Cause of incontinence

sport1 said:
My incontinence came on slowly in my 50's 1st urine the bowel.
Mine started in y late 40s, fortunately I haven't lost control
of my bowels. My urinary incontinence just got steadily worse and by my 50th birthday I was in nappies all the time.

Reactions: TeddyBunny, Diprs2 and Constantlydamp
pjdjs said:
I wear nappies all the time, it’s awful rukes
My life, always worrying about people finding out
I gave up worry I g what others think years ago.

Reactions: TeddyBunny and Diprs2
slimjiminy said:
How I found out in my mid 40s, was that I developed this insatiable thirst for grapefruit juice (it was summer). After a few weeks of that, I thought to myself, this is crazy. How many ppl love grapefruit juice that much?!?! So I went to the clinic to be tested and the doc said I was wasting his time -- until he read the results. He apologized three times before I left. I'm on insulin and Janumet 20+ years later.

Get your eyes checked if you've not already. There is a serious chance of blindness with prolonged high glucose levels. I am currently fighting that and more.
Yes I know all about eyes and diabetes. I get mine screened regularly.

Phoenix0 said:
I have been incontinent for around 6 years now, because of an operation when i was 16. I was having a kidney stone removed, the doctor made a mistake and rendered me urinally IC. As for how i became fecally IC, i have no idea. I just noticed one day that i couldn‘t control my poops anymore 🤷
What about you guys?
Always been a bed wetter with OAB. Daytime urge urinary incontinence set in a few years back (mid 40’s) and was the primary symptom of type 2 diabetes. Not sure how long type 2 has been with me, but I’m managing glucose levels pretty strictly and with diet and exercise currently have healthy to prediabetic glucose levels. The incontinence hasn’t responded to the glucose management, but I feel much better with levels being in check. Incontinence set in pretty quick. I can remember the day I couldn’t hold it back and started regularly peeing my pants. That week I knew I’d have to start wearing diapers until the cause was found. Once it was discovered that my blood sugar was high, I had an immediate lifestyle change to combat and reverse the disease as best I could. The incontinence was the only dead giveaway at the time, but after lifestyle changes I realized fatigue and slight tingling in my feet were also symptoms.

I’m ok with diapers now. They’re just my underwear that keep me dry. Hardly notice I’ve got one on until it’s time for a change. I like that I don’t have side effects with diapers and that they allow for an active lifestyle.

Reactions: TeddyBunny, Diprs2 and Lethdale
LupintheWolf said:
the doctors here in south Carolina did find one thing the docs in NJ didn't even find that the slipped discs are not the cause of my incontinence but it isn't helping the issue the docs down here found that the cause of my incontinence may very well be psychological due to PTSD
in hindsight i kind of wonder if the jersey doctors were just trying to make shit up to milk more money out of my wallet

sledder23 said:
... Daytime urge urinary incontinence set in a few years back (mid 40’s) and was the primary symptom of type 2 diabetes. Not sure how long type 2 has been with me, but I’m managing glucose levels pretty strictly and with diet and exercise currently have healthy to prediabetic glucose levels. ... The incontinence was the only dead giveaway at the time, but after lifestyle changes I realized fatigue and slight tingling in my feet were also symptoms.
Do have your eyes checked with those photo-imaging tests. If diabetes caused nerve damage for IC and your feet are affected, then your eyes may be affected also. Long term diabetic effects include blindness and loss of your driver's license.

Reactions: TeddyBunny, Diprs2, sport1 and 2 others
I’m in the early phases of diabetic bladder dysfunction. Hence the urge incontinence. To your point, I’ve had my eyes checked and so far checking out good. The tingling in my feet resolved with strict glucose control over the course of 6 months. Thankfully I caught the disease early. Hopefully I can limit progression over the next couple decades.

Babybub said:
I have PMI, sensory urgency incontinence and retention. Along with BPH. I have had PMI for many years and was only diagnosed when I went to see my Urologist around 18-months ago. Sensory urgency and retention was diagnosed late last year. I am currently having issue walking on my left side and have to have a lumber puncture along with more test this coming week. There appears yo be an issue with my central nervous system. Doctors think MS. I have 5-days of steroid injection this week as well. So my incontinence is likely neurological related. Will hopefully know more after this week.
Will I go into hospital tomorrow. I asked the doctor if the hospital will supply pull ups while I am there. They advised they will. This will be my first time in s hospital in pull ups.

Reactions: TeddyBunny
Hi my incontinent started when I was 58 after operation manly pee but last 7 mths started to have poop problems as well waiting
for hospital appointment to see what going on, in diapers all ready so not a problem but wife not to happy about me pooping in my sleep, has any body else had this problem.

paul484819 said:
Hi my incontinent started when I was 58 after operation manly pee but last 7 mths started to have poop problems as well waiting
for hospital appointment to see what going on, in diapers all ready so not a problem but wife not to happy about me pooping in my sleep, has any body else had this problem.
I have bladder and bowel incontinence for about 7 years now due to a ruptured disc in my lower back. It started as intermittent bladder issues and after a while it became bowel incontinence as well . I have been diapered 24/7 for about 5 years now and frequently wake up either wetting or messing my diaper. I do have both accidents as well when sleeping an wake up wet and messy on a regular basis.

Reactions: TeddyBunny and paul484819
sledder23 said:
I’m in the early phases of diabetic bladder dysfunction. Hence the urge incontinence. To your point, I’ve had my eyes checked and so far checking out good. The tingling in my feet resolved with strict glucose control over the course of 6 months. Thankfully I caught the disease early. Hopefully I can limit progression over the next couple decades.
If I hadn't started wetting the bed again I would not have found out I was diabetic.

Tundra1975 said:
I have bladder and bowel incontinence for about 7 years now due to a ruptured disc in my lower back. It started as intermittent bladder issues and after a while it became bowel incontinence as well . I have been diapered 24/7 for about 5 years now and frequently wake up either wetting or messing my diaper. I do have both accidents as well when sleeping an wake up wet and messy on a regular basis.
Thanks gives some ideas of what to ask the doctors about, all so suffering lower back pain as well which may be part of the problems.
so thanks again for your reply.

Phoenix0 said:
I have been incontinent for around 6 years now, because of an operation when i was 16. I was having a kidney stone removed, the doctor made a mistake and rendered me urinally IC. As for how i became fecally IC, i have no idea. I just noticed one day that i couldn‘t control my poops anymore 🤷
What about you guys?
Severe internal damage from endometriosis and kidney stones. It was awful going through that but luckily since I was already a little, I had diapers on hand and have been wearing frequently since.

Reactions: TeddyBunny, paul484819 and sport1
So uhh....I was browsing this thread just to learn from people's personal experiences and, well

I'm starting to think that I've been in denial for years and I should probably see a doctor.

Thank you for that.

for me its was due to a bladder problem when i was born. it really didn't show up until i was being potty trained when i was 4. they took me to the doctor for tests. at that time there was nothing that could be done. they told my parent to work on having me pee in the toilet but to try to stop when i was. lol exercise . you could not go to kindergarten if you were still in diapers. so by the time it was time to start school i had fair control just some leaking. i wore what today we call trainer, but i was still wetting the bed every night. i never outgrew the bed wetting and at one point i just gave in to the day time life was much easier.

Taking venlafaxine for 35 years, I've been IC for the last 20 or so. Just one of those side effects.

Reactions: TeddyBunny and sport1
chronic BPH combined with chronic Afib. CPAP wearer. Prior to getting CPAP seemed like I wet all the time. Then I started having TIA mini strokes.
I bet I have tried just about every reusable brief made. Best I have found is tranquility atn with gary pul overpants. Bed pads and pants lose their effectiveness after many washings.
My pin on diapers --the pins have made hole in the cloth from so many washings.

Last edited:
Over the last year my hormones have totally gone wonky with ovarian cysts. I've had them for years, but my symptoms have worsened. Due to low estrogen I will gush or leak urine if I laugh particularly hard or sneeze. It doesn't happen during the day much (yet) but my symptoms tend to pop up more at night and my partner has me belly laughing. I damn near voided my entire bladder tonight with him showing me videos we were laughing about. It's a good thing I was diapered - sometimes I'm not, and a wardrobe change is in order. It's very inconvenient.

I have a neurogenic bladder. My sphincter is jammed wide open so i am always leaking and gushing pee. I have a very sensitive bowel (due to ibs) and have little time to get to the toilet before its happening anyway.

Mine was related to paralysis from hemiplegic migraines. I kept paralyzing in muscles including smooth muscles internally and nerves would be affected.

Back