When you were an older kid

iampadded said:
Growing up I knew many 10 year olds that still had rubber sheets on their bed "just in case"
This was the closest I ever came to "knowing" if another friend still wet the bed at night. That and seeing a pair of plastic underpants in a laundry basket. Around age 8 I really wanted to met other kids my age that had to wear protection at night but never really knew of anyone but always wondered about a friend's house that had a plastic sheet on their bed. A few times I recall the convenient "I have the plastic sheet on my bed so if I spill any drink on it the mattress won't get stained". I used that line once when a friend asked me why I still had a plastic mattress cover on my bed at age 10. In my neighborhood and family we just did not discuss it much though I thought it somewhat "normal" for a boy to wear plastic underpants at night for occasional accidents even being 8 yo.

I wore pull ups until I was 10. I never went to friends houses or had sleep overs growing up purely due to my toilet use issues. My worst nightmare was being at a friend's and wetting or soiling myself so friends always came to mine. I felt a lot more comfortable in my own environment. As far as I'm aware none of them knew I was wearing a pull up around them. My Mum put the packs with the towels in a hamper in the bathroom when friends came over so I could go to bathroom and change without having to grab a pull up from my room. As I had a younger sister if they were discovered I'd try and pass them off as hers despite clearly being for boys but thankfully it never happened. There was one occasion that I remember where my friend and I were playing computer games in my room and I wet my pull up. I was about 8 years old and I don't think my friend noticed however my Mum came into the room to see if we wanted any drinks and called me out. She told me she could smell urine and asked me if I was wet. She told me to change in the bathroom and she opened the window.

I remember having a sleepover and two of my friends came over from church to spend the night. They were both in diapers. It was as funny as it was exciting.

Babybear2006 said:
When I was in the 4th grade I had a friend who has down syndrome and was in special education classes with me. We both knew each other wore diapers. I spent the night at his house one night and his mom put a diaper on him and I went to put my pullup on. When we went to bed he saw my pullup and told his mom about it. She asked if I still had to bedwetting problems and I told her that I had a goodnites on but she put me in a regular diaper instead. I know that he still wears them now.

Just wondering, do you have Autism Spectrum Disorder? I have Classic Autism. Unfortunately I never got the help I needed and I was never in Special Ed, I was mainstreamed all the way. I think that was a real disservice to me. I've had friends who are higher functioning than me that did get Special Ed, and are more advanced than me for sure, and have come much farther than me, including being able to drive a car. I have a college degree, but I'm a lot more disabled than some of my friends with ASD are, who have a higher emotional / social age than me (like a 12 year old, versus me being more like a 4 1/2 year old, emotionally and socially). Little or nothing was known about Autism when I was a little kid in the early to mid 1980s though, and sadly I was just thought to be a willfully disobedient child who didn't follow directions willfully, instead of not following directions because I wasn't paying attention because I have Autism and ADHD. After I kept being punished, but never changed, I think a few teachers finally realized I couldn't help myself and that I wasn't being a bad child.

By the way, can you still fit into Pull Ups? Can your friend with Down Syndrome? Or do you both wear Goodnites or adult diapers now? How old is your DS buddy?

- longallsboy

Last edited:
longallsboy said:
Just wondering, do you have Autism Spectrum Disorder? I have Classic Autism. Unfortunately I never got the help I needed and I was never in Special Ed, I was mainstreamed all the way. I think that was a real disservice to me. I've had friends who are higher functioning than me that did get Special Ed, and are more advanced than me for sure, and have come much farther than me, including being able to drive a car. I have a college degree, but I'm a lot more disabled than some of my friends with ASD are, who have a higher emotional / social age than me (like a 12 year old, versus me being more like a 4 1/2 year old, emotionally and socially). Little or nothing was known about Autism when I was a little kid in the early to mid 1980s though, and sadly I was just thought to be a willfully disobedient child who didn't follow directions willfully, instead of not following directions because I wasn't paying attention because I have Autism and ADHD. After I kept being punished, but never changed, I think a few teachers finally realized I couldn't help myself and that I wasn't being a bad child.

By the way, can you still fit into Pull Ups? Can your friend with Down Syndrome? Or do you both wear Goodnites or adult diapers now? How old is your DS buddy?

- longallsboy
Yes I have high functioning autism and a speech impediment causing me to stutter sometimes. We are both in our 30s. I grew out of goodnites when I was 13 and had to start wearing adult diapers and pullups. He also wears adult pullups.

• Thinking
Reactions: longallsboy
EagleBoy said:
When you were an older kid and you went to your friends house or your friend came over to your house and you saw your friend wearing diapers.
Did you wear diapers around him/her for respect of your friendship?
Did you talk to your parents into letting you wear diapers again?
or
Did you start wetting you pants and your bed hoping your parents will let you start wearing diapers again or make you start wearing diapers again?
I didn’t grow up wetting the bed, definitely grew up wanting to wear diapers whether it was too wet at night or not. I do remember two different friends who did wet the bed but we never talked about it, don’t think they ever knew I noticed. I was embarrassed if they found out I wanted to wear it and I figured they were embarrassed they had to wear diapers, plus what if some how my parents found out. When I first saw their goodnites I immediately started thinking of ways to get one to wear, but i never had a good chance to snag one. I eventually got older and got some for myself, putting a small pack into my backpack and walking out of the store. Eventually my parents caught me, but they actually bought me some diapers for a while. I still wish I had more opportunities to wear when I was younger. Glad I’m not incontinent though, but I definitely wish I bed wet when I was the tween age wearing goodnites to bed.

I had some random wet nights from toddlerhood to about 12 and had a white plastic sheet on my bed. At about 7/8 I discovered my best friend was a bedwetter and wore cloth nappies and plastic pats to bed, and had a red rubber sheet on his bed. He knew I liked plastic pants and we talked about it quite a lot. I was once at his house when he had his evening bath and in the room when he was nappied by his mum. His mum knew I liked/was fascinated by nappies and she also bought me my first plastic pants since I was a toddler. They were Brumas extra extra large child size as in my profile pic. For whatever reason sleepovers were not a thing in my younger childhood unless the family was staying with friends - you 'stayed to tea' then went home nearer bedtime.

At around 10, the school organized a "green week". It was a week at the countryside with all the kids.
We were between 25 and 30 and sleeping in one boys and one girls dormitory.
But there was a special room for some of them. 4 beds, 4 kids...
They didn't explained why there was a special room but I went inside with one on my classmate and when I sit on the bed, I understood immediately, there was someting crinckly... Some of my friends were bedwetter.
I whish I could be with them but knew it was impossible. I never talked about it with them.
4 out of 30! It was more than 10%!
When my kids went to scouts or any outdoor school activity (up to 12 yo), as parents we had to fill health documents.
One paragraph was about enuresis... Do your child suffer of enuresis? Do they need diapers/pull-ups? Are they independent ?
It shows how frequent it is...

• Wow
Reactions: TigerDL
None of my friends were bedwetter as far as I know I was the only one in class

TabaCrate said:
At around 10, the school organized a "green week". It was a week at the countryside with all the kids.
We were between 25 and 30 and sleeping in one boys and one girls dormitory.
But there was a special room for some of them. 4 beds, 4 kids...
They didn't explained why there was a special room but I went inside with one on my classmate and when I sit on the bed, I understood immediately, there was someting crinckly... Some of my friends were bedwetter.
I whish I could be with them but knew it was impossible. I never talked about it with them.
4 out of 30! It was more than 10%!
When my kids went to scouts or any outdoor school activity (up to 12 yo), as parents we had to fill health documents.
One paragraph was about enuresis... Do your child suffer of enuresis? Do they need diapers/pull-ups? Are they independent ?
It shows how frequent it is...
My mom would always check the bedwetting box on my scout physical and send pullups with me

Its an interesting thought but no one I really knew was in diapers at an older age. cousins, siblings and friends my age all seemed to be well potty trained. So I never really had that opportunity to say, wear with friends.

Not me or anyone I knew of. Id sneak whatever I could and induldge in secret but never needed them or knew anyone who did. Closest thing was somewhere between 6th and 8th grade I think like 10-12 yo I visited the home of a friend/classmate that happened to be down the street from me.

He had a younger brother that was somewhere between 7-9. At some point he must have had an accident or something because he disappeared and I recall hearing adults conversing from a back room in a semi panic state, something like "hurry up, there's pee running down his leg!" or something like that. I was long secretly into DL at that point so that perked my ears right up immediately.

My attention shifted to what was clearly a open package of diapers after one of the adults fetched something in one of the common area rooms. I vividly remember it as the first time I would see something that looked like medical or adult style diapers. Looked like XS or S Attends or something similar, plain white with more than 2 tabs and yellow stripes down the middle, clearly much bigger than baby diapers or the largest size pullups. It occurred to me this otherwise normal 7-9 yr old boy that hung around with us all day wore full on plastic tape tab diapers for whatever reason and I instantly became secretly green with envy.

Time slowed down and my mind raced having become aware for the first time of real plastic tape on diapers, bigger than pullups or baby diapers, that would actually fit someone in my age range properly. I had serious tunnel vision and attempted to secretly glance at the package repeatedly, determine their brand, size, etc. and even plotted the possibility of sneaking one later in the day if the opportunity presented itself. eg say I needed to use the bathroom or something and run inside alone when nobody was in that room.

Unfortunately the opportunity never came. My classmate and his other family members must have been extremely embarrassed by what transpired with the shouting and little brother as we were all hastily ushered outside to hang out in the back yard for the rest of the day. It was the first, last, and only time I ever stepped foot inside the house. I hung around all day hoping we'd eventually go back inside or that they'd let me in for 'a glass of water' or to 'use the bathroom' or something but was denied at every try. It was like 'pee in the tree over there' and 'drink from the hose outside' or 'stay here Ill go get it for you'. They really didn't want to go back inside after what had happened. We were more classmates than close friends so I only ever even hung out at his place maybe 2 or 3 times total.

I could not stop thinking and fantasizing about those diapers or being in the little brother's shoes for a very very long time.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Rezzu and TigerDL
Another childhood friend, this time a close long term friend I still have contact with, had a special needs step brother in the house. That would be my first intro to the then new Good Nites when it was initially only two sizes. The adults would be out of the house frequently on work or errands and the nurse on shift that cared for the brother full time would often take him out on strolls or shopping and stuff. And they always had a huge armoire stacked in the largest size Good Nites, eventually up to the original XL when they first came out.

They became close neighbors and family friends too at the time so I'd find myself staying over if my parents had to go out of town or something, even if my friend wasn't in town.

I found myself alone in that house often and it would become a safe and reliable early source for my uh...obsession... for quite some time. 🫣

Last edited:
My cousin was a nightly bedwetter and my aunt kept him in nappies at night until he stopped wetting the bed in his mid teens.

LittleAndAlone said:
Not me or anyone I knew of. Id sneak whatever I could and induldge in secret but never needed them or knew anyone who did. Closest thing was somewhere between 6th and 8th grade I think like 10-12 yo I visited the home of a friend/classmate that happened to be down the street from me.

He had a younger brother that was somewhere between 7-9. At some point he must have had an accident or something because he disappeared and I recall hearing adults conversing from a back room in a semi panic state, something like "hurry up, there's pee running down his leg!" or something like that. I was long secretly into DL at that point so that perked my ears right up immediately.

My attention shifted to what was clearly a open package of diapers after one of the adults fetched something in one of the common area rooms. I vividly remember it as the first time I would see something that looked like medical or adult style diapers. Looked like XS or S Attends or something similar, plain white with more than 2 tabs and yellow stripes down the middle, clearly much bigger than baby diapers or the largest size pullups. It occurred to me this otherwise normal 7-9 yr old boy that hung around with us all day wore full on plastic tape tab diapers for whatever reason and I instantly became secretly green with envy.

Time slowed down and my mind raced having become aware for the first time of real plastic tape on diapers, bigger than pullups or baby diapers, that would actually fit someone in my age range properly. I had serious tunnel vision and attempted to secretly glance at the package repeatedly, determine their brand, size, etc. and even plotted the possibility of sneaking one later in the day if the opportunity presented itself. eg say I needed to use the bathroom or something and run inside alone when nobody was in that room.

Unfortunately the opportunity never came. My classmate and his other family members must have been extremely embarrassed by what transpired with the shouting and little brother as we were all hastily ushered outside to hang out in the back yard for the rest of the day. It was the first, last, and only time I ever stepped foot inside the house. I hung around all day hoping we'd eventually go back inside or that they'd let me in for 'a glass of water' or to 'use the bathroom' or something but was denied at every try. It was like 'pee in the tree over there' and 'drink from the hose outside' or 'stay here Ill go get it for you'. They really didn't want to go back inside after what had happened. We were more classmates than close friends so I only ever even hung out at his place maybe 2 or 3 times total.

I could not stop thinking and fantasizing about those diapers or being in the little brother's shoes for a very very long time.
Oh yeah. Among the many dirty jokes and random topics and personal trivia we passed the time with in the back yard, at some point I inquired about everyone's ages. I volunteered mine and my siblings ages to provoke a similarly formatted response. Seems like a normal honest thing kids ask about right? Of course my mind was in one place only for the rest of the day. So it was just setup and pretext to discretely and all inclusively also ask and discover how old the diapered brother was without arousing suspicion or giving away my intently focused interest in 'that'. Smooth. I vaguely recall hearing 9 now thinking about it.

Last edited:
Back