Using wifi dongle as a Bluetooth dongle?

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
I've got a spare 2.4Ghz WiFi dongle which came with a mouse/keyboard set and I was wondering about using it as a Bluetooth-ish dongle on my XP PC for transferring files between it and my phone....how workable is that?
I've seen some quick answers, but nothing that went into detail about ease-of-use and functionality.
If you're wondering why I don't just try it now, I'm having a bad day, physically, and I'm on the verge of spending/wasting £5 on a BT dongle....and if you're reading this you've obviously got nothing better to do than desperately want to impart your worldy wisdom! 😝
Ta, in advance.

Edit: forgot to mention the security aspect. I've got a typical internet wifi dongle ready to plug and play on the PC, but I know it's got a decent range and I don't want passers by picking up my selfies (I'm a wired kind of bloke).

Last edited:
All sorts of unanswered questions here. If you are trying to do this with a windows XP machine which is now way out of date. What phone is it? Does it use a usb charger. Often all you need to do is plug the usb charger cable in to a port on your computer and it will see it as an external drive. It does sound like you are using some very old tech. The Dongle you have will not do what you want, it will be just for the Keyboard/mouse it came with.

The dongles that I’ve seen can do Wi-Fi or Bluetooth but not both. You will need to read the manufacturer’s documentation for your dongle to know whether it supports both.

As for the Wi-Fi security aspect you want to be using a minimum of WPA (or better yet WPA 2 (with AES encryption, if possible. AES is more secure than TKIP. Only use TKIP if AES is not supported.)). I don’t know if any dongles for Windows XP are able to support the new WPA 3 standard. WPA 3 (if available) is your best option. Otherwise use WPA 2, if available.

Avoid WEP like the plague. It is only marginally better than no encryption at all. Use the highest numbered WPA standard that is available to you instead.

Last edited:
Had a play, yesterday. What I'd read about it not being worth the hassle seemed true enough 🤭
For the keyboard/mouse dongle, you also have to apparently crack the vendor's ID code or something.
For my Zyxel dongle and it's software, and trying to establish a connection between the PC and phone, it was like going back to the bad old days of configuring network connections. Both could see each other, but nothing more could happen.
For the sake of my hair, I splurged £6 on a known brand Bluetooth dongle 😁.

Only buggering about to, ultimately, save wear and tear on my phone's data/charging port.

ade said:
I've got a spare 2.4Ghz WiFi dongle which came with a mouse/keyboard set and I was wondering about using it as a Bluetooth-ish dongle on my XP PC for transferring files between it and my phone....how workable is that?
I've seen some quick answers, but nothing that went into detail about ease-of-use and functionality.
If you're wondering why I don't just try it now, I'm having a bad day, physically, and I'm on the verge of spending/wasting £5 on a BT dongle....and if you're reading this you've obviously got nothing better to do than desperately want to impart your worldy wisdom! 😝
Ta, in advance.

Edit: forgot to mention the security aspect. I've got a typical internet wifi dongle ready to plug and play on the PC, but I know it's got a decent range and I don't want passers by picking up my selfies (I'm a wired kind of bloke).
I would think the dongle is a wifi receiver and not a sender as a keyboard and mouse don't need to receive anything .
You can get mirror cast devices that allow you to display your phone content on what you plug it into .

Last edited:
michaelmc said:
I would think the dongle is a wifi receiver and not a sender as a keyboard and mouse don't need to receive anything .
Possibly, but you don't know what hardware, or purposely dumbed down hardware, is being used (not to mention that there seems to be some data transfer for device recognition????).
And maybe you'd need an Android plug-in for data protocol compatibility???
Anyway, it's a redundant issue, now.....or it would be if the bloody Amazon driver had actually delivered the fecking thing! 30(4).gif
pulling_your_hair_out-875.gif

• Love
Reactions: michaelmc
Back