Guest viewing is limited
  • Guests can only view a limited number of pages. Please log in or register to remove this limit.
  • 5 guest views remaining

Who likes gardening?

PNW509Little said:
I absolutely love gardening. Anything outside working in the warm sunshine and getting back to nature, so relaxing. We have just started hitting our first real freezes the past week and so this past weekend was pulling the plants that are dead and that is probably the most depressing time for gardening. I would really like to get a greenhouse to extend my season and also so I can do starts sooner. We got into bee keeping 2 years ago and this year added our second hive. Its amazing to see the difference for our garden. Our tomato plants for example, probably produced 3x the normal yield and the flowers all look so much better too.
Why do you pull anything in the fall? Insects overwinter in that dead matter, free compost/mulch and helps protect perennial roots. I do nothing except add extra leaves in Fall (and remove any diseased foliage)).

I like some gardening, But i enjoy watering and planting flowers more.

Reactions: KrankyPants and KarmaBaby3
Kittyinpink said:
I love gardening , but for me it's about art. I love making wood chips paths and different styles of roses . Lots of herbs which look pretty and I sometimes use to make soap. Ponds and organic to allow amazing wildlife. I don't actually care when animals/bugs eat my crops . I simply adapt and create something else! I just love the whole creative aspect of gardening and I adore the wild life. I have a very large area to do this..
Love love love - I’m full permaculture, chop/drop gardening, chemical free. my goal is to create a small ecosystem and do my tiny part to help the earth. I only have a small town plot though :( but my front lawn - about 90m2 is now fully perennials/shrubs/apple tree - if it survives the deer over the years ..... already had to change he netting TWICE because they figured it out.

I tried to message you a pic of it but it kept going upside down 😭😭😭 and then it crashed when I tried to send message without pic and I gave up lolol.

if you have any super easy recipes/ways to use like 2 small handfuls of wrinkled rose hips let me know - I haven’t done anything with mine yet and my bushes are finally big enough to produce enough I think I can use some and still leave a bunch for the birdies.

Reactions: Kittyinpink
I'm thinking of planting garlic. I was watching This Old House and they said now is a good time to plant them.

KrankyPants said:
I'm thinking of planting garlic. I was watching This Old House and they said now is a good time to plant them.
I planted some a week ago!! Traded my rosemary I didn’t have room to overwinter for cloves :) now I will have too much if it all takes lolol

• Love
Reactions: KrankyPants
I use the square foot garden method. I also do four season gardening. First in February/March I use milk/water/vinegar containers as mini greenhouses. It is called Winter Sowing. In early Spring I harvest the edible weeds. They are the first up and the bugs leave them alone. In April is the last frost. I plant the lettuces. In May I plant the peppers, tomatoes, squash that I started in the jugs.

when the heat starts, some plants start to bolt and turn bitter, I pull them and plant summer friendly lettuces. Late summer I plant for the fall and winter crops. By November the daylight is less than ten hours so ever has to be full grown. A plastic tunnel extends the harvest when the nights get cold.

kale was my over winter crop last year. A plastic cover kept it from being mush. I have some others that I am trying to over winter.

no year is great. Tomatoes this year were a bust probably due to the excess heat. They were still better than store tomatoes.

everyone can grow something. Even on a balcony if you have some sun. Grow vertically with a strawberry tower. You can grow lettuces and pinch off what you need each day and they grow back.

Attachments

• 5616F6A3-FB67-4946-A0C4-D1CEB939C68C.jpeg
    5616F6A3-FB67-4946-A0C4-D1CEB939C68C.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 1
Seasonedcitizen said:
I use the square foot garden method. I also do four season gardening. First in February/March I use milk/water/vinegar containers as mini greenhouses. It is called Winter Sowing. In early Spring I harvest the edible weeds. They are the first up and the bugs leave them alone. In April is the last frost. I plant the lettuces. In May I plant the peppers, tomatoes, squash that I started in the jugs.

when the heat starts, some plants start to bolt and turn bitter, I pull them and plant summer friendly lettuces. Late summer I plant for the fall and winter crops. By November the daylight is less than ten hours so ever has to be full grown. A plastic tunnel extends the harvest when the nights get cold.

kale was my over winter crop last year. A plastic cover kept it from being mush. I have some others that I am trying to over winter.

no year is great. Tomatoes this year were a bust probably due to the excess heat. They were still better than store tomatoes.

everyone can grow something. Even on a balcony if you have some sun. Grow vertically with a strawberry tower. You can grow lettuces and pinch off what you need each day and they grow back.
Man I wish I could do that but our climate doesn’t allow it :( last frost is end of May but not unusual to have Light frost Through most of June and first frost is beginning to middle of September so gives us about 90 days of growth Max (this year was long though it was great). Lots and lots of covering early in season. And the hail ..... at some point it will be flattened (I clip sheets to the fence over veggies for some protection). I tried WS last year - it was a bit of bust .... I used salad container s and the soil cracked very badly early spring when we got hard frost at night and warm days - lots of seeds germinated and then died. Lupines lasted ok but never grew all summer - we shall see how they do next year. We go from summer to hard frost in 1-2 days so don’t even get the chance to do a fall crop. It’s a hard Unique climate to garden in - I like to call it expert level game

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen
I like to garden, but for flowers rather than things to eat. In no particular order, my favorites are pansies, roses, petunias, marigolds, and mums. They all have looked pretty good this year with the plentiful rains we have experienced.

Reactions: KarmaBaby3
KarmaBaby said:
Love love love - I’m full permaculture, chop/drop gardening, chemical free. my goal is to create a small ecosystem and do my tiny part to help the earth. I only have a small town plot though :( but my front lawn - about 90m2 is now fully perennials/shrubs/apple tree - if it survives the deer over the years ..... already had to change he netting TWICE because they figured it out.

I tried to message you a pic of it but it kept going upside down 😭😭😭 and then it crashed when I tried to send message without pic and I gave up lolol.

if you have any super easy recipes/ways to use like 2 small handfuls of wrinkled rose hips let me know - I haven’t done anything with mine yet and my bushes are finally big enough to produce enough I think I can use some and still leave a bunch for the birdies.
I don't know much about rosehips. Sorry.

KarmaBaby said:
I LOVE playing with foxtail though lololol
Not when you have to pull the seeds out of your socks and shoes

Back