DiaperSWAG

From Cleveland, Ohio
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
So this winter i unfortunately have to get my foot/ankle operated on again. Its been 12 years since my last operation. I didnt wear diapers 24/7 then so i just wore regular underwear when i went in for my surgery. Now i wear 24/7 for urine incontinence and was curious should i say something to the doctor about it at my next office visit or just show up on the day of the surgery and let the nurse know then? Also i have to get a cat scan done here soon before i go back and see the doctor; do i have to worry about a hospital gown for that? Never had a cat scan before and theres a good chance the person who will be doing it is a good friends wife and a little worried about that. I know patient confidentiality and all but people still talk. I just dont want anyone looking at me differently and i also dont want to have an accident either because that would be more embarrassing

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
DiaperSWAG said:
So this winter i unfortunately have to get my foot/ankle operated on again. Its been 12 years since my last operation. I didnt wear diapers 24/7 then so i just wore regular underwear when i went in for my surgery. Now i wear 24/7 for urine incontinence and was curious should i say something to the doctor about it at my next office visit or just show up on the day of the surgery and let the nurse know then? Also i have to get a cat scan done here soon before i go back and see the doctor; do i have to worry about a hospital gown for that? Never had a cat scan before and theres a good chance the person who will be doing it is a good friends wife and a little worried about that. I know patient confidentiality and all but people still talk. I just dont want anyone looking at me differently and i also dont want to have an accident either because that would be more embarrassing
If it's a CT rather than an MRI, and just for your foot and ankle, wear pants with loose enough legs that you can pull the pants leg up. If it's MRI, you'll have to gown up - but as long as you have no diaper pins, snaps, or metallic diaper accessories your diaper can remain undisturbed and you can wear plastic, pvc, PUL, or cloth diaper cover without snaps. For MRI, make sure not to wear undershorts that have a button or snap closure on the fly. They can give you 2 gowns, to cover your back and your front simultaneously, and if it's *only* for your foot and ankle, they have no business feeling around in the pelvis area. IF THEY PLAN TO HARVEST BONE GRAFT FROM YOUR PELVIC CREST(S) AND NEED IMAGES OF YOUR PELVIS FOR THAT REASON, YOUR DIAPER WILL SHOW.

Sorry to shout that last bit, but I wanted to make sure you knew that part. 🙂

And, yes, tell your doctor about your U-IC and ask if you will need to be catheterized at surgery time, or whether you should bring your own spare diapers rather than using the hospital ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, DiaperSWAG and Edgewater
As you classify as Incontinent, that should mean that your medical records include that description of your medical condition.

As stated above. Yes, you should always speak about your incontinence as not ever has access to your full medical records or will read it. Most surgeries now require a pre-surgery meeting to assure it is safe to proceed.

Hospitals commonly prefer using their cheap medical diapers and just change you more often. I do not understand why, but they do!!

Reactions: Diprs2, Pino, DiaperSWAG and 1 other person
Edgewater said:
As you classify as Incontinent, that should mean that your medical records include that description of your medical condition.

As stated above. Yes, you should always speak about your incontinence as not ever has access to your full medical records or will read it. Most surgeries now require a pre-surgery meeting to assure it is safe to proceed.

Hospitals commonly prefer using their cheap medical diapers and just change you more often. I do not understand why, but they do!!
Probably to try to reduce reportable rashes and sores from infrequent changes. Those are considered a negative outcome, and reflect badly on the hospital's standard of care.

Reactions: Edgewater
AttilaThePun said:
If it's a CT rather than an MRI, and just for your foot and ankle, wear pants with loose enough legs that you can pull the pants leg up. If it's MRI, you'll have to gown up - but as long as you have no diaper pins, snaps, or metallic diaper accessories your diaper can remain undisturbed and you can wear plastic, pvc, PUL, or cloth diaper cover without snaps. For MRI, make sure not to wear undershorts that have a button or snap closure on the fly. They can give you 2 gowns, to cover your back and your front simultaneously, and if it's *only* for your foot and ankle, they have no business feeling around in the pelvis area. IF THEY PLAN TO HARVEST BONE GRAFT FROM YOUR PELVIC CREST(S) AND NEED IMAGES OF YOUR PELVIS FOR THAT REASON, YOUR DIAPER WILL SHOW.

Sorry to shout that last bit, but I wanted to make sure you knew that part. 🙂

And, yes, tell your doctor about your U-IC and ask if you will need to be catheterized at surgery time, or whether you should bring your own spare diapers rather than using the hospital ones.
Thanks! I only have to get a ct of my left foot before my next visit with the surgeon. He wants to make sure my first bone fusion is completely fused before we do these next two.

Reactions: Edgewater and AttilaThePun
DiaperSWAG said:
Thanks! I only have to get a ct of my left foot before my next visit with the surgeon. He wants to make sure my first bone fusion is completely fused before we do these next two.
You're very welcome, and I wish you the best of luck!

I'm having shoulder surgery in a week. I'm a bedwetter. My worry was when I was under I would wet. I was told that is why they have you fast before surgery. One is so you don't puke why under but also help reduce soiling the bed while under . She said it can happen even if you don't have continence issues. So I'm not worrying about it.

Reactions: Edgewater and AttilaThePun
Well, most has been said and maybe it is in Germany a little different than in the US. I do tell the hospital when being registered and the nurse doing the introduction in the room during survey. Independently of the fact it is in my records. I do always bring my own diapers with me.
For an MRI or CT (only) i would no longer inform anybody again, to much discussions for nothing in the last years.
For the surgery it is common practice in Germany to get a Foley when getting full anesthesia (for anybody) and in my case i will just let it in place longer than necessary for that reason only, it reduces stress on my side and prevents any leaks that may happen with diapers.
In a hospital situation i am not embarrassed at all, in my usual hospital are working some friends of mine, they do not know yet, but i would not be ashamed when they realize. In the end it is their job and when they talk, it is that way, There is a medical reason i do wear, so what.

Reactions: deanlamark80, Edgewater and AttilaThePun
Pino said:
Well, most has been said and maybe it is in Germany a little different than in the US. I do tell the hospital when being registered and the nurse doing the introduction in the room during survey. Independently of the fact it is in my records. I do always bring my own diapers with me.
For an MRI or CT (only) i would no longer inform anybody again, to much discussions for nothing in the last years.
For the surgery it is common practice in Germany to get a Foley when getting full anesthesia (for anybody) and in my case i will just let it in place longer than necessary for that reason only, it reduces stress on my side and prevents any leaks that may happen with diapers.
In a hospital situation i am not embarrassed at all, in my usual hospital are working some friends of mine, they do not know yet, but i would not be ashamed when they realize. In the end it is their job and when they talk, it is that way, There is a medical reason i do wear, so what.
As you've said, it is common practice to get a Foley catheter for surgery with full anesthesia - and I live in the USA. It is typical for keeping track of fluid intake and output so as to make sure the kidneys are working properly, and it also prevents potential falls by keeping people from needing to get out of bed to pee while groggy from anesthetic aftereffects and pain medication. I also had one for my knee replacement under spinal anesthesia, which temporarily numbs you from the waist down and leaves you unable to control your bladder. I was not yet U-IC when I had that done, but I will certainly discuss my U-IC with my surgeon if I get the other knee replaced, or for any other surgery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pino and Edgewater
I have had multiple spinal procedures and many X-rays, CT and MRI scans along the way. I wear the Tena Slip Maxi Active Fit adult nappies 24/7. I am lucky to have private medical insurance and have never had a problem with any of the medical staff, including having to be changed when wet. I avoid catheters as I always get a UTI! The only time I ever had a problem was in an NHS hospital when I was constantly left in wet nappies and also had to supply my own.

• Wow
Back