What do you do when you just can't go home for a change?

greatlake5

Profoundly incontinent since the beginning.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
What do you do when you just can't go home for a change? If I'm at work I have my own office and private bathroom. So it's not that bad for me. Out in public? That could be a problem. I always have an emergency kit in my car but I don't carry the kit everywhere. The only thing you can do is stop what you were doing and simply stop, grab my kit and find a bathroom. The worst is when you have a surprising BM. I usually have one while sleeping or in the morning. I sort of expected that. But sometimes (rare ) it's just an "uh oh" moment. And you're stuck. Even though I use internal deodorants, having a loaded diaper can be really uncomfortable for more than an hour. What do you do? Especially when you're way from home? Eventually you just have to leave. Despite who you're with. It's happened from me. What do you do if it happens for you?

Reactions: Diprs2, PiporApomme, Freddie07601 and 5 others
I keep a go-kit in my work bag with: 1 thin tabbed diaper, a pair of light pants, 10 wipes in a refillable pouch, and a disposal bag. Even if I have a leaky diaper, I'm good to go. I don't have many #2 episodes (maybe 3 all of last year) so I think may have it easier than you.

I simply find a bathroom and change in a stall (obviously I prefer a dedicated bathroom if I can find one). With a F-IC episode that really sucks but I can at least get mostly cleaned-up. Sure, I've had situations where I have to change and it's obvious what I'm doing but after a couple decades that just doesn't bother me much anymore.

Reactions: Diprs2, PiporApomme, Freddie07601 and 2 others
I recently had diarrhea coming home from an hour long walk near home. This was totally unexpected and I didn't bring anything with me, nor would I find a place to change on the way home. All I could do is to continue walking (in subdued strides) and time my entrance into the apartment building such that I wouldn't have to share the elevator. At the time, I was not on chlorophyl capsules, so it stunk badly. I have since learned my lesson and am taking the capsules again. Thankfully, at least the pull-up didn't leak on me.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: Diprs2, Freddie07601, newt and 2 others
I do exactly as you and others have suggested. Internal deodorants, I keep multiple kits in strategic places, and change when needed. I'm not bravo-plaining, it doesn't make it easier, it makes it tolerable.

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, EcoIncon, Freddie07601 and 2 others
The reality of IC is that the worst will happen at the worst possible moment! It is why I always size-up even with my daytime diaper and diaper cover.

For my entire business life, I carried a computer bag, one half was pure business and the other side was, well it was a diaper bag! The reason is precisely what has been stated above; The goal is to make a bad situation tolerable! The where is whatever is available and provides the basics regarding changing, which could be behind a tree of size.Yup, I have done that!

Reactions: Diprs2, EcoIncon, joemama and 2 others
I haven’t really had something that bad but one that happened last week was extremely annoying and hopefully just adds a little levity to this topic.

I was at work and needed to go to the courthouse to file a motion before it closed. I thought I had plenty of time to go change after finishing the motion. I wasn’t in a change now or leak situation, but it was full enough that it was much more bulky and noticeable than I prefer, especially for court.

So I go to the office floor bathroom which only has one stall and one urinal. Someone is in the stall. No biggie. I check back again 5 minutes later. Same guy there. Little annoying but sometimes you have some big issues to handle on the toilet.

Go back 5 minutes later. Same guy. I’m slightly annoyed but hoping this warrior can get through it. 5 minutes later he’s still there. Now I’m getting frustrated. I’m running low on time and if I don’t get to court my motion will be late and I’m in real trouble. So decide to give it 5 more minutes. The guy is still there.

Now I don’t know what demons this guy was fighting but 25 minutes in a public bathroom with only one stall is obscene. If I had more time I probably would have checked on him but I had to run out. And of course the filing area was packed. I don’t know if that man is okay, but I hope he is.

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and Freddie07601
newt said:
I haven’t really had something that bad but one that happened last week was extremely annoying and hopefully just adds a little levity to this topic.

I was at work and needed to go to the courthouse to file a motion before it closed. I thought I had plenty of time to go change after finishing the motion. I wasn’t in a change now or leak situation, but it was full enough that it was much more bulky and noticeable than I prefer, especially for court.

So I go to the office floor bathroom which only has one stall and one urinal. Someone is in the stall. No biggie. I check back again 5 minutes later. Same guy there. Little annoying but sometimes you have some big issues to handle on the toilet.

Go back 5 minutes later. Same guy. I’m slightly annoyed but hoping this warrior can get through it. 5 minutes later he’s still there. Now I’m getting frustrated. I’m running low on time and if I don’t get to court my motion will be late and I’m in real trouble. So decide to give it 5 more minutes. The guy is still there.

Now I don’t know what demons this guy was fighting but 25 minutes in a public bathroom with only one stall is obscene. If I had more time I probably would have checked on him but I had to run out. And of course the filing area was packed. I don’t know if that man is okay, but I hope he is.
You are kind, as that guy was on the clock and just allowing time to pass by, at your expense!

Reactions: Diprs2 and newt
I wear 24/7. I have my grey backpack with me all the time. It has my meds, epi pen and 2 diapers, wipes, disposal bags and changing pads (mainly to put my bag on the floor)

I take that whenever i leave the house for any amount of time

Reactions: Diprs2, Tom29303, newt and 1 other person
Lately I'm not away from home often or long enough to need to be concerned about a diaper emergency. At 77 I'm still employed part-time, but it's call center work and I work completely from home. When I do go out, it's usually not for a long enough time that my diaper is likely to leak. I almost never have diarrhea and my BM's are not especially messy.

When I was working from an office, I always carried the equivalent of a fully provisioned diaper bag. It was an ordinary backpack designed to carry a computer, but I carried diapers, wipes, and even a spare pair of plastic pants.

I remember in particular a day at the office when I went to change just before leaving work, only to discover that the seat of my pants was very wet. Fortunately they were dark pants, and I didn't notice a smell. I had been sitting all afternoon. I just didn't notice how many times I had wet. One of the advantages of disposable diapers, that we don't feel wet while wearing them, is also a disadvantage in that we have to pay attention to how wet the diaper actually is.

After changing, I unfolded a diaper on the seat of my car to avoid staining the upholstery. I didn't pass more than one or two people as I walked from the parking lot to my apartment. No one said anything, and I didn't notice any strange looks.

As I'm getting older, there have been times when I've been less aware of the state of my diaper than I should be. My sister (we share an apartment) notices, though. Knowing I value my independence, she doesn't make a big deal of the situation, but will quietly ask "Do you need a clean diaper?"

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and newt
newt said:
INow I don’t know what demons this guy was fighting but 25 minutes in a public bathroom with only one stall is obscene. If I had more time I probably would have checked on him but I had to run out. And of course the filing area was packed. I don’t know if that man is okay, but I hope he is.

That is unfortunate to say the least. When I find myself in similar circumstances, I just look for another restroom one flight up/down from where I am.

• Wow
Reactions: Diprs2, slimjiminy and Edgewater
daylight said:
That is unfortunate to say the least. When I find myself in similar circumstances, I just look for another restroom one flight up/down from where I am.
Normally I would but unfortunately all the floors have their own set of keys so my office keys only opens the one on my floor.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
Edgewater said:
The reality of IC is that the worst will happen at the worst possible moment!
Murphey is one tough opponent!

• Love
One of my worst accident happened when I was at a farm market. That morning I went to mass and stopped at one of my favorite restaurant for breakfast with my girlfriend. Then we decided to visit our farm market. I was going for some produce when I could feel some wetting. Usually I don't really worry. It happens all the time. But this became a real flash flood. She could see that something was bothering me but again, I could handle my diaper. But then I had a sudden big BM accident. I was shocked. It just kept coming. It was surprisingly large. It wasn't actually soft. It was simply a massive solid load. Even though I use chlorophyll I worried that someone might notice the gigantic bulge in the back of my diaper. She asked me if I was okay. She looked at my back and knew I had filled my diape I was stuck. There really isn't anything I could do but to pay for our purchase and slowly walk off near my car. Trying to find a restroom wasn't an option. All I could do was to gently sit into my car and drive away.

I've always been profoundly IC since the beginning. Wetting or BM accidents happen. It's no surprise. My girlfriend knows it too. She usually wants to help even though I prefer to change myself with a dirty diaper. And I do. But sometimes at the worst time and with terrible circumstances you know that you won't be able to simply clean-up a normal accident. It didn't matter if I had my emergency kit or not. All you could do was to make sure you were wearing a quality diaper, you didn't smell too bad and try to get home.

• Wow
Reactions: Diprs2, EcoIncon, slimjiminy and 2 others
newt said:
Normally I would but unfortunately all the floors have their own set of keys so my office keys only opens the one on my floor.
Hmmm, time to stumble upon a key for another floor with the intent to return it to the rightful owner, but alas the discovery process is taking longer than expected.

always have my small backpack with necessary items and a quick change as needed. in care of our vehicles we keep a large diaper backpack well stocked with what maybe needed along with a selection of diapers suitable for various activities. we also plan ahead for outing to pack certain diapers or pullups. these days it is pretty easy to find a public restroom that is a family one and a big score if it has an adult changing table, and if there aren't suitable restrooms our SUV makes a great changing station. being active and out and about a lot just plan ahead. a change of clothing in your vehicle is a good idea regardless of being in diapers. we have been caught is sudden down pours many times when out on an adventure and a change of clothes is nice. Florida is big on bright and sunny in seconds it is raining (LOL).

• Love
greatlake5 said:
What do you do when you just can't go home for a change?
I almost never go home to change unless it’s a blowout mess. I always have a diaper and changing supplies available. Fortunately, my office has private bathrooms, but I’ve changed in lots of different bathrooms and places.

Reactions: Diprs2, Joeysms and Edgewater
I keep spare diapers in my Tahoe, wipes, TP and if I am going somewhere (100 miles or more away) I'll throw in a change of clothing, just in case along with an extra reusable underpad so my seat is never subjected to stains and "stink". Thankfully I am only urinary incontinent so I generally don't have to worry about a "messy" diaper. I honestly don't know how those who live with bowel IC do it and I admire them for figuring out how to continue to live and enjoy life with that issue.

CptKirk

Reactions: Diprs2, Tom29303, Edgewater and 1 other person
I carry a diaper bag now if I’ll be out for over an hour. It’s actually a really cute bag and I get lots of compliments but I don’t like the fact I’m now hauling around a diaper bag for myself. I also recently made an emergency kit for my car, with miniatures of all my supplies and even spare pants/shirt.

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and greatlake5
I always have my spare clothes bag, and had to use it 3 weeks ago. Being a paraplegic and left arm amputee, after cleaning up in the office, my change of clothes were gym shorts and t shirt as much easier to get on one handed and over my leg braces. I can't stand safely. Puting a new diaper on one handed and siting only is a not really possible (or at least I havnt figured it out)

Coming out of the bathroom looking like i just did a full workout, I grabbed my laptop and ran the heck out of there. So embarrassing, yet my boss understood. My office building is about 6000 people, I could feel all the looks I got being in shorts and drenched in sweat. Got out, went home and washed up.

Reactions: Diprs2, CptKirk and Edgewater
Back