Cause of incontinence

The cause of my IC is irrelevant. I will say that I focus to manage the symptoms. I have severe urgency, both urinary and bowel. About half of my bowel accidents happen while I'm sleeping and I never feel it. I can have BM accidents through out the day but mostly they happen in the morning. Wetting happens through out the day and night.

Managing the symptoms include quality diapers, boosters, plastic pants and compression/fixation pants. I've been using internal deodorant pills (chlorophyll copper) to reduce odor. I always take care of my skin (hate diaper rash).

I've been IC since the beginning. It's a regular thing for me and I quickly became an expert on how to manage it (with my mom and my doctor). I'm blessed with a great family (unique, dynamic and loving), very good close friends and of course a couple of good doctors. Like any IC person, it's extremely challenging but it can be managing.

Reactions: TeddyBunny, Edgewater and Diprs2
Car accident for me. Got hit, broke both legs so I couldn't even walk for about 6 months. Full time diapers for me. After a year or maybe two years I just gotta wear one in the evening. I still wet the bed pretty much every night.

For longer adventures, trips, etc. then I'll wear for that too if it's a situation I can't get to a restroom in a short time and not mentally trip out 🙃

My close friends know and I have fun with it now and don't get nervous or tense about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeddyBunny and Diprs2
Phoenix0 said:
I have been incontinent for around 6 years now, because of an operation when i was 16. I was having a kidney stone removed, the doctor made a mistake and rendered me urinally IC. As for how i became fecally IC, i have no idea. I just noticed one day that i couldn‘t control my poops anymore 🤷
What about you guys?
Really sorry to hear this mate, glad you were able to get a settlement.

My bladder issues started when I was about your age, due to chronic illness.
At first I thought it was a functional issue, as it left me bedbound for a year, and I had to resit a year of school.
Even though I recovered somewhat and I could get out of bed, I still kept having accidents day and night. Which meant I've been diapered 24/7 ever since high school. Not a great time in my life as you can imagine, for a variety of reasons.

Tried to get to the bottom of what was causing my incontinence but I backed away from surgical options when I realised the issue was due to nerve damage. Much as I disliked my diapers I didn't want to have surgery that would do more harm. Gradually over time I've made peace with it and I've come to like being diapered - mostly.

I'm a little older than you but it wasn't that long ago when this all happened to me. I'm also neurodivergent (but this didn't cause my IC) so I 'get' that too.

I hope you can find some answers to why your bowel control just disappeared. I've had bowel accidents strike without warning before, and while I can handle a messy diaper change, doing it three times a day must be exhausting. That being said with my nervous system messed up as it is, it'll probably happen to me full time at some point.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002

Reactions: TeddyBunny, queerpeanut and Diprs2
Severe low back pain and urinary retention can't pee to overflow urinary incontinence caused from retrolisthesis a backward shift of a vertebrae at lumbar 3/4 this is very rare in comparison to spondylitis which is more common, spinal surgery is in future will it take care of the incontinence issues that's to be seen I've tried several adult diapers Untill I came upon BetterDry very comfortable better than local drugstore brands. Take care everyone.

Reactions: TeddyBunny and Diprs2
I've never been officially diagnosed. But I started bed wetting in 2020. It was really consistent. Worst was when I stayed at a friend's house slept on their brand new couch and wet myself all over it in my sleep. I freaked out, left and walked home. Happened another 5 nights at my moms house. It still occurs to this day. But I've learned to deal with it by usually wearing diapers when at my own home. Woke up with a leaky diaper last night. I've never been able to wear well with friends though, and just gambled on staying dry. It's led to at least 3 embarrassing situations including ine where I was at a concert with my crush, fell asleep, peed my pants, Hella embarrassing. But she still talks to me. Another nigh while camping I wet myself sleeping on my buddies new inflatable air mattress, he had to throw it away 😥.

Reactions: TeddyBunny, Diprs2 and Jeff Rictus
pjdjs said:
Hi

I am the same I have to wear a nappy all the time,

When I was younger I remember holding my pee until I had bad pains in my stomach,I always had to use the toilet a lot when I was younger but as I got older it got worse

Started with bed wetting and then wetting during the day when I had a cold or was run down, then over time got really bad, had an operation but didn’t work, I now wear nappies all the time, It has sorta took over my life have to plan ahead no matter where I go, sometimes I wet through my nappy when out for a drinks so I really
Don’t go out much anymore

Would love to talk to someone in the same position

Thanks
I feel ya and can relate, I’m not even 40 yet

L5/S1 fusion gone wrong, occasional fecal due to severe Crohn's jejunitis

Diagnosed after through testing a neurogenic bladder. The Dr. says my bladder reacts like a babies. Goon thing I love wearing diapers

Reactions: cantwait
NappiedTruckDriver said:
Well this week I’ve taken a few more steps down the full inco path ,
all but Friday night ive woken up to a very wet nappy after 1st 3 hours of sleep .
today in the supermarket I had the urge but I tried to hold 2 aisle after(5mins ) tops I couldn’t hold any more and just went
I didn't feel the need to pee when I first got in there then WHAM!
Same with me.
I have absolutely no inkling of when a sudden urge might come. They come from nowhere... (as you say...WHAM!) along with the nagging sense of wanting to go often.
It's safer to be diapered.
I still question myself, a grown man, wearing a nappy and rubber overpants, until I'm confronted by the sight of a wet bathroom floor whilst attempting to be 'normal'
So which do I prefer?: The self knowledge I'm wearing a nappy and rubbers, or the embarrassment of wetting myself in full view publicly?
And anyway, this is my new normal now. Like it or not, it takes away so much worry.

Reactions: TeddyBunny
Phoenix0 said:
Ive learned to just live with it. I mean, sure, it still has a massive impact on my life, but i try to just go along with it and kind of pretend its not happening.
I do have to see a psychologist once a week for stress problems, and a neurologist once every two weeks to see if its gotten worse/better.
I usually cope by using stress/fidget toys.
My incontinence came on slowly in my 50's 1st urine the bowel.

LupintheWolf said:
as for me I became incontinent because the disc between my L4 and L5 vertebrae slipped it started with bladder problems but has recently progressed to bowel problems as well because the slipped disc in my spine went untreated for 7 years not that I'm not trying to find help is that until a month ago i lived in new jersey and a lot of the doctors there spent more time filling their prescription quotas and padding their wallets with pointless tests like an EEG when I have no history of seizures i am hoping the doctors here in South Carolina are more the sort to fix the problem. even if at this rate my incontinence may be permanent because the nerve damage caused by the slipped disc wasn't fixed in time but still would be better than it getting worse enough to lose use of my legs
Well, I have some damage to my L4 &L5 discs, but they cannot say for sure that is what is causing my IC OAB or all the other tests that they ran looking at the nerves, etc. The only suggestion was pills for my IC I said No after several people on here and other Incontinent websites said it caused more side effects and most said they preferred to go back to Diapers (Briefs). My PG shook his head I am 68 and fairly healthy. Best of luck with S.C. Doctors.

Ghg789987 said:
I've never been officially diagnosed. But I started bed wetting in 2020. It was really consistent. Worst was when I stayed at a friend's house slept on their brand new couch and wet myself all over it in my sleep. I freaked out, left and walked home. Happened another 5 nights at my moms house. It still occurs to this day. But I've learned to deal with it by usually wearing diapers when at my own home. Woke up with a leaky diaper last night. I've never been able to wear well with friends though, and just gambled on staying dry. It's led to at least 3 embarrassing situations including ine where I was at a concert with my crush, fell asleep, peed my pants, Hella embarrassing. But she still talks to me. Another nigh while camping I wet myself sleeping on my buddies new inflatable air mattress, he had to throw it away 😥.
You are chewing though friends fast as who wants someone to wet on their furniture!! I hope you are paying to replace what you are damaging!!

Time to see your Medical Team and define what is happening. Incontinence is a common indicator of more serious problem! There is a reason that Men Cancer has been on a sharp rise over the last 10 years, dumb men not seeing their doctors. Make an appointment and soon!!

Reactions: TeddyBunny and jdinvirginia
Mine was as a result of a car crash and the resulting surgeries. I have been 24/7, U-IC for a bit under 46 years, now and I could not agree more with
greatlake5 and his statement: "manage the symptoms" as this is where one vastly limits the unexpected and gain some level of control over ones Life!! I use a Journal to track my U-IC and rare F-IC to define what I wear and and when.

I wear cloth diapers and a diaper covers during the day and NorthShore's MEGAMAX with their Trifecta diaper cover at night!

Last edited:
I was a bed wetter till I was 17 and some dry years through my late teens and twenty's, but I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease in my 30's that caused neuropathy that left me dual incontinent.... I stopped working due to disability at 43 , except for about 15 years I've been wearing diapers part or full time most of my life...

• Sad
Reactions: TeddyBunny and Edgewater
fredy552 said:
Well, I have some damage to my L4 &L5 discs, but they cannot say for sure that is what is causing my IC OAB or all the other tests that they ran looking at the nerves, etc. The only suggestion was pills for my IC I said No after several people on here and other Incontinent websites said it caused more side effects and most said they preferred to go back to Diapers (Briefs). My PG shook his head I am 68 and fairly healthy. Best of luck with S.C. Doctors.
the doctors here in south Carolina did find one thing the docs in NJ didn't even find that the slipped discs are not the cause of my incontinence but it isn't helping the issue the docs down here found that the cause of my incontinence may very well be psychological due to PTSD

• Thinking
  • Wow
Reactions: TeddyBunny, fredy552 and Edgewater
Harley07 said:
I was a bed wetter till I was 17 and some dry years through my late teens and twenty's, but I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease in my 30's that caused neuropathy that left me dual incontinent.... I stopped working due to disability at 43 , except for about 15 years I've been wearing diapers part or full time most of my life...
You lost as a dl. I know I’d feel defeated and depressed again like I did as a bedwetting and daytime struggler when I was a teenager. I knew of no other guys my age that had these issues. I was fortunate however becoming a dl at age 8 or 9 when I began looking forward to being pinned into my diapers every night before bed. So I liked my dipers but as a teen really wanted to be like my friends. Once I was 30 I had a wise urologist do a complete study that revealed I had a neurogenic bladder and as the tests showed, and he said, my bladder reacts just like a babies in that my bladder brain connection doesn’t connect properly. This incurable condition explained everything and only made me wonder how much easier my teen years would have been if I’d have known. All dr.s would say at that time, “we just have to wait until you outgrow it”. Alarms, medications, mental stress, of course nothing could solve what turned out to be incurable.
The absolute upside is I am a diaper lover so now know why I need to be in diapers, and wouldn’t have it any other way.

Lethdale said:
Same with me.
I have absolutely no inkling of when a sudden urge might come. They come from nowhere... (as you say...WHAM!) along with the nagging sense of wanting to go often.
It's safer to be diapered.
I still question myself, a grown man, wearing a nappy and rubber overpants, until I'm confronted by the sight of a wet bathroom floor whilst attempting to be 'normal'
So which do I prefer?: The self knowledge I'm wearing a nappy and rubbers, or the embarrassment of wetting myself in full view publicly?
And anyway, this is my new normal now. Like it or not, it takes away so much worry.
Even after discovering I had a neurogenic bladder the daytime stress issues remained. I long ago was very comfortable waking up every morning is soaked diapers but highly resisted going to full time diapers. Using pads and snap on plastic pants (for convenience) along with padded underwear was still a struggle against getting wet pants. Thus the stress. Kind of silly wearing all that crap during the day just because I didn’t want to tape on a real diaper, thinking I wasn’t in a diaper was nonsense. After all I loved sleeping in my much needed diapers so there was no reason for the stress struggle. Once I went 24/7 the stress all but vanished. Pretty silly it took me so long to simply accept my neurogenic bladder as the uncontrollable cause of my incontinence. I already liked diapers and the complete independence I experienced at just getting wet anywhere I was made everything so easy. Changing myself was also so much easier because I now only have to think about that after about 10+ hours in my quality disposable with a tranquility booster. I mostly wear jeans and was at first concerned with people seeing I was in a diaper. I pretty quickly realized no one ever noticed anything as that is simply nothing anyone is looking for. I also became very relaxed about it and never broadcast I have to wear diapers but don’t hide from it either. I always let friends I’m sharing a hotel room with or a spending the night with that I need to be in diapers. I have never gotten a negative reaction from anybody. I don’t hide from changing in my la fitness locker room and have never had any kind of comment or reaction from anyone there. I guess what’s a guy going to say to someone they don’t know about being diapered.
Anyway I am very comfortable being 24/7 and stress free about it.

Reactions: TeddyBunny and Lethdale
Edgewater said:
You are chewing though friends fast as who wants someone to wet on their furniture!! I hope you are paying to replace what you are damaging!!

Time to see your Medical Team and define what is happening. Incontinence is a common indicator of more serious problem! There is a reason that Men Cancer has been on a sharp rise over the last 10 years, dumb men not seeing their doctors. Make an appointment and soon!!
Yeah, I paid for the couch. Were still close friends, have been for 8 years. Haven't lost any friends, but have looked stupid in front of them many times with accidents and other things.

I have PMI, sensory urgency incontinence and retention. Along with BPH. I have had PMI for many years and was only diagnosed when I went to see my Urologist around 18-months ago. Sensory urgency and retention was diagnosed late last year. I am currently having issue walking on my left side and have to have a lumber puncture along with more test this coming week. There appears yo be an issue with my central nervous system. Doctors think MS. I have 5-days of steroid injection this week as well. So my incontinence is likely neurological related. Will hopefully know more after this week.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Ghg789987 said:
Yeah, I paid for the couch. Were still close friends, have been for 8 years. Haven't lost any friends, but have looked stupid in front of them many times with accidents and other things.
Good on you for paying for the couch!
Upgrading what you are wearing will greatly reduce the number of times you look stupid because of leaks.
May you find a better product that will support your current needs.

Reactions: TeddyBunny and Lethdale
Back