Urinary Trac Infection in males

Beloney

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I don’t post on here too often. I’m curious for the males how many have had a UTI and how long did it take to heal after starting antibiotics? Did you have blood in your semen? My dr is saying the UTI is because I need to change more often. I’m also 50 here soon and hear it’s more common in older men! Thank you for any and all who read and reply.

I had one when I was a little kid. Probably took about 2-3 weeks to clear up.

Reactions: Beloney
Beloney said:
I don’t post on here too often. I’m curious for the males how many have had a UTI and how long did it take to heal after starting antibiotics? Did you have blood in your semen? My dr is saying the UTI is because I need to change more often. I’m also 50 here soon and hear it’s more common in older men! Thank you for any and all who read and reply.
I’ve had two UTIs and currently have one now. I went to the Dr a week ago yesterday and was started my antibiotic the same day. I’m still experiencing symptoms such as burning while urinating. My first UTI I don’t remember having the issues nearly as long. I haven’t noticed any blood. My Dr. didn’t tell me to it has anything to do with my diapers and how often I need to change.
Anyways UTI are painful and make me feel incredibly sick. Back pain, body aches, fevers and chills at the same time. I don’t wish them on anyone.

I never had a UTI from wearing and not changing too often, instead I always had a UTI from surgery down there or complications with my foley catheter. The doctor was surprised I had to replace it twice as often but he agreed it's the safest option to proceed.

I always take ciprofloxacine 500mg twice a day for 3 to 5 days depending on the infection severity, if it is a serious infection a treatment of 10 days is advised.
However this specific antibiotic is known to be in the list of "those that are no longer working as efficient anymore" because bacteria become resistant to it more and more, best is to regularly consult your GP when you have frequent UTI's to
- prevent them if possible
- try out new, different antibiotics, especially if you've ben using the same one frequently and often
- if it is a very light UTI try drinking lotso f water and cranberry pills for 2 days instead, if it doesn't improve then switch to medication.

I get UTI ever once in a while ... bladder spasms, uncontrollable urination, dark & discolored pee, strong & weird smelling pee, very uncomfortable when peeing .... sometimes puss discharge.

The last time the quacks prescribed 2 pills - one that turned my pee very orange ( to get rid o the spasms and take away some of the discomfort ) - the second one to clear up the infection.
It was gone in 3 weeks.

After your UTI is cleared up, talk to your doctor about testing for a prostate infection ... there is chance of getting prostatitis following UTI .

Reactions: Beloney and RMS401
KitsuneFox said:
After your UTI is cleared up, talk to your doctor about testing for a prostate infection ... there is chance of getting prostatitis following UTI .

I'll second this. I've had prostate infections (prostatitis) a couple times and they are NOT fun. I've always wondered what role my wearing and use of a diaper played in getting those, but of course there's no way to know for sure. Yes, staying hydrated helps for sure--got to keep things flushed out--and that also helps avoid kidney stones, another fun thing I've had.

-RMS

Reactions: Beloney and KitsuneFox
I have had a uti once, due to catheter play.

Next time i thought it was a UTI and it was prostrate infection... happy 40th BD to me!! (Yes the dr. Said “not how you pictured your 40th BD is it”)

From the years of seeing enough diaper photos, some of you all aren’t drinking enough liquid. If your pee looks like orange juice or iced tea color... DRINK MORE. It should look like watered down lemonade, and not cloudy. I have a 20oz tumbler that i take everywhere. I try to fill it several times throughout the day.
- in the morning I wake and drink whatever is left from the night before
- get up and fill it up along with cereal, yogurt. I’ll drink that empty before i leave the house.
- fill it up again when i walk out the door, drink all the way to work.
- top off or refil when i get to work.
- fill up again at break, lunch and last break
- top off again before i leave the office
- top off when i get home
- fill about 1/2 way at bedtime

i drink this much because i take blood pressure meds, one which is a diuretic.

For a male diaper wearing would have very little to no affect on uti at least from my experience I have never had a uti and I have worn diapers both wet and messy for 8 hours plus.

One of the best ways to help prevent and recover is just drink plenty of fluids mainly water it sounds stupid but if you pee often it will help clean it out.

Beloney said:
How often you need to change will depend on how concentrated (dehydrated) your pee is, and what type of diaper you are using. Your own body and immune system will play a part in that too. As such, we will need much more info in order to even make an educated guess if your doctor is right on not.

I stay well hydrated so that my pee is mostly clear with a little bit of yellow tint. I also wear a premium crinklz diaper. I typically do not have problems with uti's, though I have had a few before. Given all of that I can stay in the same diaper up to 24 hours without a problem. Seriously, rashes not being a major problem either.

More info. My last uti was a persistent yet low level infection in my bladder. I had it for at least 6 months, probably a LOT longer. However, I never once felt it. No blood or negative effects of any kind, it just kept coming back positive on the test. After one surgery my urologist had me on large pill antibiotics for a month. Follow up testing showed no effect in getting rid of it. When I went in for another later surgery he put me on the toughest IV antibiotics they had- one dose allowed per day, for two days. That did clear it up- not that I could have told though either way.

Decades prior to that I did my worst uti ever. I did pee a very small amount of blood, and felt a persistent pain in my bladder. I ignored it overnight, and in the morning my skin had turned yellow, my lower back was sore, and I had no need to pee in the slightest. I also felt like death walking. Turns out it traveled up to my kidneys and shut them down. I was (hours?) away from dying. The ER put me on a double IV (both arms) of saline and antibiotics each. After an hour or so I finally started to come out of it and needed to pee like a race horse.

Slomo said:

Decades prior to that I did my worst uti ever. I did pee a very small amount of blood, and felt a persistent pain in my bladder. I ignored it overnight, and in the morning my skin had turned yellow, my lower back was sore, and I had no need to pee in the slightest. I also felt like death walking. Turns out it traveled up to my kidneys and shut them down. I was (hours?) away from dying. The ER put me on a double IV (both arms) of saline and antibiotics each. After an hour or so I finally started to come out of it and needed to pee like a race horse.

It sounds like you had sepsis. I had a severe kidney infection about 18 months ago due to a kidney stone. I ended up with sepsis before I acted on the pain. What I thought was going to be a simple visit to the doctor turned into emergency inpatient surgery. I lived but 1 out of 6 don't so I consider myself lucky. Next time I won't wait the 20 hours that I did that time.

-Ieyasu

I had one a few years ago and it was incredibly painful. Once they started me on antibiotics, the first one being IV, I got immediate relief. It did take several weeks to completely clear up.

I only had one about 24 years ago. It was a painful uncontrollable urination. I told my wife and went we went to the doctors. They started me on antibiotics, and it only lasted 2 days which was long enough. I haven't had one since.

When I had my UTI, I was prescribed sulfamethoxazole, it cleared up in about 1 week and 2 or 3 days after. This was a painful experience in my life and I hope to never experience it again.

I literally describe it as urinating fire.

Hi! I’m a physician. I'm new around here, though a long-time DL. I've just been lurking up to now, learning from the community, but this is a topic to which I can contribute!

UTIs include infections anywhere in the urinary tract, including the bladder, prostate, and kidneys. In men, prostatitis and kidney infections (pyelonephritis) typically cause more severe symptoms, like fever and weakness. Bladder infections cause burning, increased frequency and spasms, and sometimes blood, but not usually fever. Bloody semen would presumably be from a prostate infection, which usually hits hard and fast, with fever up to 103. Bladder infections clear up quickly with antibiotics, but kidney infections require 7-14 days to feel better. Prostate infections sometimes require treatment for up to a month. So there's a huge range!

But males are blessed with a long urethra, which pretty much insulates us from getting infections from wet or messy diapers, no matter how long they are worn. (Women's bodies are different, though, and they probably need to be very careful in this regard.) Not changing often enough is likely to be an issue for skin health in a man, but should not be blamed for UTIs. UTIs are fluky, or due to poor drainage (bad bladder mechanics/function or an oversized prostate due to aging--why older men have more trouble than younger men).

Standard disclaimer: Of course, this is general info, and should not be mistaken for medical advice...talk to your doctor if you are having symptoms that worry you.

Reactions: mihannes, DylanLewis, Zeke and 4 others
Thank you all who have taken time to read and reply. I great appreciate it and your input!

Babydoc said:
Hi! I’m a physician. I'm new around here, though a long-time DL. I've just been lurking up to now, learning from the community, but this is a topic to which I can contribute!

UTIs include infections anywhere in the urinary tract, including the bladder, prostate, and kidneys. In men, prostatitis and kidney infections (pyelonephritis) typically cause more severe symptoms, like fever and weakness. Bladder infections cause burning, increased frequency and spasms, and sometimes blood, but not usually fever. Bloody semen would presumably be from a prostate infection, which usually hits hard and fast, with fever up to 103. Bladder infections clear up quickly with antibiotics, but kidney infections require 7-14 days to feel better. Prostate infections sometimes require treatment for up to a month. So there's a huge range!

But males are blessed with a long urethra, which pretty much insulates us from getting infections from wet or messy diapers, no matter how long they are worn. (Women's bodies are different, though, and they probably need to be very careful in this regard.) Not changing often enough is likely to be an issue for skin health in a man, but should not be blamed for UTIs. UTIs are fluky, or due to poor drainage (bad bladder mechanics/function or an oversized prostate due to aging--why older men have more trouble than younger men).

Standard disclaimer: Of course, this is general info, and should not be mistaken for medical advice...talk to your doctor if you are having symptoms that worry you.
I appreciate you being in the medical field and replying. Do you know how you would get a Prostate infection? It’s weird, no burning when peeing, no fever, no back pain or other symptoms. I only have blood in semen and my dr did a urinalysis and other checks for std. Prostate came back ok and std’s came back negative. The urinalysis came back positive for urinary track infection. So weird, maybe everyone’s body reacts differentl. Thank you again!

ieyasu said:
It sounds like you had sepsis. I had a severe kidney infection about 18 months ago due to a kidney stone. I ended up with sepsis before I acted on the pain. What I thought was going to be a simple visit to the doctor turned into emergency inpatient surgery. I lived but 1 out of 6 don't so I consider myself lucky. Next time I won't wait the 20 hours that I did that time.

-Ieyasu
What is sepsis

Beloney said:
I appreciate you being in the medical field and replying. Do you know how you would get a Prostate infection? It’s weird, no burning when peeing, no fever, no back pain or other symptoms. I only have blood in semen and my dr did a urinalysis and other checks for std. Prostate came back ok and std’s came back negative. The urinalysis came back positive for urinary track infection. So weird, maybe everyone’s body reacts differentl. Thank you again!
To properly diagnose an infected or enlarged prostate they need to do the following tests:
- blood test for white bloodcells, optionally have them do a PSA test
- sonar on lower abdomen for cloudy areas
- cystoscopy to look with a camera to see inside whats wrong

Then they're sure.

Beloney said:
Do you know how you would get a Prostate infection?

Hard to know in most cases. There are some that are clearly from having had a urological procedure (biopsy, scope, catheter), and they do seem more common if there is something wrong with your anatomy (scar tissue, stricture, oversized prostate). But in my practice, it seems kind of flukey.

Beloney said:
What is sepsis

Basically, sepsis is when the infection "gets into your bloodstream". It's a problem because your body generally reacts aggressively to this, causing severe (sometimes life-threatening) symptoms like high fever and low blood pressure. It is a medical emergency. This is why, if you have urinary symptoms and severe pain or fever, it is important to seek medical care right away.

Update, today I went to urgent care and had another urinalysi, then a Prostate and there is no Prostatiti. However, the dr did find a mass in my left side of testical / scrotum and urged me to see a urologist with ultra sound, he also pulled more blood work to determine other infection. So more dr appointments for the mass and I don’t know what causes that. My female care primary provider missed that during routine hand inspection down there.🤷🏽‍♂️. I’m getting tired! Thx all so much for feedback and support. Rough day today. I wear 24/7 and the dr was very professional and understood with my history of OAB/and IBS. My Dr provides a prescription for briefs and Toviaz! Ugh. Night, update later.

Back