Yeast infections ( wearing pull ups for IC)

RainbowDashie

🎀🖤Little Girl
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
I'm prone to yeast infections as a woman and I'm concerned if I switch to pull ups 24/7 it could cause them more due to the warmth lack of breathable fabric and moisture building in the pad area from leakage . On the other side of the coin I got a yeast infection pretty badly from wet underwear in sweatpants for to many hours in bed and it took 3 weeks and 2 doses of Yeast meds and 2 3-day packs of monistat to cure it completely . Since I'm prone to these I try to wipe really well ( I'm overweight so the folds are kinda smashed together ) and I wear cotton underwear that at times gets wet and stays wet for a long time . For being cotton based they don't wick very easily . Other then wearing panty liners for the foreseeable future that fold up and crinkle up in themselves I considered pull ups as they are more comfortable . I've worn them in the past but not consistently 24/7 . Also how do you handle sweating down there while wearing a pull up in summer ? We have no AC so it's often a dress and no underwear for me during the day in summer due to sweat build up .

I’m also prone to them also due to a medicine I take for diabetes. If you find a good quality diaper with a great wetness barrier it will cut down if not eliminate infections. The best I’ve found are megamax’s.

Hi @LittleBabygirl93! I´m not a woman myself, but hopefully I can still be of assistance. The thing with pull-ups is that, given their lower level of absorption, they´re designed to be changed frequently precisely to prevent rashes and/or infections to the wearer, so if you decide to switch to pull-ups do keep in mind that you will need to change every 3 - 4 hours (or sooner), depending on the use, and even if you don´t wet them you will still need to change because the padding will be taking bodily sweat and bacteria that alone can cause infections if kept against the skin for too long. I´ve found that barrier creams (I use Bepanthen) also help with keeping a fresh skin and reducing the discomfort caused by mositure down there.

Summary: if you change your pull-ups frequently enough, you won´t have an issue.

Reactions: Cottontail
Male or female, the same "try to stay drier" advice applies. "Jock itch" and "ringworm" are manifestations of the same yeast/fungus, just in external skin folds (or other places) instead of vaginas. Every so often, somebody will pop in and complain of a seemingly incurable "diaper rash," which actually turns out to be a fungal thing. Quickly and easily dealt with using OTC antifungal creams, but of course you don't want to make a habit of getting an infection and curing it.

I wear diapers "only" 6-7 hours a day, but I have a proneness to fungal infections, so I make an effort to avoid them. While at home, I wear mainly reusable cloth diapers, so I can change well before my diaper is saturated and I'm not "wasting" anything. As well, when changing my diaper, or when changing from a diaper into underwear, I clean and dry myself completely. The more-regular changes and the cleaning/drying off seem to be helping a lot, as it's been some time since I had an infection. Just one anecdote!

Last edited:
Reactions: DinoFrant
Cottontail said:
Male or female, the same "try to stay drier" advice applies. "Jock itch" and "ringworm" are manifestations of the same yeast/fungus, just in external skin folds (or other places) instead of vaginas. Every so often, somebody will pop in and complain of a seemingly incurable "diaper rash," which actually turns out to be a fungal thing. Quickly and easily dealt with using OTC antifungal creams, but of course you don't want to make a habit of getting an infection and curing it.

I wear diapers "only" 6-7 hours a day, but I have a proneness to fungal infections, so I make an effort to avoid them. While at home, I wear mainly reusable cloth diapers, so I can change well before my diaper is saturated and I'm not "wasting" anything. As well, when changing my diaper, or when changing from a diaper into underwear, I clean and dry myself completely. The more-regular changes and the cleaning/drying off seem to be helping a lot, as it's been some time since I had an infection. Just one anecdote!
I guess I failed to mention these are vaginal yeast infections not topical . Hope that clears up any confusion

LittleBabygirl93 said:
I guess I failed to mention these are vaginal yeast infections not topical . Hope that clears up any confusion
Nah, no confusion. I assumed you meant vaginal. Just saying that the general advice of trying to stay drier is applicable regardless of anatomy. The same baddies can take hold, and for the same reasons. Guys just have one less place for that.

Last edited:
Cottontail said:
Nah, no confusion. I assumed you meant vaginal. Just saying that the general advice of trying to stay drier is applicable regardless of anatomy. The same baddies can take hold, and for the same reasons. Guys just have one less place for that.
True

Had the dreaded yeast infections when I was younger. Being paralysed below my waist with limited sensation,urinary incontinent and being 'complete' in that certain area all contributed. More stringent hygiene methods and drinking cranberry juice helped. Still get the odd milder infections, usually cleared up quickly my medicated creams.

Back