Vintage Adult Diaper Styles

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Is there any reason why a diaper company can not make an exact match to a diaper from 30 years ago? Wouldn't the patent expire over time? Some company needs to bring back the vintage Attends from 1988.

I suspect that diaper companies can make an exact match to a diaper they made 30 years ago...

On the other hand, there was a reason they made changes to their designs. We may agree or disagree with their reasons but they did make changes. So I suspect that most companies won't make an exact match because they don't believe the currents costs are a good match to the current buying public.

As much affection as I have for older diapers (including Attends), I don't think they have much on the ones we have now. The plastic used to feel nicer. That's about it.

Probably because the adult nappies of yesteryear were less effective than the best available now.

I would love to get my hands on some plastic Boots Staydry Maxi Brief-Style from the 1990s for nostalgic reasons, but I remember that even though they were huge and crinkly they were very thin compared to today.

I understand that nappies that had greater coverage (padding in the wings, for example), also had virtually no SAP and often didn’t even have leak guards.

I would love to see a nappy with the modern specifications but padding covering the whole of the interior. That would be brilliant.

Reactions: RedPandaDL and DiaperedBedwetter1998
Quite simply, diapers have evolved as much as any other technology has. The diapers we have today are lightyears ahead of their predecessors even if it may not seem like it. Ultimately, it means a better performing product and a more efficient product.

I hear the hype about vintage Attends all the time. Even see people buy 30 year old packs of them only to be disappointed. Attends in the 80s were thin, lacked SAP and overall just sucked. The only exception was the Ultra Attends - the precursor to Overnight Attends - which were twice as thick as standard Attends and had a quilted feel. Even those fell just short of the thicker Rearz diapers. I think the hype is based on people remembering how they compared to what was available at the time. When you're used to Depends, Ultra Attends seem like a dream come true. lol

MrWashington said:
I hear the hype about vintage Attends all the time. Even see people buy 30 year old packs of them only to be disappointed. Attends in the 80s were thin, lacked SAP and overall just sucked. The only exception was the Ultra Attends - the precursor to Overnight Attends - which were twice as thick as standard Attends and had a quilted feel. Even those fell just short of the thicker Rearz diapers. I think the hype is based on people remembering how they compared to what was available at the time. When you're used to Depends, Ultra Attends seem like a dream come true. lol
I agree, with the ABU and Rearz we have today, I don’t miss the old ones. I would have dripped to have had some Rearz Rebel diapers or Space ones back then. 😀

I'm going back to wearing a fig leaf.
(Great for Summer, notsogreat for the cold Winter!)

:-D

I doubt patents are an issue. Old diaper styles aren't very functional. As someone who has been using diapers since the adult disposables hit the market in the early 80's I can tell you it was almost two decades before a trully usable diaper hit. I;m not nostalgic for the old ones at in the least.

Back