Why does the UK refer to "Diapers" as "Nappies"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaughtyBoiNathan

🙊TAKEN! Lewis 🥰 Is my world 🌈❤️
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Sissy
  5. Little
  6. Incontinent
Ok, so like i know that here in the UK we seem to like to do our own thing, but does anyone know the reason as to why we refer to Diapers as Nappies?

Reactions: Angelapinks
Nappy is in reference to napkin, something to clean with, absorb liquids ext. Diaper is actually a fabric weave used in the first cloth diapers, there is also gauze and birds eye weaves.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: KrankyPants, BigKid25, ReluctantAdult and 4 others
Yes that was the explanation I got at one time. Way back in the 1800 I believe, they called them napkins for the purpose of soaking up babies urine etc. and even in the late nineteen hundreds they still called them napkins but in certain circles as usual with the Brits, they shorten things or use rhyming slang to name items like "apples & pears" - stairs, nappies for napkin's or diapers as they are called in the Americas. My dad always told us at bedtime "up the apples & pears" and other wonderful British slang terms we got used to when we were younger.

dlboylife said:
Nappy is in reference to napkin, something to clean with, absorb liquids ext. Diaper is actually a fabric weave used in the first cloth diapers, there is also gauze and birds eye weaves.
Good to know.

Diaper is an Americanism. Nappy was there first!!

1. US and Canadian
a piece of soft material, esp towelling or a disposable material, wrapped around a baby in order to absorb its excrement
Also called (in Britain and certain other countries): nappy
a.
a woven pattern on fabric consisting of a small repeating design, esp diamonds
b.
fabric having such a pattern
c.
such a pattern, used as decoration
VERB
3. (transitive)
to decorate with such a pattern
Collins English Dictionary. Copyright © HarperCollins Publishers
Word origin
C14: from Old French diaspre, from Medieval Latin diasprus made of diaper, from Medieval Greek diaspros pure white, from dia- + aspros white, shining

• Wow
Reactions: Angelapinks, NaughtyBoiNathan, KittyninjaW and 1 other person
Or put another way, why do Americans call nappies diapers?

Reactions: KCA, Napincolove, BigKid25 and 1 other person
ABDLEunuch said:
Diaper is an Americanism. Nappy was there first!!

1. US and Canadian
a piece of soft material, esp towelling or a disposable material, wrapped around a baby in order to absorb its excrement
Also called (in Britain and certain other countries): nappy
a.
a woven pattern on fabric consisting of a small repeating design, esp diamonds
b.
fabric having such a pattern
c.
such a pattern, used as decoration
VERB
3. (transitive)
to decorate with such a pattern
Collins English Dictionary. Copyright © HarperCollins Publishers
Word origin
C14: from Old French diaspre, from Medieval Latin diasprus made of diaper, from Medieval Greek diaspros pure white, from dia- + aspros white, shining
Wow, that's a very detailed answer. It's always baffled me? I always thought that it was because nappies mostly referred to reusable towelling nappies like Mary Poppins used, but diapers more accurately referred to disposable diapers. I just think that in the modern world where most of us tend to use disposables, then term Diaper referring to the construction and material used to make a disposable diaper is more accurate. I also prefer the word Diaper over nappy, but that's just me. :giggle:

Does anyone besides UK call them nappies?
I always grew up saying diapers.
I have some friends who say Pampers when referring to diapers but around these parts everyone says diapers / pullups or some people say protection (when too embarrassed to say diapers)

• Haha
Reactions: Angelapinks and NaughtyBoiNathan
SparkyDog said:
Does anyone besides UK call them nappies?
I always grew up saying diapers.
I have some friends who say Pampers when referring to diapers but around these parts everyone says diapers / pullups or some people say protection (when too embarrassed to say diapers)
Australia and New Zealand use nappy.

Reactions: Padded90sKid, SnugglePants and KCA
Monkeypuzzler said:
Australia and New Zealand use nappy.
So those that drive on the other side of the road use nappy
Intresting

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: Padded90sKid, Happy2BeInNappies2, FudgedInLuvs and 1 other person
Angelapinks said:
My dad always told us at bedtime "up the apples & pears" and other wonderful British slang terms we got used to when we were younger.

Side note but cockney rhyming slang is its own thing and it was really only used in London . The supposed origin was that east end gangsters used it so they could communicate without the police understanding them. (Personally I doubt that's true, because the police would figure it out pretty quickly)

Anyway, you don't hear it much these days. The generation that actually used it is nearly dead, it's mostly movies keeping it alive.

Last edited:
dlboylife said:
Well well they do say every day is a school day and thanks to yourself I have learnt something new. 😀

It was always Nappy in my day and our children know them as Nappy or Nappies.
Rubber pants was the outer covering because plastic was not commercially available until much later on, now of course we have Plastic Pants and even newer are all the variations on those such as P.U.L. and the list Goes on.

Reactions: Happy2BeInNappies2, KCA and Angelapinks
Because, you sleep wearing one. 🤪 *totally wrong answer*

• Haha
Reactions: NaughtyBoiNathan
NaughtyBoiNathan said:
does anyone know the reason as to why we refer to Diapers as Nappies?
Nappy is English, diaper is french.

Reactions: NaughtyBoiNathan
Hearing the word nappies is very exciting.

• Haha
Reactions: Angelapinks and Therambler
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back