What RPGs are you most into?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omnifarious

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I'm new around these parts, but I figure I might as well post my first real thread thing in a place I know more about. But, I'll figure I'll find something else to post somewhere.

Anyway! Getting right into it.

What sorts of RPGs are you into? If any?

One thing that deeply saddens me about the current gen of gaming though, is the constant focus on adult protagonists. Yes, yes, we all know that they can sometimes tell a better story then younger characters, however, some of the most popular games have had young protagonists. The Zelda games are first on this list, by principle that in Legend of Zelda was originally focused on the idea that Link was indeed a little boy. Ocarina of Time further played upon this, as did the subsequent Gameboy games, and Gamecube games. No to mention DS games, too.

And Pokemon, in the first several generations, and even now, your age in those is ambiguous. Though the one issue that some of these games have, is that they're marketed to kids. Most newer RPGs, the Fallouts, and Skyrims, and the like, all have adult protagonists which many have made mods and the like to allow for child protagonists. Not many real successes, some are decent, but not gratifying.

So I guess what I'm trying to say here, is that more games should allow for more customization in terms of age of your sandbox character that you want to save to world or destroy it. Or at least give you the ability to play as a kid for a little while, ala Fallout 3, Fable 1-2, and Dragon Quest V.

That being said, as you can see those are some of my favorite RPGs are Zelda, Fallouts 1-4 + New Vegas, All of the Elder Scrolls games, and of course, the earlier Fable games.

What are some of your favorite RPGs? Why? This can cover a variety of computer, console, and Table-Top RPGs too.

The issue I see with younger protagonists is realistically they're not very effective: less strength, less stamina, more susceptible to injury and disease, less social standing and power. While it can be nice to play the underdog and still win from time to time, often that level of disempowerment is going get in the way of telling the story.

As far as that goes, I'm a big fan of the FATE System for tabletop, but play much more World/Chronicles of Darkness. Console-wise, Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete was pretty good, FF IV, V, VI, Bravely Default.

Final Fantasy x has to be my all time favorite. Ive been playing the new Oz Broken Kingdom rpg. Which is a very good rpg out there in my opinion

It depends on how the story is built around the protagonist, I think. If it's built around the idea that a young protagonist is some kind of chosen one type, then the story itself can easily work. Though it's few and far between do we see very good ways to write these sorts of things. They tend to grow bland after you've seen it four million times. And while I agree, that in a lot of current games it wouldn't make sense, I'm still an advocate for more freedom in that sense.

Fable 1-2 were good examples of a childhood arc. Dragon Quest V is probably the best example. Then there's Overlord 2. To be fair, any game that has even playable flashbacks is going to catch my interest on that end.

However, as it stands there aren't many games that even consider the possibility of that, that are still pretty good. The Dragon Age games are amazing. So are the Mass Effects (Haven't beaten 3 yet, so shush). Risen is an obscure gem of a game, made by the same people who made Gothic, and managed a whole trilogy.

There's a number of RPGs coming out soon. Tyranny is one that looks frelling amazing. I love games where you're playing the villain. >.<

secondlife
entropiauniverse

I've tried Secondlife a few times, it doesn't run very well on my computer. That, and I was never able to honestly figure out what the hell I was doing. XD

Entropia Universe looks neat, something I might give a shot somewhere down the line. Right now it looks a little too overwhelming, though. One game multiple planets run by a bunch of people. Plus Real Money transactions. Sounds pretty neat, but definitely something I need to try when I'm not super distracted.

Mabinogi was a good MMO too. Still is, but it's gotten super crazy updated since the last time I played, but it's still one of the only MMOs I know of out there that lets a player play a character looking as young as 10.

I like Skyrim and the fallout games. I guess WOW is an rpg too and I was viciously good at huntering years ago.

My favorite RPG's are Dark Souls (and Demon's and Bloodborne) and the first two Paper Mario games.

As far as your protagonist thing, it's not really a thing I pay attention to with other games/stories. But I find when I write, my protagonists are usually young and with dark paths; something about a child having to grow up, learn things the hard way, and their faults being their only teacher really speak to me personally.

If you want to play entropiauniverse, start with planetcalypso.com It was their first "planet" and its good fun. Don't feel that you have to deposit massively, just be disciplined and only out in the amount you might do for any other new game. Explore, have fun. use the "rookie" channel of communication of you get stuck. Learn about the whole skill think and economical game play.
I have been in game for about 10 years and it keeps on bringing me in. But i am a slow learner which is why am still relatively low skilled, but enjoy it as the recreation that it is.
One you have got through the training part of the game, play the newbie missions and build skills.
After a while, explore the other "planets" (RPGs with different themes) just for fun.
It may end up being the only game you spend most of your life in.
It DOES require a pretty OK computer to work on, but you can lower the settings and play in windowed mode to make it easier on the graphics card.

I think the protagonist being older in games like Skyrim and Fallout are due to the mature nature of the content. They probably don't want a ten year old slicing people open with a sword or exploding people's faces with a rocket launcher. They market their games to the adult "17+" crowd, and I don't think they want any ambiguity.

As for me, I do enjoy Skyrim and Fallout, and I certainly echo ALL of Traemo's answers.

Divine Divinity (with its silly name) and sequels (Beyond Divinity, Divinity 2) are good. Divinity: Original Sin was the most recent one. Incredibly immersive, and I easily put 100+ hours in (and I'm not exactly a completionist).

Phantasy Star IV for the Sega Genesis was great back in the day, and despite its polarizing effect I have to say I still really enjoy FF7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man, I love the Divinity Series. Divine Divinity and Ego Draconis are two of my favorites, and Original Sin is just one of the best games. I desperately need to finish that one. >.<

Original Sin 2 is coming out soon. And Tyranny. Two of my most anticipated, though currently incapable of playing. Then there's the new game from Pirhana Bytes coming in the near future. I think following that, will be a new Star Wars Game, to go with the new movie.

Nice to see Divinity Original Sin mentioned, recently managed to get through the enhanced edition with a friend in coop (split screen). Just took about 100 hours to get it done :eek:
Very good to play with a controller due to its combat system. Don't know when I'll dare to commit to the second one once it's out though...

If you consider Dark Souls as RPG I would have to mention it as well. Feels like more of an action game though.

Other amazing RPGs are the older classics: Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment. The level of writing and possible solutions in those games just dwarfs anything produced today. Sure stuff like Skyrim and FO4 looks shiny, but the games underneath are shallow, disconnected shit. Even Divinity is more action oriented compared to those monsters.

I mostly play Final Fantasy and Pokemon

Assassin's Creed Black Flag for ps3 & Ace combat Assault Horizons are my two favourite roll playing games at this time although I have James Cameron's Avatar which is also a great game as well as Red Dead Redemption, and the Mass Effect Trilogy amongst others.

Yours sincerely
Chinababy888

Chinababy888 said:
Assassin's Creed Black Flag for ps3, Ace combat Assault Horizons, James Cameron's Avatar, Red Dead Redemption

None of these are RPG's.

Yesterday's release of Tyranny reminds me that I should finish Pillars of Eternity. My playthrough somehow slowed to a halt around Act 3, I think.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona, Shin Megami Tensei, Final Fantasy, Elder Scrolls, Fallout 1 to NV, Phantasy Star, Rune Factory, Shadowrun.

Which ShadowRun?

Traemo said:
Which ShadowRun?

The pen and paper one? Played that one for years! Loved it! Ran a few dozen different campaigns. If I had the time, I've been thinking of running one with a Lovecraftian vibe to it :)

Outside of Fallout, never got into RPG video games. Want to check out Skyrim, but been too busy with school :p

So, you're headed into Chicago to play with the Brotherhood?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back