What do you wear when you go to the beach or public pools?

greatlake5

Profoundly incontinent since the beginning.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
To be honest I didn't really like going to public pools. And when I was younger I didn't know how to disguise my diapers well. Today I don't go to the public pool even though I can. My parents had our own pool and that's where I learned to swim. But despite being able to swim I stayed away from public pools.

Now that I'm older I love to swim in the lake. I live on the dunes right here on Lake Michigan. One of my best exercises is to go kayaking or swimming (if it's not too cold).
I simply wear a swim-diaper under compression pants and a regular (baggy) swimming suit.

I don't resist the water. I love it. I wish I knew how to camouflage a wet and bulky diaper when I was younger. What do you wear when you go to the beach (or pool)?

Reactions: checkingoutall
I very seldom go to the pool but I do go to the beach fairly often and I just use one of those swimmates disposable swim diapers. I put it on in the changing huts or the restroom at the beach and it will usually hold between there and when I get in the water and once I'm wet from being in the water no one's going to notice if I pee once I'm wet. This approach probably would not work at the pool because you'd pee all over the deck but no one at the beach would ever notice and it's not the sanitary issue it would be with a pool. I've thought about buying a reusable swim diaper but I really don't know how much good it would do given the fact that I'm only bladder incontinent and don't (usually) poop in my diaper.

Reactions: checkingoutall
My wife and I don't "beach" anymore. She struggles with her weight and doesn't like her appearance in a bathing suit. When we do hit the beach,1654201117908.pngit is just for a walk. I have enough urinary control that I could probably get away with wearing a pair of shorts for an afternoon, provided I had no BM issues that day. Even though I learned swimming as a kid, I never became a strong swimmer. If I was cast overboard, it would be a matter of how long I could last floating on my back. Otherwise, I sink like a rock.

At this point in our lives, we just watch the kids and grandkids do their swimming thing. I have no regrets about that.

Reactions: Deleted member 57387 and checkingoutall
I don't go to public pools either,
When I do go swimming it's at a river with a sandy bank, gets used by a lot of people in the summer.
As to what I wear, simply just a diaper and T-shirt, and sometimes just a diaper.

Last edited:
How does a woman handle incontinence at the pool. Pretty hard to hide a swim diaper

I use a normal diaper IF I’m not going in the water, otherwise I use a swim diaper just incase I have an accident.

Twinmom said:
How does a woman handle incontinence at the pool. Pretty hard to hide a swim diaper
They're not that hard to conceal under a tank suit, as long as the leg openings aren't cut too high. A dark colored suit with a busy pattern will help break up the outline of a swim diaper.

Reactions: ClaudTheBear
Swim diaper with swim trunks Forever

A bathing suit😆

As someone fully IC I totally understand how hard it can be to go to the beach/lake/river or even worse, a public pool. Adult swim diapers are sadly not very common and quite expensive, it took me a long long time before finding the best ones.
What to wear and how to hide your diaper is the main problem in places where you’re nearly naked, when I’m at my family’s pool I usually don’t hide the diaper at all since everyone knows of my condition, I’ll usually just wear my top and then the diaper, even tho having it that visible can be embarrassing when you soil or wet yourself a lot and it gets visible.
In public I’ll usually wear some “girl boardshorts” when I’m laying down sunbathing, if I have to get up to go around I usually wrap a towel or a short pareo around my waist too just to be sure no one sees anything.

Last edited:
I have a pair of swimshorts made for incontinent, they look like every other pair of swim shorts, only they have room to hold a pad securely. If or when I decide to go in the water I first pull out the pad and dispose it, then I jump in the water. If I have an accident after getting up, it’s no big deal as I’m wet already.

I switch between my SOSecure and Kesvir swim suits. Both are pretty effective for containing bm but the Kesvir is a little better for pee containment as long as I don't flood them to much. However, they are not absorbant diapers so they just delay the inevitable leaking/runoff if I don't take quick action.

I usually use normal diaper that I take off before getting into water, but in a pool u can do that and need some swim diapers or something similar. And that’s it

At the pool I use a swimmate disposable just In case I poop myself in the pool ( hasn't happened yet and hopefully never will) . It also helps with getting from the changing room too the water if I have a dribble

For both beach and pool, I wear a reusable swim diaper with snap-on plastic pants under my swimsuit. The snap-on plastic pants don’t balloon up and are more discreet. The beach isn’t too bad but the pool can leave a heavy trail of water and puddle under the lounge chair with regular plastic pants!!!

I have my own pool and own about three or four reusable swim diapers in various configurations and I've also tried the Swimmates from Tranquility. I've also tried what they often suggest to toddlers of cloth diapers and tight plastic pants.

The latter doesn't much work. It was always just a matter of time before the water came in and flooded the diaper and you had a big anchor around your middle.

Several of the rest are acceptable. Essentially, they appear to be either "speedo" style or just full up briefs that have a small amount of waterproofing and very tight legholes. I've got one I just got from InControl that is a more "diaper style" (velcro). I had tried one of these in the past but the sizing was so far off it wouldn't fit me and I gave it away to another forum member here.

All of these would seem to work well enough, but remember they have really only one goal in mind: to temporarily contain solids until you can get out of the water and change. They're not designed for prolonged use once "loaded" nor will they contain other than solid materials. If you have diarrhea or even softer stools, you should avoid the water. Again, these things will eventually turn into fecal tea bags. If you do use one, get out immediately and change (away from the pool).

Out of the water, these have minimal absorbency and if won't take much of a urinary accident.

Remember, the goal here is to keep fecal bacteria out of the pool water. Don't subject others to sickness.

Back