So, the NDE i was talking about. (Discussions welcome)

OmiOMy

A padded elfin enby
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
Ok. So. Couple weeks ago, day after Halloween, I run into food that had my allergen in it. I went into big anaphylaxis. I'm still recovering. On top of that, I caught an uncommon bacterium that Normally only causes UTIs, but if you're immunocompromised, it also causes blood poisoning and pneumonia.

I got all of it.

I'm busted up and trying to recover.

I managed to write down the experience after and have been debating posting it. But this experience hit in such a fundamentally altering way that if you don't have context, you don't have context for ME anymore.

So, I'm posting it, with minimal alterations, today.

----------

I almost died on the first, just the other day.

We were eating a breakfast cheese and cracker plate, leftovers from the Samhain feast. I was chowing down on fancy cheeses, crackers,, and fruit. We were discussing the bad luck of our delicious bacon-bourbon-brown sugar tenderloin containing juniper, and the sheer luck we had stopping that reaction.

As he leaves the room for a minute I decide to have the Gardettos with a bit of brie. Delicious, violently crunchy.

My swallow gets stuck. Not in the usual way it does occasionally.

Air is not happening.

Oh fuck.

I pull myself off the couch and try to get to my backpack.

"Babe?" The word comes out with effort.

"What?" He sounded a bit annoyed but I had to go on.

All I managed was "It's...Gardettos." Then I get my first breath in in the last 45 seconds.

That noise apparently explained everything. When he comes out of the bathroom I'm suffocating and can barely breathe.

My last clear memory was walking toward my fiance, holding an EpiPen, not breathing.

I could not tell you how I got to the couch. I just remember collapsing on it. Then there was a light, and the faint sound of a choir. Y'all, I am not making this up.

I don't remember much after that. I couldn't get air anywhere. An EpiPen was administered. The PUNCH from it barely registers because it came with my breathing coming back.

But I couldn't move. Couldn't see. Breathing was on manual mode.

Boy was it dark.

And I was tired.

Too tired to breathe.

I do not remember getting hauled outside.

I'm not positive I remembered getting in.

The light. I'm moving. Up.

I attempted to yell at the light. All I got was a hideous inhale, but it vanished.

But came back. For longer this time. And this time it came with...music?

I could feel it: this body was trying to die.

I tried to thrash my body around, getting little better than squirming around. I had to fucking move, or I knew that was it—

A flash. This one brighter.

I can't go yet!

This time it felt different. I could feel that my body was spent, but that wasn't where I was. I was standing over my body, and through a midnight-and-stars rift, I saw him. My guide. His hand was out, golden hair cascading down, and what was that scent...then I recognized it.

"You're not just a Salvia trip."

"Of course not."

You know, basso voices' rumbles hit different when they don't have to be filtered by your body.

"You have to come with me."

"It's too early!"

When I tell you the look he gave ripped me apart...but he didn't look sad or upset with me...

"You know what could happen."

I did know what could happen. If you "get a tour and come back," the trip alters you in subtle ways. Many shamans and other spiritual leaders say that a near-death experience is the purest, most raw form of initiation there is. IF you come out of it right, things will be different for you. If you come back WRONG, it breaks something in your brain to the point that all you can do is pine for what you saw until you either Leave naturally, or forcibly Exit (that'd be literally sui), unable to properly integrate what you have seen into a unified existence.

"I know what could happen, but I'm asking to go anyway."

Then I jumped, hand raised upwards. I could feel the vibration around me fall away. I felt my spirit body reforming itself, shaping into something larger, more powerful. A name flashed in my head, and it caused this little 'jingling' noise in my head. It was one of mine, one that I knew only we knew. I saw my body forming into what matched my feelings—a perfect tribute in form to the integrated, idealized form I'd always felt to be the real one.

As it turns out, flying is like riding a bike after years of no practice: you wobble a bit at first but once you get going.

When our hands connected we rocketed upwards, until we were up so high we could see the edge of the earth, that line you see looking at the planet from low earth orbit.

I probably should have been watching him because soon there was a...THING, in the atmosphere. Everything went purple and black. I started feeling queasy. Note to self, eyes on the road.

"You'll recognize this," he said, as I looked around, and suddenly saw the buildings, the landmarks. Architecture that looked like it was a marriage of Greco-Roman and classical Japanese. Streets full—and skies full—of us. Lighting from powered crystal. The skies were unsullied by light pollution, and I could see the knife of stars in the sky forming part of the visible galaxy

This was not how I pictured it and it was delightful.

"Not much time. Eyes forward!"

I didn't just put my eyes forward, I closed them—that first jump tried to take me out.

As I was coming out of there, I swallowed hard to reset my head before I looked around.

And the sanctuary and temple are as I had seen them before: edge of dawn, violent red-to-black-blue sky. Quiet rippling lake. The columnhenges formed by the outside ritual setups. The obsidian pyramid.

"It's just like I thought," I say, aware that things are getting hazy somehow.

"One more stop."

"Forward?"

"Yes."

FSHWAM. Another flash of light, another burst of sound. By this point the chorus is constant.

We—no, I alone—come out in space. There is a rich, indescribable color to the darkness. I remember the Terry Pratchett gag about the color of magick before jolting to the realization that that's exactly what I'm looking at. I figure "neat color!" and I reach out to see it against me—

I'm either colored by a different form of space, or made of it. In the back of my hand—larger and more elegant than I'm used to—I can see stars, suns, entire galaxies. Around me, an unfamiliar solar system that I very gently, carefully touch and prod at.

I realize that I, as I stand (float?) here, am as incomprehensible to these people on these planets as the divine would have been. Too much to take in all at once, but if I can understand just a bit of it...maybe I can commune with it—

I suddenly realize: that's the difference.

It was never about control or subjugation. Ultimately, these are distinctions that mankind places over things it doesn't understand.

What if we offered not a fight, pushing things away, but rather an embrace? Find the worth, the beauty, in things without trying to place ourselves superior? I feel my universe-self expanding even as my solid boundaries stay the same. I have to hold it all, see it all.

I hover a starry hand over first one planet, then the next, wondering if they could see the vault of stars in my palms. I notice that there is a Saturn-like planet in my pinky finger.

As I bring my hand upwards to see it better two things happen:

First, the flash of light and chorus strike again, both lasting longer than last time. Suddenly I'm aware of my body on the stretcher again. The flash had come with convulsions, some of them sending VERY mixed messages to my body below.

Then I hear him in my head: "You have to go now."

"I haven't seen it all!"

"You will, but not if you don't go back soon!"

The flash fades and I can see (?) The inside of my ambulance. I'm sinking back down into my body, feet first. I'm too tired to fight him from letting me go, as much as I want to stay.

...I mean, it's been a few thousand years since we Traveled together like that.

The flash is a beam this time. The choir, a cymbal crash stretched out long.

Then, I see something unexpected in the light: my mom's face, looking more badass warrior than chic suburbanite.

Two words from her: "Not yet."

Darkness swallows me. I'm falling.

Falling.

Such a long way down.

Then nothing. What felt like ten seconds of nothing.

I realize just in time what I have to do. I'm so damned tired, but if I don't pull this off I'm not getting this second chance.

Every ounce of energy I have left goes to screaming "NOT YET" as loud as I can manage.

What actually happens, at my body level, is this (I'm told) disturbing sort of strangled "NYAAGH" rips out of me and I take an entire breath that I immediately choked on. I can't see, I can't open my eyes, and I feel like something is trying to wring me out.

Then I hear the paramedic: "You're okay, it only lasted about a minute. Had to get 3 Benadryl shots through you AND a load of prednisone. Just breathe."

Not gonna lie, the first thing my body actually let me do was just break down for most of the rest of the ride to the hospital. I was exhausted, I was in pain. I didn't have the energy to move, or talk, or cover my face. I was still breathing on manual, but now air was getting where it needed to be.

Then I made this pathetic noise as I realized that at some point while I was out, I'd had an accident on the stretcher and there was nothing I could do about it. The paramedic totally misinterpreted the noise, just reminding me to keep breathing.

Then my body really was done with me, and I basically was a zombie until the end of the exam they gave me at the ER.

It was my fiance and cousin who met me at the end. "Are you alright? Did they help?"

All I could say was: "I saw it. I know where I go" in this exhausted tone.

A ride was called. I am loaded into the car with the hospital blanket and a plushie.

I don't think I did anything after that. I frankly can only tell you that the things I remember clearly are the rye chip that put me critical on the couch and the trip afterwards.

I'm told I was GONE gone at least twice, with the first instance being on the couch.

I don't know what's next. I'm honestly a bit out of sorts.

At this point, all I can do is leave my offerings and rest.

Initiation is tiring after all.

• Wow
Reactions: Sapphyre, furry121 and MaxxH
I intended to reply to this when you first put it up. Sorry that I didn't and sorry you had to go through that.. I popped in today and was surprised and a little disturbed that it didn't get some discussion. The topic is certainly worthy on a couple of counts.

1. Anaphylaxis is no joking matter. It's a good thing that it's finally getting some media attention so people recognize it. Mrs. Maxx discovered she had a problem while visiting Maxxette a few years ago. A visit to the ER and subsequent testing revealed severe sensitivity to poison ivy and related plants. The episode was apparently triggered by Maxxette's neighbor burning some brush. Just inhaling a bit of the smoke set her off. She now carries an epipen everywhere.

2. Your NDE brings up some fascinating thoughts on the workings of the brain. While I'm somewhere between skeptic and undecided on the topic of paranormal, I do believe in the possibility that dreams and experiences like yours can predict future events. One dream in particular sticks with me from decades ago. I had a dream sometime in my teens about dying in a house fire, then coming back as a ghost and talking to my mom in the back yard. Some years later, there was a house fire that followed my dream in disturbing detail, except that I didn't die. My brother happened to be home on leave from the navy. He ripped my door off the hinges and yelled "It's time to leave!". Needless to say, I did, following him up the basement stairs and out the door, flames licking at my heels. I found myself standing in 8" of snow, naked, holding his stereo reciever.

How could a dream manage to predict something like that? Sleep could be considered a downtime when our brains batch-process all our sensory intake from the day, making sense of it. Perhaps that dream from several years before recognized a fire hazard that my waking mind didn't pick up. Of course that dream wouldn't have had data that my brother would join the navy, or be home on that particular day.

Since then, I've always taken heed when I have a strong feeling or premonition about something. On several occasions those premonitions have been dead on.

Reactions: OmiOMy
MaxxH said:
I intended to reply to this when you first put it up. Sorry that I didn't and sorry you had to go through that.. I popped in today and was surprised and a little disturbed that it didn't get some discussion. The topic is certainly worthy on a couple of counts.

1. Anaphylaxis is no joking matter. It's a good thing that it's finally getting some media attention so people recognize it. Mrs. Maxx discovered she had a problem while visiting Maxxette a few years ago. A visit to the ER and subsequent testing revealed severe sensitivity to poison ivy and related plants. The episode was apparently triggered by Maxxette's neighbor burning some brush. Just inhaling a bit of the smoke set her off. She now carries an epipen everywhere.

2. Your NDE brings up some fascinating thoughts on the workings of the brain. While I'm somewhere between skeptic and undecided on the topic of paranormal, I do believe in the possibility that dreams and experiences like yours can predict future events. One dream in particular sticks with me from decades ago. I had a dream sometime in my teens about dying in a house fire, then coming back as a ghost and talking to my mom in the back yard. Some years later, there was a house fire that followed my dream in disturbing detail, except that I didn't die. My brother happened to be home on leave from the navy. He ripped my door off the hinges and yelled "It's time to leave!". Needless to say, I did, following him up the basement stairs and out the door, flames licking at my heels. I found myself standing in 8" of snow, naked, holding his stereo reciever.

How could a dream manage to predict something like that? Sleep could be considered a downtime when our brains batch-process all our sensory intake from the day, making sense of it. Perhaps that dream from several years before recognized a fire hazard that my waking mind didn't pick up. Of course that dream wouldn't have had data that my brother would join the navy, or be home on that particular day.

Since then, I've always taken heed when I have a strong feeling or premonition about something. On several occasions those premonitions have been dead on.
Yeah, literally no one outside of what's basically all that's left of a long-distance coven has shown interest. Literally just lost a "friend" that thought she was right in demanding why I hadn't sent a 'happy Samhain' message the day my fiance had to stab me back to life. (This is a MESSY story for later.) She didn't even ask if I was OK, now that I think about it.

1) Scary story time: for the longest time, the worst juniper did to me was make my mouth and the insides of my bones itch. Annoying, but Benadryl will fix it. Well, when I moved out here and got my new doctor, I told him about the allergy, specifying that it was mild—but that I had had the sense that it was safest to have one on hand in case anything changed. I hadn't expected him to agree (or even listen, as the last doc hadn't), but he did. THAT...was almost exactly to the year that this went down. Yikes huh? It's such a weird sensation; I could feel my body basically blowing all its fuses at once, but it stopped hurting after a bit. Once I couldn't breathe, I just felt like I needed a nap. An irresistible nap that I had to be yanked out of, BUT—

2) You know, I've read the literature on this stuff, over and over. I've seen science take it apart piece by piece, last firing neurons and brain shutting down this. The list of "universal" NDE elements that science has basically agreed on basically amounts to “you're hallucinating a combination of your strongest faith beliefs and your culture.”

I couldn't have been exposed to this particular hybrid architecture HERE. But I knew I'd seen it before. I could tell what I was looking at and in my head though it was absolutely GORGEOUS, it didn't have the ungrounded feel of a dream or a hallucination, which sometimes happens—I'm actually pretty certain at this point that I've actually been dropping out of this reality when I find myself on one of those streets. Just a little 3-second teleport to home for a quick breath of air, as a treat.

Nothing in the literature suggests that I'd literally receive a guided tour into my own apotheosis.

More accurately, it doesn't, if you're losing your divine connection.

Even though we'd just celebrated Samhain I'd been losing my connection. This brought it back and stoked its flames.

Back