Steam Deck.

tails1234

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Am I the only one excited for the Steam Deck? Now I will have a way to play my Steam library without being chained to a laptop.

Eh, seems like someone tries something like this every few years and it historically has flopped pretty hard. Last attempt being the nvidia shield.

Between phones and more established folks like Nintendo, they're trying to claw into a small niche that is already pretty saturated.

BoundCoder said:
Eh, seems like someone tries something like this every few years and it historically has flopped pretty hard. Last attempt being the nvidia shield.

Between phones and more established folks like Nintendo, they're trying to claw into a small niche that is already pretty saturated.
At least when valve has been trying new things they push the whole market forward because they give a real attempt along with a massive audience to try it. The steam controller pushed forward all controllers, the valve index pushed forward all VR sets, and I trust that the steamdeck will do the same.

but back to the topic, I know a lot of people who are super excited about it, I'm not personally just because I have no need for it, but I know that not everyone is in my position with a good computer. it's very budget friendly not to mention how easy it is to bring anywhere. I can see that kids will probably get the most use out of it, with a lot of adults using it a lot too, either from the crowd with too much money as a novelty of being able to game in bed or the crowd with not enough money using it as their main way to play pc games.

Reactions: KrankyPants and chiaochai
The reason I haven't bought a Switch? All the third party games are available on PC, where they're cheaper. This makes the Switch Lite my ideal handhold, though I'm still paying 200$ to play Zelda and Smash Bros, which ain't worth it for me.

The Steam Deck absolutely appeals to me... if I was into portable gaming at all. I'm just not. If I'm away from the computer, I've carrying a book. You know, paper and ink?

However, I am fascinated by how the Steam Deck runs all the current Steam games at a good frame rate, and at almost 1080p. Curious little thing that's happening... I feel Valve is capitalizing on the GPU shortage by using integrated AMD graphics. You might think 30-60 frames at 940p or whatever isn't good enough, but when you're looking at a small handheld screen, you'll never tell the difference.

Back