what other people think. I'm discreet and dressed and most people have no clue what's under my clothes. If they do notice and stare, so what. Better than having a visible mishap.

Reactions: Lethdale and TeddyBunny
BlueRabbit said:
I think mine is age and prostrate related. I'll be 40+20 this year.( I'm in denial to my age) I have been ABDL all my life so I find it very strangely odd now that I'm experiencing urge incontinence more and more often and loose control. I'm becoming increasingly nervous bladder wise to go out without wearing protection of nappy and pvc pants. Driving is worse, and I now have to commute long distances every month. It's so unpredictable how long it is before my ladder let's go.
My wife hates my ABDL side and I can't tell her about my uic.
I'm not bothered about going out and about padded, I really don't care much anymore for what other people think. I'm discreet and dressed and most people have no clue what's under my clothes. If they do notice and stare, so what. Better than having a visible mishap.
Please think about making an appointment to see your Doc and asking for a referral for a flow test and post void residual ultrasound scan (both are non-invasive and so shouldn't cost too much). You may be suffering from urinary retention (as I do) and what you're experiencing is "overflow" urges/incontinence due to having a permanently full bladder. Chronic Urinary Retention is a common sympton of benign prostate enlargement/hyperplasia and carrys health risks - a particularly nasty one being reflux to the kidneys that can lead to kidney function impairment.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeddyBunny
My incontinent started after my brain surgery, I’m okay in the day, but wet at night. Occasionally have daytime accidents.

Reactions: Dry247 and sport1
UKWearer said:
Please think about making an appointment to see your Doc and asking for a referral for a flow test and post void residual ultrasound scan (both are non-invasive and so shouldn't cost too much). You may be suffering from urinary retention (as I do) and what you're experiencing is "overflow" urges/incontinence due to having a permanently full bladder. Chronic Urinary Retention is a common sympton of benign prostate enlargement/hyperplasia and carrys health risks - a particularly nasty one being reflux to the kidneys that can lead to kidney function impairment.
Thank you. I had not thought about retention. Very interesting. I have been ignoring the smaller symptoms over the last five or six years. Back then I was admitted as an emergency case to the local hospital acute assessment unit with a blader - kidney infection that had progressed to Sepsis. It was very close call with the dreaded " Grim Reaper " . Amazing care and patience by NHS staff who brought me back. During a ward round while I was lucid one of the consultants examined and checked me (!) and was concerned about the abnormal size of my prostate then. Nothing was followed up though. Your description all adds up with my ongoing symptoms. I'll start to take action myself. Good call. Thank you

Reactions: UKWearer
Mine started as bedwetting about 30 years ago after a hip injury and really bad bladder infection. I was on antibiotics for about 2 months. Hip injury was not properly treated as I came from a super low income family and since it wasn't broken it didn't need fixed. Mom didn't feel I needed to see the recommended orthopedic doctor and I didn't have the money or health insurance either.

After about a month of bedwetting we reported it to my family doctor and was told I would grow out of it. Day time accidents started about 3 or 4 years after the bedwetting started and both were sporadic at that time.

Multiple urologist visits as an adult and I was told the same. We don't know the cause but we have an idea. Something along the lines of a malfunctioning sphincter caused by neurogenic issues or nerve damage. Proper diagnosis? Unspecified urinary incontinence, according to my medical records. I'm constantly diapered and leak at random. No urge at all.

However, for the past 3 years I have been having bowel accidents mostly when sleeping. Current doc thinks it's all tied to either the bladder infection or hip injury.

She's aware of diapered state and actually supports my methods as it keeps me productive. Surgical options would be extremely costly and wouldn't guarantee it would work. I've been on so many medications and most have had some horrible side effects. The most common was urinary retention which ended up causing me to self-cath multiple times a day for a out a week until the med was out of my system.

I am still trying things to see if it improves. Most recently I've been trying to lose weight as we all know excessive weight can aggravate incontinence issues. During my yearly physical last October I weighed in at 312 pounds. After making some changes in my diet and other life choices as of March 20th I am down 60 pounds and currently weigh 252 pounds. This hasn't changed any of my incontinence issues but has drastically reduced my A1C from a prediabetic level to normal levels and even reduced my blood pressure to a point where she is about to pull me off of my Lisinopril. Honestly I don't see a difference but my wife and others say they can. Idk I guess my image of myself is different that others. I do feel a difference though. I'm more mobile, back pain isn't near as bad as it was and other than the age acquired achy joints; knees, hips, shoulders etc I feel normal. Some of those aches a probably caused by my career choice, fire and EMS isn't kind to our bodies though.

My last appointment we revisited possible options to try and fix my incontinence problems, my choice not hers. As before any surgical options would very pricey even with health insurance and wouldn't guarantee a fix. We both decided no medications as we couldn't find one I haven't tried but she even mentioned something I never really considered. She said that since my body hasn't been "holding it" my subconscious would have to be retrained to hold it and use a actual toilet. In layman's terms, I would have to re-potty train myself. That would be interesting, trying to potty train a 44 year old. I mean it didn't change anything really. I'm still a diaperedEMT and can still run a code like a boss.

Nothing dramatic on my end. :3

I have had issues with OAB for years that's gotten worse as time goes on. It got to the point around Nov/Dec last year that I was having bad urges and mild pain/discomfort within an hour of my last bathroom trip. By the end of December and first few weeks of January I noticed I wasn't making it half the time. So I went from occasionally diapered just at home to diapering up everyday to save my clothes from disaster. It wasn't easy to deal with emotionally but its been around 3 and a half months or so of daytime wear and it doesn't bother me as much anymore emotionally. I've gotten used to dealing with the urge UIC and managing well. I've recently started changing in public now that I'm actually making trips long enough to warrant a change and that has been highly stressful.

I currently don't know the cause of the urge UIC, I just know its linked to the OAB problems. I haven't managed to go in depth with my doctor yet BUT I am working on that part. I am just coasting and managing the best I can to try and make sure things don't worsen. Luckily for me its just daytime problems and not night time.

Reactions: sport1
LittleNomster said:
Nothing dramatic on my end. :3

I have had issues with OAB for years that's gotten worse as time goes on. It got to the point around Nov/Dec last year that I was having bad urges and mild pain/discomfort within an hour of my last bathroom trip. By the end of December and first few weeks of January I noticed I wasn't making it half the time. So I went from occasionally diapered just at home to diapering up everyday to save my clothes from disaster. It wasn't easy to deal with emotionally but its been around 3 and a half months or so of daytime wear and it doesn't bother me as much anymore emotionally. I've gotten used to dealing with the urge UIC and managing well. I've recently started changing in public now that I'm actually making trips long enough to warrant a change and that has been highly stressful.

I currently don't know the cause of the urge UIC, I just know its linked to the OAB problems. I haven't managed to go in depth with my doctor yet BUT I am working on that part. I am just coasting and managing the best I can to try and make sure things don't worsen. Luckily for me its just daytime problems and not night time.
That is how mine works no control.

mostly for me, it is due to meds, but to be honest, I was a DL long before the situation. I’ve always been visually impaired and always thought that Diapers was just easier. At the age of 37 I had eye surgery, which saved my vision, but left me with glaucoma. now I am on cosopt for the rest of my life and so far it has been like nine years the long-term effects of this eyedrop are less ability to retain urine so I guess this tells me why in the past few years I have been noticing more accidents, basically situations where I have to knowingly use my diaper because there’s no way I’m gonna be able to hold it. when you combine this with having type two diabetes and getting diagnosed a few years later and now one of your pills is Jardines, which makes you piss like crazy. It turns out to be a great combination for actually needing to rely on Diapers 24/7. One of the other drugs, I am also on for diabetes is Ozempic, and I noticed that I am more likely to have a bowel accident within a few days of my weekly. as far as being in Diapers 24/7, my transition into this was a lot easier than most people and I feel as though I am pretty lucky as far as that is concerned. A lot of the stories I’ve read on here, my need for Diapers could be for a lot, worse situations. Yes it sucks that I can barely see now and I had to give up some of the things that I like to do, but I found other way to still have fun and Diapers allow me the confidence and freedom to go out and still do things like go to concerts and do my part-time job .

Reactions: slimjiminy and Lethdale
nikthewerelion said:
mostly for me, it is due to meds, but to be honest, I was a DL long before the situation. I’ve always been visually impaired and always thought that Diapers was just easier. At the age of 37 I had eye surgery, which saved my vision, but left me with glaucoma. now I am on cosopt for the rest of my life and so far it has been like nine years the long-term effects of this eyedrop are less ability to retain urine so I guess this tells me why in the past few years I have been noticing more accidents, basically situations where I have to knowingly use my diaper because there’s no way I’m gonna be able to hold it. when you combine this with having type two diabetes and getting diagnosed a few years later and now one of your pills is Jardines, which makes you piss like crazy. It turns out to be a great combination for actually needing to rely on Diapers 24/7. One of the other drugs, I am also on for diabetes is Ozempic, and I noticed that I am more likely to have a bowel accident within a few days of my weekly. as far as being in Diapers 24/7, my transition into this was a lot easier than most people and I feel as though I am pretty lucky as far as that is concerned. A lot of the stories I’ve read on here, my need for Diapers could be for a lot, worse situations. Yes it sucks that I can barely see now and I had to give up some of the things that I like to do, but I found other way to still have fun and Diapers allow me the confidence and freedom to go out and still do things like go to concerts and do my part-time job .
Thank you for sharing. I am receiving eye injections to keep the swelling of my retina to a minimum but glaucoma is also a long term concern.

slimjiminy said:
Thank you for sharing. I am receiving eye injections to keep the swelling of my retina to a minimum but glaucoma is also a long term concern.

wow, that sounds painful, Lucky for me I’m still just doing the eyedrop’s but who knows what will happen in 10 or 15 years for me. It’s not like the eyedrop I take are the outright definite cause of my bladder issues but they are definitely a contributing factor I think. Since the bladder retention issue is listed among the possible long-term side effects. when you combine this with the fact that I was already in Diapers and not really using my bladder that much anyways then it means it will be weaker in general so when you add the eyedrop’s and the jardiance combined with my horrible vision and slow mobility. It just means that Diapers are a better way of managing my situation. when I say that my vision is really bad I mean that I have very little vision in the only eye that I can see out of. What I do have is not clear so recognizing what I’m looking at, takes longer and reading signs and things is impossible. And since I have a white cane, it means just getting around is slower in general. So I would say that I am in the functional incontinence category. It’s just that it’s taking me a few years to actually realize this. I also took a big step yesterday in finally throwing out my boxer shorts after probably about four years of realizing, I hadn’t really needed to use those in a while. so yes, diapers are my new underwear

nikthewerelion said:
wow, that sounds painful, Lucky for me I’m still just doing the eyedrop’s but who knows what will happen in 10 or 15 years for me.
I don't particularly like the needles but it has allowed my retinas to heal sufficiently enough to keep my driver's licence. Otherwise, what would happen is that the retina would "thicken" and bleed. When the retina "thickens" from diabetes, then no matter how much eyeglass lens correction you apply, you can't sharpen the focus. Reading my pill bottles is impossible for me.
nikthewerelion said:
when I say that my vision is really bad I mean that I have very little vision in the only eye that I can see out of. What I do have is not clear so recognizing what I’m looking at, takes longer and reading signs and things is impossible.
This is probably why your existing vision is blurry and likely beyond help at this stage. The medication I get is Eylea:
Eylea is the brand name for the drug, which is called aflibercept. It blocks the growth and leaking of fluid from abnormal blood vessels in the back of the eye. Those blood vessels can leak and affect vision, causing vision loss from wet AMD and diabetic eye disease.
I've also had the Argon laser treatment, which is painful. The laser burns blood vessels in the back of the eye. This is done to both cauterize the leaky blood vessels and to allow the body to heal them so that they stop bleeding. I had to resort to cannabis gummies to get through those particular appointments. I otherwise don't use.

Our cause of incontinece is linked to having sex at a very young age. As well as damage to muscles by having very large things like rolling pins for example inside us.

Myself I was attacked and left with internal damages ... still working on getting them fixed

slimjiminy said:
I don't particularly like the needles but it has allowed my retinas to heal sufficiently enough to keep my driver's licence. Otherwise, what would happen is that the retina would "thicken" and bleed. When the retina "thickens" from diabetes, then no matter how much eyeglass lens correction you apply, you can't sharpen the focus. Reading my pill bottles is impossible for me.

This is probably why your existing vision is blurry and likely beyond help at this stage. The medication I get is Eylea:

I've also had the Argon laser treatment, which is painful. The laser burns blood vessels in the back of the eye. This is done to both cauterize the leaky blood vessels and to allow the body to heal them so that they stop bleeding. I had to resort to cannabis gummies to get through those particular appointments. I otherwise don't use.

wow, yeah, my vision has just been bad my whole life, mostly from being born premature and then having retina detachment surgery at 37. I’m just at the very beginning stages of diabetes and control my A1c through meds. but between the meds and my really shitty vision, it is why I prefer to be in Diapers on a 24/7 basis. I am sure my incontinence will get worse as time goes on especially since I will be on cosopt for the rest of my life and also the diabetes meds. I hope to never get to the point where the diabetes gets so bad that it affects my eyes like that. And I don’t think I’ll ever get to the point where I need insulin but who knows I’m sure a lot of people say that and then bang one day they’re just completely fucked in their life changes. at least for right now. It’s an OK situation for me meds wise and I would rather just be in Diapers all the time starting now rather than having to deal with fighting that when it’s worth 10 to 15 years down the road. My visions bad enough where I can’t really afford to be timing things out and fight the game of finding a bathroom in time. So Diapers is the way is gonna be for me and that’s fine.

Reactions: sport1
Doctors said I have IBS, and dual urge incontince, after testing they could determine why, now back in diapers

Back