Travelling without teddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
LifeGoesOn223 said:
When I do travel for long periods for a few nights away I'll typically find myself on a plane. And I am self conscious that security is gonna some how spot my teddy. And also the fact that I feel silly for thinking of bringing it.

Thats why when I travel I dont take my teddy, but after about 3 days I normally regret it.

- - - Updated - - -

Awwww...thats very nice of the house keeping to do, have you met them? And I think you quite brave taking a plushy around publicly. I would but I'm too self conscious and the fact I still go to school means gossip can go bad.

- - - Updated - - -

LifeGoesOn223 said:
When I do travel for long periods for a few nights away I'll typically find myself on a plane. And I am self conscious that security is gonna some how spot my teddy. And also the fact that I feel silly for thinking of bringing it.
Well, I've got to ask -- and I'm not trying to be a jerk -- but what do you think might happen if security does spot your teddy?

That said, you can take it from me someone who travels openly with my 'teddy' Big Red right in my hands. You can see from he photo linked that Big Red is not by any means inconspicuous. He's big. He's fire-engine red. He's ferocious looking. He just commands attention. He's in arm when I hand my boarding pass and ID to the TSA screener. Unfortunately, to Big Red's chagrin my unassuming black backpack garners more attention then he does :( The baggage screener routinely pulls it aside because the x-ray machine thinks my Wii-U and it's video and power cables inside my backpack could possibly be something else instead. So they have to take a look, then swab it for explosives, and all while I'm standing right next to them with Big Red.

The TSA security screeners don't give a flying fart about Big Red at all :(

- - - Updated - - -
KimbaStarshine said:
I agree, cool blanket, and the Charmander and Mew plushies are cute too.
The charmander I call Cinnamon. It's a play off of Big Red. Can you guess the connection? :rolleyes: :cool:

- - - Updated - - -
LifeGoesOn223 said:
Awwww...thats very nice of the house keeping to do, have you met them? And I think you quite brave taking a plushy around publicly. I would but I'm too self conscious and the fact I still go to school means gossip can go bad.
I only ever see the house keeping staff in the hall in the morning as I leave. Now -- I don't take Big Red with me to work or such, but he is like a traveling companion. He's gone to the Legend of Zelda symphonies. He went with me to see the Nintendo World store in Manhattan! He went with me to see the Empire State building. He went with me to TeddyCon (duh!). He travels with me to my friends houses. I'll occasionally bring him along in the car while I go shopping. But I leave him in the car while I shop.

Seriously, traveling is stressful. No one is going to begrudge you a comfort object / traveling companion.

We actually found a teddy bear museum/store when travelling. We went out and got our bears out of the car so they couuld get their pictures taken with the ones inside.

I don't know how people will react to this, but: I have a stuffed Kitty. It used to have a voicebox thing in it, and hasn't worked since as long as i can remember, have considered cutting into it to see if I can get it to work again, and the icing on the cake, haven't seen it since I left for the military. Doesn't bother me one bit. Not at all. I know it's safe and I don't "sleep" with it, like in my arms, but I do keep it in plain sight. I plan to have in my casket in my funeral, but before I am frozen, or whatever buried, idk what I want just yet, probably frozen in a lab, I'll want my kid to have it, then to pass it down generations.

This thread is so cute. Bless.

I ended up going to the city for the weekend and there was no way alive was staying home. I'm very glad I brought him with me, sleeping has been much better. Besides the emotional comfort aspect, he really helps me physically. I pulled my shoulder really badly (but not badly enough to need surgury) and he helps keep my arm raised when sleeping on my side. Stuff it's are the best <3

StayneLion said:
I ended up going to the city for the weekend and there was no way alive was staying home. I'm very glad I brought him with me, sleeping has been much better. Besides the emotional comfort aspect, he really helps me physically. I pulled my shoulder really badly (but not badly enough to need surgury) and he helps keep my arm raised when sleeping on my side. Stuff it's are the best <3
Yaye :D Stuffies are the best. I probably have about 100 or more. There are 30+ I can count near me right now. not counting all the ones in my closet, the next room over, and downstairs.

willnotwill said:
We actually found a teddy bear museum/store when travelling. We went out and got our bears out of the car so they couuld get their pictures taken with the ones inside.
ooo wow! Where was this? I've never thought about the existence of a place until now. Now, mind you, I don't have a literal teddy bear -- unless a Coca Cola polar bear counts as one.... I abstract the term teddy to be any plush / stuffed buddy. But, now that you mention it I'd have to think there would be a stuffed toy / animal museum, too.

At PAX AUS 2016 there were some people with teddys. And a guy in our FirstChurchOfTheHolySweetRoll group/cult has a teddy with him in all his facebook posts. But I might have one with a cosplay piece at PAX AUS 2017?

It's tough for me to understand how people become so attached to material possessions to the point that they are unable to live without them for even a week. I think it's more of a matter that you tell yourself you can't go without it, which is what causes you to not be able to.

Don't get me wrong, to me bringing a teddy or plushie with you on travels is perfectly acceptable. Even I tend to bring one along with me on travels. Heck, even in job corps I made a scene by placing plushies on my bed when we apparently were not suppose to XD. A lot of whispers occurred when people heard there was someone who put a bunch of plushies on their bed lol. It made me laugh a bit.

Anyway, I can live without them, though. It's really not an issue for me to not have to have them with me. I don't see it as being a healthy thing to become that attached to a material object. You may think it doesn't cause any sort of harm, but I personally think it does. What if something was to happen to where you had to go without it? Are you saying you couldn't cope? Or is this more of an ... over exaggeration sort of thing. Where many people think it's cute and childlike, and so they pretend as if they cannot go without a stuffed animal even though they actually can?

I do have some teddy bears, i bring them with me to feel more safe. I also truck some ponies with me too.

EmeraldRegice said:
I don't know how people will react to this, but: I have a stuffed Kitty. It used to have a voicebox thing in it,

Was it an electric thing or just a squeaker? If it was electric, the battery is probably long dead. You'll need to perform surgery on her to get it out. You may be able to replace the battery and restore it to the former behavior or you can just put a new 'voice' in her. They're readily available.

It isn't a matter of being able to live with them or not, but living more comfortably.

I can live without wearing a diaper, but being incontinent I prefer to as it's more comfortable. I can also live without my teddy, but I actually prefer to be less stressed out- especially in a strange bed I'm not used to. My teddy does this so I take her with me most everywhere I go.

Slomo said:
It isn't a matter of being able to live with them or not, but living more comfortably.

I can live without wearing a diaper, but being incontinent I prefer to as it's more comfortable. I can also live without my teddy, but I actually prefer to be less stressed out- especially in a strange bed I'm not used to. My teddy does this so I take her with me most everywhere I go.

Going to assume this is a reply to what I said.
That is sort of my point. Many here act as if it's impossible to go without, and I'm just pointing out it's not a good thing if that is actually the case. It being a matter of just being comfortable is very different than it being a matter that you can't get by without it XD.

For example, the OP mentioned they have literally ended holidays just to get back to their teddy XD. That to me ... shows a clear sign of dependence on an inanimate object to an unhealthy degree.
Then you have some stating that without their plushie they don't have good nights. Again, doesn't anyone else find that a tad bit concerning?
Then you have someone taking advantage of their employer by packing an entire bag full of stuffed animals x.x ... how are the stuffed animals business related or even required? I mean, I can understand bringing one, but a full bag just cause you know your employer is going to pay seems a bit on the naughty side. And no one even mentions it, it just sort of gets ignored like as if it's entirely normal to do XD. I just hope he had gotten permission from their employer to do that, cause if they find out ... could get into trouble XD.

I mean as I said, don't get me wrong ... I don't think there is a problem with wanting to have a plushie with you on travels. It's totally fine, but when you hear things like that, it seems to me some take the whole thing a little too far or have become way too attached.

Well no, I don't see that as concerning. Holidays can be very stressful on their own. If a teddy bear can reduce that stress for someone then why would you expect them to go without it?

As for being job related, there is a connection. When you're on a business trip you're expected to be well rested and attentive for that trip. Again, if a teddy bear can help someone achieve that l, then why would you expect them not to.

As I mentioned before, it's like with my wearing a diaper. I don't technically need one in spite of being incontinent. They certainly help me get through my work day and sleep better at night though. I'd be stupid not to be wearing one. Do you see a concerning reason why I shouldn't be wearing one? Likely not. So why do you see a concern with sleeping with a teddy?

Slomo said:
Well no, I don't see that as concerning. Holidays can be very stressful on their own. If a teddy bear can reduce that stress for someone then why would you expect them to go without it?

As for being job related, there is a connection. When you're on a business trip you're expected to be well rested and attentive for that trip. Again, if a teddy bear can help someone achieve that l, then why would you expect them not to.

As I mentioned before, it's like with my wearing a diaper. I don't technically need one in spite of being incontinent. They certainly help me get through my work day and sleep better at night though. I'd be stupid not to be wearing one. Do you see a concerning reason why I shouldn't be wearing one? Likely not. So why do you see a concern with sleeping with a teddy?

Hahaha, all true. I tend to sleep much better and when I can sleep longer I do with teddy and diaper on. I have thought about it and I dont think places like airports would rember your face. They have thousands of people go through each day that it all may be the same.

Believe me teddy bears are MUCH more accepted than diapers. Everybody knows I keep bears. There's a giant 56" one (his name is Bob) in my office. There are other random ones all over. Then what happens is someone finds out you collect such things and they keep showing up as gifts as well. Even my very, very, straight laced sister-in-law has given me bears as presents.

I always cuddle my Tails plush half to death when I'm asleep. He's so fluffy and he comforts me somehow when I've had a nightmare.

Drynites96 said:
I always cuddle my Tails plush half to death when I'm asleep. He's so fluffy and he comforts me somehow when I've had a nightmare.
It's a good thing that plushie physiology is different, isn't it? Otherwise they'd never survive! :grouphug:

I have never been anywhere without my classic Winnie the Pooh so I don't know what it's like haha but I can imagine it would be awful to forget/leave your Teddy behind.

BluMew said:
It's a good thing that plushie physiology is different, isn't it? Otherwise they'd never survive! :grouphug:

Yeah I love my Tails plush but I'm also a bit embarrassed because I still sleep with plushies...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back