Songs That Help

Lightstreak2553

Insanity is the spice of life.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hi all,

In seeing Moo's PSA about mental health, I was inspired to try and open up a subject very personal to me in hopes of taking what helped me the most in my darkest moments with mental illness. Music has helped me the most in that regard, as I found certain song writers that in particular spoke words to the nightmare in my head and the agony of the daily existence it created. It was those artists who helped me cope when I needed to drown out the noise and fear in my head, that made me feel understood when no one else did, and that quite literally saved my life. Going through what I have led me to fall in love with the hard rock genre, as it's "loudness" helped me cope best with my anxiety. And in that vein I found artists who spoke to my pain in ways that helped me feel understood, and that generally just helped me to keep going when things got a bit too dark. With that in mind, I'd like to share some of those artists who helped me so perhaps someone who's going through their own struggles can find them and be helped the same way I was. The first I'd like to suggest is Citizen Soldier, a band particularly dedicated to singing directly about mental health issues and the struggles therein. They sing about everything from depression, anxiety, abuse, suicide, and just the many difficulties and struggles that come along with mental illness in such a raw and direct way that is purely powerful. Of note are their songs "Weight of the World", "I'm Not Okay", "Invisible", "Always December", "Neverending Nightmare", "Let It Burn", and "Hallelujah! (I'm Not Dead)". Much of their music deals with the heavy stuff, which helped me feel seen and understood with much of what was going on in my head. Those last two songs are more of a high note, encouraging the listener to continue fighting on when times are tough and celebrating our victories. In all it's a really raw band that has become one of my favorites both as a go to for comfort and just a good sound.

Another good band I found really spoke to my struggles was All Good Things. They're not really addressing mental health, but most of their songs are a battle anthem of sorts that just really helped me stay grounded and stay on my feet fighting when I wanted to give up. They're a really good band, and in particular "Fight", "Get Up", "A Hope In Hell", and "Hold On" are songs I really find helpful, as they each are sort of an inspirational song of sorts to keep one fighting their demons as long as it takes to win. There are plenty of others, such as certain songs from bands like From Ashes to New and Shinedown that really resonated with me, but these are the ones that helped me the most. Now, all this is to say is that no amount of music or any other coping mechanism is a good replacement for professional help. If you're in deep waters, please reach out to someone to talk to. Find someone trained to help you in a way that can be more thorough and impactful than any song or piece of advice on Adisc or from family could give. I can't stress that enough. Above all, just keep yourself safe.

That being said, I wanted to start this thread not just to share some of my favorite songs but to ask other members to share songs, stories, shows, whatever that helped them with their own mental health struggles, or that you just found helped you through a very tough time if you aren't someone who suffers from mental illness, in an effort to create a reservoir of musicians, shows, healthy coping methods, etc. that anyone who's struggling can look at to find potential aides by having all of us share the things that helped us in ours. So if you've got your own songs you'd like to share that helped you through a dark time, or a favorite story, series, etc. please share them here. Do try to keep it uplifting if possible, to avoid any potential triggers for those with trauma, and generally please do remain compassionate and helpful. As one of my favorite sayings goes, let's go by operation WAFFLE-O (We're All Friends, Friends Love Each Other) and try to help each other through the rough times.

Here are some of the songs I mentioned. I picked the ones that I felt might be the most impactful/beneficial to first-time listeners, but if anyone would like any other suggestions please feel free to ask me and I'll gladly suggest more. All of these artists are available on Spotify, Itunes, and generally any place you can listen to music.

A song I use a lot to help my mental health is Love and Happiness by Al Green. I like to listen to it to remind me what life is about. My brain will remind me constantly about suicide, anxiety, depression and misanthropy. I like music that tells my brain about the opposite when Im doing poorly.

Reactions: Lightstreak2553
Back