So i get it but I don't

If I was a parent, sure I would like my child potty trained before he/she started school (K-12) However, I'm not going to look down on diapers or pull-ups, and teach my child, that diapers are not just for babies, and sometimes even older kids need them too.

Last edited:
RetroGamerGuy said:
I swear a few days ago i was listening to the radio in my car and i heard a story about a problem some state's schools were having where more kids are in diapers longer and schools have no one to change them since teachers are not payed nor obligated to do such a thing.

Sounds like the story in a video clip I had seen on YouTube, which was about the Buffalo (NY; the home of Buffalo Wings) area

chamberpot said:
My wife came home form a two week visit to my son's home,, she told me that "do you know that your grandson ( age 12) still wears pull ups to bed".. I said so what so doesn't his grandfather....lol she was not amused
Lots of kids have bedwetting troubles and I would have hoped your wife would know better than to make a big deal out of it. That hasn't ever been part of my ABDL-ness. I wasn't a bedwetter and I don't aspire to be one but should it ever happen to me or anyone I know, I sure wouldn't be judgmental about it.

Reactions: 12srepaid
You mean kindergarten? Some kids haven't developed the control to hold it for 2 or so hours and unless there's a bathroom in the classroom even then there could be a a few accidents. The same could be said for preschool whenever the child starts spending long amounts of time away from home and the bathroom. After that I'd think some sort of medical problem was present.
Could a kindergartener change themselves? Public schools aren't equipped to change or dispose of pull ups or diapers.

Even with the "train the child at thier own pace" method. There's still age appropriate responsible to consider. The world may becoming alot kinder but there's still bullying and prejeduce from kids and adults.

Maybe the parents are lazy, maybe they have thier reasoning. Maybe it's the kids refusal he or she could be a future member of this community. Who knows.

stareegirl said:
You mean kindergarten? Some kids haven't developed the control to hold it for 2 or so hours and unless there's a bathroom in the classroom even then there could be a a few accidents. The same could be said for preschool whenever the child starts spending long amounts of time away from home and the bathroom. After that I'd think some sort of medical problem was present.
Could a kindergartener change themselves? Public schools aren't equipped to change or dispose of pull ups or diapers.

Even with the "train the child at thier own pace" method. There's still age appropriate responsible to consider. The world may becoming alot kinder but there's still bullying and prejeduce from kids and adults.

Maybe the parents are lazy, maybe they have thier reasoning. Maybe it's the kids refusal he or she could be a future member of this community. Who knows.

I'm pretty sure its public school standard that by Kindergarten or 1st grade that all students entering have been potty trained; of course they may allow for exceptions if they have classes like Special Education where they know the students are behind the learning curve; and then needing diapers during those early years of school may be permitted.

But otherwise it is a Parents job to Potty Train the kid if they don't have a Physical or Developmental disability that makes it hard or impossible to potty train them.

I have seen episodes of The Nanny/SuperNanny where they said when a child say they are scared of Potty Training or have other "reasons" that it is just excuses and basically means the child doesn't want to do it.

At a certain age in normal circumstances the Parents should "Take Charge" and find a way to make it work (different children will need a different approach, but there are no excuses on the parents end if the child is physically and developmentally normal)

Wow, lots of judgement going on here by people who don't have kids. Go through it yourself, and maybe you'll understand a little more.

FWIW, most parents would much rather potty train a child than spend years changing diapers. Anyone who thinks that a parent who changes a child 4-6 times a day (and pays for all those diapers - they're not cheap!) Is lazy, is someone who hasn't raised a child.

There are lots of reasons why children might potty train late, and parental laziness is unlikely to be anywhere in the top 20.

Reactions: chamberpot and Trevor
stareegirl said:

I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure if you can teach a kid to tie their own shoes by the age of 5 you can also teach them how to change their own diapers. Or at the very least their own pullups.

RetroGamerGuy said:
I swear a few days ago i was listening to the radio in my car and i heard a story about a problem some state's schools were having where more kids are in diapers longer and schools have no one to change them since teachers are not payed nor obligated to do such a thing.

I wonder how much of a difference pull-ups are making in that? Will these schools allow kids in pull-ups, even if they usually stay dry?

and I can totally see teachers saying NOPE! to changing diapers. Teachers are there to teach, not to babysit.

bambinod said:
I wonder how much of a difference pull-ups are making in that? Will these schools allow kids in pull-ups, even if they usually stay dry?

and I can totally see teachers saying NOPE! to changing diapers. Teachers are there to teach, not to babysit.

Well I would imagine if a kid doesn't Poop themselves and they are changing their own Pull-Ups it shouldn't be an issue for the school.

Although Parents have a good 2-3 year time frame between "early" or "on time" potty training and sending their kids to school

so you would think if their kids are completely normal they would figure out an approach that works; stick to it, and get it done.

Sure changing Diapers isn't exactly "Lazy" but how much work does Potty Training take?

You would have to be on top of your kids and remind them to go to the Potty, take them there, clean them up when they have accidents, etc.

So it's not like either one is total laziness; both require some form of work.

But society expects kids to be potty trained before they enter public school, and if there isn't a good reason for them not to be; then you could arguably say the parents dropped the ball.

My Aunts and Uncles have potty trained their kids a bit late, but still got it done before their kids went into school (I think most of them are potty trained and dont think any of them started Public School yet)

Back