Which came first…

Labrador

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
Been exploring the forum and the different facets of the ABDL community.Not baby for myself, but I notice many of you are. The hybridization of an animal persona and ABDL seems clever and y’all have adorable avatars.
I’m sure the answers will vary, but did you pick your animal first, or did you find your childlike side first? Also wondering if you thought long and hard about which animal to use or had it always been that one? Any of your fursonas carried over from childhood? Inquiring minds want to know! 😀

Reactions: PuppyJames
For me personally I found my animal first and it wasn't in the context of ABDL/Fursona. I actually find my animal spirit when I got my first tattoo. Never wanted a tattoo until one day I'm in a shop with my sister while she's getting one. I happened upon a wolf design and just instantly knew I was gonna get that. Sounds cliché but it spoke to me in a way. From that day on the wolf has always been my spirit animal.

Labrador said:
I’m sure the answers will vary, but did you pick your animal first, or did you find your childlike side first?
ABDL and furry evolved separately in my case, but I've been both for as long as I can remember.

I'm told I had a thing for stuff that made crinkling sounds as a baby, and some of my earliest memories are me either feeling weird about diapers or wanting to continue wearing one despite being encouraged to potty train.

Likewise, I remember as a kid wanting to play as a cat. My best friend and I went through a brief phase in which our moms made tails and capes for us and we pretended to be some kind of feline superhero. It wasn't until my mid teens that I discovered what furry was, at which point I rejected it for religious brainwashing reasons, and then finally got back into it after I learned to accept ABDL.

Labrador said:
Also wondering if you thought long and hard about which animal to use or had it always been that one?
It wasn't long and hard so much as it was a gradual process. Started out as "I'm not a furry, but if I had a fursona out would include these features and exclude these other features". I didn't want it to be a super common animal (fox/wolf/dog/etc) and I didn't want to have to resort to some uncommon hybrid or fantasy species. I'd always thought ferrets were kind of unique, and when I first read about stoats it all kinds of clicked. Crafty, tall/skinny build, zero chill, etc. they even have an easy to draw color pattern (white with black tailtip) which was one of the items on my checklist.

Reactions: Labrador
irnub said:
ABDL and furry evolved separately in my case, but I've been both for as long as I can remember.

I'm told I had a thing for stuff that made crinkling sounds as a baby, and some of my earliest memories are me either feeling weird about diapers or wanting to continue wearing one despite being encouraged to potty train.

Likewise, I remember as a kid wanting to play as a cat. My best friend and I went through a brief phase in which our moms made tails and capes for us and we pretended to be some kind of feline superhero. It wasn't until my mid teens that I discovered what furry was, at which point I rejected it for religious brainwashing reasons, and then finally got back into it after I learned to accept ABDL.

It wasn't long and hard so much as it was a gradual process. Started out as "I'm not a furry, but if I had a fursona out would include these features and exclude these other features". I didn't want it to be a super common animal (fox/wolf/dog/etc) and I didn't want to have to resort to some uncommon hybrid or fantasy species. I'd always thought ferrets were kind of unique, and when I first read about stoats it all kinds of clicked. Crafty, tall/skinny build, zero chill, etc. they even have an easy to draw color pattern (white with black tailtip) which was one of the items on my checklist.
That’s cute about the feline superheroes; sounds like you had fun!
I’m Christian myself, and I don’t think dressing like an animal and having an animal alter ego is a sin in itself. Not sure why you were taught that it was. I have an animal alter ego but not so far as to consider myself a furry. Nowadays it’s more of an inside joke in my family.
I think a stoat is a good choice, definitely unique!

Labrador said:
Been exploring the forum and the different facets of the ABDL community.Not baby for myself, but I notice many of you are. The hybridization of an animal persona and ABDL seems clever and y’all have adorable avatars.
I’m sure the answers will vary, but did you pick your animal first, or did you find your childlike side first? Also wondering if you thought long and hard about which animal to use or had it always been that one? Any of your fursonas carried over from childhood? Inquiring minds want to know! 😀
For me personally, I am a therian (cynan), not a furry. I own a fursuit, go to cons and make furry art, but I choose not to use the label simply because I am a therian (cynan) and the two overlap for me.

I knew I was a therian since I was only 10, but I experienced some traumatic events when I was a kid that eventually led to regression and incontinence as a teen. I didn't really discover "babyfur" until I was in high school still. I am very happy that I did though :)

I didn't get to choose my identity unfortunately, but the character I adapted it to took me almost 3 years to perfect! Since then, I've made a few others such as coyotes, horses, birds and ponies like Hellboy. The only fursona that carried over since childhood is the one of my theriotype.

Last edited:
Labrador said:
I’m Christian myself, and I don’t think dressing like an animal and having an animal alter ego is a sin in itself. Not sure why you were taught that it was.
I didn't think that part was, I thought the tendency for furries to be LGBT and generally sex-positive was a sin. But also it was just some good old fashioned wanting to punch down at a group of people because I was a stupid teenager.

Reactions: Labrador
I guess that makes sense. And its unusual and not widely discussed so that mysteriousness probably doesn’t help either. Changing trends can feel threatening to people with a more traditional worldview.

Little side first, by like 30 years. :) It wasn't until I joined ADISC and saw all the cute, diapered furs that I became interested in the Fandom and in fursonas. A fursona seemed like a great answer to the challenge of creating a "little" identity for myself online--a way to embrace the unfortunate necessity of remaining anonymous and have a little fun while doing it.

As for species, that was almost accidental: On some bags of Pampers you'll find little picture of a diapered bunny asleep on the moon. On a whim I decided to make that my profile picture, and I selected Cottontail as my username. "Cottontail" was a silly double reference, firstly to the Pampers bunny, and secondly to the fact that I mostly wear cloth (cotton) diapers. Anyway, the bunny and the name stuck, and when I began thinking seriously about a fursona years later, I realized that I sort of already had one. I just needed to flesh it out.

Last edited:
ABDL side came first for me, then after I heard about the Furry fandom from a friend, I researched it, then the Babyfur/Diaperfur side of it and it all went from there.

I remember stealing my brothers diapers when I was 3 or 4 so definitely the diaper side came first.

Diapers came first, years of exposure to ABDL R34 gradually morphed me into a full-fledged furry.

Technically for me the regression came first since I’ve been doing it ever since I was 14/15 when it became “weird” to play with toys and be childish still, I had to get rid of all of my toys, but I still “babied” myself in my head and still had the thoughts, then I joined the furry fandom when I was 16! I’ve pretty much always been either a cat or a bunny tbh I just think they’re both so cute!!! For the past year I’ve been a bunny though because I feel like they’re personalities match up a little more with my own and they’re cuuuuute!!!

Reactions: Cottontail and PaddedRita
Labrador said:
I've been a furry since The Lion King came out in '94. And despite experimenting with a few different fursonas over the years I settled on being a cat (of various description) rather quickly as it seemed to click.

Along side this I have always used a pacifier and had soft toys while sleeping (hidden from my parents when younger cos they thought they'd managed to ween me off it haha! ) So I have always had a little bit of little (sorry that sounds so silly) in my soul!

The lightbulb moment came about ten years ago when I received a new adult pacifier after having worn my others out. - Yet in the box was a free diaper sample/ It was plain white - plastic backed and quite thick but other than that I have no idea which brand it was.
Feeling rather guilty and a little bit silly I actually put it aside for a few days - hidden in a drawer.

Then one night.. I put it on just to ... see - you know what I mean?
That was the trigger pull. Everything clicked into place in the synapses and at that moment I became the superhero babyfur you see before you!!! (I'm embellishing a bit there) . But seriously that was the moment something clicked in my brain and I realised I'd been a babyfur all along!

Fun fact - I literally do not own underwear these days - at least non-disposable ones. :D E67oiEmXMAsnosB.jpg

Reactions: Cottontail
ToddlerKitten said:
I've been a furry since The Lion King came out in '94. And despite experimenting with a few different fursonas over the years I settled on being a cat (of various description) rather quickly as it seemed to click.

Along side this I have always used a pacifier and had soft toys while sleeping (hidden from my parents when younger cos they thought they'd managed to ween me off it haha! ) So I have always had a little bit of little (sorry that sounds so silly) in my soul!

The lightbulb moment came about ten years ago when I received a new adult pacifier after having worn my others out. - Yet in the box was a free diaper sample/ It was plain white - plastic backed and quite thick but other than that I have no idea which brand it was.
Feeling rather guilty and a little bit silly I actually put it aside for a few days - hidden in a drawer.

Then one night.. I put it on just to ... see - you know what I mean?
That was the trigger pull. Everything clicked into place in the synapses and at that moment I became the superhero babyfur you see before you!!! (I'm embellishing a bit there) . But seriously that was the moment something clicked in my brain and I realised I'd been a babyfur all along!

Fun fact - I literally do not own underwear these days - at least non-disposable ones. :D View attachment 114249
That’s so interesting!!! It sounds like you’re having a great time!!!

Reactions: ToddlerKitten
Abdl side first for me, came out of diapers and almost immediately wanted to be back in them but was afraid to ask for it because was afraid of some of my family. Was envious of my younger cousins that wore when at family gatherings (I'm talking like they were 0-3 at the time I was around 9-11. Occassionally would try to use the trash bag method at home sometimes to make my own but almost got caught sveral times so got scared and I also felt like there was something wrong with me (didn't know their were others like me yet). After a few years when I was old enough for my first job and a college student, my brothers were at out of state colleges, and my family often rarely altogether that's when I allowed myself to accept those feelings again and resume diaper stuff which I had not done for a while. Then also found adisc which helped me understand better.

As far as furry, I kind of always had this feeling of a stronger bond then most with animals both real and fictious and I always was and still am an animal lover and I was also and still am into neopets. I didn't know what furry was at the time but I eventually stumbled across the site for anthrocon which explained what furry was and I was like that's very similar to what I feel and inspired me to explore it and embrace that side of me further. Around the same time I was really into the anime mew mew power and other shows that featured characters that many would qualify fitting into the furry genre and always found myself wishing I could be like them but afraid to be. It was either middle school or high school I had a friend (who later told me they were a furry) ask me about it because they said they realized I watched a lot of that stuff and played a lot of animal crossing new leaf and in new leaf I could play it and talk to my villagers for hours. I told them possibly but really what they asked just further confirmed what I already thought, that the answer was yes. That was what gave me inspiration to explore the furry world deeper and eventually my fursonas. I guess for me abdl did come first but also to some extent it's like they both were always interrelated for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToddlerKitten and Cottontail
I don't really have an animal side as such and my AB side is quite new which I'm still exploring. However if I was to choose an animal side it would definitely be a doggy persona. I have always loved dogs, since my early childhood, more than any other animal for many reasons so this would seem a natural choice for me. As far as incorporating it into my overall persona it would only seem natural to include it within a femdom d/s dynamic rather than to combine it with my ab side. Both would be quite newish for me but the ab side came first I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToddlerKitten
Back