What's the appeal of plastic-backed diapers for you?

The main pluses are the lower friction against inner thighs(cloth tends to form wool and then wool tends to tangle with hair and pull it), the lower tendency to sagging (and generally coming loose) and the better odor control.
With cloth backed, I usually have to add plastic pants to acheive something similar.

Last edited:
Sealander said:
Cloth-backed I generally find more comfortable. Less chafing on the thighs and so on.
That is the same problem I have, even though I have skinny arms, my legs have a bit more girth that plastic-backed ones can cause more irritation, especially the waddle-cut Tykables (otherwise love them for when I don’t need to be active). 🤔

Reactions: Sealander
Smoothness, crinkle sounds, strength from being plastic backed.

• Love
Reactions: Ortler and BobbiSueEllen
For me growing up in the 90's wearing vintage Luvs and Huggies, I definitely prefer plastic for several reasons:

• Texture of the smooth plastic (prefer them over the diamond ones or textured microdiamonds a lot of plastic diapers have now)
  • Plastic holds in smells better in my experience.
  • Plastic doesn't kick out/grab cloth underpads when sliding into bed
  • Plastic crinkle sound is what I love most about them. It evokes memories of childhood innocence for me.
  • Plastic ones clump differently in my experience, maybe this one's just me.
  • Plastic ones are easier to tear holes in for to double diaper. Modifying clothlike textured baby diapers for stuffers/doublers by carefully removing the leg guards and clothlike backing is a chore.
  • Plastic ones don't "leak" gently or fog up your plastic pants like clothlike diapers do, unless they tend to have tiny holes in them due to the absorbent crystals poking through like the Unique Wellness diapers seemed to do when I last tried them years ago.

Reactions: Calix and BobbiSueEllen
It reminds me of diapers in my childhood, I also love the smooth feel of the plastic when i rub the outside of the diaper and also just logistically, they hold liquids better

Reactions: Ortler, Pelusos, Deleted member 76288 and 1 other person
katierichards7777 said:
It reminds me of diapers in my childhood, I also love the smooth feel of the plastic when i rub the outside of the diaper and also just logistically, they hold liquids better
Omg yes the feeling of a plastic backed diaper that is completely saturated is completely out of the world especially when you start massaging it. Omg yes please

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Oh, God. The sound. The feel. The sound and the feel of a plastic-backed diaper are everything to me. Cloth-backed are good, don't get me wrong (and Little Kings are currently one of my absolute favourite dips) but nothing tops plastic-backed. I literally got butterflies in my stomach seeing this thread title.

Reactions: Pelusos, Ortler and BobbiSueEllen
AlwaysInDiapers said:
I think for me, it is the pretty designs that you can now get on plastic backed diapers, but the best part is the crinkle they make. I also wear plastic pants pretty much all of the time for that added protection, and the noise they both make is always fun. I think, knowing others can hear is exciting. I’m sure many people have wondered what that noise was but others who are diaper lovers like myself know. It has, on occasion opened up conversations with people when I have been out shopping or doing something in public.
How do those conversations go?

They feel good and they work. Sums it up for me.

• Love
Reactions: Ortler and BobbiSueEllen
The touch, definitely the touch, and I hate how plastic-backed diapers sag.

Last edited:
My preference for plastic backed is that they are more comfortable for active wear use. Cloth backed tend to chafe more for me. The only time I switch to cloth backed is for a few weeks of the hotter summer months and also for Dr. visits.

First adult diapers I bought were cloth back because when I was in middle school the only diapers I could get were pampers size 6 & 7 or goodnights.

When I wanted to try some other diapers the only highly recommended options were plastic backed.

For the vast majority noise isn't really an issue. They do help with odor and capacity.

For sleeping I don't get how they aren't basically mandatory for everyone that uses disposables ;-) . If you move about a lot in bed like me the smoother plastic just slides better and doesn't get caught up. I just use plastic pants now regardless but yes, plastic backed are the best for me. I just feel more secure.

Reactions: Mike4978 and BobbiSueEllen
For me it's 100% a better fit that is more snug, the crinkle is cool. The snug fit is cool. I feel like in my experience the integrity of the padding lasts longer than non plastic. I don't use them for their intended function so for me it's all about the feel, the crinkle, the integrity of the padding being superior.

I like plastic backed because they more closely resemble the baby diapers I got a hold of as a kid.

• Love
IvyDemi said:
As a kid, I never knew that plastic-backed diapers existed, and so once I got into the community after becoming older, I was confused as to why people generally seemed to prefer plastic diapers versus cloth-backed.

I already understand that usage/practicality-wise, plastic can contain liquid better than cloth-backed (Alphagatorz taught me that lesson quickly XD). However, I've noticed that people also seem to intrinsically like plastic more, due to the crinkly sound, having used them as a kid, etc. So I'm curious what are y'alls reasons for the type you prefer? Is it just an inbuilt preference, practical standpoint, or nostalgia from being a kid?

For myself, I can see the practical benefits of plastic, but outside of that, I prefer cloth since it makes a smaller rubbing noise instead of a sharper crinkle noise, its softer to the touch, and makes me feel littler, although I don't remember which type I had as a kid to know if it is because of that.
Another thing for me is that as a kid, I always felt I had to be quiet, and so I've just generally developed a fear of making loud noises, which is about the exact opposite of essentially walking with a plastic bag taped on me lol.

What about you though?
Generally I use cloth
IvyDemi said:
As a kid, I never knew that plastic-backed diapers existed, and so once I got into the community after becoming older, I was confused as to why people generally seemed to prefer plastic diapers versus cloth-backed.

I already understand that usage/practicality-wise, plastic can contain liquid better than cloth-backed (Alphagatorz taught me that lesson quickly XD). However, I've noticed that people also seem to intrinsically like plastic more, due to the crinkly sound, having used them as a kid, etc. So I'm curious what are y'alls reasons for the type you prefer? Is it just an inbuilt preference, practical standpoint, or nostalgia from being a kid?

For myself, I can see the practical benefits of plastic, but outside of that, I prefer cloth since it makes a smaller rubbing noise instead of a sharper crinkle noise, its softer to the touch, and makes me feel littler, although I don't remember which type I had as a kid to know if it is because of that.
Another thing for me is that as a kid, I always felt I had to be quiet, and so I've just generally developed a fear of making loud noises, which is about the exact opposite of essentially walking with a plastic bag taped on me lol.

What about you though?
Enjoy the crinkle sound and makes me feel more baby. Generally stay with cloth back more discreet as many family members don't know I am a DL.

Short and simple. THEY WORK! The cloth backed diapers get saturated and soak through. I wouldn’t call it a leak s much as I would call it wet which then wicks onto sheets. The plastic backed rarely leak and if paired with a diaper cover almost never

• Love
Reactions: BabyLouise, Deleted member 39193 and BobbiSueEllen
theancientmariner said:
How do those conversations go?
Mostly good.

Reactions: iampadded
The crinkle sound, the shinny look, the smooth feel, and how snug they are. Bonus points for odor control.

• Love
Reactions: BabyLouise, BobbiSueEllen and Wolfman69
Plastic back doesn't chaff as bad as the cloth more smooth feeling

• Love
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and Wolfman69
Back