Are Megamax diapers good for a new DL?

Abreeze said:
Do the tapes help you get a more comfortable feel as far as the diaper being secured to your body? Or do they serve another purpose?
Not really. I had other diaper with tapes that we're strong without ripping off plastic when I took it off to go #2 for example.

It seems many people have had trouble with the plastic ripping.

Reactions: McClayne
They are currently my Preferred brand so I say Yes

Reactions: Abreeze
MakABDL said:
They are currently my Preferred brand so I say Yes
It seems there’s a lot of good feedback so far.

Abreeze said:
It seems there’s a lot of good feedback so far.
They are God Tier diapers so I can imagine why

@Abreeze I think that you are receiving very good advice and I would add 3 items which I don't think have been mentioned to help you find a good starting point:

MEASURE YOUR WAIST/HIPS - using a measuring tape will help you determine the proper size. Use the larger of the 2 measurements;

PROTECT YOUR SKIN - you don't want to get a rash, so consider using a barrier cream on your skin and baby powder;

THERE WILL BE A LEARNING CURVE - I had to learn proper tab placement and tightness by trial and error, and most likely so will you. Having a diaper with tabs that can be repositioned will help. The regular MegaMax uses adhesive tabs and has a tape landing zone so they can be repositioned if needed (make sure that the tabs stay on the front landing zone). Once in a while adhesive tabs can fail, so I keep a roll of duct tape handy.

Reactions: Happy2BeInNappies2, wearforsafety and Abreeze
You can't go wrong with megamax, just keep in mind that the tapes are so sticky, that wherever you put the tapes, they usually won't come off without tearing the outer plastic shell. So you gotta tape it right on the first go. If you're worried about this, I would recommend starting out with a diaper that has the velcro style tapes. Tykables are a good choice for that, but sadly they've been out of stock a lot lately.

Reactions: blaincorrous, wearforsafety and McClayne
PaddedJayde said:
@Abreeze I think that you are receiving very good advice and I would add 3 items which I don't think have been mentioned to help you find a good starting point:

MEASURE YOUR WAIST/HIPS - using a measuring tape will help you determine the proper size. Use the larger of the 2 measurements;

PROTECT YOUR SKIN - you don't want to get a rash, so consider using a barrier cream on your skin and baby powder;

THERE WILL BE A LEARNING CURVE - I had to learn proper tab placement and tightness by trial and error, and most likely so will you. Having a diaper with tabs that can be repositioned will help. The regular MegaMax uses adhesive tabs and has a tape landing zone so they can be repositioned if needed (make sure that the tabs stay on the front landing zone). Once in a while adhesive tabs can fail, so I keep a roll of duct tape handy.
How often must one apply barrier cream and powder? And how quickly must you get out of a diaper to avoid a rash?

Last edited:
Abreeze said:
How often must one apply barrier cream and powder? And how quickly must you get out of a diaper to avoid a rash?
Me personally, I've never used barrier cream. Just cornstarch powder. The main reason I get rashes is from poor taping and my leg gatherers rub against my leg during a lot of physical activity (and that hurts like a you know what) I just rub some baby powder against the areas where the leg gatherers touch and that helps a lot with the chafing.

Now on to your question, Apply the powder during every diaper change, you don't need to apply it again if you're still wearing the same diaper. and I would say only wear a diaper up to 12 hours max, that is my own personal limit. Not necessarily because of diaper rashes, but because urine really starts to stink really bad at that point. I hope this helps a little bit.

You mean 12 hours max in a dirty diaper?
I had no idea cornstarch could be a substitute.

I wish I had found megamax after my accident , I took me several years to figure it all out.
for the price, absorbancy , fit and feel they are hard to beat.

Reactions: Diaperman95 and Abreeze
Abreeze said:

You have 2 questions and I will do my best to answer them in the order you asked.

1) Generally one applies barrier cream and powder at each diaper change, This is done after any required cleanup from wearing the previous diaper. My usual procedure is to apply the barrier cream (I use a store brand of Aquaphor, or a zinc oxide containing diaper rash cream) in a thin layer after cleaning with a wipe or two, I then wash my hands using diluted Dawn dish soap. After drying my hands I put some baby powder in the new diaper before I put it on.

I use a diaper for wetting because two or three times I pooped in one when I couldn't quite get to the toilet in time to take down pants, diaper, etc. in time I did not like the cleanup at all! Fortunately each time it happened I was home by myself. The diaper contained things but the smell and cleanup seemed very gross and disgusting to me.

2) I am interpreting this second question as "How long can I wear a diaper until I need to change to prevent a rash?" That is something you will have to find out for yourself through trial and error. NorthShore rates their MegaMax for wear up to 12 hours, but your personal mileage may vary.

Skin sensitivity varies among individuals and I am advising you to start off by playing it safe. If you start feeling irritation, or discomfort, it's time to change. After several wearings is the time to start experimenting. Your skin may turn out to not need barrier cream or powder, but don't overdo it the first couple of times.

PaddedJayde said:
You have 2 questions and I will do my best to answer them in the order you asked.

1) Generally one applies barrier cream and powder at each diaper change, This is done after any required cleanup from wearing the previous diaper. My usual procedure is to apply the barrier cream (I use a store brand of Aquaphor, or a zinc oxide containing diaper rash cream) in a thin layer after cleaning with a wipe or two, I then wash my hands using diluted Dawn dish soap. After drying my hands I put some baby powder in the new diaper before I put it on.

I use a diaper for wetting because two or three times I pooped in one when I couldn't quite get to the toilet in time to take down pants, diaper, etc. in time I did not like the cleanup at all! Fortunately each time it happened I was home by myself. The diaper contained things but the smell and cleanup seemed very gross and disgusting to me.

2) I am interpreting this second question as "How long can I wear a diaper until I need to change to prevent a rash?" That is something you will have to find out for yourself through trial and error. NorthShore rates their MegaMax for wear up to 12 hours, but your personal mileage may vary.

Skin sensitivity varies among individuals and I am advising you to start off by playing it safe. If you start feeling irritation, or discomfort, it's time to change. After several wearings is the time to start experimenting. Your skin may turn out to not need barrier cream or powder, but don't overdo it the first couple of times.
I see. Will there always be irritation or discomfort present as the rash is forming or can it form without pain and then leave you in pain later on?

Good start. Maybe more expensive then other diapers, but good choice

quarktheory said:
I wish I had found megamax after my accident , I took me several years to figure it all out.
for the price, absorbancy , fit and feel they are hard to beat.
They seem to be popular as far as absorbency.

Abreeze said:
Just apply during each fresh change, though barrier cream will be a little more work after each change(see stuff below). And try any of these near the tapes/taping surfaces. Powder will pretty much make the tapes useless if you do, same goes for barrier creams.
Wearing times will vary depending on a few factors(also below)

Both have their up/downsides and it depends on your use case.

Powder
If you're gonna use them for occasional wetting and for shorter wearing periods(not going to sit in a totally soaked and messy diaper for many many hours), powder should probably be enough depending on how hydrated you're staying and/or how sensitive your skin is.
Also helps if you tend to get a little sweaty in that area, helps keep things feeling a little cooler but does not seal out wetness. Just don't use way too much otherwise you'll end up making powder mud which might negatively impact absorbency.

Barrier Creams/Ointments
If you're intending to mess or going to stay in a wet and/or messy diaper for longer periods, I'd absolutely recommend using some type of a barrier cream.
Helps reduce the chance of diaper rash and does seal out most wetness but is a little more difficult to clean up during changes.
A barrier cream will do a much better job of protecting your skin from rash/breakdown if you intend to sit in it longer than a few hours(which I don't recommend), especially if you have sensitive skin.

It's usually a thicker paste, some pastes/ointments will be thinner/thicker than others and easier/harder to get off skin so cleaning it off might be a bit of an annoyance for every change. You might want to try some vinyl/nitrile/medical gloves for a few applications to practice cause it does tend stick to the hands pretty effectively and gloves do make the application/cleanup process way easier imo, otherwise scrub your hands off or use a few baby wipes before you go tape up to remove as much off your hands as you can. Avoid getting it on tapes/taping surfaces.

Personally if you're going to be using diapers fully, for wetting and messing, don't risk it. Save yourself the pain of developing a bad rash and use a some kind of barrier cream for extended wear sessions. I'm sure many here will agree, rashes are no fun.
------------

Also Megamax are a very good diaper in general, as a starter they might spoil you for most other diapers, might wanna sample them to get the fit right as they run very slightly bigger than usual sizing.
Hope this helps a little, have any more questions just ask.

Last edited:
Abreeze said:
You mean 12 hours max in a dirty diaper?
I had no idea cornstarch could be a substitute.
Yes, but I mean as far as the megamax diaper goes. Northshore themselves even rate the diaper for up to 12 hours of wear. I truly believe I could push it farther than that, but as I said, the smell is unbearable at that point. I wasn't upfront about this in my first post, but I don't do messing / #2, if you are into that, then obviously you'll need to change way before then.

I wouldn't call it a substitute, it's just another type of baby powder. Most ABDLs stick with Johnson & Johnson's talcum powder if I'm not mistaken, but I prefer Caldesene's baby powder or Northshore's medline cornstarch powder. Both feel great on the skin and this is coming from somebody that works a physically demanding job while wearing 24/7. Baby powder helps a lot with chafing on the thighs.

Yes, Megamax is the first diapers ive ever tried out and they are one of my favorites

While I agree they are very good diapers, they may not be the best pick for someone's first diapers. They're relatively thin for their capacity but they're still not super discrete. (which if you're just wearing at home, admittedly doesn't matter) But the big thing for the new DL is they may not be a good value for the money. New users don't usually wet their diaper much, and many of them find wetting at all to be difficult. So if there's a good chance you'll be throwing away a dry diaper often or always, I think you'd get better value at first going with something less expensive.

I realize this may not be a very popular opinion here, as those of us that are experienced and use your diapers fully are getting a good value out of them and want high capacity, but for a new DL it can lead to a less enjoyable experience due to the unnecessarily higher cost. I'd also point out that if you "start at the top", then trying out other new diapers will be less satisfying because you're going to compare them with what you already have / have been wearing, and there will be less of an improvement, or no improvement at all.

When I first got diapers, I pretty much "started at the bottom" with really cheap diapers (depends!), and despite that, I was thrilled with them at the time. Even with those it took me weeks to be able to wet them under even the most ideal circumstances, and I couldn't even get to sleep wearing them to bed. So for me, "easing into it" worked out really well, and allowed me to gradually increase my "diaper budget" as i sought out better and better diapers. When you don't have diapers, any diapers are a treat. And you can seriously look forward to shopping around for and getting better diapers. I've never purged, and I wonder if this has something to do with it?

So my advice to you is to not try to "start at the top". Get some diapers that are decent, but not top-of-the-line. Experiment with your DL desires. And as your interest and commitment grows, look forward to trying new and better diapers.

- Northshore Supreme Lite
- ABU BareBum (it's a shame ABU doesn't carry much in the way of less-than-premium)
- Tykables apparently carries NOTHING non-premium anymore, even their Little Builders, listed "non-premium", still cost premium. shame.
- LLMedco has a wide range of diapers available, some are very affordable

I have no doubt at all that I would have been absolutely THRILLED to have started with supreme lite diapers. They're an all-white, plastic shell, adhesive tape diaper with good leak guards and decent capacity, with a price that doesn't leave you questioning whether it was worth it.

Reactions: DinoFrant, Jonnythepony and Chimera
Jonnythepony said:
Just apply during each fresh change, though barrier cream will be a little more work after each change(see stuff below). And try any of these near the tapes/taping surfaces. Powder will pretty much make the tapes useless if you do, same goes for barrier creams.
Wearing times will vary depending on a few factors(also below)

Both have their up/downsides and it depends on your use case.

Powder
If you're gonna use them for occasional wetting and for shorter wearing periods(not going to sit in a totally soaked and messy diaper for many many hours), powder should probably be enough depending on how hydrated you're staying and/or how sensitive your skin is.
Also helps if you tend to get a little sweaty in that area, helps keep things feeling a little cooler but does not seal out wetness. Just don't use way too much otherwise you'll end up making powder mud which might negatively impact absorbency.

Barrier Creams/Ointments
If you're intending to mess or going to stay in a wet and/or messy diaper for longer periods, I'd absolutely recommend using some type of a barrier cream.
Helps reduce the chance of diaper rash and does seal out most wetness but is a little more difficult to clean up during changes.
A barrier cream will do a much better job of protecting your skin from rash/breakdown if you intend to sit in it longer than a few hours(which I don't recommend), especially if you have sensitive skin.

It's usually a thicker paste, some pastes/ointments will be thinner/thicker than others and easier/harder to get off skin so cleaning it off might be a bit of an annoyance for every change. You might want to try some vinyl/nitrile/medical gloves for a few applications to practice cause it does tend stick to the hands pretty effectively and gloves do make the application/cleanup process way easier imo, otherwise scrub your hands off or use a few baby wipes before you go tape up to remove as much off your hands as you can. Avoid getting it on tapes/taping surfaces.

Personally if you're going to be using diapers fully, for wetting and messing, don't risk it. Save yourself the pain of developing a bad rash and use a some kind of barrier cream for extended wear sessions. I'm sure many here will agree, rashes are no fun.
------------

Also Megamax are a very good diaper in general, as a starter they might spoil you for most other diapers, might wanna sample them to get the fit right as they run very slightly bigger than usual sizing.
Hope this helps a little, have any more questions just ask.
I appreciate the advice, I certainly don’t plan on sitting anything more than maybe 5-10 minutes in a diaper I’ve already used. At that point should I be applying cream?

Back