Underground Exploration

BabyBoy2023

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
Storm sewers, former escape tunnels, old military bunkers... if it's under the ground, I am interested in it. As a kid, my brothers, cousins, and I explored storm drains under the suburbs of Omaha. What were some of the neatest or freakiest undergound places you have been, and why?

Reactions: CrazySmoker and Cottontail
BabyBoy2023 said:
What were some of the neatest or freakiest undergound places you have been, and why?
I won't go into details here (publicly or privately), but in short: I was a very active urban explorer from about 1995 to 2005, and I still maintain a presence on UER. My group mainly explored utility tunnels on two university campuses, and the maps and videos we created are still circulated online. Unfortunately for those who are simply curious like we were, the political climate is no longer friendly to these kinds of activities. I would strongly advise would-be explorers to read and watch whatever they can find online and leave it at that. It was a fun hobby while its innocence lasted.

Last edited:
Cottontail said:
I won't go into details here (publicly or privately), but in short: I was a very active urban explorer from about 1995 to 2005, and I still maintain a presence on UER. My group mainly explored utility tunnels on two university campuses, and the maps and videos we created are still circulated online. Unfortunately for those who are simply curious like we were, the political climate is no longer friendly to these kinds of activities. I would strongly advise would-be explorers to read and watch whatever they can find online and leave it at that. It was a fun hobby while its innocence lasted.
I think it would be cool if someone could buy a bunch of land and develop a safe environment for UE and alike. Yeah, that's right. Put together a bunch of different size concrete drainage pipes in a whole network, but make it safe (no passage of storm runoff or sewage of any kind.) I think it would be a cool place to fool around in either above or below ground.

Reactions: Someoneonline and Cottontail
BabyBoy2023 said:
I think it would be cool if someone could buy a bunch of land and develop a safe environment for UE and alike. Yeah, that's right. Put together a bunch of different size concrete drainage pipes in a whole network, but make it safe (no passage of storm runoff or sewage of any kind.) I think it would be a cool place to fool around in either above or below ground.
Ha ha, that does sound fun. Maybe add laser tag to the mix as well. I'd totally pay for that.

me and a friend checked out an abandoned mine in north wales a few months back, it was a bit of a job to get there as the access involved driving down forest service roads and overgrown tracks but it was well worth it. the mine was in the side of a big hill so it didn't go down far but went a long way in like 200 metres. we only made it halfway in as it was quite flooded but we found a really deep hole off the side of the main shaft which we threw some rocks down. there was also an old crane which had been taken over by nature just outside the mine which is what you see in the picture below. overall great if slightly spooky experience.20230709_124104.jpg

Reactions: feetintrouble
I love visiting underground places. Some of the most notable ones I have visited are:
- Disused coal mine in Wales, United Kingdom, open as a museum; you wear a hard hat and lamp, like the miners did, and go down in the lift shaft; and you're encouraged to turn the lights off to see what pitch black is really like. I went when I was six years old, and again more recently.
- The "Catacombs" in Paris: burial chambers, full of stacked skulls and bones.
- The Shanghai Tunnels in Portland, Oregon, in which people were "Shanghaied" (kidnapped) to work on the sea. This was done by using a pretty woman to lure them to stand above a trapdoor in the bar above, which would open, and send them hurtling into the depths.
- The "Secret Nuclear Bunker" in England: an underground government headquarters built in case of a nuclear attack. It is a time warp of 1980s equipment.
- Wartime tunnels in the white cliffs of Dover.

On the London Underground, I have been in a train cab, and seen what it looks like from the driver's view. It's very different from what you see as a passenger: the tunnels are extremely dark and narrow (on many lines, the train only just fits inside them), unlike the brightly lit stations and trains. That's often a thing about public underground places: when they're brightly lit, they don't feel underground. There a photo of the Queen in the Bank of England vault, surrounded by gold bars, and again, it's brightly lit; not how you might imagine an underground bank vault to be. There's also a bar in the City of London which is a former bank, and in the basement, you can see the actual vaults and heavy doors. Someone I know walked inside the Channel Tunnel linking England and France before it started running.

I'd love to go down storm drains, sewers; and London is full of underground rivers which have been built over.

@superlittle04 Where in Wales is that crane and mine shaft?

There is a place in Branson, MO called Fritz's Adventure that has a wide variety of activities and includes an underground crawling exploration area - that said not as extensive as what you describe but something very basically close to the idea.

Reactions: Someoneonline
BabyBoy2023 said:
Storm sewers, former escape tunnels, old military bunkers... if it's under the ground, I am interested in it. As a kid, my brothers, cousins, and I explored storm drains under the suburbs of Omaha. What were some of the neatest or freakiest undergound places you have been, and why?
Sounds really cool.
I’ve been in the underground vaults In Edinburgh, quite creepy and supposedly haunted, well wort a visit, I love things like this.

Reactions: Someoneonline
feetintrouble said:
I love visiting underground places. Some of the most notable ones I have visited are:
- Disused coal mine in Wales, United Kingdom, open as a museum; you wear a hard hat and lamp, like the miners did, and go down in the lift shaft; and you're encouraged to turn the lights off to see what pitch black is really like. I went when I was six years old, and again more recently.
- The "Catacombs" in Paris: burial chambers, full of stacked skulls and bones.
- The Shanghai Tunnels in Portland, Oregon, in which people were "Shanghaied" (kidnapped) to work on the sea. This was done by using a pretty woman to lure them to stand above a trapdoor in the bar above, which would open, and send them hurtling into the depths.
- The "Secret Nuclear Bunker" in England: an underground government headquarters built in case of a nuclear attack. It is a time warp of 1980s equipment.
- Wartime tunnels in the white cliffs of Dover.

On the London Underground, I have been in a train cab, and seen what it looks like from the driver's view. It's very different from what you see as a passenger: the tunnels are extremely dark and narrow (on many lines, the train only just fits inside them), unlike the brightly lit stations and trains. That's often a thing about public underground places: when they're brightly lit, they don't feel underground. There a photo of the Queen in the Bank of England vault, surrounded by gold bars, and again, it's brightly lit; not how you might imagine an underground bank vault to be. There's also a bar in the City of London which is a former bank, and in the basement, you can see the actual vaults and heavy doors. Someone I know walked inside the Channel Tunnel linking England and France before it started running.

I'd love to go down storm drains, sewers; and London is full of underground rivers which have been built over.

@superlittle04 Where in Wales is that crane and mine shaft?
How far down did you get in Dover ?

Have done various from asylums, to bunkers, to hangers (underground) and abandoned schools and ww2 tunnel complexes of which there are several well known in this area, as well as forts on land and sea, and underground reservoirs.

As train pilot frequently you can visit tunnels. But I visited some underground levels of gas electric plant. Same at one refinery installations of BP. A few military bankers...

I grew up in coal country and there were always abandoned mines that were explored.

Reactions: superlittle04
During the years I've visited tunnels and vaults, but found the most telling ethnographic environments in mausoleums, functional and abandoned. The furniture and furnishings that survive say so much about the community left behind.

Usually wealthy, occasionally eccentric, the passing of silent, lightless and dank time take its toll on the fashions of the once present. Sometimes the wreck of opulence left behind can be surprisingly erotic, and the results of past excesses only fuel the passions.

But as @Cottontail says, times have changed and underground archeology has become risky, even dangerous.

feetintrouble said:
@superlittle04 Where in Wales is that crane and mine
The mine was out in some hills east of the village Machynlleth, Hell on earth made a video there:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Great moviemaking and storytelling!! Thank you and the crew for posting.
Cheers, Scuttlebutt

the video is nothing to do with me but its quite good

BabyBoy2023 said:
I was just in an underground “ stone chamber” on Thursday in some New England woods. It was constructed by unknown peoples. We had to wade through about 24” of water to get into the main chamber where we could stand up.
Awesome!

I absolutely love exploring abandoned buildings. Me and my mate go exploring regularly over here in the UK. I wouldn't say we're URBEX and we don't record the places we're seeing, aside from the occasional phone pic if it's something unusual/interesting.

Our most recent exploration was an old WW1/2 fort on a small in-land island. I say 'in-land' because you could probably walk across the water if you were brave enough lol, it's not that deep. We used an inflatable boat and paddles though as it was more convenient. It was pretty amazing tbh, dangerous too as it was surrounded by stagnant water that has, over the years, eroded the foundations. The walls were crumbling, there was 'death pit holes' on the upper levels if you fell through you'd more than likely break both legs. The smell was musty/damp/rotten wood. One thing I always love looking at is the old furniture, items and stuff you can find inside still left behind. They tell a story.

I've also explored some WW2 bunkers hidden in the woods where I live locally, most of them 'slope' underground a short ways and they're pitch black inside due to no natural light. My biggest fear exploring these places is that someone is living there, you know? Like someone who is homeless and using it as a shelter, disrupting them is never an intention but you just don't know how people would react to your presence lol. We've never encountered anyone else whilst exploring, but we have seen evidence of people living in the places we explore. I don't think I'd have the courage to explore anywhere alone, that's asking for trouble and with my bad luck I know I'd end up being in bad situation 😅

warmfeeling said:
Sounds really cool.
I’ve been in the underground vaults In Edinburgh, quite creepy and supposedly haunted, well wort a visit, I love things like this.I believe the Enchen-Down oil reserve is located there as well. Though it isn't used anymore, its huge empty oil storage tanks lure sound enthusiasts and musicians due to their 40-second reverberation time. There are videos on Youtube of people shooting starter pistols in the vessels, playing saxophones, etc. just to hear that awesome reverb.

CLPP said:
I was just in an underground “ stone chamber” on Thursday in some New England woods. It was constructed by unknown peoples. We had to wade through about 24” of water to get into the main chamber where we could stand up.
Awesome!
Where in New England are these tunnels

Boyindiapers said:
Where in New England are these tunnels
Not tunnels. Cavelike stone structures built into hillsides mostly. All over. Many on private land but many on public lands as well.
Check out NEARA.com

The next place I am going to visit is Mystery Hill a/k/a America’s Stonehenge in Salem, NH. I have been there many times for over the years and it is fascinating.

Back