When you consider quitting a hobby

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
So I started collecting Dragonball Super Tcg cards around when they were new to the market, now around 2+ years later some people have quit, some new people have joined it, some of the old players/collectors do come back at times.

It's going pretty strong and Bandai (as the Manufacturer) is planning on continuing for several more sets

But lately there has been one huge problem

People want to buy a newly released set (me included) and there is a severe shortage of the new cards, those that have them and have pulled the right cards can sell pretty easily right now for high prices

But most of the cards seem to be at pretty typical prices and the market is between stages right now

There was a bunch of people rushing to buy cards right after pre-release when some people got the new cards early; well of course I live and work in an area with no card shops and the event was on a Friday so I wasn't one of the lucky ones

So when they actually released I was able to go to a bigger city, see what was available (not much) and I had hoped to make some sales

Of course what ended up happening is in this slump I made no sales; so now I gotta question if this is how they are gonna handle it I may end up quitting because usually I can buy some packs, pull most of everything, sell extras and do halfway decent

But when the cards arent available, I cant buy, and I cant sell what little I can find it is tempting to give up on the hobby, keep what I have and if prices climb high enough then quit completely

DanielW said:
If you keep what you have long enough and in good condition, eventually it will be worth something. Things have a way of coming back into popularity again after the initial fad wears off. I did that, with magic the gathering. IF I would have been patient (like 4 years) I would have had some valuable cards - I ended up giving them all away instead.

I don't play and all my Holographics get sleeved right after I open up my packs and I have everything extra (besides Holographics) set aside in storage totes;

I try to do something with the extra cards that are worth selling because in that way I can re-invest that money to try to get closer to a complete card collection and while everything will likely have some value a lot of the cards arent likely to go up too much

But it is a hobby I enjoy; when I can buy what I want to buy and sell/trade my extra stuff

But the current situation with the newest release is a major Turn Off; it seems that what happened was Shops had complained there was too much product of the last 2 General Release sets and they ended up unable to sell a lot of it

So the requested a smaller release this time around so they could sell it all.

Of course it's just an (educated) theory; idk if really true or not.

Had this been a few months down the line I would be alright with that; but there shouldn't be a supply problem so early on (the day of/after release).

So far the only cards going way up in value are 5 cards from a limited print set, which fortunately I have set aside, so that is kinda cool

Hobbies are supposed to be fun, of course, so if you're not enjoying something, maybe it's time to put it on ice for a bit. Let other interests step in. I'm always trying to juggle too many hobbies, and switching between them sometimes gets me down--like I'm abandoning something or giving up. But that seldom actually happens. Much more often, after break, I come back with a renewed appreciation for whatever it was, and end up having fun with it again. Rinse and repeat.

Cottontail said:
Hobbies are supposed to be fun, of course, so if you're not enjoying something, maybe it's time to put it on ice for a bit. Let other interests step in. I'm always trying to juggle too many hobbies, and switching between them sometimes gets me down--like I'm abandoning something or giving up. But that seldom actually happens. Much more often, after break, I come back with a renewed appreciation for whatever it was, and end up having fun with it again. Rinse and repeat.

Yeah, it just sucks that everyone in the hobby group I'm in seems to be in a state of not buying the new set; unless its specific high rarity (low pull rate) cards (or special pre-release stamped promos)

If I had any clue that things were gonna turn out like this I wouldn't have even bothered buying any of these new cards

It shouldnt be like this, but Bandai apparently handled the release all wrong so it is what it is I guess

Last edited:
Sorry but I've been there and done that with MTG and the whole thing is just a scheme to make people buy more cards - OK so a few people can make something of a living trading cards but it's just not worth it, they control the supply, the rarity, they can (and do) release newer cooler cards that kill the value of your existing collection, etc. etc.

And sure maaaaybe if you have a vast stash of cards and sit on it for 10+ years maaaybe it will come back in fashion and maaaybe the value might go up, but if you'd just sold up and put they money in the bank (or not spent it on cards in the 1st place) you'd have more money and wouldn't have wasted a load of time running round chasing little bits of cardboard.

Sorry but it is NOT and never will be an investment - if you don't enjoy the game for its own sake, just get out of it and live your life.

RubberJin said:
Sorry but I've been there and done that with MTG and the whole thing is just a scheme to make people buy more cards - OK so a few people can make something of a living trading cards but it's just not worth it, they control the supply, the rarity, they can (and do) release newer cooler cards that kill the value of your existing collection, etc. etc.

And sure maaaaybe if you have a vast stash of cards and sit on it for 10+ years maaaybe it will come back in fashion and maaaybe the value might go up, but if you'd just sold up and put they money in the bank (or not spent it on cards in the 1st place) you'd have more money and wouldn't have wasted a load of time running round chasing little bits of cardboard.

Sorry but it is NOT and never will be an investment - if you don't enjoy the game for its own sake, just get out of it and live your life.

I'm not expecting it to be a 100% value retainer, it is something I normally enjoy, but when a set JUST got released and the next day it is already sold out because a lot of the product the shops should have is somehow delayed in shipping?

If they can set aside a bunch of products to do events a week ahead of time they should have plenty to sell on the actual release date, no excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back