The Horror! The Horror!

slimjiminy

Diabetes, type-2
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Well, it finally happened as I feared it might someday. I had my first BM blowout when I got home from shopping today. I had urges while shopping but was able to keep it suppressed. Driving home helped because it remains suppressed when I'm sitting down. But as soon as I was unloading the truck, that nagging urge started again. I should have ran to the toilet right then and there but thought I could keep it under wraps. Instead, as I was carrying in the last items, I could feel it pushing out.

In the words of Marlon Brando (Apocalypse Now), "The Horror! The Horror!"

I'm making light of it now but it was a traumatic cleanup experience. Thankfully I've been taking chlorophyll copper capsules for a while, just in case. But I can still smell it in my mind. Yuk.

How do folks deal with this on a daily/weekly basis? I only suppose you do what you have to do.

What have I learned today?
  • It can happen to me (sh*t!)
  • Plastic pants saved my jeans. I usually don't wear them when I go out.
  • Pull-ups (Molicare Mobile) don't fully contain a BM (this I knew, but didn't expect to have confirmation)
  • No more coffee or Egg McMuffins when I am out for any length of time.
  • I'll be wearing a brief + plastic pants in the future if I think there is any further risk.
  • This totally sucks!
Thankfully it happened at home. It could have been worse!

• Wow
  • Thinking
Reactions: fredy552, Jojo54, jdinvirginia and 7 others
Not fun at all! The first time is somewhat easy to joke about. The second time you realize the first time wasn't a fluke.

Good that the plastic pants saved your jeans. Now you need to address when it is appropriate to wear a pull-up versus something that can handle a BM blowout. Knowing how your body works when it's not working properly is a pain in the ass!

In spite of doing all I can to avoid them, the occasional accidental BMs are occurring more often. I'm going to speak to my gastroenterologist about it at my next appointment

Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2 and Pino
slimjiminy said:

How do folks deal with this on a daily/weekly basis? I only suppose you do what you have to do.
I'm not making fun of you (although it is kind of funny what you commented). I'm profoundly IC and I've been in diapers since forever so I have had a few of these accidents. And yes, a few in public. Indeed..."The Horror! The Horror!" Especially in public. I always use chlorophyll copper along with a quality disposable diaper, plastic pants and fixation shorts under my pants. I rarely have loose stools but I'm prone with pretty solid large BM's. If I wasn't wearing a good diaper I'd be screwed. I don't have to deal with this on a daily basis but I do deal with them weekly. And yes, I do what I have to do. My advice...prepare.

Reactions: jdinvirginia, Napincolove, Lethdale and 2 others
slimjiminy said:
….In the words of Marlon Brando (Apocalypse Now), "The Horror! The Horror!"
I was thinking more of the words of Herbert Morrison broadcasting the last arrival, and explosion, of the Hindenburg at the Naval Air Terminal in New Jersey “Oh, the humanity!”.

I don’t often get surprised since I’m 24/7 due to dual IC so that’s at least one check in the pro diapered 24/7 column.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater and Diprs2
I thought of the Hindenburg as well. I grew up living only a few miles from Lakehurst Navel Air Station and I have some knives from the Hindenburg. As for blowouts, yes, I would be mortified. I hope things improve for you.

Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2 and Zeke
I read a story on a diaper company’s forum years about a woman who had a blowout during a job interview. A week later she got the usual “ thanks for visiting us but we found someone more suited to our needs” letter and a bill for $300 for the rug and chair cleanup.

• Wow
Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2 and dogboy
I thought of the Hindenburg as well.
That indeed, was very tragic.

Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2, DorsetDiaper and 1 other person
Sure seems like a very bad moment for that to happen. But all sort of things always happen when you dont want it. I hope no one else notes but it sure is a very messy things to clean up.

Well, s#it happens.

• Haha
Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2, dogboy and 1 other person
slimjiminy said:
Well, it finally happened as I feared it might someday. I had my first BM blowout when I got home from shopping today. I had urges while shopping but was able to keep it suppressed. Driving home helped because it remains suppressed when I'm sitting down. But as soon as I was unloading the truck, that nagging urge started again. I should have ran to the toilet right then and there but thought I could keep it under wraps. Instead, as I was carrying in the last items, I could feel it pushing out.

I'm making light of it now but it was a traumatic cleanup experience. Thankfully I've been taking chlorophyll copper capsules for a while, just in case. But I can still smell it in my mind. Yuk.

What have I learned today?
  • It can happen to me (sh*t!)
  • Plastic pants saved my jeans. I usually don't wear them when I go out.
  • Pull-ups (Molicare Mobile) don't fully contain a BM (this I knew, but didn't expect to have confirmation)
  • No more coffee or Egg McMuffins when I am out for any length of time.
  • I'll be wearing a brief + plastic pants in the future if I think there is any further risk.
  • This totally sucks!
Yes, but like any tragedy you survive it makes you stronger and wiser (hopefully!). Those type of events always look better looking back than when you’re facing them! Some of them we can even manage to laugh at when enough time passes.

I can easily laugh off the past. But it's not very funny looking forward.

The challenge is that I must now be prepared for fecal accidents in addition to urinary when away from home/toilet. U-IC was so easy. So I need to figure out what to wear for daytime outings that is both safe and comfortable. I didn't even have coffee going out this morning! A first -- I didn't want to relive the experience.

slimjiminy said:

The challenge is that I must now be prepared for fecal accidents in addition to urinary when away from home/toilet. U-IC was so easy. So I need to figure out what to wear for daytime outings that is both safe and comfortable. I didn't even have coffee going out this morning! A first -- I didn't want to relive the experience.
I’m sure that you’ll learn the best way to deal with it just as you did with urinary incontinence.

slimjiminy said:

It gets easier if you look at it as a problem to solve with ongoing improvements to how you manage it. Always use your time wisely and try to stay ahead of your needs regarding your dual ic because it’s a bad rabbit if you let them get ahead of what you got!

Reactions: Edgewater
All I can say is it is a real $h1tty situation when it happens but oh well it happens. 😂. However putting all joking aside, I can relate as I've had them occasionally. myself (usually if I have something heavy or greasy) and for me it is more about reading my body or making sure that I am prepared. If I know I am going out and know I am going to be eating stuff that doesn't agree with me, I make sure I have brought extra protection (diapers), wipes, etc. However most of the time this happens when I am exercising or out and cannot control when it comes out, I either map out routes where I can go by places to stop or I make sure that if it were to happen, I am on the most direct route home and that when I get there I dispose of any soiled products and clean myself up. As for protection, I only use the tab or fastener style diapers (similar to what you use on a baby) as I find with other products Ie pull-ups or pads that they cause more of a mess than they prevent. I hope this helps and furthermore there others like you that are here for support.

Reactions: Edgewater
Illnesses and the joy of the 24 hour flu (food poisoning) has placed me in like positions over the years.

Long ago, I had accepted that I wear diapers and that is a reality. As a result, I do not wear for style, I wear for functionality with outer wear. Point being, I wear to cover the larger diaper and plastic pants demands. I have long ago become a strong believer in wearing to exceed the needs of the time, I will be out and about. If not needed, I simply smile and be happy that I did not need it!

Very sorry that this had happened to you good friend!

slimjiminy said:
"The Horror! The Horror!"
Daytime BM accidents are the worst. Of course being a U-IC/F-IC, it's important to be prepared. All of the comments give good ideas. It helps. Thankfully most of mine are rare (mostly when sleeping or the morning). But when they happen during the day, yeah, it's "the horror." Even though most people don't notice it only makes a few who know. Or even comment. It's hard to hide that "pooface." There's usually a warning time but with little control, the first look is panic and then surprise. According my girlfriend, she says I have a painful smile in my face. She knows right away that something is wrong. As soon as I load my diaper I have a face of shock. I remember when we had been at our farm market when I had a fairly large BM accident. That was the end of the trip. I haven't been able to continue the shopping. Even though I use chlorophyll I know that there would be a noticeable bulge. I couldn't wait until I got home. When it happens at home I still know that I have that face. Of course it could have been way worse.

Mapboy said:
If I know I am going out and know I am going to be eating stuff that doesn't agree with me, I make sure I have brought extra protection (diapers), wipes, etc. However most of the time this happens when I am exercising or out and cannot control when it comes out, I either map out routes where I can go by places to stop or I make sure that if it were to happen, I am on the most direct route home...
It's one challenge by yourself or with your spouse. But I find going out to breakfast/brunch/dinner with others is scary. Sure, there might be a washroom across the way in the diner, but do you want to potentially fail on your way over there, and potentially find the stall(s) occupied? And then the explanation that "I need to go home, sorry". It's a troubling new reality.

Reactions: jdinvirginia
Gopher attack

I have had a few BM accidents when out in the last yeàr or two, on each of those memorable occasions I have fortunately had a really good Nappy on with stretch or fixation pants covered with a PUL pant, I had to sit and rest as a bulge would have been evident and taking a rest was the only way to smooth out the back of my Nappy and apart from being very aware of walking downwind of everyone I am certain I got away with it on each occasion.
Being very regular in the BM department going out day or evening is generally not a problem but in these instances my bladder sensations of needing to go switched off before I could release, this always results in my total inability to let go of my bladder and after 10 to 15 minutes my Bowel gets so intense even sitting down does not stop me filling my Nappy and to top it all off my Bladder then lets go with a larger than normal output some minutes later !
It is what it is but like everyone else I could happily do without it and the clean up as that really sucks.

Last edited:
Stupid question, but what exactly is a BM blowout?

Back