What has been your most awkward diaper-buying experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My most awkward experience was the first time I bought diapers in a store. The diapers were Depends and it was in the supermarket that I usually use. I wasn't too worried about the cashiers but I was constantly thinking that the people around were wondering way I was buying diapers. My heart slowed down once I got in the car.

Now, whether I buy diapers or other baby items in person, it hardly registers with me.

I've had a few awkward experiences, but in retrospect, I think it was just me being tense and overthinking the situation.

However, there is a story that stands out ; While at the store buying diapers, I realise I'm also low on some household basics, so I think 'Hey, while you're at it..'
Upon reaching the till, the line between my stuff and of the person behind me is mixed up (none of those 'next customer' thingies) so the lady at the register points to the diapers and says 'These too?', to which I respond in autopilot 'Yes, those are for me'.
Oops.

One of my ackward experiences was about 7 years ago. I had found a Medical Supply Store about 30 minutes from my place that sold Molicare. I headed up one Saturday and found the store. They had a very large selection of diapers and incontinence supplies. I was looking for the Molicares when I was approached by the cashier. She was asking about what I was looking for and I told her. She then asked who I was buying for and I nervously answered "myself". Still super friendly, she asked if I had worn Molicares before and what level of absorbancy I needed. I told her no and that I needed a heavy absorbancy and she handed me a sample and told me to go try it to see if it fit well since they sized differently from other adult diapers . She showed me where the bathroom was and I went in and changed out of my Abena and into the Molicare. I came back and she asked how it fit. I told her well and she mentioned it appeared more discreet in the backside than the "brief" I was wearing when I entered the bathroom. Of course that made me blush and I was already nervous. She sensed this and quickly mentioned "You'd be suprised by the number of people your age (I was 26) that come in for incontinence issues. So did you need a bag or a case?" I told her a case and she rang me up. She quickly mentioned that they had a delivery option and re-ordering option if I needed. I told her not at this time. She then went and got the box as well as a grocery bag which contained a few more samples in my size. By now there were a couple of other people in the store and a few of them took notice of the young guy buying a case of diapers at the front. I thanked her for her help and made a B-line to my car. I remember driving home in a daze after that experience.

I think my most embarrassing time was when I was 15. I worked with a family friend helping split wood and odds and ends for $4 per hour. As I rode my bike back home I stopped at Eckerds (drugstore) and went in and was looking for L/XL goodnites... Well all they had was girl ones. I stood there for about 15 minutes trying to make up my mind if I wanted to get them or wait. 2 employees came by during that time 1 was the manager and asked if I needed help.

Well when I finally decided to get them I was shaking so bad this was my first time I took it up to the register and the manager was ringing out the sales. She asked are these for you or your sister? I was kinda stunned I was like umm me. And she's said these are for girls. My face was red and I quickly paid her and ran out...

I never went back there again... I was too embarrassed

OMG... I would have died from embarrassment right there on the spot! :sweatdrop:

bambinod said:
price check on depend at walmart. third, and LAST time I will ever buy at a brick-n-mortar.

all my times were with online orders. the first time was when my parents were on vacation so i took the chance to order 2 cases of diapers. so they got to my house but right as i was garbing the 2 big boxes from outside my neighbor was coming over to barrow something. anyways my dad was also expecting a big package when he got back form vacation and of course neighbors talk and my dad was wonder where his package was. his had not arrived yet and i had to just tell him that it was my package and i had to avoid him for over a month tell he forgot about it.
the second time was at school in the dorms and when i got my box their was a pretty big hole in the box and it looks like it was used as a carrying handle. and yet that was not the worst one. also in the dorms somewhere during transport someone elses packages crashed into mine and completely destroyed the top of the box that my diapers were in. their is no way the schools mail person did not see what was it in, but i just checked my box out and went to my room fast

Ok I used to buy attends at a local shop. The first time they asked if I needed this billed to my insurance. The second time they were out of stock ( I learned to call ahead after this). The lady asked if I had enough to last me for the weekend

I've had a number of awkward diaper-buying experiences. My most awkward was when I went to Walmart and bought some of the Assurance diapers. There are no check yourself out things at that Walmart, so I had to stand there in front of a cashier and have him ring it up. Right next to me, in another line there was a couple of young guys. (I'm in a college town.) I was really scared that somebody who knew me would see me. Fortunately, nobody I know saw me.

I finally quit buying in stores and medical supply places because of all the stresses that everyone is talking about. When I was 17 and had a car for a week, I drove to a town where nobody knew me so I could get my first ever real adult diapers (think 80's Depends) and thought I would die. I also went next door to a fabric store to get white vinyl so I could sew my own footed PJs and I was convinced they would know what it was for. I was staying with my grandparents that week and my grandfather was helping me fix all the broken stuff on the car(can you say Plymouth Reliant?) and to my horror he wanted to open the trunk and the depends were still in there in plain sight. I managed to talk him out of it but I was sure I would fail.

A year or so later I was in a mall in another town and hatched a plan to buy a bag of Attends at the Osco drug store and it was winter but I figured I could take off my coat, zip it back up, and put it over the bag of diapers then carry it thru the neck hole. Terrifying but worked.

I bought adult sized women's footed PJs at a mall back then, too, heck maybe the same day, and the clerk asked if they were a gift so I kinda nervously said haha yeah not for me. They were definitely for me!

The worst was in college. I had driven to the next town but was still where I might see someone I knew. The clerk saw the Depends and asked if I had kids. I just wanted out of there so I lied and said yes, but felt stupid because I was thinking does this guy not realize I would have to have 175 pound children when I was only 20ish? Of course he had kids so then we had this fake parent to parent bond and he talked my ear off, even thru the NEXT person who checked out.

1) thank God for the Internet and
2) wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to get so nervous about something so silly?

My first time buying goodnights i got allthe way through the self check out then somone from my school on my way out saw me but not the diapers i used my body to block the cart on the way by but imma hypocondract

Once, I walked to a Walgreens drugstore when it was getting dark and bought a package of Pampers Cruisers size 7. As I was leaving the checkout counter, I heard some giggles between the 2 clerks at the counter and the word "diaper." I was already a bit anxious from buying the diapers, and that just made me more so. As I was walking home, a group of ganster-like teenagers walking toward me and the fact that it was dark made me more anxious. Then, when they passed me, one of them said something like, "D***! That's some small s***." (I probably looked like I was 12-13 at the time.) making me even more anxious.

Those two events make me think that the clerks thought the diapers were for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back