Something that I didn't know about Mary-Jane shoes.

Sissyleslie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Sissy
There is one thing that I was unaware about Mary-Jane shoes- how did they get their name?
Thanks to a TV quiz, now I know. They are named after a character in the "Buster Brown" comic strip.
So thanks to this comic strip, we have at least 2 sissy clothes/items which originated there - the Buster Brown suit and Mary-Jane shoes.

• Love
Reactions: ozzy4605, sissee, GabyinPurple and 5 others
Sissyleslie said:
There is one thing that I was unaware about Mary-Jane shoes- how did they get their name?
Thanks to a TV quiz, now I know. They are named after a character in the "Buster Brown" comic strip.
So thanks to this comic strip, we have at least 2 sissy clothes/items which originated there - the Buster Brown suit and Mary-Jane shoes.
Didn't know that but shoes aren't my thing. I did used to go to Buster Browns night club in Edinburgh back in the late 80s/early 90s though!

Sissyleslie said:
I didn't know that either, Leslie. They were very popular when I was young and are considered unisex. I had them in black, white and red, which got the most compliments-and the most whistles from the boys.🤭

• Love
Reactions: ozzy4605, sissee, LonelyFOX and 1 other person
Interesting isn't it, that many clothes are named after people or places?

BuddyBoy said:
I didn't know that either, Leslie. They were very popular when I was young and are considered unisex. I had them in black, white and red, which got the most compliments-and the most whistles from the boys.🤭
Yes, I remember going to my first school in mary-janes as did many boys at that time.

• Love
Reactions: ozzy4605, sissee, LonelyFOX and 1 other person
"Buster Brown" was a brand of children's shoes in the US when I was a kid. :geek:

Reactions: sissee and KBoy
LucyMarie said:
Yes, I remember going to my first school in mary-janes as did many boys at that time.
Thank you , Lucy Marie and a belated welcome to the gang.

Reactions: LucyMarie

• Love
Reactions: ozzy4605, sissee, KBoy and 2 others
dogboy said:
As someone who works as a Part-time Advertising Archive Assistant, thank you for the advertising clip, dogboy. Our Archives are mostly UK advertising, but we do have some American examples, mostly in books and trade journals.

Reactions: dogboy
I remember seeing this commercial when I was a little boy and television was relatively new. My wife had all the words to it memorized.

Reactions: Sissyleslie and KBoy
Sissyleslie said:
I love them so much and have since I saw my older sister and her friends wearing them because they are so girly AND school girls have to wear them

Stephlau2000 said:
I love them so much and have since I saw my older sister and her friends wearing them because they are so girly AND school girls have to wear them
We think of them as "girly"today but when I was growing-up the were worn by well dressed boys whose mothers favored feminine outfits for their sons. My mother got a lot of compliments for the way she dressed me and I got a lot of smiles and winks from the men.

When I was little, I had the brown and white "saddle shoes" which I guess is also a throwback, something close to the patent leather Mary Jane shoes.

dogboy said:
When I was little, I had the brown and white "saddle shoes" which I guess is also a throwback, something close to the patent leather Mary Jane shoes.
I remember them fondly and not just from when I was little.

Reactions: dogboy
Sissyleslie said:
When I was little they used to sell Buster Brown shoes & there used to be a Buster Brown store in Fall River Massachusetts that Mommy & Daddy used to take me to buy shoes.

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen and Sissyleslie
I even remember the Buster Brown commercials they showed on early TV. My mom bought me Stride Rite shoes however because the spiel of the day was that Stride Rite shoes were more healthy for your feet. They also were more expensive, something my parents could barely afford. My earlier shoes were the brown and white saddle shoes.

Back