Where you are, do strangers talk to each other?

Cottontail said:
We tell our kids that their headphones have to stay at home or in the car, as otherwise it’s like walking around with a Shut Up/Don’t Talk To Me t-shirt on.
I know it's a bit off-topic, but it really scares me when I'm driving and I see kids with their headphones on just crossing over roads without even looking out for traffic - presumably because they can't hear anything apart from what's coming through their headphones!

Reactions: TrashPanda01 and Cottontail
I live in buckinghamshire and most of the people round here are too busy rushing around and worrying about there mortgage to say hello. but I'm retired, (took early retirement) and I've done all my rushing around. I just watch others do it. the only time really that people are sociable is in the pub after a few drinks.

I live in Spain. Here is very normal to speak with strangers.

In my country, Hungary, it depends on the generation and size of city. The more elders, the more speaking with strangers. The farthet away from the capital, the more speaking. I remember my grandmother, when she visited us and travelled by train for 2 hours, she was speaking all the way with strangers. But there are some special situation where youngers do it, for example playground when all the adults take care of their children and start speaking with each other and some sport activity, jogging or hiking or body building.

Tomtomthedl said:
I live in the south (USA). Everybody talks to everybody. sometimes this is a good thing sometimes it's not. you better open the door for the person behind you as you walk into a building.😆 It's proper adequate around here. But to answer your question it's nothing to talk to strangers around here, happens all the time.
That’s what I call Southern hospitality,
I live in the Midwest and people are arrogant and snobby. I’ve had a good experience in Texas the one time I was there and the groups of people are more diverse in an ethnic sense then the coastal and Midwest regions.

Reactions: KBoy and Tomtomthedl
Jbo said:
That’s what I call Southern hospitality,
I live in the Midwest and people are arrogant and snobby. I’ve had a good experience in Texas the one time I was there and the groups of people are more diverse in an ethnic sense then the coastal and Midwest regions.
Oh I agree 100%. I love the southern hospitality that we have in my area. I have lived in the Upper Midwest for 2 years in my life so I have been to Northern towns and seen the difference. I did say sometimes it is a good / bad thing with folks talking but I would take southern hospitality any day of the week.

• Love
Reactions: KBoy and Jbo
Zeke said:
If you’re hoping to find yourself where strangers talk to one another you must first be willing to make the first move and say the first thing.
It is so very true! I just one of those odd folks that believe the that my glass is always near full and saying hello to others is just standard fair with me! Yup, a big smile and holding a door open for a lady and older folks is just my lifestyle. Talking commonly follows.

Last edited:
Reactions: KBoy, Rusher and Zeke
Diaperman95 said:
Very seldom. Most the time if you tell them hello.. they give you a go to hell look and act like you just threatened to burn their first born baby at the stake!!!!! Personally I just like to see their response!!!!!!!!!!!Lol
Possible that 'T' shirt with the statement: "I Kill Kittens" may not be helping!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Diaperman95
I live in the Great White North of the USA and find that most folks enjoy an interaction with others! After all we can always talk about the changeable weather!!

Reactions: KBoy and Zeke
Edgewater said:
It is so very true! I just one of those odd folks that believe the that my glass is always near full and saying hello to others is just standard fair with me! Yup, a big smile and holding a door open for a lady and older folks is just my lifestyle. Talking commonly follows.
There’s something about giving others a smile and receiving smiles from others that makes the day just that much better and it didn’t cost you, or them, anything. If we were aware of how very good we have it compared with others around the world maybe we wouldn’t take it all for granted and continue complaining about what we don’t have. I’ve learned that possessions possess a few times in my life but looking in my garage I believe it may be time for a review. Even our poor in this Country have so much compared with what much of the world has but we always seem to want more.

Reactions: Edgewater
Edgewater said:
Possible that 'T' shirt with the statement: "I Kill Kittens" may not be helping!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Does it have a photo on it of Diaperman holding a gunnysack, tied shut, full of kittens, over the bridge railing, and ready to drop them in a fast moving stream? That would set of the PETA alarms!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Edgewater and KBoy
Zeke said:
There’s something about giving others a smile and receiving smiles from others that makes the day just that much better and it didn’t cost you, or them, anything. If we were aware of how very good we have it compared with others around the world maybe we wouldn’t take it all for granted and continue complaining about what we don’t have. I’ve learned that possessions possess a few times in my life but looking in my garage I believe it may be time for a review. Even our poor in this Country have so much compared with what much of the world has but we always seem to want more.
Just yesterday I was in an elevator in a hospital in Auckland. Four of us, minding our own business looking a bit glum and a young couple got in. The man just said “Good morning everyone” of course we all responded, but it lifted everyone in the elevator and when he got out at the next floor the rest of us started smiling and nattering at eachother, quite made my day. Yes, I speak to strangers!

Reactions: Edgewater and Zeke
messydiaper said:
New England states in the US get a bad rap and southerners sometimes report that Bostonians and New Yorkers are rude. I live in the "northern most southern state," Indiana. We are also called midwest, but probably have more in common with Kentucky than with Michigan.

People here are fairly friendly and will start up conversations, but what really surprised me were my visits to the east coast, specifically Boston, New York, and Maine. By far the friendliest people I've encountered! I could move there and I think I'd be very happy with the friendliness.
I would agree on the bad rap. They may be blunt or a bit gruff but always friendly. Canada is friendly too, which surprised me, because I've been to France and thought Canda would be more like that, but they were all very nice.
I was traveling aboard and a tour guide asked me why I was smiling at people...🤷‍♀️ I was just pumped and happy....so cultures are very different.

Reactions: KBoy, Reward and messydiaper
Teddy02 said:
Just yesterday I was in an elevator in a hospital in Auckland. Four of us, minding our own business looking a bit glum and a young couple got in. The man just said “Good morning everyone” of course we all responded, but it lifted everyone in the elevator and when he got out at the next floor the rest of us started smiling and nattering at eachother, quite made my day. Yes, I speak to strangers!
Yep, it’s hard to expect others to make the first move if you’re not willing to step out and make the first move yourself and to speak with those who you encounter. It’s not going to cause you permanent damage if they don’t respond when you do but 9 times out of 10 people will respond kindly, especially if those words came from a mouth with a smile.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater, Teddy02 and messydiaper
Edgewater said:
you miss read it... It says " I see dead kittens" lol

• Love
Reactions: Zeke and Edgewater
Just like John Cougar Mellencamp, I live in a small town in Indiana. People are generally friendly around here, but rarely do strangers talk. I work at a grocery store and am around people all the time and it amazes me how many people are so focused on what they are doing they don't even seem to notice you are even there. Even if a I am about to run over them with a huge cart I am pushing lol.

Reactions: KBoy, Diaperman95 and Edgewater
Well ... regarding your outfit ... I visited once a shopping center in the princess Elsa stuff like t-shirt and shoes. No one spoke to me, but there was a lot of whispering. (To be clear I'm physicaly a man.)

TeeMousy said:
Just like John Cougar Mellencamp, I live in a small town in Indiana. People are generally friendly around here, but rarely do strangers talk. I work at a grocery store and am around people all the time and it amazes me how many people are so focused on what they are doing they don't even seem to notice you are even there. Even if a I am about to run over them with a huge cart I am pushing lol.
sadly most of thems focus is no better when driving. I am so glad I gave up truck driving. I do not have the patience I once had to not give them the 80,000lb enema when they pulled out infront of me if driving today!!!! lol

• Haha
Reactions: Edgewater, Tom29303 and TeeMousy
80,000 lb enema... :ROFLMAO: . I used very patient, but even mine has been tried a lot lately it seems.

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater and Diaperman95
Hello.. I live in the USA Spartanburg, SC … really looking forward to meeting people near me to talk and even plan a meeting.. message or email me .. I am UI.. wear protection 24/7 definitely wear when I leave the house..

Back