Will adults wearing nappies ever be considered normal?

Lickingatallsorts said:
That is pretty much my thoughts on normalising wearing diapers. Most adults are aware and considerate of someone using for medical reasons. Should we expect the general public outside our own homes to normalise something we get a thrill out of? I'd argue no. I'd also suggest it would take away part of the thrill for us with regard to it being 'taboo'.
Yeah I think you're right there. Removing the taboo aspect would in all likelihood ruin it for some people.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
Normality doesn't really matter. Societal acceptance will probably never adopt anything that doesn't equate interests to biological age because society doesn't like to think as progressively as one would hope it would.

• Thinking
PrincessKaylee said:
Normality doesn't really matter. Societal acceptance will probably never adopt anything that doesn't equate interests to biological age because society doesn't like to think as progressively as one would hope it would.
I'd say it is more the sexual aspect of it that is what society frowns on. After all behind closed doors, DDlg or Roleplay including adults playing as school children is a fairly common fetish. If it wasn't, the demand for adult school uniform or cheerleader outfts wouldn't exist to the extent it does.

Does the average person give a shit if George and Mildred next door enjoy roleplaying Sir and schoolgirl to spice up their sex life? I suspect not. However if they popped round dressed in that role for a cuppa, Most would think it unacceptable to be included in their sexual fantasy.

Reactions: boredofwheelchair, DinoFrant, artemisenterri and 1 other person
Lickingatallsorts said:
I'd say it is more the sexual aspect of it that is what society frowns on. After all behind closed doors, DDlg or Roleplay including adults playing as school children is a fairly common fetish. If it wasn't, the demand for adult school uniform or cheerleader outfts wouldn't exist to the extent it does.

Does the average person give a shit if George and Mildred next door enjoy roleplaying Sir and schoolgirl to spice up their sex life? I suspect not. However if they popped round dressed in that role for a cuppa, Most would think it unacceptable to be included in their sexual fantasy.
I don't think that everyone who is little and wears diapers should be grouped in with it being a sexual fetish tho.. For me, I am more so an age regressor and enjoy the comfort of being a kid and wearing diapers but I don't really feel it is just purely a sexual kink for me as it is more psychological for me.

Reactions: DinoFrant, artemisenterri, PadPhilosopher and 1 other person
PrincessKaylee said:
I don't think that everyone who is little and wears diapers should be grouped in with it being a sexual fetish tho.. For me, I am more so an age regressor and enjoy the comfort of being a kid and wearing diapers but I don't really feel it is just purely a sexual kink for me as it is more psychological for me.
You're right in your thinking. Not everyone should be grouped in the fetish category. People that aren't educated in ABDL aren't gonna see it that way unfortunately. That's just how it is, sad but true. Some people will still see it as just a fetish even after attempting to educate them. Some people are stuck in their views that way.

There's also confirmation bias to think about actually. People who have only ever seen or heard of diaper fetishists will completely discount any conflicting evidence that some do it for psychological reasons. Psychology is weird like that.

• Sad
Reactions: DinoFrant, artemisenterri, PrincessKaylee and 1 other person
Aimeesaurus said:
You're right in your thinking. Not everyone should be grouped in the fetish category. People that aren't educated in ABDL aren't gonna see it that way unfortunately. That's just how it is, sad but true. Some people will still see it as just a fetish even after attempting to educate them. Some people are stuck in their views that way.

There's also confirmation bias to think about actually. People who have only ever seen or heard of diaper fetishists will completely discount any conflicting evidence that some do it for psychological reasons. Psychology is weird like that.
I've highlighted the part that diferentiates it as far as I'm concerned. Those doing it for psychological (eg compulsion) reasons would fall under the health aspect. As such healthcare to assist the person would be advisable.

After all, many of us have seen crazes going round (schools in particular) where groups of people wish to identify as a cat and use a litter tray or a dog and be taken round on a lead.

What I belieive is an adult who wants to dress up and act as a baby complete with diaper, I'd suspect the majority by a large majority will be doing it for sexual reasons. As such they shouldn't be bringing the general public into their own sexual play. By all means dress up as a dog and have your partner take you out for a walk. However, I retain the right to look at you and think either 'complete lunatic' or sexual deviant bringing his or her fetish into the public gaze.

• Wow
Reactions: artemisenterri and PadPhilosopher
Lyric said:
No, adults wearing diapers will never be considered normal unfortunately. I do believe people accept and understand those who wear diapers for medical reasons, but I'm very doubtful the general public will ever accept people like me who wear diapers for comfort, pleasure, fetish or relief from anxiety or pressure.
Great thread and this reply pretty much nails it for me. However, I do think attitudes are softening slowly because of ageing populations and other things which are becoming more normalised which used to be taboo - crossdressing for instance - society is becoming more tolerant that if it doesn't harm other people then why worry? So long as you don't flaunt it, why should there be a problem?
Take fetish out of Lyric's last few words here and think how acceptable it is for people to do things for comfort, pleasure or relief from anxiety or pressure - drinking might be considered one of the things that fits that bill. I've always thought one of the reasons people get drunk is to give them the confidence to act like a kid again - that really doesn't sound too different from putting a nappy on to me and one is less likely to cause trouble than the other!

Lickingatallsorts said:
After all, many of us have seen crazes going round (schools in particular) where groups of people wish to identify as a cat and use a litter tray or a dog and be taken round on a lead.
Just so you're aware, those stories are demonstrably untrue. The school where it was claimed this happened have denied that it categorically.

The litter box thing is also untrue.

I'd hazard a guess at this being some sort of right-wing attempt to create a moral panic.
Lickingatallsorts said:
What I belieive is an adult who wants to dress up and act as a baby complete with diaper, I'd suspect the majority by a large majority will be doing it for sexual reasons. As such they shouldn't be bringing the general public into their own sexual play. By all means dress up as a dog and have your partner take you out for a walk. However, I retain the right to look at you and think either 'complete lunatic' or sexual deviant bringing his or her fetish into the public gaze.
Totally agree, don't expose unconsenting individuals to your fetish. Not cool.

Last edited:
  • Angry
pampers4U said:
I think better products will enter the market in brick & mortar stores as the population ages and costs go up, an elder in a home diapered is very expensive past the diaper itself, you have the gloves, cleaning supplies, gown, mast e
Still far less expensive than a nursing home or personal care center.

Reactions: boredofwheelchair, PadPhilosopher and Aimeesaurus
Aimeesaurus said:
Just so you're aware, those stories are demonstrably untrue. The school where it was claimed this happened have denied that it categorically.

The litter box thing is also untrue.

I'd hazard a guess at this being some sort of right-wing attempt to create a moral panic.

Totally agree, don't expose unconsenting individuals to your fetish. Not cool.
I take offense at the highlighted portion of the statement. But in order to prevent a flame war, I will not say anything further.

• Thinking
Reactions: PadPhilosopher and Aimeesaurus
artemisenterri said:
I take offense at the highlighted portion of the statement. But in order to prevent a flame war, I will not say anything further.
Meh, you do you. I've already veered too far towards politics. I'd encourage you to Google around, there are plenty of articles on that subject confirming my point and plenty of other ragebait articles not reporting the facts but speculating and blowing things out of proportion. I'm not here to make up your mind for you. I'd also encourage you to keep in mind that there is a diaperfur/babyfur board here. Anyway, I'm done on this subject. Not what I'm here for.

• Thinking
Aimeesaurus said:
Meh, you do you. I've already veered too far towards politics. I'd encourage you to Google around, there are plenty of articles on that subject confirming my point and plenty of other ragebait articles not reporting the facts but speculating and blowing things out of proportion. I'm not here to make up your mind for you. I'd also encourage you to keep in mind that there is a diaperfur/babyfur board here. Anyway, I'm done on this subject. Not what I'm here for.
I am aware of that board, and skip past it as it has no value for me. I do not seek to cause trouble, I just happen to be present when trouble shows itself.

For me, it's normal. For others, so what? I have no control over what others think.

messydiaper said:
Sorry about your anxiety and glad that diapers help in that area. But if you're not looking to walk around in nothing but a diaper (and I'm not saying you are), you can still wear a diaper under your clothes without anyone else knowing?
I mean, that's my goal. I hope I can without anyone else knowing because if they find out it may cause social problems.
I was just trying to make a distinction between some of us wearing diapers for sexual vs therapeutic reasons, I think we all can agree medical ic needs are also a different case.

I don't think people should be shoving it in other people's faces, But I do think there needs to be less diaper ridicule.

Reactions: artemisenterri, dogboy, messydiaper and 1 other person
Whilst I don't know if diapers will ever be considered normal by the majority of the population, I will say that they have become more normalised and accepted, certainly the amount of adult pullups available in the supermarkets are a lot more than they used to be although that probably correlates with a ageing population and advertising campaigns but I think talking about incontinence and the acceptance of incontinence products, although not necessarily diapers is more accepted in younger generations too, I mean Tena have marketed their Tena lights more towards Gen X and Millennial women previously for those 'oops' moments

slimjiminy said:
Agreed. Diapers will always be associated with babies, so the stigma will always continue.
Adult diapers will be associated more with elderly and infirm people and those with disabilities and/or medical conditions that necessitates the need for a diaper so it'll have a stigma too

Reactions: artemisenterri, dogboy and PadPhilosopher
It won't become normal, but it is, slowly, losing its taboo. It'll end up similar to bdsm and piss play. A small minority do these things, it's weird and embarrassing, but not the total taboo diapers have today. I believe the 'total taboo' is no longer the situation. Still taboo, but softening up.

SparkyDog said:
People don't care what you buy
they are focused on their own lives
and just because you're buying them doesn't mean it's for you. People buy stuff for their kids & parents.
Medical need is generally accepted but AB-DL won't and I don't think it needs to be. If you enjoy diapers buy & wear em
I do (also wear for need) I am not looking for acceptance
if someone happens to judge while I'm buying ill never see that person again
Yup. I used to be so anxious about people seeing, thinking, and laughing. It's mostly in our heads. As I've grown to accept diapers and my enjoyment, I now buy diapers freely, and was surprised to see that almost nobody cares. Once or twice someone turned their head for a double-take, but that's all. Play it cool, and set the situation.

No cashier ever has twitched or made me feel uncomfortable, or anything at all. It's just not an issue. I have something to contrast it with. Buying condoms and lube at the pharmacy does sometimes create awkward tension, but never with diapers.

Reactions: boredofwheelchair and SparkyDog
thefurealfriends2 said:
But not being nosy, but we have adults and kids come in all the time wearing a diaper under there clothing, and when i was at good will the other day they had mega max samples for sale…more ppl are wearing diapers/pads for incontinence.. But it’s not a fetish thing they use them cause they’re convenient in a busy urban environment, I know At least one coworker that wears diapers, I’m pretty sure for needing to go all the time.
And both kids and adults wear them for the security…and oops moments… We had a older guy come in the other day with riding shorts on a diaper and his riding shirt… And his diaper was clearly visible under his riding shorts…. We get a lot of seniors that are just like whatever. Yeah I’m wearing a diaper so what!! Once you’re over 40 can just chalk it up to getting older…or Injury
What do you mean? Where do you work where you see diapered adults all the time?

Wetshisbed said:
I honestly think it is more accepted than it used to be.
Of course. Us Boomers are getting older! (And we know the Boomers control everything, just like the Freemasons.)

• Haha
thefurealfriends2 said:
Another thing is right now we’re in the acceptance movement the LGBTQ community is very passive aggressive about there being accepted, which means people just literally ignore a lot of things now, so I think it’s much easier to wear and people completely. Ignore you or just Wipe their brain after they have an interaction and move on
I see a Venn diagram of three major groups who wear diapers by choice (not need), with a lot of overlap between them: DLs, fetishists, and ABs. And like most things in life, there's also a lot of overlapping with other groups - IC, sissies, furbabies, bdsm, scat, and so forth.

Most of us are in the closet, holding onto the doorknob with both hands. There's a handful of AB and fetish exhibitionists (vaguely analogous to the flamboyant drag queens) out in public. And there's that crack of light - those Swifties and Times Square wearers I mentioned earlier.

For good or ill, I think general public awareness is mostly limited to the exhibitionists. The fetishists are accused of being perverted (lumped in with most fetishists), but largely keep their fetish in the bedroom (like most fetishists). The AB's catch the worst of it, falsely being accused of being pedophiles. I think DLs are mostly invisible.

I'm mostly DL with a bit of AB and fetish, and I'm not worrying about changing the general public perception. I'm holding onto that doorknob!

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and artemisenterri
Back