Wet your bed or Pee your bed?

Bed wetter, that's how my parents and my sisters called me. Also in front of others. I hated my parents and sisters for that. But now I would love it to be called bed wetter in front of other people

Attachments

• Wetbed.jpg
    Wetbed.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 14
wet bed, wet diaper, wet pants, pee in the toilet.

Reactions: chamberpot
Definitely "wet the bed". It was not a reality for me, but it was for my brother sometimes. Also "wet" is easier to say. Try saying them both quickly.

There was also this playground prank:
"Say 'red'."
"Red."
"You wet your bed."

InkoBubi said:
Bed wetter, that's how my parents and my sisters called me. Also in front of others. I hated my parents and sisters for that. But now I would love it to be called bed wetter in front of other people
My family would talk about me wetting the bed as if I were not in the room.

feetintrouble said:
Definitely "wet the bed". It was not a reality for me, but it was for my brother sometimes. Also "wet" is easier to say. Try saying them both quickly.

There was also this playground prank:
"Say 'red'."
"Red."
"You wet your bed."
It used to be "Reds reds wet their beds" at our school. It was no secret I was a bedwetter growing up. Honestly it never bothered me.

InkoBubi said:
I get a kick out of people knowing I still wet the bed.

Last edited:
Reactions: chamberpot
As a kid, my family always said wet the bed, not pee the bed. Same for wet your pants, or had wet pants or a wet diaper. For some reason back then, the word pee was considered more crude. Now, we use both fairly interchangeably, although the phrase pee the bed seems weird to me, while pee your pants or having to pee seems normal.

I think adults generally refer to their children wetting the bed or being a bedwetter, but the kids routinely refer to it as peeing the bed or "he peed his bed" etc.

What about weeing your bed? No love for wee? A childhood acquaintance of mine had a bedwetting alarm called a “Wee Alert.”

I prefer wet. It’s more versatile. It’s both a verb and an adjective. The dictionaries I’ve looked at don’t seem to recognize peed as an adjective, which means that if you’ve peed (in/on) your bed, it’s not proper to call it a peed bed. It’s still wet (with pee). Wet ftw. :)

Last edited:
Cottontail said:
What about weeing your bed? No love for wee? A childhood acquaintance of mine had a bedwetting alarm called a “Wee Alert.”

I prefer wet. It’s more versatile. It’s both a verb and an adjective. The dictionaries I’ve looked at don’t seem to recognize peed as an adjective, which means that if you’ve peed (in/on) your bed, it’s not proper to call it a peed bed. It’s still wet (with pee). Wet ftw. :)
Isn't "wee" more of a British expression?

I WET the bed every night

Cottontail said:

Where I live, wee is the term used instead of pee. But even then, when I was a child and did a wee in my sleep, that meant I wet my bed. :)
Wet is just the better verb and adjective.

Cottontail said:

Time to sic the grammar police on a 12 year old :)

Reactions: Cottontail
“Wet the bed” pushes my buttons better, somehow.

Reactions: denimchicken
My wife tells me your going to pee the bed! I correct her and say I’m going to pee my diaper in my bed. lol.

Reactions: bdale and iampadded
Seems like a lot more people than not have said that pee the bed sounds intentional and wet the bed sounds accidental.

I wonder if that might be because "pee" is more often a verb than a noun, while wet is more often an adjective than a verb. The word that sounds more like a verb seems to feel more active and intentional, while the word that is more commonly an adjective feels more passive and accidental.

Personally, I have used both, but in slightly different ways (although lots of overlap depending on when I used them). I tend to think of "Pee the bed" as being a bad thing. I cringe when I hear it phrased like that and instinctively get worried that I will be in trouble. "Wet the bed" sounds more comforting or neutral in my mind. I feel like someone is about to reassure me that accidents happen and not to be upset.

patrick1776 said:
Seems like a lot more people than not have said that pee the bed sounds intentional and wet the bed sounds accidental.

I wonder if that might be because "pee" is more often a verb than a noun, while wet is more often an adjective than a verb. The word that sounds more like a verb seems to feel more active and intentional, while the word that is more commonly an adjective feels more passive and accidental.

Personally, I have used both, but in slightly different ways (although lots of overlap depending on when I used them). I tend to think of "Pee the bed" as being a bad thing. I cringe when I hear it phrased like that and instinctively get worried that I will be in trouble. "Wet the bed" sounds more comforting or neutral in my mind. I feel like someone is about to reassure me that accidents happen and not to be upset.
Good analysis. Thus my claim that pee just sounds naughtier.

wet the bed for me

Frungie said:
Isn't "wee" more of a British expression?
KCA said:
Where I live, wee is the term used instead of pee.
When I was a kid, my mom used to say wee-wee instead of pee-pee in reference to peeing. Eventually it seemed weird to me because I didn't hear anybody else calling it that. Then, decades later, I had my own kids and we were watching Elmo's Potty Time one afternoon. Among the many potty topics covered were the various terms used for peeing and pooping, and they mentioned wee-wee! I felt like my childhood was validated, ha ha.

I wake up with my diaper Wet with Pee each morning and also while watching TV. 🫠

Back